Thread: Demo graphics auto detect a bit... off?

Rip, Slip, Brush, Ahh Member crazyviking03's Avatar

Default Demo graphics auto detect a bit... off?

I have:
    Vista 64
    6 G of RAM
    Intel Quad Q8200s at 2.3 GHz
    ATI HD3650

And yet the demo is only auto detecting Medium setting. I have seen screenies on TWC of several people being autodected on highest.

If my rig is only good enough for medium setting.... well, I wish I could say was was stong enough to not buy the game in some odd protest, but I'm not that strong lol.

Anyone else getting only med setting on good/decent rigs?

edit** I read a post elsewhere where some said only one of their 2 cpus was being utilized, perhaps this has something to do with it, the demo (hopefully not the game) cant recognize multi processors?
    Last edited by crazyviking03; 02-20-2009 at 21:59.
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Demo graphics auto detect a bit... off?

Do you mean the 'Automatic' button?

When I click that it puts me to the highest settings, even though I only have 1GB Ram, although my graphics card is pretty good (can't remember exactly what it is).
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

high and highest are unselectable on the side, and completely noexistant on the drop downs
    What if it is actualy you who are crazy, and I am realy not crazy?... No, you're right... I am crazy.

lol

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I meant it just put me to the best setting, checked all the boxes for shadows etc, I think it was 'ultra' for unit detail.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyviking03 View Post
    I have:
    Vista 64
    6 G of RAM
    Intel Quad Q8200s at 2.3 GHz
    ATI HD3650

And yet the demo is only auto detecting Medium setting. I have seen screenies on TWC of several people being autodected on highest.

If my rig is only good enough for medium setting.... well, I wish I could say was was stong enough to not buy the game in some odd protest, but I'm not that strong lol.

Anyone else getting only med setting on good/decent rigs?

edit** I read a post elsewhere where some said only one of their 2 cpus was being utilized, perhaps this has something to do with it, the demo (hopefully not the game) cant recognize multi processors?
    The HD 3650 would be why, its not a very good card.
    Last edited by Wartz; 02-20-2009 at 22:46.

yepp it was a budget card 18 months ago.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

I managed to run the game fine with the auto-detected settings, without any lag at all. I noticed shadows looked rubbish on medium though, they made my horses look all stripey.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Hehe, the auto-detect seemed to have assumed I had an Octo Core with a DX12 card or something. Nearly everything max.
    Had to turn the settings to more realistic settings for my E6600, 7300GS. :)

Just to let you know Quad-Cores are not even being programed to. Duel Core is being used but Quad-Core will not help you until programmers starts programming to them.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    When you find yourself sinking into madness, Dive!
    WE WANT A...............DEMO!
    This message is brought to you by the Demo Legions. If you have the Demo remember this, We will find you!

Quote Originally Posted by pyradyn View Post
    Just to let you know Quad-Cores are not even being programed to. Duel Core is being used but Quad-Core will not help you until programmers starts programming to them.
    There are a few games that use quadcores.
    Last edited by Wartz; 02-21-2009 at 00:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Bijlsma View Post
    Hehe, the auto-detect seemed to have assumed I had an Octo Core with a DX12 card or something. Nearly everything max.
    Had to turn the settings to more realistic settings for my E6600, 7300GS. :)

Yeah, it did the same for me as well. I was afraid to even try the demo with everything Maxed so I turned it down to High. I guess for giggles I will try the Auto Detect Settings.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

I'm stuck with medium settings on the demo, and I mean everything higher is grayed out. I currently have an 8800GT but was planning on maybe upgrading to a 260. Does anyone know if I can't go with any higher settings because I'm on WinXP or is it because of my card?? Because theres no way I'm upgrading to Vista at this point (win 7 should be out late this year).

I have:
    XP 32 bit SP3
    2 GB of RAM
    AMD FX57 at 2.8 GHz
    NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB

Not too shabby but anything but not exactkly state-of-the-art anymore. Game still set everything to ULTRA for me with 4AA 16AF. Actually worked great in both battles with just a tad of lag when zoomed in close during the landbattle with a lot of units. I'll set it down a little though to get that extra smoothness. Looks like it is more GFX than CPU dependant since my GFX card is a lot nicer than my CPU for being 2009?

It's a lot more depending on the graphics card than previous titles, which tended to run better with a faster cpu. At the beginning, I had that weid flimmering bug as well as a little lag, it improved a lot once I updated my two month old catalyst drivers (and overclocked my card slight tad). Auto-detect put everything on ultra, with AAx4 and AFx16. I put down the resolution from 1440x900 to 1280x800, and it runs really smooth now.
    Card is a 1 GB Radeon X4870, bought five months ago. My CPU is a Phenom X4 black edition @2.6 stock.
    DEMO FTW!

See your sig and I must say "Demo Not FTW!"

Blog Entries

Interesting choice of first post but... Welcome to the org Jumpyg1258!
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It actually wouldnt have been my first post had it been for the dumb rule about URLs in first post. Wanted to post a pic of my problem in demo and it wouldnt let me so that became my first post.

Blog Entries

Well I cant realy say my first post was much better. Its to stop people from making usernames purely to advertize a website. Dont worry after about a week and some responsible posting monk or martok will make you a member and then you can do anythi... well more than you can do on the site now.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-21-2009 at 02:43. Reason: Spelling.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

After shopping around a bit online, i figure I have no where to go but up with my gfx card, lol. I was caught off gaurd by this, as she runs CoDWaW, HL2, M2tW all att maxed/high with no probs. Ohwell, I will just run down to wall mart and grab something, looks like anything on the shelf will be better than what i have now LMAO

lol

Quote Originally Posted by crazyviking03 View Post
    After shopping around a bit online, i figure I have no where to go but up with my gfx card, lol. I was caught off gaurd by this, as she runs CoDWaW, HL2, M2tW all att maxed/high with no probs. Ohwell, I will just run down to wall mart and grab something, looks like anything on the shelf will be better than what i have now LMAO
    I don't know about you but walmart doesn't seem to be the right place to buy a gaming computer.

Anyways you don't need a super computer to run this game at max.

Thumbs up Re: Demo graphics auto detect a bit... off?

Never, ever go to Wal-Mart for a computer. Even more, never go to a large company for one.

I got my gaming laptop from a local computer store, and it was $400 cheaper than a slighty suckier one at Future Shop.

LMAO no i was just going over there to grab a new GFX card, but they were out. hell no id never buy a comp for gaming there lol

lol

Auto-detect was close to the mark for me, though I was able to turn a few things up (from "high") and maintain a good (~50 zoomed out, ~25 zoomed in) framerate.

lobosrul, I'm using an 8800GT and WinXP, it must be something else.

Ah, situation has been remedied. Going to pick up my GeForce 9800 GT with 1 GB in about an hour.

lol

Well this is just crazy. I finally went with auto-detect; which defaults to Max; just to confirm that I could not run it at this level, and things pretty much look similar to High and the game ran fine. I have a fairly mediocre system and assumed that I would need a Graphics card upgrade at a minimum and probably need to double my Ram, but I think I may be fine as is.

Specs

Duo 2.4 E6600 4 MB cache
    2 Megs Ram
    GeForce 7900 GTX 512 MB
    XP
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

It looks fine. 7900 will be a good card for many years.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by pyradyn View Post
    That would be prefectly true if the game was the only thing running on your PC.
    However, that's never the case, any PC will have a multitude of other processes running. And so long as there is any software running that does make full use of the quadcore (such as the OS if you have Vista 64 for example) it does help you out indirectly by making other things more efficiently thus freeing up resources for the game.

Well now the I7 is out which is supposed to be even faster then quad so there you go, I can never keep up with these things. I've learned to live with games in medium graphics most times.

Yeah, I cant keep up either, and I think this gfx card will be my last hardware purchase for a while. I got lucky, best buy was running a sale on it, it was $60 off.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Daevyll View Post
    That would be prefectly true if the game was the only thing running on your PC.
    However, that's never the case, any PC will have a multitude of other processes running. And so long as there is any software running that does make full use of the quadcore (such as the OS if you have Vista 64 for example) it does help you out indirectly by making other things more efficiently thus freeing up resources for the game.
    There are two catch 22's here:
    (a) Excepting a few really pricey, high end Quadcores... the Q series aren't _proper_ Quad *cores*. What they are amounts to 2 dual cores welded to make a single processor. In effect this means more cache, less clocking speed (thus slower cache), and only up to 2 concurrent threads. The point is that at any given instruction only two threads have a core, the other two are iddle. The reason is that both cores share the same connection (path) with the cache and RAM:

Now if both dual-cores have continuous 'load' that won't matter as much (because you will have good caching results) but if one core 'suddenly' has to step in for a certain process caching will be much poorer: indeed there will be quite a bit of non-cached instructions as a new program stack needs to be loaded into the registers and the old one needs to be written to RAM! So if you have the choice between a faster dual core with comparatively (per-core) large amounts of cache versus a Quadcore with lesser per-core performance you can expect the Dual Core to outperform the Quadcore in most situations. (Heavy media encoding and decoding is the notable exception.)
    (b) Proper process scheduling assings some kind of priority to certain processes over others. That is, the Game is given max time slices to execut its code for better responsiveness; other processes are kept in the background as much as possible. It also means that there will be very little going on apart from your game: for instance your desktop will not be refreshed if you play in full screen modus, because the OS knows that the entire desktop is pretty much idle anyways and thus it defers desktop refreshing till later. That is also why windowed mode incurs heavier workloads for your system when running a game: there *are* notable background processes going on.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.