Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Interest in a Beta 8.1 Weekend or Two?

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Default Re: Any Interest in a Beta 8.1 Weekend or Two?

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D View Post
    I don't know what could be causing this. Did you you already try a full install from scratch: MTW + VI + v1.02 patch + SW beta 8.0 + 8.1 patch?
    I can't play MTW/VI campaigns on this PC either; same issue, it crashes as soon as the campaign map tries to load. The only difference with Beta 8.1 was that Windows or the .Net Framework displayed a Windows-style dialog box with the message about placing a piece. Hadn't seen that before. I'm running the 2.0 version of the Framework with the latest SPx, as 3.0 caused a lot problems when I tried to upgrade. I don't think it's the mod; I think it's an issue with my current platform.

... If you want to suggest a time, I'll test the MP game with you. I'm home by 18:00 EST weekdays. Any time should be ok on weekends.
    KK, thanks Puzz. I've popped on to MSN a few times but haven't seen you on; CBR is on sometimes but is either marked Away or Busy, so I haven't intruded. I figured when the time was right I'd reach one of you.

I'll check MSN around 8:00 PM EST over the next couple of days, and this weekend. If you're available, pop on and I'll message you when I see you. Thanks again.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I'll check MSN around 8:00 PM EST over the next couple of days, and this weekend. If you're available, pop on and I'll message you when I see you. Thanks again.
    That's a good time for me.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Puzz and I tested tonight. All went well (except that no matter what I try, I can't host, gah). The maps look great, the sounds are STW and so is the music .

We had someone pop in via Gamespy. Got to talkin' and guess what--not only has he played SamWars mod, he and some buddies play it on a LAN. Learned some interesting things about LAN vs. MP server game play using SamWars, which I'll let Puzz elaborate on as it's technical. Anyway, the guy downloaded and installed 8.1 complete, and we played a test game. It worked great (he creamed me 1v1, heh). He said he'd been playing TW games for nine years so I guess I'll try to feel better about being so decisively stomped.

He's going to be on tomorrow night ... well, actually tonight (Friday night) around 7 PM EST (midnight GMT I believe), for some more games. Puzz said he'd join in, so if anyone out there wants to play, do come. Since it's Friday night, there'll prolly be others in the foyer playing VI too. I realize this is late notice and a late time to play for those in Europe, but I thought I'd put the word out anyway, just in case.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

You've discovered hidden players? That's great news.

Tell me more about the LAN differences.
    Did they play beta_8 on LAN without desyncs?

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

They were playing on Beta 5, I believe. Not sure, but I think it was a while ago.

I'm the wrong person to try and describe this, but I'll try. He said that when playing on the LAN, units upgraded in battle as they do in single-player campaign battles. Puzz "raised his eyebrow" at this ("I wasn't aware of that"), and questioned further. The guy spoke intelligently, and Puzz was intrigued about certain code/data being referenced from the SP campaign part of the game and not the MP part when playing a LAN game.

Puzz mentioned something about the prod file formerly containing data for both SP and MP, and that it was later split in subsequent revs. They mentioned stuff about the Gnome editor not handling things correctly and having to use tedious Notepad to get it right. I was a bit lost trying to follow them, so I'm probably making a mess here. I'm sure Puzz will elaborate on this later.

The guy had played with you all sometime in the past and went by the nick "FitzHenry," or something like that.
    Last edited by Togakure; 02-27-2009 at 09:45.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul View Post
    Tell me more about the LAN differences.
    They were using beta 5 on a LAN, and they noticed that the game was not using the online unit stats. It must have been picking up the sp unit stats. He also said that battlefield upgrades are present in LAN battles. I know they are present in custom battle. They traced the problem with the stats to gnome editor which messes up the end of each line somehow which affects the custom battle stats, and those are the stats that LAN games use. He said they had to use notepad to fix it. I did use notepad to make beta 8.1 stats, but I can't remember if I used beta 5 as the base file to edit or if I went all the way back to the original VI unit prod. I'll try to retrace the steps I used to make the 8.1 unit stat later tonight.

I have an old 1.4 ghz cpu computer that I can fix up to test LAN battles. I think I'll work on setting that up so that I can have my own LAN testing platform again.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 02-27-2009 at 16:05.

I'm going to be a bit delayed; should arrive in the foyer around 7:30 PM EST tonight. Just wanted to let anyone know that who was planning to pop in. See you in a few.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Well, we have a small response, so large games don't look like a possibility at this time. We seem to have enough for 2v2s. It might be a nice change; we didn't play many of 2v2s in the last go 'round. The few I did play were good games--a different dynamic than 3v3 or 4v4. One in particular demonstrated that better team work out-shines individual performance, even in a 2v2; despite 1200+ kills by an individual, that team lost after a long, involved battle.

If there's interest in playing sometime tomorrow, or the following weekend, express. I'm available.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

What about today? Sunday 20:00 GMT+1
    I realise that's afternoon on the East Coast but your evenings are Europe's late nights....

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

I can play whenever on weekends usually. The weather is inclement so I tend to stay in. A good time for online activities. I can play today if others would like to meet.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe on Sunday at 20 GMT time in a few weeks we can make it the "offical" day playing time again, once everyone gets a chance to play their hearts out on ETW (like me) ?

I'll be checking the VI lobby periodically between 14:00 and 15:30 EST tomorrow and probably Sunday too, to see if there's anyone there interested in 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4 SW b8.1 games. If anyone has b8.1 installed and ready to go, is interested and free, please consider stopping in too.

If you pop in and don't see me or other SW players, hang out for a few. I'll be logging back in to check every few minutes (if you alt-tab out to surf while waiting, the server automatically logs you out after a couple of minutes).

The server won't be around forever; those of us who really enjoy this mod should, while we still can ....
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Wink Re: Any Interest in a Beta 8.1 Weekend or Two?

Masa, you should consider maybe using MSN. It works great for us VI players when we need players, sure beats hanging around an empty lobby...
    Hunter King George Visit the Realm of the Hunters:
    Proud participant of the Code of Honor. Have you signed the code?

Blog Entries

On a good session, didn't we used to have 8-10 people on SW?

Anyone here would like to use Beta 9 though, since I think it works jsut as well with the previous desync problems and such?

Umm ... let's not go there Warman ... I don't want this thread to erupt. This one's for anyone interested in Beta 5 or 8.1 games. If you want, create a "Anyone Interested in Beta 9 Games thread and see if you get any bites. Thanks, m8.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Blog Entries

Okide. Was just curious. I personally prefer Beta 9 due to better comp performenace on it for me.

Thanks anyhow.

Last edited by ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88; 03-24-2009 at 16:06. Reason: Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by ||GoTW||Warman8|cpl||-II-|| View Post
    I personally prefer Beta 9 due to better comp performenace on it for me.
    Beta 8.1 and Beta 9 should both provide the same computer performance.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'll try Beta 8.1 out again and see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12