Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At $1000 a second...

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default At $1000 a second...

So, in a random turn of conversation I had today, the topic came up about how awesome it would be to make $1,000 a second (ignoring the natural inflation effects). Being the nerd I am, I decided to do some calculations to see how far this would go, and at the end of my final calculation I stared as the realization dawned over me.

In one minute, you make $60,000, which could pay off so much tuition. It's also a year's salary (more than a year's salary) for a lot of people.

In one hour, you make $3.6 million. This is enough to set aside and ensure that you will never have to work for the rest of your life.

In one day, you make $86.4 million. You could buy and sell all but the largest companies with this kind of money.

In one week, you make $604.8 million. This is larger than the 2008 GDP of 19 countries (CIA World Factbook via Wiki).

In one 31-day month, you make $2.67 billion. By comparison, the estimated value of the Dallas Cowboys is $1.612 billion.

In one year, you make $31.5 billion. This would make you the seventh-richest person in the world.

In ten years, you make $315 billion.

So, at $1,000 a second... for ten years... you make less than half of what the stimulus package calls for.

Just thought I'd put that in perspective.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Default Re: At $1000 a second...

The conclusion this leads me to is that they should just give all the money to me....
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 02-18-2009 at 04:21.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Hmmm, I never really looked at it that way... that's quite a lot of money.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Some say if that you don't spend 2 dollars per day you will end having 1 millon dollars in 10 years...

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Quote Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Some say if that you don't spend 2 dollars per day you will end having 1 millon dollars in 10 years...
    $2 x 365 = $730
    $730 x 10 = $7300

Even with a really good investment, you would be hard pressed to turn that into $1 million. Unless of course inflation took hold.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Some say if you save a penny a day rainbows will shoot out of your

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    CountArach got there first
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 02-18-2009 at 04:31.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Wink Re: At $1000 a second...

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    In one minute, you make $60,000, which could pay off so much tuition. It's also a year's salary (more than a year's salary) for a lot of people.
    It would pay off about 5 degrees in Aus (more if exchange rate is taken into account)... the loans are all indexed to CPI and come out as a tax if you own over a certain threshold of tax.

Stimulus Package... sounds like a sex aid.

The latest Australian one is $42 Billion (about 4.2 pounds UK/ 10 euros), CPI might hit as low as -0.2% at the end of the year... not sure if that means uni loans go down to?
    Last edited by Papewaio; 02-18-2009 at 04:34.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio View Post
    The l,atest Australian one is $42 Billion (about 4.2 pounds UK/ 10 euros), CPI might hit as low as -0.2% at the end of the year... not sure if that means uni loans go down to?
    That's a nice thought...

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I would like a penny. Then I would like you to double my money supply everyday for 30 days.

Thank you.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Fine rollup, GH.

What's sad, is to go the other way, and figure out the time required, per taxpaying citizen, to bring the debt incurred to zero... "paid off".

Without doing the long division necessary, I'll estimate: 25 years.

So in 2034, when I'm dead, and my now-6 year old grandson is 31, his country will be debt-free if we don't try to borrow more money in the next 25 years (what are the odds of that?).
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Fine rollup, GH.

What's sad, is to go the other way, and figure out the time required, per taxpaying citizen, to bring the debt incurred to zero... "paid off".

Without doing the long division necessary, I'll estimate: 25 years.

So in 2034, when I'm dead, and my now-6 year old grandson is 31, his country will be debt-free if we don't try to borrow more money in the next 25 years (what are the odds of that?).
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 02-18-2009 at 04:35.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Wink Re: At $1000 a second...

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    $2 x 365 = $730
    $730 x 10 = $7300

Even with a really good investment, you would be hard pressed to turn that into $1 million. Unless of course inflation took hold.
    Now in Zimbabwe with 200 Billion% inflation it would take like a day to go from $2 to $1 million.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We borrow money to pay off the money we borrowed earlier. Good luck with that.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bah. Not like we ever pay off the debt completely anyways. Only done that once, and that Andrew Jackson, back when the monetary system functioned completely differently.

However, this is a rather large amount of debt.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Sorry sfts. You'll be my age then, and can maybe explain it to my Jake... like: "It seemed to be a good idea at the time. We learned better.".

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

It's a futile exercise, but one can only imagine how President Ron Paul would be handling the situation.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Some more rough math. Even if the rosiest stimulus claims are true- 3.5 millions jobs created or saved - it would work out to more than $220,000 per job. Good deal? You decide.....
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Some more rough math. Even if the rosiest stimulus claims are true- 3.5 millions jobs created or saved - it would work out to more than $220,000 per job. Good deal? You decide.....
    Well that or you pay that money in unemployment benefits to people - your choice Xiahou.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Well that or you pay that money in unemployment benefits to people - your choice Xiahou.
    No, it's not my choice.
    Paying out unemployment benefits to 3.5 million people would almost certainly be the cheaper option by far though. Going by what I could realistically expect in unemployment benefits, $220,000 could likely keep me funded for over 7 yrs.

And again, 3.5 million jobs saved/created is the best case estimate. The fact is, they'll never really be able to prove how many jobs will be created/saved.

Why not just give $200,000 to 3 million random people across the US? That would probably have a decent stimulant effect.
    (or maybe $100,000 to 6 million, or $50,000 to 12 million....)
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-18-2009 at 07:28.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Because the 12 million people they gave the money to wouldn't volunteer to go rebuild a bunch of bridges and highways? And there wouldn't be money left over to buy concrete and machinery?

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Reminds me of the article I saw a while back on CNN on what a trillion really means.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Oh yes, everybody and their father try to explain huge numbers to everybody else now.
    It is, however, completely unnecessary considering my bank account.
    Governments waste large sums anyway, so do companies, of course we somehow have to pay for all of it but knowing how many elephants one could buy from the money doesn't save us from that.
    Last edited by Husar; 02-18-2009 at 15:13.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

In one day, you make $86.4 million. You could buy and sell all but the largest companies with this kind of money.
    I think there are a surprising number of companies worth more than that, but I otherwise get what you're sayin'.

Post Re: At $1000 a second...

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Most salary's cost the employer a multiplier. Anything from 2 to 3 times the wage that the peon gets, the employer pays (insurance, pension, desk, toilets, recruiters).

Then you have to factor out of that $220k what percentage goes time vs material.

Assuming more then half goes in wages and overheads
    Assume that just $100k of that goes into materials (concrete, steel, PCs, servers... the actual material being used to do the job) etc.
    $120k left over. The peon then earns about $40 to $60k per annum, the rest being absorbed in overheads by the company.

In other budget news, as of 20 minutes ago (and 7 months late) California finally has a budget plan that passed http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1235...googlenews_wsj

'Bout time. My State Legislators are virtually useless.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    My State Legislators are virtually useless.
    On the bright side, by your assesment, at least they have virtue.
    This space intentionally left blank

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Well, my friend saw this and decided to put on his Republican blog.
    The wonders of the internet.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    On the bright side, by your assesment, at least they have virtue.
    I grant the point, and issue a

Sadly, i'd bet money that most of my Assemblymen would misspell virtue as 'verchew', and define it as 'some thingee about eating vers - whatever those are; poetry paragraphs, or something?'.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

That's only IF they "create" 3.5 million jobs. I have a feeling Hussien is more full of crap than a Thanksgiving turkey and pulled that number right out of the old anal database.... No Hope, keep the Change...
    RIP Tosa

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

gah
    Last edited by Devastatin Dave; 02-21-2009 at 05:55.
    RIP Tosa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast