Thread: Polygamy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Polygamy

I was reading a news item about polygamy and got to wondering why it is taboo, at least in the West.

One of the people interviewed asked the question; what has it to do with the state, how, why and what I marry?

Is this a hangover from the days when the West was dominated by organised Christianity? Or is there another practical reason?

I'm currently undecided about it.

So, polygamy, a good or a bad thing and why?
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: Polygamy

As long as everyone consents I don't see any problem with it - the state really has no place at all in marriage.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    As long as everyone consents I don't see any problem with it - the state really has no place at all in marriage.
    QFT
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

No reason other than sentiment/ cultural and religous hangover

immigration rules prevent a man from bringing more than one wife to settle with him in the UK.
    this bit made me laugh - akward conversation or what

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

It goes strictly against my anti marriage stance.

My kingdom for a .

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

The main downside i see is that it could leave to an uneven ratio of single men to single women, i now there is a disparity already (can't remember which way) but if a lot of men started taking more than one wife i think we could run into problems...

If men and women did it in equal measure i suppose that would solve that problem... the only issue then though would be the finest cuts taking by the biggest and best in society leaving the rest of us to fight over the scraps...

Outside of those two concerns i don't really have a moral issue with it...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What people get up to in their own home with everyone consenting is not the state's concern - as long as the state isn't having to pay for the consequences.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    The main downside i see is that it could leave to an uneven ratio of single men to single women, i now there is a disparity already (can't remember which way) but if a lot of men started taking more than one wife i think we could run into problems...
    I think most women and men would only be interested in monogamous marriages anyway. I wouldn't see that as a big issue.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Fine with me as long as nobody is forced to do the procedure.
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-20-2009 at 14:12.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

my ancestors way back had it. why not now?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I think most women and men would only be interested in monogamous marriages anyway. I wouldn't see that as a big issue.

I think women would be more likely too... I think most male millionaires could build up a fairly big collection wives without too much trouble... even those just outside the millionaire club could get quite a few as well, though i think your probably right, it's something that could become an issue but would likely not...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!