Thread: Problem with Demo

Default Problem with Demo

I downloaded the demo through steam, but when i started the game it hang at the black screen with words. The mouse cursor change from a hourglass to a gold arrow and i heard shouting in the background however its struck in a loop.

I am using Win XP, 2 GB DDR2, intel core 2 duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz and NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT.

Anyhelp here? Really worry that i can't play Empire when its finally release.
    From this land I was made
    For this land I will fall

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Problem with Demo

I have had the same problem with the land battle. It doesn’t meant the other parts of the Demo don’t work though.

If the other parts don’t work (tutorials and naval battle) then try a reinstall. The land battle seems to have more trouble loading.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

For me i can't even enter the menu. I am struck at the loading screen.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    For me i can't even enter the menu. I am struck at the loading screen.
    I'd definitely try an uninstall/reinstall. If that doesn't work check to see if you have the latest drivers for your graphics card, that can sometimes cause problems. Thats probably the best advice I can give you.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I downloaded the demo through steam, but when i started the game it hang at the black screen with words. The mouse cursor change from a hourglass to a gold arrow and i heard shouting in the background however its struck in a loop.

I am using Win XP, 2 GB DDR2, intel core 2 duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz and NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT.

Anyhelp here? Really worry that i can't play Empire when its finally release.
    I have the same problem, none of the battles load at all for me. At least they don't visually load, you get the loading screen for the battles and it freezes on that, then you can hear the sounds of the battle going on.

intresting, i've got a dual core AMD and i just noticed that the demo doesn't use the second core at all.

we've been told the actual game will be optimised, this gives me hope for higher settings.

maybe that your problem
    ...whoever commands the ocean, commands the trade of the world, and whoever commands the trades of the world, commands the riches of the world, and whoever is master of that, commands the world itself..

"... it is a good thing to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." Voltaire, Candide.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006556106

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batemonkey View Post
    intresting, i've got a dual core AMD and i just noticed that the demo doesn't use the second core at all.

we've been told the actual game will be optimised, this gives me hope for higher settings.

maybe that your problem
    Yeah, apparently the demo uses really old code and doesn't take full advantage of your CPU. Try the things SB suggested, if they don't work.. well it's still kinda hard to troubleshoot because the demo is optimized so poorly.

A lot of people had similar problems.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-25-2009 at 18:10.

I see. I will try reinstalling and check if there are new updates for my graphic drivers.

Updated my drivers and reinstalled the demo. Good news i can play but the whole thing is sluggish.

I'm playing on a Dell XPS notebook. Intel Core2 Duo CPU and a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family gfx adapter. The land and sea battles run okay, the sea battles at nice clip. My problem is that, apart from the quotations on the loading screens, I can see no text, neither in the menus, nor in the battles. It does make it awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
    I'm playing on a Dell XPS notebook. Intel Core2 Duo CPU and a Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family gfx adapter. The land and sea battles run okay, the sea battles at nice clip. My problem is that, apart from the quotations on the loading screens, I can see no text, neither in the menus, nor in the battles. It does make it awkward.
    I am very impressed that you managed to get it running on an integrated chip, so it seems to be an issue of gift horses and mandibles.
    Last edited by quadalpha; 03-02-2009 at 02:53.

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    I am very impressed that you managed to get it running on an integrated chip, so it seems to be an issue of gift horses and mandibles.
    Quite possibly.

The sea battles display fairly well, fast with possibly some details awry, while the land units have some graphical/texture detail missing, but nothing too ugly. This computer ran Medieval 2 on middling setting so to get adequate gfx is good. I would like to get some text. It is not the problem I expected.

I will get the game, tho I hope the text issue will disappear somehow. The drivers were updated.
    Last edited by Patricius; 03-02-2009 at 03:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
    Quite possibly.

The sea battles display fairly well, fast with possibly some details awry, while the land units have some graphical/texture detail missing, but nothing too ugly. This computer ran Medieval 2 on middling setting so to get adequate gfx is good. I would like to get some text. It is not the problem I expected.

I will get the game, tho I hope the text issue will disappear somehow. The drivers were updated.
    I'm thinking it might be because your processor is doing the brute work of calculation well enough for the battles, but the text might be using a newer shader or whatnot, and so doesn't show up. I'd suggest trying one of those 3d card emulation software thingies, but my past experience with them hasn't been great. And also I can't remember what it was called.
    Last edited by quadalpha; 03-02-2009 at 03:08.

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    I'm thinking it might be because your processor is doing the brute work of calculation well enough for the battles, but the text might be using a newer shader or whatnot, and so doesn't show up. I'd suggest trying one of those 3d card emulation software thingies, but my past experience with them hasn't been great. And also I can't remember what it was called.
    Thanks, I'll see what I can do. I will probably just research the matter, and hope the problem doesn't exist for the boxed version. I am fairly content, text excepted. A battle is okay without text, what else is it but ensuring that the other side ceases to exist in any viable form, on the battlefield at least.

The difficulty is that these programs run the game executable, but this needs to be run by Steam. I'll find one.

I had a problem with it too...it lagged and my game would crash every once in a while...plus it would only let me have it on medium settings??...but i have high hopes for the actual game!!
    "Nations arent made by setting examples for others, they're made by making examples of others"