Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred Phelps Banned in Britain

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Question Fred Phelps Banned in Britain

Now i despise the Phelps family as much as anyone, but why is Britain suddenly banning people? First that Geert Wilders, now Phelps? Is the British way of life so fragile that allowing a couple of fruitbats in will destroy them?

Seriously, what gives?

A homophobic American cleric who runs a website called God Hates Fags and was allegedly planning to picket a play showing in the UK has been banned from Britain by the home secretary, Jacqui Smith.

Fred Phelps had vowed to come to Britain with his daughter, Shirley, to picket a school play in Basingstoke, Hampshire, that promotes tolerance for gay people. The play, The Laramie Project, depicts the murder of a homosexual teenager, #Matthew Shepard, in the Wyoming town in 1998. It will be staged tomorrow evening at Queen Mary's College. [...]

A posting on Phelps's companion website God Hates the World this week stated: "God hates England. Your Queen is a whore. You're going to hell." [...]

A UK Border Agency spokesman said: "The home secretary has excluded both Fred Phelps and his daughter from the UK. Both these individuals have engaged in unacceptable behaviour by inciting hatred against a number of communities.

"The government has made it clear it opposes extremism in all its forms. We will continue to stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country … regardless of their opinions and beliefs."

Default Re: Fred Phelps Banned in Britain

We banned George Raft as well.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

God Hates Fags What a comedy. This guy thinks he is entitled to know exactly what and who god hates or loves.
    BLARGH!

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

People didn't like muslims saying a bunch of nasty things so we decided to cut down on it, everything after that is just for consistency...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From what I read in articles dealing with the whole Wilders controversy, Britain hasn't actually been throwing out that many violence preaching Imams.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

why is Britain suddenly banning people?
    "Ban" is our politicians favourite word.

Whilst I don't want to hear either Phelps or Wilders, I don't want them banned. Its a worrying sign of our increasingly unfree society.

Britain hasn't actually been throwing out that many violence preaching Imams
    Its a little more complicated. We got to the party late, true. There has been rank hypocrisy in the past, largely on the left, which saw Muslims as an exciting source of status quo busting votes without thinking about the inevitability of a Muslim political identity developing or what it could look like. And there are issues that some of the Imams are British citizens, and so can't be thrown out (alas, Australia doesn't let us transport crims there any more), and others may be tortured or not get a fair trial if deported to certain countries (although the House of Lords gave a helpful judgement on that yesterday). But as things stand today I don't think an Imam equivalent of Wilders would be treated much differently.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

They're just attention seekers, and well done to the government because you just gave them a whole lot more attention, do we never learn?

I think it goes without saying that the Phelps family don't represent Christians, it's almost like they're trying to sabotage Christianity from within.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's no good news at the moment, so anything that can take focus away from the government is Good. Barring looneys is a great way of filling space - lest reporters get bored and focus more on the economy.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin View Post
    Its a little more complicated. We got to the party late, true. There has been rank hypocrisy in the past, largely on the left, which saw Muslims as an exciting source of status quo busting votes without thinking about the inevitability of a Muslim political identity developing or what it could look like.
    Excuse me? Britain became Londonistan during the 1980's and 1990's when the Tories were in control.

It was Tory policy to leave terrorist organisations and their leaders untouched as long as they left Britain untouched and committed their crimes elsewhere, notably in France, the U.S. and other western allies of Britain. It is the most cowardly legacy of the Thatcher and Major years. It's failure became obvious when the 'security covenant' between the British government and people like Omar Bakri leaked in 1995. Oh, and of course the 'special relationship' with Saudi Arabia has something to do with it: Wahhabi agitation in Britain in exchange for lucrative business deals, such as the £20 billion Yamama deal of 1985. The Thatchers even had a personal stake in that one, if you'll remember. All in the interest of world peace no doubt.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Just for smoking a little pot? Please.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    That's what I thought at first. It makes sense with them banning a Dutchman though.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

For consistency's sake, I'm not sure I see much of a problem with Phelps being banned, considering I'd say he is quite a bit worse than Wilders.

To be completely honest, I hoped the Chinese would have done something while his little group was there for the Olympics. I can't imagine America demanding his return that seriously.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    For consistency's sake, I'm not sure I see much of a problem with Phelps being banned, considering I'd say he is quite a bit worse than Wilders.

To be completely honest, I hoped the Chinese would have done something while his little group was there for the Olympics. I can't imagine America demanding his return that seriously.
    I'd have thought that America would have demanded that the Chinese kept him there.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    I'd have thought that America would have demanded that the Chinese kept him there.
    Quite. I wouldn't have minded that much.

Regardless, I'm caught here. I really don't like Fred Phelps - but I don't like Jackboot Jacqui very much either.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post

Can't really DO that of course, he's a yank and therefore our responsibility, but oh did your comment give me a chuckle....
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Muahahaha what a sad, sad attempt to appear consistent

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

'The play, The Laramie Project, depicts the murder of a homosexual teenager, #Matthew Shepard, in the Wyoming town in 1998. It will be staged tomorrow evening at Queen Mary's College.

Phelps, who runs the Primitive Baptist Westboro church in Topeka, Kansas – most of whose congregation are members of his family, including his 13 children – has bought a plot of land in Laramie where he plans to build a memorial celebrating the murder, despite local opposition.'

End of story. Promoting and celebrating murder is a big no.

I wonder if he will ever go to jail for his nonsence. In the caring and safe environment of a correctional facility he will possibly see homosexuality from another point of view and appreciate it as a lifestyle if not as a sexual preference.

Edit: His website is a must-see :)
    Last edited by rasoforos; 02-21-2009 at 07:45.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

If you're an American advocating that China should be punishing any one person because of their idiotic views, either kick me out of the US or GTFO.

No pasaran!

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    'The play, The Laramie Project, depicts the murder of a homosexual teenager, #Matthew Shepard, in the Wyoming town in 1998. It will be staged tomorrow evening at Queen Mary's College.

Phelps, who runs the Primitive Baptist Westboro church in Topeka, Kansas – most of whose congregation are members of his family, including his 13 children – has bought a plot of land in Laramie where he plans to build a memorial celebrating the murder, despite local opposition.'

End of story. Promoting and celebrating murder is a big no.
    Changed my mind, it's good that he got banned. Banning Wilder's is a big no.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

It's a good thing your commitment to free speech is so strong, Frag...

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    It's a good thing your commitment to free speech is so strong, Frag...
    I draw the line at spreading hate, celebrating a murder on a homosexual teen you have got to be kidding me. A government who allows that isn't doing it's job: protecting it's citizins.

Hey he has a new 'God hates the UK' video...

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    I wonder if he will ever go to jail for his nonsence. In the caring and safe environment of a correctional facility he will possibly see homosexuality from another point of view and appreciate it as a lifestyle if not as a sexual preference.
    Yes, let's control his mind through emprisonment and enforced buggering, that will surely make him a model citizen.

Like rasoforos.

Who isn't the least bit homophobic himself.

No Sir.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II View Post
    Yes, let's control his mind through imprisonment and enforced buggering, that will surely make him a model citizen.

Like rasoforos.

Who isn't the least bit homophobic himself.

No Sir.

Irony is apparently totally lost. I just think that this guy would totally freak out in prison.

Perhaps I should have pointed it out better that this was not my serious opinion but just an attempt to be ironic. Although I d appreciate it if you would inquire about the meaning of my post before launching personal accusations.

And no Sir I am not homophobic. Not a bit. Not ever.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And there are issues that some of the Imams are British citizens, and so can't be thrown out (alas, Australia doesn't let us transport crims there any more), and others may be tortured or not get a fair trial if deported to certain countries (although the House of Lords gave a helpful judgement on that yesterday). But as things stand today I don't think an Imam equivalent of Wilders would be treated much differently.
    Ah, good to know.

Excuse me? Britain became Londonistan during the 1980's and 1990's when the Tories were in control.

It was Tory policy to leave terrorist organisations and their leaders untouched as long as they left Britain untouched and committed their crimes elsewhere, notably in France, the U.S. and other western allies of Britain. It is the most cowardly legacy of the Thatcher and Major years. It's failure became obvious when the 'security covenant' between the British government and people like Omar Bakri leaked in 1995. Oh, and of course the 'special relationship' with Saudi Arabia has something to do with it: Wahhabi agitation in Britain in exchange for lucrative business deals, such as the £20 billion Yamama deal of 1985. The Thatchers even had a personal stake in that one, if you'll remember. All in the interest of world peace no doubt.
    I'm interested in this; do you have any links to good sources of information, or recommended reading?

Thanks,
    CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    I'm interested in this; do you have any links to good sources of information, or recommended reading?
    There is a whole lot of documentation on the episode. Just take it from here:

link
    link
    link

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    That made my day
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I think the difference between Wilders and Phelps is that Wilders says others preach Hate, while Phelps clearly does preach it himself.

I confess however, that this event may have touched on me personnally, no doubt I will discover whether or not in the coming days, (I have friends in the area that might have been there had he attended, and would probably have made the effort knowing he was there.)
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Blog Entries

This douche isn't worth the debate. To quote /b/, don't feed the trolls.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Its a little more complicated. We got to the party late, true. There has been rank hypocrisy in the past, largely on the left, which saw Muslims as an exciting source of status quo busting votes without thinking about the inevitability of a Muslim political identity developing or what it could look like.
    This is Clarksonesque fantasy. I suggest you look at the timings and reasons behind immigration in the 50's, 60's and 70's.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast