Thread: Removing zee Norton

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Default Removing zee Norton

Hello, recently a friends computer was infected with a very nasty virus and he couldnt get on the web, so I went on the web for him to look for A uninstall wizard for this paticular Fake Anti-Virus, I found a site which had this, the first download wanted me to run it rather than save it to my desktop to so I didnt let it (Vista acually done something good) the 2nd one however, when I downloaded to desktop, a few minutes later, I saw the horrible horrible Norton Security scan appear on my Desktop (I personally use AVG, used it for years and im fine) that file I downloaded mentioned nothing about norton and was still unzipped, so I immiedatly deleted both Norton and the File, the file is dead as dead is, but the Norton comesback like a common garden weed, Ive looked on Google for complete uninstalls but I was getting very suspicious.

But what the con-men didnt count on is that I can ask you lot.
    Many people have had problems with norton so what do you all recomend I do?
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Re: Removing zee Norton

Quote Originally Posted by Abokasee View Post
    But what the con-men didnt count on is that I can ask you lot.
    Many people have had problems with norton so what do you all recommend I do?
    What exactly is your problem?

If N. is installed, it means you can uninstall it, delete any remnants in your Program Files and user profiles, then delete any register keys with RegCleaner, CCleaner or what have you.

If you can't delete certain files, install Kill Box and apply with extreme prejudice.

If this doesn't work, you have a virus and it is NOT Norton. As bad as Norton is, it is not a virus. Norton should be deleted on sight anywhere, anytime, and its developers deserve a slow, extremely painful public execution. But it is not a virus and does not behave as such, i.e. it does not hijack browsers, open ports or destroy/replace files.

AFAIK, that is.

EDIT
    On several computer help which sites I trust it says that you have to use Norton's own Uninstall Wizard, any other wizard will not do because the program is made hacker-proof. With Norton that means it is easy on hackers and hard on legetimate users, I know. But that's the story.

You better consult Symantec and let them sort you out.

After which, of course, you kill them one by one with a sawn-off shotgun.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 02-21-2009 at 20:10.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott