Thread: Campaign loading CTDs

Default Campaign loading CTDs

I have been editing my descr_strat as well as descr_regions and the region map. What I have done is edited the families of the factions and condensed Egypt and Sicily into two regions instead of six. I deleted all reference to Sicilia Poeni and Thebais etc in the relevant files and deleted map.rwm but whenever I load the campaign, it crashes. I have tried everything I can think of. The only other idea I have is that I have deleted all characters for several factions as I am completely re-doing the family trees. Could this be a cause of CTD's?

Principate Total War

< from Emperor of Graal for PTW

Default Re: Campaign loading CTDs

Quote Originally Posted by luke_liddle View Post
    I have been editing my descr_strat as well as descr_regions and the region map. What I have done is edited the families of the factions and condensed Egypt and Sicily into two regions instead of six. I deleted all reference to Sicilia Poeni and Thebais etc in the relevant files and deleted map.rwm but whenever I load the campaign, it crashes. I have tried everything I can think of. The only other idea I have is that I have deleted all characters for several factions as I am completely re-doing the family trees. Could this be a cause of CTD's?
    If you haven't done so, add "-show_err" to the shortcut you use to start RTW (without the quotes).

You only mentioned two text files (descr_strat and descr_regions) but there are (at least) four that need to be edited:

data\text\<<Campaign_or_Map>>regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    data\world\maps\base\descr_regions.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt

(the last three, if you are using a provincial campaign map will be in data\world\maps\campaign\<<provincial_campaign_name>>\)

---

It sounds like not all the files were altered, leaving references to the deleted regions in (most likely) the data\text regions_and_settlement_names file and the map descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup file.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Lysander View Post
    If you haven't done so, add "-show_err" to the shortcut you use to start RTW (without the quotes).

You only mentioned two text files (descr_strat and descr_regions) but there are (at least) four that need to be edited:

data\text\<<Campaign_or_Map>>regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    data\world\maps\base\descr_regions.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt

(the last three, if you are using a provincial campaign map will be in data\world\maps\campaign\<<provincial_campaign_name>>\)

---

It sounds like not all the files were altered, leaving references to the deleted regions in (most likely) the data\text regions_and_settlement_names file and the map descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup file.
    Thanks for the heads up. I think ive edited them all but il double check. Also it crashed straight to desktop with no error message and i have show_err on the shortcut.

Principate Total War

< from Emperor of Graal for PTW

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

try reading the sticky thread
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=85902
    pay close attention to exactly when your campaign crashes and if you are getting a new map.rwm or not, then look for that symptom in that thread.

descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt isn't actually used if you've got RTW patched to 1.5 or BI 1.6

having too many names, or even duplicated names in
    <<Campaign_name>>_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    doesn't hurt - in fact it can be safer to just add new stuff to bottom of that one.

if you've re-done the family trees make sure the names are exactly right and that you've taken them from the right faction / gender section of descr_names.txt --- wrong names will make it crash without error message
    Last edited by Makanyane; 02-16-2009 at 15:33. Reason: didn't see last post
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane View Post
    try reading the sticky thread
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=85902
    pay close attention to exactly when your campaign crashes and if you are getting a new map.rwm or not, then look for that symptom in that thread.

descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt isn't actually used if you've got RTW patched to 1.5 or BI 1.6

having too many names, or even duplicated names in
    <<Campaign_name>>_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    doesn't hurt - in fact it can be safer to just add new stuff to bottom of that one.

if you've re-done the family trees make sure the names are exactly right and that you've taken them from the right faction / gender section of descr_names.txt --- wrong names will make it crash without error message
    There's also The modder's Guide to CTDs. Both of them have a wealth of information (but, obviously, don't remove the human errors.)

I didn't think about character name issues - but those should always be checked.

luke_liddle:

I don't know if you commented anything out of the files, but not all of the files use ";" as a comment marker - the file in data/text uses "¬ " instead.