Thread: Too soon

Default Too soon

Anyone else have this problem? Ever time, no matter who I play as, I play on the hardest difficulty with the hardest options, and I roll the entire world in a ridiculously small amount of turns. I never get gunpowder, I never get to the new world, so I miss out on all thos features. The only thing I could think of is that I should deliberately play slow, but each time I try I end up blitzing. :P Has anyone here ever gotten to the America's portion of the game without deliberately playing slow?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Default Re: Too soon

Doubt it. It seems to me that the AI is so warlike of action and stubborn in negotiation, so stupid and unthinking, that the game tends to last a much shorter time than it should. Part if that is also to whole premise of the strategic map in that there are only a few provinces and each is controlled by a single settlement, and approach which I believe is fundamentally flawed.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Yes, by modding
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Yes without a mod it's pretty difficult.

It's just nature of the beast.

First there is money, you usually cannot upgrade enough cities without war or a crusade, which inevitably sends you either into anti pope or pope's only ally in a sea of heathens :P, either way your kinda stuck.

Combine this with the fact that EVERY single faction will attack you with in 5-10 turns of you being on thier border, and the fact the AI never seems to go broke, and you've got disaster.

I've tried Sicliy, Venice, Denmark, Hungary and Poland in the past week. It's always the same. Once you fight a nation, any nation, you have to completely wipe them out. Then usually 2-3 other nations attack you in mean time. It's ridiculous. I mean when you've taken 6 of milans 7 cities you'd think they'd be like, hey let's back down and regroup, but they don't.

The problem is if you do very easy it is to easy, because the Ai dosn't even seem to try to attack you EVER, but on Medium it goes into full blitzkrieg mode.

If they had something between Very Easy and Medium i'd be happy, but they dont :(

Sadly in alot of ways I prefer the AI of MTW 1, but the graphics of MTW 2 are just so much better, it's hard to resist the prettiness of it.

lol, I have the same prob. They all attack me and I need to wipe them out. I end up with the entire map often before the Mongols invade. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

I have had some success by playing a chivalrous game and giving some captured settlements to the Pope to create barriers.

You could try Stainless Steel 6.2; the combination of the huge map, the lower sacking income and the supply system mean I find it takes a lot longer to expand; I tend to expand more or less continuously and I find it typically takes me 20 odd turns just to mop up the nearby rebels and be ready to start my first war against another faction. I did recently finish a SS6.1 campaign as England, I wrapped up the whole map by turn 180-ish (about the mid 1300s, so well after gunpowder and Mongols) and about half of the provinces were conquered by some fairly frantic blitzing in the last 100 years or so of the campaign.

Of course, the downside is SS6.X has no Americas or Timurids, but TBH I find both of those events to be something of a novelty; fun to do once, but not really worth waiting for every campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by PBI View Post
    You could try Stainless Steel 6.2; the combination of the huge map, the lower sacking income and the supply system mean I find it takes a lot longer to expand; I tend to expand more or less continuously and I find it typically takes me 20 odd turns just to mop up the nearby rebels and be ready to start my first war against another faction. I did recently finish a SS6.1 campaign as England, I wrapped up the whole map by turn 180-ish (about the mid 1300s, so well after gunpowder and Mongols) and about half of the provinces were conquered by some fairly frantic blitzing in the last 100 years or so of the campaign.

Of course, the downside is SS6.X has no Americas or Timurids, but TBH I find both of those events to be something of a novelty; fun to do once, but not really worth waiting for every campaign.
    sounds good. i might check it out pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Anyone else have this problem? Ever time, no matter who I play as, I play on the hardest difficulty with the hardest options, and I roll the entire world in a ridiculously small amount of turns. I never get gunpowder, I never get to the new world, so I miss out on all thos features. The only thing I could think of is that I should deliberately play slow, but each time I try I end up blitzing. :P Has anyone here ever gotten to the America's portion of the game without deliberately playing slow?
    Simple solution: turtle. Quickly get your base of maybe 10 provinces or so, then cmpletely cease all expansion until after the arrival of gunpowder. Spend all your cash on high end barracks so that you can roll out the musketeers as soon as they become available. A post-gunpowder game is alot of fun and well worth the turtling.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Simple solution: turtle. Quickly get your base of maybe 10 provinces or so, then cmpletely cease all expansion until after the arrival of gunpowder. Spend all your cash on high end barracks so that you can roll out the musketeers as soon as they become available. A post-gunpowder game is alot of fun and well worth the turtling.
    yeah.
    that would fall under the "deliberately playing slow" strategy.
    still fun, if you are into that kinda thing.

Thumbs up Re: Too soon

With FactionHeir's vanillamod, I have no problem. Just don't blitz the map.

I haven't found any fun in blitzing the map. Just RP the game and rule your kingdom as you would in RL. That way, the game will last forever (literally), and wars won't be your sole concern.

I haven't been at war for 15 years (30 turns), and I'm bordering so many different factions with my colonies scattered across the map. In fact, due to a complicated set of alliances and protectorates, the entire map is at peace except for the Balkan and Baltic areas. I might send peacekeeping forces there...

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    With FactionHeir's vanillamod, I have no problem. Just don't blitz the map.

I haven't found any fun in blitzing the map. Just RP the game and rule your kingdom as you would in RL. That way, the game will last forever (literally), and wars won't be your sole concern.

I haven't been at war for 15 years (30 turns), and I'm bordering so many different factions with my colonies scattered across the map. In fact, due to a complicated set of alliances and protectorates, the entire map is at peace except for the Balkan and Baltic areas. I might send peacekeeping forces there...
    yeah i just started playing that today.
    its much more slow paced.
    although playing as russia, with 10000 miles btwn everything probably influenced it a little too.
    but the AI is noticeably not as annoyingly aggressive, and certain things take longer to build/train.

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    A post-gunpowder game is alot of fun and well worth the turtling
    Post-gunpowder? We get blasters? Or super lasers?

Quote Originally Posted by Noncommunist View Post
    Post-gunpowder? We get blasters? Or super lasers?
    Nuclear:TW

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

On topic please. Post gunpowder = after gunpowder has been developed and factions that can obtain it hgave built appropriate buildings.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)