Since i am a weak and spineless individual, I couldn't hold the pressure and decided to register on Steam to try to get the demo.

Now...I went to the Steam website, downloaded the client, installed it and it started updating...and it remained like that for a couple of hours, just updating and stuck.

I thought this might me a firewall problem, so i searched the steam help and all that to find details on that and made the necessary arrangements for it to...at least logically work. But...it didnt.

I also found on the Steam website a list of several programs that might constitute a problem with using steam:

Software to Look Out For

The following applications have been known to cause severe issues with Steam and playing games:

Anti-Virus Applications

* Avast!
* AVG Anti-virus *
* Kaspersky Anti-virus
* McAfee Anti-virus
* Nod32 Anti-virus *
* Norton/Symantec Anti-virus
* VIGuard Anti-virus

Anti-Spyware Applications

* Ad Aware
* CA Pest Patrol
* Spycatcher Express
* Webroot Spy Sweeper *

Firewall/Security Applications

* Comodo
* CYBERsitter
* ESET Smart Security
* Netlimiter
* McAfee Personal Firewall
* Nvidia Network Access Manager/Firewall
* Peer Guardian
* Tiny Personal Firewall
* Verizon Internet Security Suite
* Zone Alarm

Other Applications

* Alcohol 120%
* ATI Hotkey Poller
* BitTorrent/UTorrent (all clients)
* Daemon Tools
* Download Accelerators (all clients)
* GhostSurf 2007
* Google Toolbar, Google Updater
* K-Lite Codec Pack
* LimeWire, BearShare or other Peer 2 Peer applications
* Slysoft AnyDVD
* TeamSpeak (can lead to mic issues)
* Total Recorder
* Tuneup WinStyler Theme Service
* Ventrilo (can lead to mic issues)
* VirtuaGirl 2
* WindowBlinds
* Xfire

* We recommend that these applications are fully uninstalled from your system if disabling them does not resolve the issue

Now...considering that some of these are actually very popular ones I asked myself...what is really the advantage of using steam without having to change a few things in one's setup!?
Moreover, why should anyone feel "forced" to get rid of a specific anti-virus or other type of software to use an online service( if anyone browses the Steam help forums there are plenty of threads about stolen or hacked accounts) that one's may not necessarily want to use??

So I have 2 questions for you guys:

1. Did anyone had the same problem or knows the solution?

2. Should i really complain about Steam when i have to spend 40 to 50 Euros in an... unfinnished product( and i say unfinnished cause apparentely i still need Steam to use something I payed for and i own...or will in this case).

To be honest I find this whole Steam issue disrespectful and a violation of my rights as a consumer...as I have stated in a couple of threads here and elsewhere.

Anyway...thanks in advance for any answers and opinions of course.

V.