Thread: Steam Issue...

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Default Steam Issue...

..after thinking about the painful demo d/l it occurred to me that when my PC is doing nothing else but d/l from Steam, the program thinks it has lost connectivity and you have to restart the program to restart the d/l. If I am accessing the web or what have you the d/l runs fine.

What REALLY concerns me is I have a 15 Gig d/l ahead of me on 03/02 and I really cannot face the prospect of restarting every hour - nor do I have the time in any case.

Is there a setting on steam that will prevent this - or perhaps I should find a website that refreshes every so often to keep things in "active mode"?

Thoughts/suggestions??
    "Après moi le déluge"

Default Re: Steam Issue...

Are you sure this is a problem with Steam, to me it sounds like a setting on your own PC or in your internet settings? I don't have that problem with Steam.

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

Well I've d/l'd some very large files that took a very long time and have not had these issues.
    "Après moi le déluge"

I had the same problem as you when dling the demo. At around 77% the download just stopped. I had to reactivate (without restarting the program actually). The only thing that changed was my screen saver (basic vista ss) started. PC didn't go to sleep or anything. And it's not like I haven't dl things like Kingdoms off D2D in the past, so I know it's not something with my comp. Has to be something with the steam app. Overall the dl was quite quick though.

Fortunately I've reserved my copy from EB Games and wont have to dl the whole thing... so um gl to you?
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

I wonder about this Steam business...

If I download the game from them, it's an one and only download for one price?

I mean, with the disc (DVD or whatever) I can play on two computers - or on every computer I insert the disk into. How about this downloadable copy? What if my hard disk crashes, will I be able to get another copy from Steam?

My dilemma is should I get the copy on March 4th or should I wait for the hard-copy to get in shops in Romania (which might take one month, I guess)...
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Tzepes View Post
    I wonder about this Steam business...

If I download the game from them, it's an one and only download for one price?

I mean, with the disc (DVD or whatever) I can play on two computers - or on every computer I insert the disk into. How about this downloadable copy? What if my hard disk crashes, will I be able to get another copy from Steam?

My dilemma is should I get the copy on March 4th or should I wait for the hard-copy to get in shops in Romania (which might take one month, I guess)...
    When you buy games from Steam, its connected to your account. You can download it as much as you want, or install it on as many computers as you want. Some games have set installs you can have at once, but this is a publisher decision, not a Steam decision, and applies to their non-steam games, as well.

I went with MTW 2 on steam, and it was well worth it. All patches are automatically applied without me having to keep up to date with them, and it has no trouble working with mods.
    Last edited by DisruptorX; 02-21-2009 at 21:27.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Yes, as long as you remember how to login, you can use the vast majority of your games on steam.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

You can also copy the game files out of the Steam folder & paste them into the equivalent folder on another PC, then when you try to install the game on the new PC with your Steam login, Steam should spot the file & just check that its not corrupt etc. then make the game available to play without downloading it again.
    I did this with the demo because I'm inbetween flats at the moment.

If you accidentally delete bits of the game you can 'check the integrity' of the game & it'll re-download anything missing/broken.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Thank you everybody for the kind answers. I'll probably go for Steam, then (though it's sad not to add another CD-case to my Total War complete collection...)

But then... Ypiiie! I'll get ETW in less than 2 weeks!
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

I can't even get Steam working...I download the thingy...it starts updating...and thats it. It stays updating forever... lol.

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    I had the same problem as you when dling the demo. At around 77% the download just stopped. I had to reactivate (without restarting the program actually). The only thing that changed was my screen saver (basic vista ss) started. PC didn't go to sleep or anything. And it's not like I haven't dl things like Kingdoms off D2D in the past, so I know it's not something with my comp. Has to be something with the steam app. Overall the dl was quite quick though.

Fortunately I've reserved my copy from EB Games and wont have to dl the whole thing... so um gl to you?
    I'm going to kill any screen saver/hibernation processes, go to a website that has rotating banner ads - and hope for the best.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Just insist with the updating it'll eventually finish had the same problem stooped at 78% had to restart 5 times, also the game download was like unusual i had to restart it 3 times kept stopping like it didi to youBarkhorn1x.

Anyone have a problem that said This game is currently unavailable try again later. If so is there a way to fix it without reinstalling.

I found that I had to double click on the title so the little "updating" box came up.