Thread: Culture of Corruption

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Culture of Corruption

What, too soon? The AP doesn't think so:
    The Obama administration and the new Congress are rapidly giving Republicans the same "culture of corruption" issue that Democrats used so effectively against the GOP before coming to power.

Democrats' ethical issues are popping up at a dizzying pace, after less than two months of party control of both the White House and Congress. Freshman Sen. Roland Burris, D-Ill. is only the latest embarrassment.
    The political mess for the Democratic Party, however, isn't Burris' conduct alone; it's the pattern that has developed so quickly over the past few months.

_The chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., is the subject of a House ethics investigation. It's partly focused on his fundraising practices for a college center in his name, his ownership financing of a resort property in the Dominican Republic and his financial disclosure reports.

_Federal agents raided two Pennsylvania defense contractors that were given millions of dollars in federal funding by Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., chairman of the House Appropriations defense subcommittee.

_Blagojevich was arrested Dec. 9 on federal charges, including allegations that he schemed to sell the Senate seat to the highest bidder.

_Tom Daschle, the former Senate majority leader from South Dakota, abandoned his bid to become health and human services secretary and the administration's point man on reforming health care; and Nancy Killefer stepped down from a newly created position charged with eliminating inefficient government programs.

Both Daschle and Killefer had tax problems, and Daschle also faced potential conflicts of interest related to working with health care interests.

_Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner was confirmed to his post after revealing he had tax troubles.

_Obama's initial choice for commerce secretary, Bill Richardson, stepped aside due to a grand jury investigation into a state contract awarded to his political donors.
    I must confess to being impressed with how quickly the Democrats are working at imploding...
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-20-2009 at 01:23.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Re: Culture of Corruption

Well, the article did point out that the upcoming elections won't be so greatly influenced by the birthing troubles of this new Obama administration.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    What, too soon? The AP doesn't think so:I must confess to being impressed with how quickly the Democrats are working at imploding...
    You must think the Obama worshipping masses care. It'll take a lot more.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    You must think the Obama worshipping masses care. It'll take a lot more.
    Well, the author's list is far from exhaustive, but I agree- it's going to take a lot more before anyone starts to take notice. I was careful to say that they were working at imploding- despite their best efforts, it's going to take more effort on their part for a proper implosion.

For now, even linking this story makes me a blinded ideologue who is stuck on the failed policies of the past.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-20-2009 at 02:00.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

*Dismisses article as partisan hackery without reading it*

Well, I just hope the new administration's corruption does not affect your fancy new high-speed trains.
    And if you have corruption issues in two parties, and there are only two parties to elect, my dear americans, then you can throw blame around as much as you want but you will still elect a corrupt party every four years.
    Until you show them both the finger and elect Ron Paul that is.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

It's the bad apple(s) ruins the whole basket philosophy. Just because some douches in the party are idiots it always haunts other members who have nothing whatsoever to do with the scandal. For me what ruins peoples cred is when they uninvolved parties don't condemn/comment/chastise the offenders and talk about how it is ruining the party for everyone else, instead they just keep hush hush and brush it under the rug because they don't want to say something naught about another party member. That's actually one of the reason I love partisan hack pundits because they point out things others would not. It's really gay the way Congress works sometimes, like the whole "can't address a senator from the floor rule" which effectively prevents do gooders from calling BS on someone else.

And in a related note, The Oklahoma Senate killed a bill that would have allowed 3rd party candidates on the ballots, the vote was overwhelmingly against. Gotta hang onto that tit as long as ya can, right?
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm...

What was that old statement about power and corruption?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Both parties are at it. It's just who is chosen to be investigated.

Over in the UK politicians are so protected we don't even get access to information to show that they are feathering their own bed.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    *Dismisses article as partisan hackery without reading it*
    Glad I'm not the only one.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Both parties are at it. It's just who is chosen to be investigated.

Over in the UK politicians are so protected we don't even get access to information to show that they are feathering their own bed.

Otherwise known as rule number 1. This culture of corruption transends all political parties and is not mutually exclusive of either. The IRS should audit every state & fed politician out there. Doing so to the self-serving bums in my wonderful State of New York would probably recoup enough unpaid taxes & fines to cover the state budget deficit.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Armed revolution, perhaps?

Line up everybody wearing a suit and shoot them?

Or just make them all live in Wyoming?
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I think this article is more easily dismissed as "dog bites man."