Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Bad move! What is fair?

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Discussion: Bad move! What is fair?

ETW is set up so that it may only be played after activation via Steam.

I have no problem with that. That is not what the thread is about.

Amazon, and likely all other mail-order retailers are not shipping the game until the March 4th.

That is where I have a problem!

In the absence of explanation I take it that this is in accord with instructions from CA/Sega and I find it a little infuriating. If one may be a little infuriated…

This is unfair to mail order customers who preordered the product with the intent of having it in hand on release day.

It pretty much negates the reason for preordering at all.

It would seem to give Steam an unfair marketing advantage over and above its already exclusive online distribution.

Steam customers may download the game two days prior to activation, but retailers can not ship to customers! WHY? Or should I ask why not?

When I checked preorders for games at play.com I saw that ETW SF is #2 and ETW is #3 on the list.
    I can only assume that figures are similar for the other mail-order retailers.

I am sure that most of us would have dispensed with the bother of preordering the game had we know that its shipping would be delayed until a day or more after it became available in shops and may have instead gone to a local shop and reserved our copy…

[B]Surely there must be some very compelling reason for this in CA/Sega’s eyes.

What the heck is it?[/B]

Last edited by Fisherking; 02-17-2009 at 14:25.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Default Re: Discussion: Bad move! What is fair?

steam could have payed CA for having it one day early or it could be in there agreement with CA from the begining.

I am just glad i did not had to wait 1-2 weeks before having it after the game was released in USA (that was the case in MTW2 IIRC) and those guyse that have downloaded it though steam must download 15 gb al of them at the same time, i realy do not envy them.

so i have no problem with it.
    Last edited by Merak; 02-17-2009 at 14:59. Reason: darn spelling

It would seem to give Steam an unfair marketing advantage over and above its already exclusive online distribution.
    That's the point.

It's a 15 gig game, even with 2 days prior preload, i'm sure Steam is figuring only people with fast net are going to actually get it that early, aka hard core gamers. So it's just a minor perk for people who they think may buy the sf edition from steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    That's the point.

It's a 15 gig game, even with 2 days prior preload, i'm sure Steam is figuring only people with fast net are going to actually get it that early, aka hard core gamers. So it's just a minor perk for people who they think may buy the sf edition from steam.
    Well, I don’t see it as wise nor do I see it as fair.

It will not help Steam significantly and it treats the most loyal and enthusiastic fans as second class or worse.

The mail order houses should at the very least be able to deliver at the same time the retail shops have the game.

It helps no one!

It is ill conceived and damaging to their image.

Mark Twain

I agree because Gamestop where I pre-ordered said they get the shipment in late on the 3rd and will be able to sell it to me at 9 am on the 4th I can then activate it at 10 am Mountain Time.
    Last edited by pyradyn; 02-17-2009 at 16:18.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    When you find yourself sinking into madness, Dive!
    WE WANT A...............DEMO!
    This message is brought to you by the Demo Legions. If you have the Demo remember this, We will find you!

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

Yeah, I've worked for Amazon.com for the past several years, and if they are not shipping until the 4th (day after release) its because they have been told to. Normal circumstances, Amazon aims to ship preorders so that the customer gets their order on release day, especially this time of year, when business is a little slower, giving extra time to ship standard shipment preorders, and not just 1st or 2nd days. It all depends on the labor and rate for that day, they decide how deep into the order que to dip after all priorities have been picked, packaged and shipped.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by crazyviking03 View Post
    Yeah, I've worked for Amazon.com for the past several years, and if they are not shipping until the 4th (day after release) its because they have been told to. Normal circumstances, Amazon aims to ship preorders so that the customer gets their order on release day, especially this time of year, when business is a little slower, giving extra time to ship standard shipment preorders, and not just 1st or 2nd days. It all depends on the labor and rate for that day, they decide how deep into the order que to dip after all priorities have been picked, packaged and shipped.
    I guess that says it all...

I would rather this not be a big deal, and there is still time for it not to be.

But come the 3rd or 4th of March there are going to be a lot of disappointed people if they don’t have a game in hand, that they have paid for. And many of them are going to be angry when they find out why they don’t have the game.

It would seem to me that this time the preorders are much more in demand than in the past. The interest in this game seems much larger than in the past titles, just from the numbers I see visiting Parliament.

The number of new people who have joined the Guild just to talk about the game is a bit staggering when you look at it.

A lot of the member here are also members at the other forums and word gets around.

These people are not going to be happy campers when they learn that CA or Sega has delayed their copy of the game.

Unhappy members tend to make an inordinate amount of noise and it is not going to help the products sails one bit.

I just hope they quietly make the changes necessary and it never causes a peep….but I guess we will see.

Mark Twain

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

I think unless you picked overnight as your shipping, you won't see it on the 4th. When I got mine from Bestbuy, the email said I should expect it anywhere from the 4th to the 10th. I'm more than certain I won't see it on the 4th since I picked the standard shipping option.

thank god im gonna get mine in the store i mean whats the bloody point of waiting for a game when you could walk to the nearset game store and just give the guy the money and get the game it should not be that bloody hard i just see no point in pre ordering
    There Can Only Be WAR!!!!!
    I bid You Stand Men of the west

this is my army

I can sympathize with your frustration, but here are a couple of things to consider:
    1. According to the FAQ on totalwar.com, you don't have to active a retail copy on Steam in order to play the single player. You only need to active for multiplayer. So if people did get their preordered copies early, they could play before the release date.
    2.Amazon is often slow in filling preorders. It's a really a problem with pre-orders in general, and not just them, but they seem to have a lot of trouble being timely. So, if having it on day 1 is a priority, I would just look for it at a brick and mortar or get it on Steam and not bother with a pre-order at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bscssc View Post
    1. According to the FAQ on totalwar.com, you don't have to active a retail copy on Steam in order to play the single player. You only need to active for multiplayer. So if people did get their preordered copies early, they could play before the release date.
    this will make alot of people happy, me especially cos i hate steam with passion and was the only reason i was thinkin of not buying ETW.

however this is the first i have heard of this up till now it was register on steam for all copies.
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Quote Originally Posted by bscssc View Post
    Where does it say that? It says that you have to authenticate the game on Steam, but after that you don't have to have Steam online to play single player. You won't be allowed to authenticate the game before the 3rd or 4th.

You may be right. I had read that as saying that activation via Steam requires connecting to the internet, but that activation is only necessary if you want to play online. Now it seems less clear.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You need to activate it via steam before using. It will launch via steam (most likely) but you can put steam in offline mode. Obviously to play multiplayer, you will need steam online.

Imagine it is a CD key like it used to be. Instead of typing in the key, you simply let steam realise you have the game installed. It then notes that and that copy can't be used for anyone else.

edit: Empire: Total War will still most likely come with a CD key, and then you activate it as such:

Afterwhich it will appear in the Installed Games part of Steam.
    Last edited by pevergreen; 02-19-2009 at 14:43.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

this seems to be a bad idea

last year when football manager was released it required activation by steam and there was so much traffic that it took a couple of days before most people could play a game that they had bought

I just picked up Dawn of War 2 today and have to go through the same ridiculous Steam garbage.

Same thing with DoW2 - Different activation periods depending upon region. Just a mess. You wind up with the people who preordered the game waiting, hence rendering preorders now irrelevant.

Still, I have Empire reserved at my local Gamestop and it will arrive on the 4th. I'm glad it isn't showing up on the 3rd because as we know: Steam will lock the game until the 4th anyway.

Steam sucks.

Didn’t the site say 1800 GMT March 3rd?

Mark Twain

Newtownards, Co.Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Damn i was really hoping to get playing right away without bothering with stam until i went for MP...

Hopefully steam will make up for it someway or another in multiplayer.

"Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"
    - Voltaire

"There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."
    - 1st Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley

No place like home.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KozaK13 View Post
    Damn i was really hoping to get playing right away without bothering with stam until i went for MP...

Hopefully steam will make up for it someway or another in multiplayer.
    Steam has very reliable and stable MP servers, and a reasonable matchmaking service. It also allows you to earn Steam Achivements, thus allowing you to show off to friends .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Steam has very reliable and stable MP servers, and a reasonable matchmaking service. It also allows you to earn Steam Achivements, thus allowing you to show off to friends .
    I've never used Steam yet...so I'll take your word for it on it's reliability and features. I know that many here at the .org think alike and can identify quality as opposed to a heap.

That said, the business aspect of it is what bothered me with this. Paying for and physically possessing a product and not being able to use it (locked out of single player? wtf) for over 24 hours simply because Steam exists as a company, leads to anti-Steam sentiment.

I haven't installed DoW2 yet and probably won't until they fix the Day 1 game breaking MP bug (population bug) but I'll report back on how I like Steam after I use it.

At least it'll be all set up for me when Empire drops.

How absurd this is, I will buy a proper, physical copy of Empire, yet CA have seen fit to deny me the right of using that which I have puchased and is now mine by forcing me to go through with some idiotic activation scheme, which due to traffic will probably take ages, what If I have no connection at the time?
    Shows a complete disrespect of the consumer.

Oh well, they will all get their dues in the near fuure I suppose.
    Last edited by Incongruous; 02-20-2009 at 02:20.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

OK

Dont buy it. Don't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToeAndno View Post
    OK

Dont buy it. Don't play it.
    I see, yet another who sees no issue with the eroding of cunsumer rights, well I do and this is wrong.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

I've had Steam for years, never had a problem with it. So for me this is not an issue.

If you indeed feel it is wrong then you will not buy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ToeAndno View Post
    I've had Steam for years, never had a problem with it. So for me this is not an issue.

If you indeed feel it is wrong then you will not buy the game.
    Point proven.

When you puchase an item with your hard earned money, it should from then on be yours to do as you wish under the law, which means no copying or other illegal uses which it may be put to. You should not be forced to "activate" a game you now own and have bought in good faith, such an obstruction of use is akin to stealing, CA now has your money yet does not allow you to use their product immediatley after purchase. I find this to be rather shady and dishonest.

Sig by Durango

-Oscar Wilde

I don’t want this thread to become a lightning rod for various digital rights management issues. So long as the consumer of a digital rights product knows in advance the conditions of lawful use, then no “shady or dishonest” behavior is evident. Calumny will not be tolerated.
    Express opinions and speak your mind as you please. But take care to remain civil and nonabrasive.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Surely then, thats the same as having to input a CD key when installing the majority of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar View Post
    How absurd this is, I will buy a proper, physical copy of Empire, yet CA have seen fit to deny me the right of using that which I have puchased and is now mine by forcing me to go through with some idiotic activation scheme, which due to traffic will probably take ages, what If I have no connection at the time?
    Shows a complete disrespect of the consumer.

Oh well, they will all get their dues in the near fuure I suppose.
    Exactly!!!

Noone should be "forced" to use steam or whatever for a product one already paid for. Its not even the possible connection issues that bother me, but the abuse and disrespect of a paying consumer. Its the same as saying that ETW isnt a finnished product.

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Lets see : a mostly single player game that requires permission from a multi player provider ?
    A game someone has payed money for {it will retail here in Queensland for atleast $80} that most people will never play over the internet {ie don't do M.P.} never the less absolutely requires that one connect to the internet {thus , have such a connection working and available at the time} inorder to actually use what one has , again , paid their own money for ?

Either , it is not the case and the disc comes with the usual activation key and that is all that is required

OR

It is a very silly and intrusive descision by Sega for it really sounds too dumb a move to have come from folks at The C/A from what I have gleaned of their apparant intelligence {ie , they seem too smart to do something that dumb} .

None of these sorts of "security" features will stop pirates nor slow them down much {certainly not in proportion to the number of customers whom get annoyed and the degree of said anoyance} as has been demonstrated by the pirated game "industry" yet the providers of such "security" features {and some of which are so badly designed they could be called bugs rather than features like the one that would perminantly disable C.D./D.V.D drives for detecting legitimate to own software} keep managing to fool purse string holding bean counters into using their services .
    Major shareholders of the game producing companies {and most other corporations too} really need to stop focusing only on the performance of companies on the stock market and start paying much closer attention to how the corporations they invest vast sums of money into are actually run .
    I feel sorry for The C/A having to subject themselves to the system as it stands . It has runed good game companies before today {I wouldn't be the least supprised if one of the biggest reasns The C/A left Activision was Activisions roll in wrecking Troika and Troikas' last game} . [/rant]
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could be worse, they could have copied EA.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast