Thread: Me problemo with demo..

Default Me problemo with demo..

ok, i downloaded the demo using STEAM. when it finished downloading and the first time i played it it froze several times on the loading screen without even showing the trailer yet. when i finally got to play it, it was real laggy on medium quality even the trailer was laggy. my question is that my computer was suppose to play it pretty smoothly and was above the recommended requirements, tell me what is wrong with this?!?!

I know its just the demo and it has alot of bugs and all but I just want to be sure that my computer can play the full game smoothly atleast on medium quality with little or no lag at all. :D

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: Me problemo with demo..

Sound like problems with CPU scheduling. Close your anti-virus and try it again.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first game loading screen is terribly laggy, I don't know why that is.

I know it isn't the computer in my case though, running it problem free on Ultra setting once the game is up, it is just when first booting up, takes a good minute or so even to see the SEGA logo.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

i did, it still does the same thing

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am not experienced with Steam, but could it be that because it is launched from Steam without actually installing, it has to unpack the files first then plays? (Which explains the really slow launch)

I am guessing what I noticed is similar to yours eKKstRa, though I obviously not getting the ingame lag.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

If steam is the problem I would say d/c and try steam in offline mode with the demo. I'm not sure you can play the demo with steam in offline mode but if it's a firewall problem then that would solve it.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Single player games can all be played in offline mode steam.

As long as there is no need for internet connection, its fine.
    Last edited by A Very Super Market; 02-22-2009 at 06:06.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Single player games can all be played in offline mode steam.

As long as there is no need for internet connection, its fine.
    That may be the case with the full version of the game(s), but I at least am having a different experience with the demo. I just turned off my cable modem, tried to launch the demo, and got a Steam dialogue box telling me that the game was unavailable at the moment (or something similar).

So we are left speculating if the long delays on initial loading screens are some kind of Steam side effect or something inherent in the E:TW game. My own guess is that it is something that is demo specific and we won't get it in the full game.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Isles View Post
    That may be the case with the full version of the game(s), but I at least am having a different experience with the demo. I just turned off my cable modem, tried to launch the demo, and got a Steam dialogue box telling me that the game was unavailable at the moment (or something similar).

So we are left speculating if the long delays on initial loading screens are some kind of Steam side effect or something inherent in the E:TW game. My own guess is that it is something that is demo specific and we won't get it in the full game.
    That is a common steam error and one you'll probably need to either restart steam to fix, or restart your comp. If neither work the game's local cache may have gotten corrupted.

I was running the demo in Offline mode to test if it helped load times, it didn't
    Last edited by Monk; 02-22-2009 at 13:55.

Yes while you can run the demo in offline mode as easily as online I don't think it helps your speed any, I tried a test similiar to monks.

No real difference sadly.

We can only hope the full version will be optomized to have quicker load times and more smooth cinematics

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Problems I have had with the demo:

Opening is jittery Big deal…it’s just the demo

One crash in Naval Tutorial Only did it once…it can happen…demo code doesn’t seem the most stable. Especially if you go away from the script.

Land Battle won’t load properly most of the time. Bad news with only two battles to try. I get the opening load screen and it goes 9/10ths of the way down the loading bar and stops. It never finishes the load. After some time (5 min or so) the battle starts but the loading screen still shows. You can move troops around and can hear them firing but all you see is the loading screen. The only was out is ctl-alt-del to task manager…

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Last edited by Fisherking; 02-22-2009 at 15:10.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

One thing someone on other forums mentioned I thought was clever is that the full game is 15 gigs while the demo is only 2 gigs. I'd assume part of that (not sure how much I don't do code) is a variety of improvements, graphics, textures, and other things. Along with the usual factions, units and campaign map.

So i'm optomisitic that the full 15 gig will work much better then the 2 gig demo :) or at least marginally better

The jittery advisor-speaks thing goes away -at least for me- when you fiddle with the graphics settings (essentially force the battle to re-load itself). If I had to guess I'd say the jittery thing is cause by some failure of the UI to remain minimized while the advisor introduces you to the battle scenario.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    One thing someone on other forums mentioned I thought was clever is that the full game is 15 gigs while the demo is only 2 gigs. I'd assume part of that (not sure how much I don't do code) is a variety of improvements, graphics, textures, and other things. Along with the usual factions, units and campaign map.

So i'm optomisitic that the full 15 gig will work much better then the 2 gig demo :) or at least marginally better
    Hm. Yeah i didn't think about it in that light. We'll see in ten days or so for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Problems I have had with the demo:

Opening is jittery Big deal…it’s just the demo

One crash in Naval Tutorial Only did it once…it can happen…demo code doesn’t seem the most stable. Especially if you go away from the script.

Land Battle won’t load properly most of the time. Bad news with only two battles to try. I get the opening load screen and it goes 9/10ths of the way down the loading bar and stops. It never finishes the load. After some time (5 min or so) the battle starts but the loading screen still shows. You can move troops around and can hear them firing but all you see is the loading screen. The only was out is ctl-alt-del to task manager…

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have the same problem. Only the loading bar goes about 1/2 the way down stop and starts trilling with the sound. It never loads the batle screen. Could it be a problem withe the sound not correctly loaded?
    I am not familiar with problems like this so i do not know anything to help.
    Things as they say can only go better, sometimes...

well i found out what my problem was...graphics card was too low to play it so i gotta get a new better one so yeah, sucks

thanks for your help anyways people