Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to get a tatoo......

Smile I want to get a tatoo......

and I thought it would be cool to write something in latin, so I thought this would be the best place to get some tips. (I know this is not the best place, but it's the best I know of )

I understand that when the roman generals earned their triumph they entered the city with a slave behind him repeating the phrase "Memento mori" (remember you are a mortal) and holding a crown over his head but not touching it.

is this right?

I seem to recall that another phrase was pronounced after that one sayng that "all glory is fleeting". is this true? if it is, which is the latin translation?

Another possibility (according to google) would be "All glory is ephemeral"

Would anyone be so kind as to help me?

Thanks!

PS: Some possibilities I Found:

1.-Sic transit gloria mundi
    2.-Sic transit gloria
    Last edited by Empedocles; 02-20-2009 at 19:06.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I want to get a tatoo......

Quisque est Barbarus Alio.
    'Nuff said.

αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν Member tsidneku's Avatar

Sic transit gloria mundi literally translates to "Thus, [all] the glory of the world flees/crosses" -- in english, we can translate it idiomatically to fleeting.

Many classical phrases (Graeco-Latin ones) are shortened and that might be where you get "Sic gloria transit."
    Last edited by tsidneku; 02-20-2009 at 19:37.

Empe, are you getting a permanent one?

a.k.a. Burebista Member Βελισάριος's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Quisque est Barbarus Alio.
    'Nuff said.
    Hear-hear!

Otherwise, let's see some classics:
    "Veni, vidi, vici"
    Or... my version: "Vidi, vici... veni" (I saw, I conquered, I came )
    "Fortune plango vulnera" (I bemoan the wounds of Fortune) medieval Latin, but still... it's the title of the second aria in Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana". You may know "O Fortuna" that one also has amazing lyrics.
    "Civis Romanus sum" (I am a Roman citizen)
    Last edited by Βελισάριος; 02-20-2009 at 21:03.
    To settle the deal between Romans and Greeks once and for all... both Italy and Greece are in deep s*** at the moment. Do you really think who had the biggest spear in antiquity makes any difference?

Great thread, as I wanted to get a Tat in Latin or Greek as well, but I am nothing more than a fan of this Mod, and a light fan of ancient history.

"Memento mori" / Remember you are a Mortal?

So was this correct?

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Alright, sorry to be such an arse, but I beg you to reconsider, if it is a permanent tattoo as you seem to suggest. How old are you, if I may inquire? Because one hears the same story with just about every person who gets a tattoo in a visible place. Right now you may think it is all swell and dandy, but in ten years you are going to regret that day.

But if you are so hell-bent on getting one, then may I suggest Roma Victrix or Roma Invicta (Rome the victorious or Rome, the unconquered/able? That is what I would do. Then again, I am a major Roman fanboy. I do not know if you are the same. Also, what about "Virtus et Honor" (strength and honour)? Finally, if you really want to find somethign interesting, follow this Wikipedia link which has innumerable pages full of Latin phrases, from which you can select a one that would suit your tastes. Because really, we cannot tell you what you like. It should be a personal decision.

*scurries away before satalexton impales me on a doru*

Bah, no - go with something simple and stylish, if a bit *aggressive*:
    "SPQR" on your shoulder, right where the national flag is placed on modern uniforms,
    marks you as a roman legionary. But only do that if you have already served as a real soldier.
    I would not get myself a latin phrase unless it is a true wisdom that is also applicable (and not strictly negative) to romance and stylish hotel rooms and other things of female interest (hey don't call me a sexist, just going by empiric experience here and there are always exceptions of course)... The day will come when you want to do something private with a female and you don't want to be worried that she'll laugh at - or worse - be turned off by the tattoo. "Roma victa"... very bookish, very military-historian - but not very sexy. Unless you get insanely lucky and find one who is actually into this kind of thing. But then she would be wearing a corinthian helmet and thus could not see the tattoo anyway. In all other cases, you want to stay mainstream-compatible!

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Right now you may think it is all swell and dandy, but in ten years you are going to regret that day.
    Especially if the tattooist bungles it and you end up with "GENERATION TERRORSIT".
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

guys. it will be a permanent one in my right heel. I'm 26 by the way from Argentina and a recently graduated accountant, so I can not say this is a teenager impulse.
    The reason why I choose this prhrase is because:

a) it has something to do with the romans (I am descendent of italians, but wtf!!!)
    b) it has a more "permanent" meaning than other propositions. "SPQR, Roma Victrix, etc" are too "WAR IS FUNNY! LETS MAKE WAR" type of thought.(which is not).
    This phrase reminds me of the more popular "Carpe Diem" because it means that all things must come to pass and you have to enjoy every moment life gives you. the good ones and the bad ones.

I hope you understand what I mean.

It will be "Sic Transit gloria Mundi" then. But I am still open to suggestion. Now I have to find a cool font.

regards

Alea Iacta Est - The Die Is/Has Been Cast

"Sic transit gloria mundi" is, I believe, not suitable for application as a common "wisdom"; it sounds more like a standardised phrase to be used as a comment when prompted by an appropriate cue. You could say that when you see george bush on tv getting strapped to the electric chair or a similar example of extreme downfall from a high (=>"glorious") position. That would then either sound very witty of you or it would at the very least let everyone with basic latin school experience know that you did your homework diligently.
    So getting a tattoo with it is somewhat self-humiliating as it would then denote you as an *example* of worldly glory passing away.
    Thus, while not having a better suggestion apart from the one made above, I advise specifically against "sic transit gloria mundi".

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Oil so, trail mé fan - Here marked, a slave I stay

CmacQ
    Last edited by cmacq; 02-22-2009 at 09:57.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by cmacq View Post
    Oil so, trail mé fan - Here marked, a slave I remain

CmacQ

I like that one - might actually consider getting a tattoo myself now...
    But that is not Latin, is it...? Looks more like... French?

"Hic signatus, servus maneo" (unsure about grammar due to long Time without Latin) would be
    a literal translation... Somehow the "French" sounds better. Hey look, this is coming from a Germano-Briton! Europe is finally making some serious progress!

Hey diego, You should try this: Romani ite domum

PS: Monty Python rules

Quote Originally Posted by jerjes78 View Post
    Hey diego, You should try this: Romani ite domum

PS: Monty Python rules

jjajajaja. good to see you around. I will stick to my original idea....though everybody is now advicing against the tatoo now....

Proud Product of Slave Labor Member ezekiel2517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Empedocles View Post
    jjajajaja. good to see you around. I will stick to my original idea....though everybody is now advicing against the tatoo now....
    if you require something to remind you of the need to live every day at it's best, why not make a car sticker with the same thing? you will even get to change it often as your mood suits you.

It is a small example but i really think that getting a tattoo, in general (specially if it is something just to be remembered), is like taking a loan to get some nifty, fancy toy; Pretty cool at first, but in the end you will have to pay more than what it is worth.

Si realmente lo quieres, lo que yo diga no importa y disfruta tu tatuaje

"Kaneda! What do you see?"

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtmeister View Post
    I like that one - might actually consider getting a tattoo myself now...
    But that is not Latin, is it...? Looks more like... French?

"Hic signatus, servus maneo" (unsure about grammar due to long Time without Latin) would be
    a literal translation... Somehow the "French" sounds better. Hey look, this is coming from a Germano-Briton! Europe is finally making some serious progress!
    Its actually Scotts Gaelic.

CmacQ
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

Its actually Scotts Gaelic.

CmacQ

...*Whupps* --- There I go calling myself a Briton - and then I fail to recognize Gaelic...
    Big mistake...
    I suppose it's high time that I begin learning some Gaelic. Can't let that language die out anyway.
    Could you point me to something (book, website, anything that does not require attending classes but does pay careful attention to pronounciation) that I could use as a starting resource?

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Veni, Vidi, Vomui
    I came, I saw, I threw up
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Veni, Vidi, Vomui
    THIS
    Also, it would be an interesting conversation starter with girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Veni, Vidi, Vomui
    winner

Not Just A Name; A Way Of Life Member Sarcasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Alright, sorry to be such an arse, but I beg you to reconsider, if it is a permanent tattoo as you seem to suggest. How old are you, if I may inquire? Because one hears the same story with just about every person who gets a tattoo in a visible place. Right now you may think it is all swell and dandy, but in ten years you are going to regret that day.
    Oh brother...what are you, 60? As long as it's not on say, his forehead, it's perfectly fine.

You'd be surprised about how many "suits" (male as well as female), have a tattoo or a piercing somewhere on their bodies.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

-- Oscar Wilde

Legatus Member Tiberius Claudius Marcellus's Avatar

Interesting idea, the Latin/Greek tat......

As one who has tattoos, I do suggest that you make it meaningful to yourself because you will most likely have this for the rest of your life. Also, the placement of it is important as well, as you may be disqualified from some jobs because employers will require a certain dress code/appearance. What may be "sweet" now, may harm you financially in the future.

As a former Marine tanker I have a sabot round tatooed on my left forearm from my elbow to my wrist with .50 cal machine gun bullets linked around it (every 5th one a tracer round, of course). It was bad ass when I got it and it still is because who wants to mess with a 6'4" 250 lb guy with bullets tattooed on him, you know? Unfortunately, at work or company events outside of work I must always wear long sleeves to hide it because it is "unprofessional".

As far as what phrase you choose, again, make it meaningful. On my right shoulder, back side I have "Dulce et Decorum est Pro Patria Mori" (It is a sweet and seemly thing to give one's life for one's country) in a ribbon above a soldier's memorial (boots, inverted rifle, dog tags, helmet) with another ribbon saying "Mortui Tantum Terminem Belli Viderunt" (Only the dead have seen the end of war). This, for me, honors my fellow service members who gave their lives in battle, but also reminds me that war will always be with us in this world.

In short, don't make it something you'll regret. It can be a great conversation starter and can be an excellent expression of emotion or intellectual depth.
    Semper Fidelis

Campaigns Completed:
    Casse, Epirote, Getai, Romani
    "it is in his character traits and that's how Tiberius chooses to rp him. In all honesty i think this would be boring without such ridiculous characters..."

One of my favourite Latin expressions is "cum grano salis", meaning "with a grain of salt". This means that something is not to be taken literal but with humor. Can be applied to life: take it with humor, to spice things up a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

Oil so, trail mé fan - Here marked, a slave I stay

CmacQ

my nod goes to this one - excellent line, gratefully read. :)
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

One of these days I'mma get a EB tattoo, probably one of the Pontos, KH and Roman shield images from EB and the "Quisque Est barbarus Alio" Phrase since I use that phrase way to much and it makes me want to learn latin :|

The real EB phrase however should be "Quisque est barbarus alii" if I am not wrong.

Anyway, here are a lot of Latin proverbs:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Latin_proverbs

I suggest these ones:

Age quod agis
    "Do what you do", in the sense of "Do well what you do", "Do well in whatever you do" or "Be serious in what you do"

Cedo nulli
    "I yield to no one."

Deo Vindice. (only if you're a Christian, I am not but I think that if you are you might like it)
    "[With] God as [our] protector"

Docendo discimus.
    "We learn by teaching"

Esse quam videri
    "To be, rather than to seem"

Estote parati
    "Be prepared"

Homo sui iuris.
    "Man [is] his own judge."

Nulli Secundus.
    "Second to none."

Perge modo
    "Only go on." - the equivalent of the colloquial 'suck it up'

Via, Veritas, Vita
    "The Way, the Truth and the Life."

Vive Ut Vitas
    "Live, so that you may live." or "Live life to the fullest."

Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum.
    "Give me a hamburger, french fries, and a thick shake."
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Quote Originally Posted by Connacht View Post
    Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum.
    "Give me a hamburger, french fries, and a thick shake."
    Bwaaahahahaa, I'll try that next time in MacDonalds.

Why don't you tatoo "Cave canem !" - Beware of the Dog , which indicates that you will bite every one in the leg if he comes near and is no friend - or you have a bad day.

"Habemus papam qui sibi imposuit nomen (enter your name)" - We have a pope, who chose the name (your name)

(enter your name) locuta, causa finita - (your name) has spoken, case closed!
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 02-24-2009 at 09:19.
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

My girlfriend wants to get 'sic transit gloria' tattooed as well.

*feels weird*

Empedocles, are you my girlfriend?

Anyone remember the latin for that Kingdom of Heaven quote? "Such as we are, you will be." That'd be a cool tattoo. I've been thinking of getting a Bactrian-themed tattoo.. or something sorta ancient Central Asian.
    Last edited by The Fuzz; 02-24-2009 at 22:17.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast