Thread: Fables for th' younguns.

Default Fables for th' younguns.

I am writing a few fables for the children of my siblings.
    After making a draft, I will create great illuminations of title on a page and recreate the fable in mediaeval style - I am quite accomplished with what some people call, 'calligraphy'.

I decided, browsing through the forum, that I might place one fable here - if it interests people to read something other than war stories.
    I have many other tid bits, as I like to play with words often;

"A boy awoke to the caw of a bird,
    Contrary to his taste,
    I have sung since early dawn my lad,
    There is no hour we may waste."

"The plump horse to the lean horse said,
    'I have the larger meal',
    The leaner said,
    'I have shortbread,
    Plums and cake which give me greater zeal'".

"What did you in the last half hour?
    I made verses sweet and sour,
    And they are tied now to my soul,
    But did your half hour make you whole?"

For a friend I filled an exercise book with one-page verses and illustrated them in places.

But on with the fable;

An ill-temper is destructive for he who holds it, and it isolates him from friends and the fruits of life.
    I exemplify the young Lion, who having left his mother, was dependent on other lords of the woodland for food.
    And in this new winter, he had no visit from his god-mother, Fortuna.
    The Ox could not allow to him a meal, nor the Horse, nor even the Hare could give relief to the hunger of the Lion.
    The Stag in the forest was the only noble whom he had not yet besought.
    He found the Stag foraging in a clear field, and approached him from a grove of rushes.
    When he came to the edge of the field, the Lion called out to his only patron;
    'Wouldst thou on me await, finest sir, and make ready the evening meal?'
    The Stag, disturbed from his business, replied hurriedly; 'So shall I, when thou wilt abide there in the rushes, 'til I from mine business have reach'd thee'.

So waited the Lion, and the Stag in the field about his business went.
    But though the mind of the Lion knew to await the Stag, his body knew not.
    His body demanded the evening meal, and the Lion had known no refusal to his body.
    Maddened by the pleadings of his stomach, the Lion charged into the field, that he might the sooner take the evening meal.
    The Stag, insulted by this impatience, spoke;
    'How foolish, that thou shouldst allow thy appetite to rule thee in the moment of salvation for ye both; for this can only mean starvation.'

finis.

I hope that this pleases.
    Last edited by PershsNhpios; 02-16-2009 at 10:22.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Default Re: Fables for th' younguns.

The wording seems rather complex for a childrens fable

Still, I like it. Thanks for sharing
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli