View Poll Results: Who will be the "betrayer" nation of ETW?

Voters
54. This poll is closed
  • Britain

8 14.81%
  • France

8 14.81%
  • Prussia

2 3.70%
  • Prussia

5 9.26%
  • Sweden

2 3.70%
  • Russia

3 5.56%
  • Poland-Lithuania

1 1.85%
  • United Provinces

1 1.85%
  • Ottoman Empire

3 5.56%
  • Austria

9 16.67%
  • Maratha Confederacy

0 0%
  • US

1 1.85%
  • Gah....

5 9.26%
  • I like polls

6 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The betrayer

Default The betrayer

So was playing mtw2 last night a bit after the demo, and got to thinking.

Each game in recent memory has had a betrayer nation. A nation who no matter how much you give, no matter how long you've been allies, pow, they attack you. While this was true of many nations in RTW and MTW2 two stood out to me

Numidia of RTW (Carthage players know what I"m talking about)

and

Milan of MTW2 (Oh...the crossbowmen...so many crossbowmen...)

So who do you think is going to be the backstabbing cannot be trusted nation of ETW? Place your bets :)

Feel free to give reasons that have no facts attached :P

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: The betrayer

The German factions. They're in a pretty similar situation to that of Milan in M2TW (I never want to see another Genoese Crossbowman again), and especially considering the fact that there will be no Rebels, they will have to annoy their neighbours to expand. Especially the ones that are totally landlocked (Austria, Bavaria etc).
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Clearly it will be France. They are huge, powerful, and they know it. Why would they ally with a nation when they could invade and flatten them?

One of the top Empires in the world doesn't need allies. (Not until I take over playing as Britain at any rate).

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

I'm not sure who will be the betrayer*, but I imagine diplomatic tension in Eastern Europe will be especially high due to the new nature of alliances (You either help an ally in a defensive war or the alliance is broken). I can foresee a lot of betrayals leading to allied coalitions, if "the betrayer" attacks the wrong faction he may end up igniting a full scale war across Europe between many nations.

*Of course, the betrayer will be me.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-23-2009 at 12:10.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I'm not sure who will be the betrayer*, but I imagine diplomatic tension in Eastern Europe will be especially high due to the new nature of alliances (You either help an ally in a defensive war or the alliance is broken). I can foresee a lot of betrayals leading to allied coalitions, if "the betrayer" attacks the wrong faction he may end up igniting a full scale war across Europe between many nations.

*Of course, the betrayer will be me.
    I really hope that this is the case. I would love it if my ill-advised rampage of invasion united the whole of Europe in arms against me. Much like Europe united against Napoleon. I hope I will have to pick my battles carefully to avoid annoying a coalition.

Perhaps we will have to use diplomacy and subterfuge to break up an alliance before picking off its members...

It has the potential to be incredible fun .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    I really hope that this is the case. I would love it if my ill-advised rampage of invasion united the whole of Europe in arms against me. Much like Europe united against Napoleon. I hope I will have to pick my battles carefully to avoid annoying a coalition.

Perhaps we will have to use diplomacy and subterfuge to break up an alliance before picking off its members...

It has the potential to be incredible fun .
    Indeed. As good as the campaign AI seems from all indications it can only get better, because you know people love to tinker with that kinda thing. Not to mention Jack's campaign report was on Normal, I know the first thing I am gonna do is jump into a Hard or VH game.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-23-2009 at 12:38.

Cleraly the Austrians or Swedes. As my mom's father (aka grandfather) always told me: "Never trust a Swede or an Austrian.
    And also you Germans aren't trustworthy. You can only trust old Danes like me or your grandma."
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Avatar made by Durango Signature made by 777Ares777 and proudly used by Marten!

While I"ve seen games increase difficult based on VH or H i've never seen them add in a feature that wasn't there.

So if coalitions are in, I am sure they are in for M and VH.

Jack only fought denmark, so no need for form a coalition against him.

In the later game, it still may happen though.

Hmmm Polemists...i think your poll is a bit tendencious...since it has Prussia twice
    I would have chosen France and Spain...if Spain was present on the poll :P

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Obviously, Sweden.

It will aggressively try to expand its influence even (especially) where it is neither wanted nor needed.

We call this the 'Ikea-motif'
    Last edited by Daevyll; 02-23-2009 at 13:45.

Well...even tho I plan to play Austria (most votes against) and Prussia is my major enemy (faction listed twice) it was honestly a copy paste mistake :P

I'd change it..but sadly edit does not include polls

So spain is granted a repreive, and everyone knows you can trust the Spainish Enchilada :P

I went with my own nation, Britain. It has been at war with just about every other nation on earth at some point in the last 1000 years and was awfully greedy during the days of the empire, where it stole a hell of a lot of land and then used the land and its people to enrich the British (mostly English) nobility, and during this games time frame was at the peak of its land grabbing frenzy.

Britain will be the bastards.

I'll avoid the frustration by playing as nobody but the British, since they were the most fascinating nation of this period anyhow.

Clearly it will be Perfidious Albion! England will have to play the continental powers off against each other if it is to repeat history.

Or, to put it another way, subsidise Europe in the face of misguided French megalomania - in the meantime it can get on with building a real empire

The Dutch might be able to play this game as well - much more difficult though
    Cheers,
    The Freedom Onanist

Yeah, I think the Brits will be in a position to betray everyone. But then the French will keep on having revolutions so you won't know where you stand with them either.

As for the Dutch - well, they'll no doubt appear all friendly, meanwhile amassing a gigantic stockpile of tulips with which to conquer the known world!

We'll be nice
    But in the meanwhile we'll trade and sail with our powerfull navy, hell I'll even sail to Chatham again if I have to
    Last edited by Wausser; 02-23-2009 at 15:37.
    My Balloons:

Playing as the Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden

The actual UP flag

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Russia is going to be the bad boy. It wants to expand to the West to get Sea access and it wants to advance South into the Ottoman Empire.

Russia might have been a little backwards, but a tech'd Russia would make the Europeans cry for America to be founded.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Ottomans, they have alot of neighbors and alot of land, they won't hesitate to plough through there lessers I wouldn't think.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

It probably depends on what faction you play as.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Ottomans, taking back the role played by egypt in MTW.
    Old warriors know more tricks!

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't vote on the poll...

But yes, I would say France.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Never trust a Turk, never. The Ottomans want to take Europe but I will Gallipoli their asses. Well, maybe not like how it really happened. I will take more ships!

Many thanks to Durango!

just cause we are Rivals inst it....I will see you on the fields Polemist see you on the field....ps bring the cup cakes I might forget them
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    When you find yourself sinking into madness, Dive!
    WE WANT A...............DEMO!
    This message is brought to you by the Demo Legions. If you have the Demo remember this, We will find you!

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

United Provinces, my Dutch friends always turn on me during team doubles in Paintball....
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Courland, of course. Who else would it be? Those Courlandians are nothing but a bunch of traitors.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Onanist View Post
    Clearly it will be Perfidious Albion! England will have to play the continental powers off against each other if it is to repeat history.
    This is from what I understand from intercontinental politics and warfare of the 18th century (which for some reason my history class missed so I am probably wrong.)

Its not so much of repeating history but a necesity for Britain to pit the other contries against eachother. Britain could barley have whithstood a full on fully concentrated invasion by France during the 18th century and I think the AI will consider this. At the time France was the resident Superpower and seeing that France hated Britains guts they needed all advantages they could get their hands on to keep the "Franch armageddon that would smash the dreams of a Perfect Albion" from becoming a grim reality. If CA are realy going to deliver on to their claims on AI, Britain will not be a warmongering nation spoiling for a fight but a more cautious neigbour trying to keep the current top dog in check and distraced enough for it to not beable to safely commit to taking the jewel that was the British Isles without being backstabbed by landgrabbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Clearly it will be France. They are huge, powerful, and they know it. Why would they ally with a nation when they could invade and flatten them?
    Again assuming that the AI will act similar to what is historically accurate;
    !Warning long sentance ahead!
    On the french side of things their AI wont be the rampaging superpower taking over the world because they know that if they even thought of taking over anything larger than a small island outside of defending an ally that was attacked, in Europe anyway, they would have Britain(definitely), Portugal(if persuaded by Britain which would have been a certainty), Spain, maybe Denmark, Norway and/or Sweden, some german city states and some northern Italian factions come crashing down on them using Frances agression as an excuse to grab precious land.

Sorry that should be "To join in with their allies to put down an agressive Enemy that had full intention of selfishly taking over the world and them with it"

Well thats my anyway.

Oh I allmost forgot. I beleive it will be the USA who will be the betrayer nation because they will be eagar to kick any faction out of NA.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-24-2009 at 04:23.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Bit like the war of 1812, eh?

Hopefully, the AI of different factions will all be unique, or at least historically accurate. Or it could differe by who is the faction leader...
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Blog Entries

Well if I was the USA I would not want a bunch of smelly trespassers setting up shop on my nice, relatively untouched new home.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-24-2009 at 04:35.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Well if I was the USA I would not want a bunch of smelly trespassers setting up shop on my nice, relatively untouched new home.
    I think the idea is that you are the smelly trespassers. :)

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

the british; mostly because I will be playing them.

EDIT: people actually voted "I like voting in polls"? auch!!
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 02-24-2009 at 04:48.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    I think the idea is that you are the smelly trespassers. :)
    I was trying to express how the USA saw it and how it will probably react to the situation in the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast