Thread: The Campaign AI

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Default The Campaign AI

Alright, so now that the demo's out and the cynicism can begin, how's everybody feeling about the potential of the campaign AI?

Thus far CA's managed to avoid going Bethesda on us and telling us that they've gone back to the 18th century and extracted the brains of Frederick the Great, Suvurov and Napoleon to program the AI, but we've been given a few pretty significant promises here.

For instance, that this will no longer happen:

I'm sure we all remember the good ol' days of MTW2, when the AI would, once you took ten or so provinces, suddenly be overcome by a lemming like urge to utterly destroy you and begin gleefully launching full stacks of militia into the melee, despite having been best of buddies with you for a hundred years.

Other issues, like the random stacks wandering through your territory, were apparently solved by (if I remember rightly) making tresspass an automatic declaration of war.

Of course, there's always bandits to keep us company. I, for one, look forward to facing up against rebel Guard regiments armed with the latest in cannon technology
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: The Campaign AI

Doubt it. One system for AI will make things more rational, rather than separate diplomacy and military ones.

I think a civil war would have Guards with cannons, but bandits will probably be bandits.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Excellent comic. You will have to make it a regular feature on the org now!

Lightbulb Re: The Campaign AI

I don't think Sheo's the author of the comic. Everyone kept copying into their albums so often (like me) that the original author was quickly lost in the sands of time.

well, the campaign sounds much more interesting now that things actually matter and the AI is willing to listen and keep their word. I look forward to capturing ships and getting them as a free unit in naval battles

the campaign AI is greatly improved just read the tib bits we have been given, they make it sound alot better. i guess we wait till it is released tho.
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

I don't think the AI promises here are any greater or less great then any others.

The reviews so far (There is a translated version of a Ottoman Campiagn, 18 turns, over at Total war forum center) have been positive on the new AI diplomatically.

Long as Milan dosn't show up i'm happy.

As I used to tell a friend,

Me: "Yea but the only benefit of playing Milan, is that you can't be betrayed....by MILAN."
    Friend: "True but even then your not sure....maybe you'll betray yourself."

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    I don't think the AI promises here are any greater or less great then any others.

The reviews so far (There is a translated version of a Ottoman Campiagn, 18 turns, over at Total war forum center) have been positive on the new AI diplomatically.

Me: "Yea but the only benefit of playing Milan, is that you can't be betrayed....by MILAN."

Given that the game now features revolution and civil war Milan would be only too happy to go to war with itself. It would be a glorious conflict of annoying crossbows and overpowered super miltia.

Milan might not be in the game but Venice, the Papal States and Tuscany/Florence are. Maybe one of them will become Milan's spiritual succesor?

On topic, I have high hopes for the campaign AI this time around. All the signs so far point to it being improved, maybe even sensible. We shall have to wait and see, but I think most of us will be pleased.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 02-23-2009 at 12:02.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    I don't think Sheo's the author of the comic. Everyone kept copying into their albums so often (like me) that the original author was quickly lost in the sands of time.
    I actually made it from a template :P

http://remiq.net/static/img/remiq.net_4109.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
    well, the campaign sounds much more interesting now that things actually matter and the AI is willing to listen and keep their word. I look forward to capturing ships and getting them as a free unit in naval battles
    I only hope you can sell them their ships back. And loan them money to buy their ships back.

And possibly break their leaders knees if they fail to pay up

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post

You know, I think I saw Piedmont on the map
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!