Thread: Fife and drum

Default Fife and drum

Where are the fife and for Pete sakes proper marching drum beat?
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Default Re: Fife and drum

Drums and trumpets are there, fife, maybe, pipes, who knows.

All i've heard on mine is the same continuous drum beat, the one you hear when the soldiers march, and only ever the trumpet when you order a charge.

I'm really hoping some of the other instruments will be added in the full game, i want to see my soldiers advance to the kind of tunes you heard in the Patriot. It may have been a-historical in almost every other way, but at least the battle music and drum beats were spot on.

I found the music good, not sure but I am sure there will be other sound and music beats in the full game, this is only 2gigs, full game is 15gigs.

Not sure if your larger units will have a drum, or fife or whatever, we shall see.

Fargo (Yeah, yeah, but IRL we dont talk like that here)

I would like to see a fife and drum corps be a trainable unit.

I believe that in reality the men and young boys that formed those corps we highly trained. I imagine you'd have to be in order to keep a good marching beat, what with artillery exploding, bullets snapping by your head, and the general confusion of battle.

Standard bearers could be trained up the same way. I'd love to see individual standard bearers in each unit rather than the giant flags we have now. (yes i know i can shut them off in options)
    Genius by birth, slacker by choice.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phog_of_War View Post
    I would like to see a fife and drum corps be a trainable unit.

I believe that in reality the men and young boys that formed those corps we highly trained. I imagine you'd have to be in order to keep a good marching beat, what with artillery exploding, bullets snapping by your head, and the general confusion of battle.

Standard bearers could be trained up the same way. I'd love to see individual standard bearers in each unit rather than the giant flags we have now. (yes i know i can shut them off in options)
    There is definitely a flag bearer for each individual unit in addition to the giant flags.

I thought that musicians would indeed be a seperate trainable unit, and they may still be. We probably won't find out until the actual game.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Maybe a tech that would increase the skill of drummers/pipers/buglers etc with the effect of increased morale, discipline or march speed?
    My view is that it is deserable to be both loved and feared; but it is difficult to achieve both and, if one of them has to be lacking, it is much safer to be feared than loved. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reminds me of a Michael Mcintyre at the Apollo sketch. You could train your troops to skip, rather than March, and swing their arms forward together at the same time, they would be a lot quicker and agile, with no cost to exhaustion.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    There is definitely a flag bearer for each individual unit in addition to the giant flags.

I thought that musicians would indeed be a seperate trainable unit, and they may still be. We probably won't find out until the actual game.

Yeah I have seen them. Every once in a while you'll see them wave the flag around.

But shouldnt there be a Regimental flag carrier as well, and a Regimental Battles standard on the other side?

While i think that would be two, to many flags for some. Personally I loved to see all the regalia of Roman, medieval, and nepoleanic and fighting. There is an artistry about in that is fasinating, but more than that, its psycological warfare.

Weather it was the fear of Atilla the Hun that made the Eastern Roman Empire capitulate and, basicly give all thir gold to the Huns to make them go away. The seemingly invincible aura of Erwin Romell, that had the entire British 8th (or was it the 6th?) Army in Africa, so beaten in their own minds, that they let Romell slap them around Northern Africa for a few months until Monty took over. To something as 'normal' as a battle cry.

I did notice in the Brandywine AAR thread screenshots, that the British units of Scots has a drummer, so perhaps it will be either a trainable unit. And they are attached to the line company, much like artillery brigades are attached to divisions today. Or they come with a more special unit, like the Scot Infantry. I will have to play the demo again to see if the British Guard units have drummers as well, or maybe even the regular Redcoat Infantry has them, and I just never noticed.
    Last edited by Phog_of_War; 02-24-2009 at 20:06. Reason: bkaus I kant spel
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Phog_of_War View Post
    Yeah I have seen them. Every once in a while you'll see them wave the flag around.

But shouldnt there be a Regimental flag carrier as well, and a Regimental Battles standard on the other side?

While i think that would be two, to many flags for some. Personally I loved to see all the regalia of Roman, medieval, and nepoleanic and fighting. There is an artistry about in that is fasinating, but more than that, its psycological warfare.

Weather it was the fear of Atilla the Hun that made the Eastern Roman Empire capitulate and, basicly give all thir gold to the Huns to make them go away. The seemingly invincible aura of Erwin Romell, that had the entire British 8th (or was it the 6th?) Army in Africa, so beaten in their own minds, that they let Romell slap them around Northern Africa for a few months until Monty took over. To something as 'normal' as a battle cry.

I did notice in the Brandywine AAR thread screenshots, that the British units of Scots has a drummer, so perhaps it will be either a trainable unit. And they are attached to the line company, much like artillery brigades are attached to divisions today. Or they come with a more special unit, like the Scot Infantry. I will have to play the demo again to see if the British Guard units have drummers as well, or maybe even the regular Redcoat Infantry has them, and I just never noticed.
    I think every Line unit has a drummer. I'm not sure about skirmishers. You can hear them beat out the orders as units raise there guns to fire, or beat out the rhyth for a marching unit.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Yup. Just checked it out. Nice touch. Still, I'd like to see at least some pipes with the Scot infantry
    <=== Member since 2000

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

Thumbs down Re: Fife and drum

Light Infantry have a trumpet player. But whenever he brings the trumpet to his mouth, no sound plays. Moreover, I was let down to see the highlanders didn't have any pipes.

I just really wish they had some form of pipe or fife that goes along with the drum in every unit.

There is in one of the units at least a guy holding a bugle, he dosen't play any tune unfortunatley. Hopefully in future patches they add a bagpipe player, that would be a unbelievably nifty little additon (the funs in the details!)

Also, the drummer. He beats spastically fast dosen't he? Isn't he supposed to be beating out the march speed? He drums like a punk rocker. Ratatatatatatatata.

Well I dont know about a punk rock drummer, but he does beat out the riff for each order.
    <=== Member since 2000

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

A drummer who tirned up the the battlefield with an actual drumkit would be hilarious. Especially if he brouht along a banjo player and a trumpeteer. They could form a battlefield band, and play a live concert to raise troop morale .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

LADIES AND GENTELMEN!!

THE EMPIRE PUNK-A-TEERS!!!
    <=== Member since 2000

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu