Thread: i wonder ?

Default i wonder ?

are there going to mercs you can recurit from region to region like in prevouis TW games cuz i have read all the articles and they have not mentioned mercs that you can recruit
    Last edited by The Blind Samurai; 02-17-2009 at 23:14.
    There Can Only Be WAR!!!!!
    I bid You Stand Men of the west

this is my army

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Default Re: i wonder ?

I think I read a recent review/preview that mentioned that while mercenaries are not recruitable the game does have region specific units. I'm not sure where I read this though, or how accurate the article was.

I'd prefer if mercs were in the game, so let's hope we see them.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

yes or i will do what many noble samurai have done before me harakiri tradition demands it although i may have trouble considering that iam blind

but i would love to go to scotland and recurit scotsmen as france or prussia

this is my army

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

If there are mercs in the game, they wouldn't be represented the same way they have been in previous games. Im embarassed, since I have a history degree, but I have only read random instances of mercs in the 18th century, and even then they are more like borrowed muscle from other national armies rather than hired soldiers; thus I have no clue if mercs played such a role as they did in earlier centuries.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

mercs still play a role even today. although on a much smaller scale. I hope there are mercs but only in mods.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazyviking03 View Post
    ...but I have only read random instances of mercs in the 18th century, and even then they are more like borrowed muscle from other national armies rather than hired soldiers; thus I have no clue if mercs played such a role as they did in earlier centuries.
    That is pretty much how it worked. So mercs should be hired by diplomacy and friendly factions delivering units instead of the old TW way. It did mean a substantial income for some of the German states doing it.

CBR

shoot. We were learning about the American revolutionary war during school last quarter...George washington was pretty much cornered so he decided to cross some river and attack some town fortified by elite (german?) mercenaries of some sort from the british. At least I think so....

Wat you are talking about is the crossing of the Delaware where Washington crossed with about a few hundred men and took on the hessain forces at trenton new jersey where the germans suffred 100 casualties while the amercians only 7 and they also captured 896 troops hope that helps

this is my army

Lightbulb Re: i wonder ?

Is that famous or something?

Anyways, I don't think those Germans were mercenaries. IIRC, they were mainly troops recruited from Hanover, which was a British possesion (or was the British Empire a Hanover possesion? ).

Someone, please clarify and explain better than me, thankyouverymuch.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Ooh, I can help!

*Ahem.

Once upon a time, there was a German state (The real term is rather confusing) called Hesse-Kassel. The ruler needed money, and the Brits needed soldiers (Good relations between the two as well) So they paid for some soldiers from Hesse-Kassel, as well as some other places. The majority were Hessians, so that's why they called them that. Not really mercs, more like diplomatic possesions. But they definitely weren't British troops recruited from British lands.

They weren't "Elite" soldiers, but they were well-trained, and generally did well in battle. That's why Washington defeating them is so famous. The colonials didn't like them very much in the first place, what with not speaking English and all, so it was alright.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

They weren't "Elite" soldiers, but they were well-trained, and generally did well in battle. That's why Washington defeating them is so famous. The colonials didn't like them very much in the first place, what with not speaking English and all, so it was alright
    Yes it had nothing to do with the fact that washington suprise ambushed them on a holiday :P

Poor germans...they just wanted to drink the beer and eat sausage...so cruel washington...so cruel..how can you deny a Hessian his eggnog? :P

They have to say though that Washington (who is famed for having retreated from more battles then he won historically) defeated Elite soldiers, and the British, with his cunning.

because the amazing lifesize portrait wouldn't be quite as meaningful if beneath it they put

"This was when he defeated drunken germans on a holiday night."
    Last edited by Polemists; 02-18-2009 at 05:54.

Ya poor Germans not getting their beer. However remember it is the victor that writes history not the losers. Besides, the Prussians were actually helping the Americans train their regulars to a degree.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    When you find yourself sinking into madness, Dive!
    WE WANT A...............DEMO!
    This message is brought to you by the Demo Legions. If you have the Demo remember this, We will find you!

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pyradyn View Post
    Besides, the Prussians were actually helping the Americans train their regulars to a degree.
    Who wasn't? They had French, Polish, Prusian and who knows what other nationalities in various roles within the army.

1. I read somewhere in a german tw-forum a post from Thamis (he is german btw) where he clarified: "No more mercs in ETW"

2. Maybe the "Steuben" - Parade has something to do with all the beer drinking germans, fighting for nowadays "god owns country"?

If i remember correct ... the Hessians prefer wine (apple wine) ... real sweet stuff.
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Avatar made by Durango Signature made by 777Ares777 and proudly used by Marten!

Also nationalism hadn't developed like it did in the 19th century. It wasn't unussual for gentlemen from say one of the Italian or german stated to serve in the imperial, french or russian armies.

As was said in the above posts the british went shopping on a large scale for troops among the german states in the seven years war. One could say that with the subsidies they provided to the king of prussia he was also in their pay.
    One of the episcopal clergymen who attended him went to the edge of the scaffold, and called out in a loud voice, "My lord dies a Protestant." "Yes,"
    said the Earl, stepping forward, "and not only a protestant, but with a heart hatred of Popery, of Prelacy, and of all superstition." He then embraced
    his friends, put into their hands some tokens of remembrance for his wife and children, kneeled down, laid his head on the block, prayed during a
    few minutes, and gave the signal to the executioner.
    - The death of the Earl of Argylle

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

There were also the Irish Brigades of the Spanish and French Armies as well as Scottish Regiments in the French Army.

I have a little trouble with the Special Unit for the French. It was one of several in the French Army and they never owned Ireland.

A full 75% of the French troops sent to the aid of the Americans in the American War of Independence were Irish and Scottish. While no actual recruiting took place in these countries they were assisted in getting to France and placed in their own Regiments.

But strictly speaking Mercenary troops were mostly absent in European wars after the 30 Years War.

Mercenaries were what the Americans called foreign troops in British pay. It had a touch of propaganda value.

It was also not unusual for British Gentlemen to gain military experience by joining French service or that of another nation with high military regard, at least prior to the French Revelation.

Russia was always eager to have Western Officers and many were offered service there.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain