Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38

Thread: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

  1. #1
    Ultimate Member tibilicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,663

    Default Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7906031.stm

    Well looks like the fake image of a better government for what can only be described as the worlds biggest c**p hole still holds a dark an sinister undertone.

    Judging by this uncle bob is still firmly in charge of things. I think Zimbabwe, which has gone from a fair level of stability under Rhodesia to a country ruled by terror really is a lost cause. After all it's clear Uncle bobs lost the plot, almost 30 years after first taking power the guys still hung up on stamping out "colonialism" and whites in his country. You know, I just can't get over the guys genius, lets kick white people of the land because of ridiculous ancestral claims and stick them full of people who don't have the slightest idea on how to run a farm.


    Oh and let's throw in a stab at the Brits for good measure because after all, they were the ones actually against Ian Smiths White minority rule and we can't accept that Zanu-PF ruined everything. You know, I never thought I would say this but whilst Ian Smith was completely wrong to insist on white minority rule, at least he knew how to run a country. Obviously this isn't a unique case and many African countries mirror the same trend of despair but I find Zimbabwe a particularly good and defining care of what happens when you let a mentally unstable leader take over your country.


    So here's to Uncle bob, look out for everyone but himself since 1980


    Or not..
    Last edited by tibilicus; 02-23-2009 at 18:09.


    "A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

  2. #2
    This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The wilderness...
    Posts
    9,215

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    and inflation - estimated by some economists at 10 sextillion per cent

    What does this number even mean ?!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,103

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    What does this number even mean ?!
    If you're an economist? An erection.
    #Hillary4prism

    BD:TW

    Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

    Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

  4. #4
    Time Lord Member The_Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The TARDIS
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    What does this number even mean ?!
    10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

  5. #5
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world

    They should let go of their money economy and start using grain as currency, be a little creative.

  6. #6
    BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forever adrift
    Posts
    5,668

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7906031.stm

    Well looks like the fake image of a better government for what can only be described as the worlds biggest c**p hole still holds a dark an sinister undertone.

    Judging by this uncle bob is still firmly in charge of things. I think Zimbabwe, which has gone from a fair level of stability under Rhodesia to a country ruled by terror really is a lost cause. After all it's clear Uncle bobs lost the plot, almost 30 years after first taking power the guys still hung up on stamping out "colonialism" and whites in his country. You know, I just can't get over the guys genius, lets kick white people of the land because of ridiculous ancestral claims and stick them full of people who don't have the slightest idea on how to run a farm.


    Oh and let's throw in a stab at the Brits for good measure because after all, they were the ones actually against Ian Smiths White minority rule and we can't accept that Zanu-PF ruined everything. You know, I never thought I would say this but whilst Ian Smith was completely wrong to insist on white minority rule, at least he knew how to run a country. Obviously this isn't a unique case and many African countries mirror the same trend of despair but I find Zimbabwe a particularly good and defining care of what happens when you let a mentally unstable leader take over your country.


    So here's to Uncle bob, look out for everyone but himself since 1980


    Or not..
    it seems rare that i ever agree with you, but i am definitely on-board this time.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

  7. #7
    Upstanding Member rvg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    America
    Posts
    3,818

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Or better yet, get rid of Uncle Bob who despite everything going on still has quite a bit of popular support.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

    “The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member tibilicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,663

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Or better yet, get rid of Uncle Bob who despite everything going on still has quite a bit of popular support.
    Unfortunately the media is muted in Zimbabwe and any press released has to show Bob in good light. Pretty much his popular support comes from those hard-line Zanu-PF supporters who still insists it's all the UK's fault or those people who have been brainwashed into believing the lies.

    As for the inflation issue the fact that US $ are the only readily accepted currency shows how bad the situation is. It's at the point that Zimbabwes central bank has given up printing money almost as it's costing them more in paper than the notes are worth.


    "A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

  9. #9
    Upstanding Member rvg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    America
    Posts
    3,818

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    Unfortunately the media is muted in Zimbabwe and any press released has to show Bob in good light. Pretty much his popular support comes from those hard-line Zanu-PF supporters who still insists it's all the UK's fault or those people who have been brainwashed into believing the lies.

    As for the inflation issue the fact that US $ are the only readily accepted currency shows how bad the situation is. It's at the point that Zimbabwes central bank has given up printing money almost as it's costing them more in paper than the notes are worth.
    Yep. As long as Uncle Bob has some support, the Zimbabweans deserve to have him. They made their bed, now let them sleep in it.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

    “The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

  10. #10
    Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East of Augusta Vindelicorum
    Posts
    5,575

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
    You missed a few zeros!

    This is a UK article so you use long form numbers.

    10 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

    Gee, there is a food shortage, so it only makes sense that you disrupt all food production and give the croplands to people who can‘t grow anything.

    Of course those poor peasants getting the land are most likely government ministers and bankers, but the result is still the same.
    Last edited by Fisherking; 02-23-2009 at 21:00.


    Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

  11. #11
    Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,902

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    They have removed 22(!) zeroes from thier currency since july 2008 (and then they already removed 3 zeroes in 2005). But to be fair the currency has only grown with 12 zeroes since that date.
    That was by 2 February so the new currency is probably up to millions by now, or atleast until the end of the month.
    So it's increasing with approximatly 24 zeroes a year and the rate is afaik still increasing.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

    Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

  12. #12
    Member Member Productivity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Ulsan, South Korea
    Posts
    1,185

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    and inflation - estimated by some economists at 10 sextillion per cent

    What does this number even mean ?!
    It means you have no functional cash economy.

  13. #13
    This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The wilderness...
    Posts
    9,215

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Im glad i set a couple of people up for one liners...

    I didn't think money priniting would be too much of a problem... just make bigger notes every few days...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

  14. #14
    RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    7,545

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Is this the guy that Obama helped get electeded or is this a different Ogabe? America, this is your future...
    Last edited by Devastatin Dave; 02-24-2009 at 04:15.
    RIP Tosa

  15. #15
    Backordered Member CrossLOPER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brass heart.
    Posts
    2,380

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    This is the guy that Obama help get electedor is this a different Ogabe.
    What does this sentence even mean ?!
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

    -><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

  16. #16
    This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The wilderness...
    Posts
    9,215

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    What does this sentence even mean ?!

    ODS, a severe case....
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

  17. #17
    Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,290

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Im not sure about the "worst". How does Zimbabwe stack up against North Korea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

  18. #18
    Ultimate Member tibilicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,663

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    Im not sure about the "worst". How does Zimbabwe stack up against North Korea?
    Fairly similar I suppose. Both leaders trying to make pathetic attempts at a cult of personality, both have disgusting records on human rights but perhaps the big difference is that at least North Korea has the dong or whatever currency they use to afford nuclear weapons, Bob and Zimbabwe don't.


    "A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

  19. #19
    Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    It's funny because, I said in my economy class that with one euro, you could take a year long vacation in 5 Stars hotels in Zimbabwe. :P
    With 10 euros, you can buy the country. ^_^
    BLARGH!

  20. #20
    Dux Nova Scotia Member lars573's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Halifax NewScotland Canada
    Posts
    4,114

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Is this the guy that Obama helped get electeded or is this a different Ogabe? America, this is your future...
    I seriously doubt that. Unless Obama was fighting in the Rhodisian civil war in his late teens.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

    VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

    I came, I saw, I kicked ass

  21. #21
    Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In ur nun, causing a bloody schism!
    Posts
    7,906

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    What does this sentence even mean ?!

    ODS, a severe case....
    So sad. Dave was such a gentle fellow.


    Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 



  22. #22
    Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,415

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    So, what can Uncle Bob's experience teach us? What mistakes did he make, that we should avoid?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

  23. #23
    Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin Death Trip
    Posts
    15,754

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    The news out of Zimbabwe is so depressing I've stopped reading about it. I think it was the article about how hyenas were eating abandoned babies in the bush that did me in. Once you've got hyenas eating still-living babies I kinda have to say, "That's it, stick a fork in me, I'm done." A little too much hell-on-earth for my delicate psyche.

    Going back to DevDave's severe case of ODS, there's a half-decent roundup of the rightwing hate-in at Media Matters. I know, I know, they're as partisan of a source as you could find outside of Sean Hannity's underwear, but the links and facts cited in the article are legit, and it's an interesting read. Try not to get extra-bonus deranged when you read it.

    Barack Obama is "arrogant," "dishonest," and "radical," Fox News' Sean Hannity announced during a single 10-second chunk of prime-time TV last week—a casually hateful appraisal that didn't even raise eyebrows, simply because that kind of blanketed disdain for the new president has already become so commonplace.

    Rush Limbaugh's original anti-Obama proclamation at the outset of his presidency—"I hope he fails"—already seems benign in retrospect. Since Inauguration Day we've learned Obama has "Marxist tendencies" and is "addicting this country to heroin—the heroin that is government slavery" (Glenn Beck). That, "there are eerie, eerie similarities" between Obama and Nazis" (Michael Savage's guest host, Chris Stigall). And of course, Limbaugh himself famously bemoaned that "[w]e are being told that we have to hope [Obama] succeeds, that we have to bend over, grab the ankles ... because his father was black." [...]

    If we just pause and take one or two steps back from the daily/hourly barrage of hate, it's obvious that faced with the new Obama presidency, the Republican Noise Machine has already lost all perspective—has gone totally loco—and it's only February, a mere month into Obama's first four years in office. Who dares to even imagine where the right-wing "conversation" goes from here?
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." — Groucho Marx

  24. #24
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    That's horrible

    When I visited Zimbabwe in 1997 it was still the breadbasket of southern Africa and you could read letters in the local papers from members of the well- educated black middle class complaining, for example, that a floral roundabout was not being properly maintained.




    And it can all be fixed soooooooooo easily.
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-25-2009 at 17:42.

  25. #25
    Ultimate Member tibilicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,663

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    That's horrible

    When I visited Zimbabwe in 1997 it was still the breadbasket of southern Africa and you could read letters in the local papers from members of the well- educated black middle class complaining, for example, that a floral roundabout was not being properly maintained.




    And it can all be fixed soooooooooo easily.
    South Africa holds the key in my opinion.

    Of course they wont do anything though as their governments also full of spineless cowards who support old bob.


    "A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

  26. #26
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    South Africa holds the key in my opinion.

    Of course they wont do anything though as their governments also full of spineless cowards who support old bob.
    I think it runs deeper then mere cowardice, I think they are ashamed about a reactionary black nation failing so horribly, it's like saying they need the white man and that kicking them out was a serious mistake, that must be pretty humiliating given our special relationship. But that's not helping the people over there this really has to stop.

  27. #27
    Upstanding Member rvg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    America
    Posts
    3,818

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    So, what can Uncle Bob's experience teach us? What mistakes did he make, that we should avoid?
    Wasn't good enough of a teacher apparently, since both Namibia and South Africa are seriously considering Mugabe-style land reforms. I fear that once Mandela dies, situation in South Africa will deteriorate very quickly. For now ANC respects him too much to go against his policy of peace and reconciliation, but the man is 90.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

    “The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

  28. #28
    BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forever adrift
    Posts
    5,668

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    hahaha, having lived in africa i fear you may be right.

    tho i sincerely hope not, but at some point africa will have to stand on its own two feet and stop finding excuses for bad governance.

    though there are african nation that buck this trend, shame the generalisation fits tho :(
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

  29. #29
    Ultimate Member tibilicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,663

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I think it runs deeper then mere cowardice, I think they are ashamed about a reactionary black nation failing so horribly, it's like saying they need the white man and that kicking them out was a serious mistake, that must be pretty humiliating given our special relationship. But that's not helping the people over there this really has to stop.
    So the question is was Africa really that much better under white minority rule?

    Whilst in no way do I think Apartheid is a good thing when it takes away the rights of black but you really have to look at the evidence. Just look as south Africa and Zimbabwe now, South Africa used to be a much bigger economic player, it used to have much lower crime rates and it was developing at least in most areas at a very good rate. Now the trend has very much turned and from what I'm seeing and reading these days it's only going to get worse.

    Yet the most staggering thing is the fact that the black majority rule now still seem to insist all of Africa's problems are the white mans fault. Yet does any one want to take a guess out how much South African whites contribute to the economy? How they are pretty much the staple of the country?
    Sure colonialism was never a good thing and it will forever leave a scar on the African continent but that for one doesn't excuse the action of uncle bob and his friends. The fact of the matter is we gave them what they wanted and they blew it, big time.
    Last edited by tibilicus; 02-25-2009 at 21:24.


    "A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

  30. #30
    Upstanding Member rvg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    America
    Posts
    3,818

    Default Re: Welcome to the worst country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    So the question is was Africa really that much better under white minority rule?

    Whilst in no way do I think Apartheid is a good thing when it takes away the rights of black but you really have to look at the evidence. Just look as south Africa and Zimbabwe now, South Africa used to be a much bigger economic player, it used to have much lower crime rates and it was developing at least in most areas at a very good rate. Now the trend has very much turned and from what I'm seeing and reading these days it's only going to get worse.

    Yet the most staggering thing is the fact that the black majority rule now still seem to insist all of Africa's problems are the white mans fault. Yet does any one want to take a guess out how much South African whites contribute to the economy? How they are pretty much the staple of the country?
    Sure colonialism was never a good thing and it will forever leave a scar on the African continent but that for one doesn't excuse the action of uncle bob and his friends. The fact of the matter is we gave them what they wanted and they blew it, big time.
    Which is why it is so important to see to it that situation in Zimbabwe explodes into popular revolt. If the african head honchos see Bob's head on a pike, perhaps only *that* could be big enough of a deterrant for them not to follow in his footsteps.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

    “The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO