Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabled cbeebies presenter 'scares children'

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

Default Disabled cbeebies presenter 'scares children'

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090223/...l-45dbed5.html
    A Cbeebies presenter who was born with one arm 'scares' children.
    Myself, I think its mean to complain.
    If parents are that mean and selfish what is going on.
    Children will end up thinking disabled people are 'bad' and not acceptable in the society.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Disabled cbeebies presenter 'scares children'

What rubbish. A bunch of pathetic parents, themselves children of the government, worrying over something new and different.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    What rubbish. A bunch of pathetic parents, themselves children of the government, worrying over something new and different.

CR
    This is a change - CR supporting fewer arms
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

They say she has had a long career as an actor. Shouldn't she be called an actress then?
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

This story is pathetic on many levels. First being that SkyNews is making a story out of forum postings:
    But parents on online forums have claimed she 'frightens' their children.
    So, are we going to be their next story?

Further, the idea that parents would actually think "unsightly" disabled people should be hidden from view, is similarly pathetic. Someone who's disability elicits a negative reaction from their children should be a teachable moment for the parent to explain why they're different and that it's nothing to be afraid of. But no, instead we have parents complaining that these people are allowed on TV.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

We should ban disabled people from the streets too, otherwise how can we prevent our children from seeing them?
    Last edited by Kralizec; 02-23-2009 at 22:42.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I think this example is silly, she looks like a nice person and if I was a child she wouldn't frighten me.

But I think there is a limit to these sort of things. For example, I remember in school hearing about this woman with no arms or legs, and how she got pregnant and had a baby. So, they had a statue of her put up somewhere, in London IIRC. The statue displayed here sitting down on the floor, stark naked, while well into her pregnancy. Now, if I was a child and saw this naked, limbless, pot-bellied monster staring at me, it would guarantee me nightmares for a long time to come. Sometimes people just take things too far. The idea was it would show what people could accomplish despite difficulties, I say if that's the case why don't they just cart her round in a circus that way even more people can be inspired.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Thread over.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    They say she has had a long career as an actor. Shouldn't she be called an actress then?
    That is now probably considered sexist.

We should ban mentally disabled parents who complain about physical disabilities.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    actress is synonomous with "prostitute", for obvious reasons.

Now, about this story.

I was terrified of losing a limb as a child and, to be honest, it remains a phobia. She will scare some children, and if you think about her dissability as a birth defect and how that might relate to genetics you can see why such a phobia might develope. At the same time we are programmed to recognise a particular human shape, and it has two arms.

For these reasons I would say that it is not appropriate for her to present young childrens' programs. Irrc, the "Bedtime hour" is on at 7pm, so we are talking too young to really understand here.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

She's pretty fit. Everything else that needed to be said was nailed by Husar
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

How far would you let these things go though? There's the example I gave already, but if that's not enough... what about those 8-limbed babies, would you let them present a childrens TV show when they grow up?

I'm just wondering whether people think this story is silly because its a matter of degree (as I would say), or whether there should never be discrimination against any person for their disability in these situations.

First we have one armed people presenting kids tv where will it stop ? Ginger people ? Black people ? and what about warts... witches are supposed to have warts that could be scary...

Obviously only wholesome good looking young white people are suitable... not too good looking of course... wouldn't want the little buggers attracted to them...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    First we have one armed people presenting kids tv where will it stop ? Ginger people ? Black people ? and what about warts... witches are supposed to have warts that could be scary...

Obviously only wholesome good looking young white people are suitable... not too good looking of course... wouldn't want the little buggers attracted to them...
    Would you let someone with 8 limbs present a childrens show? Yes or No?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post

I draw the line at The Elephant Man.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I would let them do a show about spiders.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

We allow a giant yellow bird to teach life lessons. So I consider that an improvement
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Sure why not, im sure young indian children are exposed to that multi limbed god (forgotten the name) without too many problems...

Children are more curious of differences, sure they can be scared more easily than most people, but im sure some young white kid who somehow never saw a black person could be scared by a very dark black presenter, does that mean we should avoid black tv presenters because little timmy doesn't understand that the slight difference that person has is nothing to be afraid off ?

Children should be exposed to the differences and be told they are nothing to worry about or fear, the fear they experience is off something unknown, once they see this woman is only missing an arm but apart from that is as loveable as any other tv presenter they'll be fine, and importantly now never to fear one armed people again...
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 02-24-2009 at 01:19.

Definitely not. Obviously an Qctosquid alliance fifth column. Jeez some people.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

I think this example is silly, she looks like a nice person and if I was a child she wouldn't frighten me.

But I think there is a limit to these sort of things. For example, I remember in school hearing about this woman with no arms or legs, and how she got pregnant and had a baby. So, they had a statue of her put up somewhere, in London IIRC. The statue displayed here sitting down on the floor, stark naked, while well into her pregnancy. Now, if I was a child and saw this naked, limbless, pot-bellied monster staring at me, it would guarantee me nightmares for a long time to come. Sometimes people just take things too far. The idea was it would show what people could accomplish despite difficulties, I say if that's the case why don't they just cart her round in a circus that way even more people can be inspired.
    You mean that statue at Trafalgar Square? Having grown up seeing headless and armless ancient Greek statues, that Trafalgar Square statue would have been nothing out of the ordinary to me.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and say it: the one-armed thing is a little weird, but honestly the lady's actually pretty good-looking. Personally, I think if I tried going out on a date with her, it would take me less than 5 minutes to forget about the arm.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Okay, and a few beers, if things got interesting over the following night.

I'd still go out with her if she was missing her two legs as well provided she has a nice character.

I don't really see why children would be scared of that unless their parents did something weird to them.
    What about her own child? does it freak out every time it sees it's mom?
    I remember there was a woman who lost all four limbs in hospital due to a bacteria infection before or after giving birth to her child(we had a thread about it here), her child didn't really seem to freak out over that either.
    You cannot and should not protect your children from everything negative in this world and the fact that those people see her missing arm as something negative tells me a lot about them anyway.
    For me a person is more than four legs and four arms.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

I'm calling BS on the story because I've seen my 3 and 5 year old interact with several folks with serious "abnormalities" (Then again, they have me as a father!!!) and they've never been frightened because at an early age I've not sheltered my children from some of the realities of life. But seriously...

My son became friends with a guy out at Best Buy. The young man is wheelchair bound and his name is Bobby (like my son, which he thought was the coolest). When my son met him, not once did my boy give the guy any weird looks or ask any uncorfortable questions. When we left, my son did ask me, "Why did Bobby have wheels". I explained to him in life everyone is physically different and everyone has different things happen in their life. I did not know whether or not Bobby had been in an accident or if he was born this way but it didn't make a difference to my child because Bobby was nice and that's what matters. My son is a kind hearted child. When my Nanny (Grandmother) was on her sick bed, dying of brain cancer and in agaonizing pain, my boy, at 3 years old, climbed into bed with her and snuggled with her. Its a moment I'll never forget. My Nanny was in a horrific state and it was very disturbing to see, but through the eyes of a child, it was less scary.
    I'm sure these parents just didn't have the tenacity to explain to their children that people are different and there is nothing to fear from people that are different from you... unless they have belief systems bent on your destruction, like liberals!!!
    RIP Tosa

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Did it actually scare kids, I have little love for awareness spammers.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    You jerk, I almost spit my chocolate milk all over my monitor and keyboard!!

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

I'm calling BS on the story because I've seen my 3 and 5 year old interact with several folks with serious "abnormalities"

Exactly! Its the adults who are scared or intimdated, most children are just generally curious about differences people have, they would see the one arm as something curious and intresting rather than scary...

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

I have two small children who love CBeebies, and neither one of them so much as noticed that the new lady presenter was disabled. They were more interested in what she had to say about when Big Barn Farm was going to be on next. She is perfectly capable of doing the job; she's pleasant, doesn't talk down to the children and does the links as well as anyone else. The fact that she has a missing forearm is neither here nor there. She can do the job.

This "news" story says a lot about Sky News. You have to remember that Sky rarely says anything positive about the BBC. Then again, could this be to do with the fact that Sky is owned by News International? The BBC are, by far, the biggest stumbling block to Sky and NI dominating the UK's airwaves.
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    I'm calling BS on the story because I've seen my 3 and 5 year old interact with several folks with serious "abnormalities" (Then again, they have me as a father!!!) and they've never been frightened because at an early age I've not sheltered my children from some of the realities of life. But seriously...

My son became friends with a guy out at Best Buy. The young man is wheelchair bound and his name is Bobby (like my son, which he thought was the coolest). When my son met him, not once did my boy give the guy any weird looks or ask any uncorfortable questions. When we left, my son did ask me, "Why did Bobby have wheels". I explained to him in life everyone is physically different and everyone has different things happen in their life. I did not know whether or not Bobby had been in an accident or if he was born this way but it didn't make a difference to my child because Bobby was nice and that's what matters. My son is a kind hearted child. When my Nanny (Grandmother) was on her sick bed, dying of brain cancer and in agaonizing pain, my boy, at 3 years old, climbed into bed with her and snuggled with her. Its a moment I'll never forget. My Nanny was in a horrific state and it was very disturbing to see, but through the eyes of a child, it was less scary.
    I'm sure these parents just didn't have the tenacity to explain to their children that people are different and there is nothing to fear from people that are different from you... unless they have belief systems bent on your destruction, like liberals!!!
    Quite so. I don't shy away from telling my children the truth of death, disease, deformity. It happens. They can get a little freaked out, but they soon accept it.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

This "news" story says a lot about Sky News. You have to remember that Sky rarely says anything positive about the BBC. Then again, could this be to do with the fact that Sky is owned by News International? The BBC are, by far, the biggest stumbling block to Sky and NI dominating the UK's airwaves.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was a factor, bit of a low blow imo though.

On a happier note it seems the vast majority of people who have called in have been fully supportive of the woman, on the morning show on BBC, they were talking about the issue and i think they said there was only 2 people who thought she would scare the children compared to im guessing at least hundreds of e-mails the other way... or thousands..?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast