Thread: the lenght of the spear

Default the lenght of the spear

Hello,

I started mixing up with some units, adding some new ones and I run into a problem. sometimes the spear of the units, especially hoplites are really long and, when I use the skeleton of fighting with the spear up, I get unrealistic images: the front part of the spear is short and the back is incredible long. I figure it out that in fact the unit just rotates a normal spear, if fighting with it in a low position. I tried light spear, I tried spear, short pike but still the spear looks unrealistic.

I think that somewhere in EDU there is a number that controls how long a spear can be. Can anyone point it to me?
    von Neurath

Default Re: the lenght of the spear

Quote Originally Posted by von_neurath View Post
    Hello,

I started mixing up with some units, adding some new ones and I run into a problem. sometimes the spear of the units, especially hoplites are really long and, when I use the skeleton of fighting with the spear up, I get unrealistic images: the front part of the spear is short and the back is incredible long. I figure it out that in fact the unit just rotates a normal spear, if fighting with it in a low position. I tried light spear, I tried spear, short pike but still the spear looks unrealistic.

I think that somewhere in EDU there is a number that controls how long a spear can be. Can anyone point it to me?
    Unfortunately, you have to edit the model itself to change the length or orientation of the spear. You need 3dsmax or milkshape. I agree with you though that the spear are problems. The overhand animation was really rushed by whoever did it. Not only do they drag in the ground when walking, but a lot of transition animations are missing. I don't use any unit that has overhand animations because of this. If you do figure out how to change any of this, let us know though. I think many people would be interested in fixing this.

I think the EB team lost it's animator, or they had to leave half way through.

You know, if you could do it, and fix their spear animation, you could find yourself on a modding team.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

thanks for the replies. I suspected that it has to do with the .cas model. I am only at the beginning of experimenting in 3dmax...
    von Neurath

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Actually, EB's world famous animator is back, working on EBII. In addition, there are other people who can animate working on EBII. All effort, though, is going into EBII...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    Actually, EB's world famous animator is back, working on EBII. In addition, there are other people who can animate working on EBII. All effort, though, is going into EBII...
    Though, you must admit, a third party fixing the one, minor, but none the less ugly problem of EB would be nice.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Dux and Strategos Member Potocello's Avatar

Does it have to be 3dsMax? I have Maya and animating experience but if this requires 3dsmax i couldn't really do it.
    "Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie"
    - from Tiberius Claudius Marcellus

Look out for the upcoming PBM! Get ready to defend your tribe from both external and internal rivals!