Thread: I have an idea...

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default I have an idea...

Back a few months, there was a thread somewhere (which I cannot locate by searching ) which went along the lines of people aren't spelling correctly.

The idea was put forward by quite a few people that perhaps a few members should be appointed as, perhaps shall we say, grammer nazis that go around and edit something akin to this "OMG U LEIK TOTES HAX0r R0C|Cz0R" into readable english.

I just thought I would bring it up for discussion, would something like this work?
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Default Re: I have an idea...

I don't know, maybe if we find enough misantrophic volunteers ...

Tbh, I'm not in favour of this proposal. Bad language cannot be suppressed and while leetspeak has a tendency to derail threads, more often than not intelligence will prevail.

Post Re: I have an idea...

It would be an idea, and not one which I would oppose either. Maybe minor stuff should be permissible, but what you suggest shouldn't be really - I don't understand it. We probably should try incentives and rigorous advertisement campaigns first before turning into grammar fascists IMO.

Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

I don't like the idea of someone else, other than moderators, being able to tinker with my post. Adding and subtracting whatever the see fit. I can handle editing myself, thank you.

I offer to edit any post. I won't change a thing but the spelling. Honest.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

I prefer casual conversation to a serious academic atmosphere. People take many of the discussions too seriously as it is.

I always corrected spelling in the thread title though, because I figured whoever posted the thread would want me too.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    because I figured whoever posted the thread would want me too.
    Why would they want you too? Are you thát attractive
    Last edited by Andres; 02-18-2009 at 22:39.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hahaha, perfect. *slaps Andres high five*

And just so my post actually counts for something, I'm not sure if this is necessary. Let the offenders learn by example.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Why would they want you too? Are you thát attractive
    You should know...

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Just cuz u wanna add a buncha "u" 's where they don't belong.

Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

They can try to edit my posts but I will win that battle
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Back A few months ago, there was a thread somewhere, (which I cannot locate by searching ) that I can no longer locate, which went along the lines of generally stated that people aren't spelling correctly.

In that thread the idea was put forward, by quite a few people, that perhaps a few members should be appointed as, perhaps shall we say, Grammar Nazis, whose job would be to that go around and edit something akin to this improper posts, such as "OMG U LEIK TOTES HAX0r R0C|Cz0R," into readable English.

I just thought I would bring it this up for discussion once again. Would something an arrangement like this work be feasible and, if so, desirable?
    Fixed.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

That

Edit: Somehow i posted halfway through my post. I was going to say it looks a lot better Grammar Nazied. Grammar and Nazi are capitalised words ?

Edit 2: Ok, Nazi like Labour or Conservative but Grammar ?
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 02-20-2009 at 00:36.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Don't go making promises that you can't keep. I really don't think this would be a feasible idea. If I can't read and/or comprehend the leetspeak or whatever then I'm not part of the target audience...and I'm okay with that. Some things are just better left as is.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    That

Edit: Somehow i posted halfway through my post. I was going to say it looks a lot better Grammar Nazied. Grammar and Nazi are capitalised words ?

Edit 2: Ok, Nazi like Labour or Conservative but Grammar ?
    Grammar Nazi is a proper noun that refers to a specific omniscient being that embodies all that is good and right with the world. On occassion, this being has been known to inhabit one or more mortal bodies, with the aim of bestowing wisdom and enlightenment upon the pedestrian masses. It is sometimes referred to as God.
    Last edited by TinCow; 02-20-2009 at 01:15.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 02-20-2009 at 01:37.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Fixed.
    This post made me laugh out loud heartily. Well done.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen
    "OMG U LEIK TOTES HAX0r R0C|Cz0R"
    Just to point out that this is mostly American/English problem. Those, whose are not native English speakers, usually try to write as best as they can. Yes, spelling errors will occur and sentences are a bit odd but at least they try.
    But every time I see a post "OMG LOL U M KKHDMWIBUS@%543" (plus some letters and more numbers)makes me wonder what does those teachers there do all day long in schools! My 2 year old son writes like that!
    People from other countries don't speak your English dialect!!
    So it would be good if moderators could make those kind of post readable.
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 02-20-2009 at 22:15.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Don't you realisze that all the labour required to correct posts will be wasted?

If we allow this we are gonna get a bunch of American moderators adding 'z' everywhere and taking 'u' out of their proper places.

Then the English mods will retaliate because 'z'-ing your 's'-es is bloody preposterous...

...and then we ll have a US-UK war.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    Just to point out that this is mostly American/English problem. Those, whose are not native English speakers, usually try to write as best as they can. Yes, spelling errors will occur and sentences are a bit odd but at least they try.
    But every time I see a post "OMG LOL U M KKHDMWIBUS@%543" (plus some letters and more numbers)makes me wonder what does those teachers there do all day long in schools! My 2 year old son writes like that!
    People from other countries don't speak you English dialect!!
    So it would be good if moderators could make those kind of post readable.
    I'm no native speaker either

Meh, I think it would be better to replace this so called "1337-sp34k" by the notion "[insert random nonsense]".
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    I'm no native speaker either

Meh, I think it would be better to replace this so called "1337-sp34k" by the notion "[insert random nonsense]".
    Most non-native speakers i've met, either online or off, seem to write with better grammar than I do. I normally need about three edits to make mine seem as if I am not speaking craziness.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-20-2009 at 16:59. Reason: edits cuz i was TALKING CRAZINESS

For every one person who genuinely finds the correction useful there will be one who finds it demeaning to be corrected, another who is irked by another person meddling with their post, and three who do not care. For every five people who appreciate it there will be one who posts a corrected version of the correction, and engages on a debate to enlighten the one who made the edit.

Don't forget that some people are sensitive about their writing capabilities. Jumping in to edit like this would threaten to silence that section of the populace; I could see them refraining from posting from a combination of fear of being corrected and from embarrassment about their posting style.

As has been said, there are many here who speak English as a second/third/tenth language. I'm always in awe of their skill level, and have great respect for the effort that has gone into learning English. I would never offer a correction unless asked for one; it feels very condescending.

Anything to do with such a sensitive area needs to be fully voluntary, and on a basis which works for the volunteer. It cannot work as a blanket thing.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Maybe when certain people (perhaps designated, perhaps not) reply to the message they can append corrected/alternative spellings to the end of their reply, so that the thread shows up on searches?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    I prefer casual conversation to a serious academic atmosphere. People take many of the discussions too seriously as it is.
    I agree whole heartedly, it forms a feeling of embarrassment if a member keeps getting there posts corrected when there happy with them, it's just plain interfering and not needed as long as you know what they mean. People keep complaining about my grammar but I insist it's not that bad!

I like your idea, but it would be difficult to implement. The problem for me is that some of these editors would have different ways of writing specific word, so for example (to make it E:TW-friendly) the British would spell "revolutionise" while the Americans would spell "revolutionize". Although for leetspeak or whatever it's called, I understand completely, but how many users do we see here who just type like blocks of leetspeak?

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

How about we ban the offenders?
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

How about we just start a voluntary thread, where anyone who wants editing can post.
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 02-28-2009 at 21:19.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane