Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations for next comp to run Empire on

Default Any recommendations for next comp to run Empire on

Hey Guys,

I am no longer that up to date with computers. I am going to get a new computer (its way over due) to run Empire on. Any recommendations on some of the parts I should get for it? I want to be able to run the game on high settings. Your advice would be greatly appreciated, as I dont want to buy a new machine that wont run the game well. I would like to be as conservative as possible in price.

Thanks

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Default Re: Any recommendations for next comp to run Empire on

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeBaker View Post
    Hey Guys,

I am no longer that up to date with computers. I am going to get a new computer (its way over due) to run Empire on. Any recommendations on some of the parts I should get for it? I want to be able to run the game on high settings. Your advice would be greatly appreciated, as I dont want to buy a new machine that wont run the game well. I would like to be as conservative as possible in price.

Thanks
    It really depends on how much money you are willing to spend. What sort of price range do you want to look at? Do you want to buy a whole machine or build your own from parts? The more specific you are the better chance we have of finding the best deals . It might also help to say what country you are in, since certain stores are unavailable in certain areas.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

You might also want to wait to see how people go once they get the full game, at the moment it would all be guess work from the specs provided by CA, rather than real world experience.

Hollerbach makes a very good point and worth listening to. Of course if you want to make absolutley sure just buy the biggest fastest badass cpu (and a decent mobo to handle it) and video card on the market and add 2Gb-4Gb of RAM and you'll most likely never have to worry about it or any ETW expansion packs.

Thanks for your replies. I am looking to cap spending at 1200 or so (which I know isnt going to get the biggest and baddest). I live in Virginia Beach, VA and in terms of building the computer by parts or getting one whole, I am open to both. I assume most people will say you need at least 1500 to get a comp to play Empire on the highest setting. I agree with you Hollaback about waiting til the full version comes out, but considering how much I loved RTW and M2TW I dont know if I can manage to wait till after the game to get a computer and play it. Like most of you, i have been salivating since original buzz came out for the game.

(I am leaning towards building it by parts since I already have a computer at home that I can use some scraps from like the case, ram, power converter box, cables, and my CDrom while old seems to be working fine - i also will reuse my monitor)

I guess you will have to decide whether to run XP or Vista. XP will be cheaper to buy (unless you get either for free... somehow...) and uses less RAM so you have more to spare to run ETW (min specs for XP and 1GB RAM but 2GB for Vista). On the other hand we don't yet know how well optimised the game will be for different gfx cards with XP and Vista. Possibly Vista will run it much better for a given card due to the optimisation that might really on some Vista trick that XP doesn't support. This may mean that what you save on the gfx card makes up for the money you spend on RAM.

It's all speculation though at this point of course. As other have said, maybe your best bet will be to go for a fast dual-core CPU, a mobo that can handle it, 2-3GB of RAM then the best gfx card you can buy with the money left over in your budget.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Admittedly, I can't help, but on a good side. I bought a computer a year ago for £1000 and it is able to run the Demo on ultra high without any flaws. So you should be able to get a good machine if you build it yourself (like I did) or using a good supplier.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

My new machine cost £800 (with a widescreen monitor) and can run the game on ultra-high. If you bought the parts and built it yourself you could build quite a good machine for less than 1200.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As an added note, get 4gigs of RAM at least. You can get very good quality for $40, which is nothing in terms of your budget.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

You could go for a barebones system and add components, sort of half way between buying one and building one. The latest advice on cutting edge graphics cards seems to be "wait six months", but you can take a look here for ideas: http://internetgames.about.com/od/ha...videocards.htm

I won't go so far as to suggest particular items as you may want to mix and match in line with your budget and availability.
    But as general guideline I'd recommend a good dual core CPU over a quad core. XP OS and a mid range nvidia GPU (driver stability advantage over ATI) and don't be stingy on the RAM. 4 gig is more then sufficient but get the fastest your budget allows for. Get a good mid range motherboard but don't opt for an onboard sound card unless you really must.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

I have just got a new one for around 1300 pounds, so you can get reasonable enough packages for lowish prices these days.

Mine has (or it will when it arrives) 6GB RAM, Intel i7 920, 1GB Video Card and 1TB of memory and has cost a reasonable price, try going somewhere you can customise your options, I've found they tend to work out cheaper and have the added bonus that you can choose what you want to have.

Only tip I have is, get Vista 64-Bit purely because you can then add more to it and have it work.

Try posting in the Hardware forum here, Lemur helped me out greatly.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Thanks for everyone's advice. I ended up getting:

• Total Processor Support: 1
    • Processor: 1 x AMD Opteron 1218 Dual Core 2.6GHz
    • Processor Technology: AMD PowerNow! Technology
    • Bus Speed: 1000MHz
    • Chipset: AMD 690G
    • Standard Memory: 2GB
    • Maximum Memory: 4GB
    • Memory Technology: DDR2 SDRAM
    • Memory Standard: DDR2-667/PC2-5300
    • Hard Drive: 1 x 160GB Serial ATA/300 7200 rpm
    • Optical Drive: DVD-Writer (Double-layer) - DVD-RAM/±R/±RW (Serial ATA)
    • Controller: Quad-channel Serial ATA/300 PCI Integrated RAID Controller supporting 0, 1 RAID Level
    • Graphics Controller: nVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 256MB DDR2 SDRAM PCI Express x16
    • Network: Broadcom Netxtreme 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet IEEE 802.3ab PCI Express x1 Integrated
    • Ports: 1 x 59-pin DMS-59 Display
    • Operating System: Windows Vista Business
    • Color: Alloy Metallic
    • Case Style: Convertible Mini-tower
    • Dimensions: 17.7" Height x 6.6" Width x 17.9" Depth, 17.7" Height x 6.6" Width x 17.9" Depth
    ( Do you guys think this will run the game pretty well??)
    It was pretty cost effective (well under 1000 bucks). + When I upgrade to windows 7 in september I will add some more ram, up the sound card, and then put in a step up graphics card to a 512 one and they should have come down in price by then.

I should get this on the 3rd and get the game on the 4th... my wife is going to kill me when i dissapear for the first few weeks at night to my 'home office' to play Empire.

Default AW: Re: Any recommendations for next comp to run Empire on

Hmm, the Quadro is great if you´re doing CAD, but Empire will probably run only on minimum settings if at all.

ouch, well i hope it can at least play it without crashing.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I ended up getting:

• Total Processor Support: 1
    • Processor: 1 x AMD Opteron 1218 Dual Core 2.6GHz
    • Processor Technology: AMD PowerNow! Technology
    • Bus Speed: 1000MHz
    • Chipset: AMD 690G
    • Standard Memory: 2GB
    • Maximum Memory: 4GB
    • Memory Technology: DDR2 SDRAM
    • Memory Standard: DDR2-667/PC2-5300
    • Hard Drive: 1 x 160GB Serial ATA/300 7200 rpm
    • Optical Drive: DVD-Writer (Double-layer) - DVD-RAM/±R/±RW (Serial ATA)
    • Controller: Quad-channel Serial ATA/300 PCI Integrated RAID Controller supporting 0, 1 RAID Level
    • Network: Broadcom Netxtreme 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet IEEE 802.3ab PCI Express x1 Integrated
    • Ports: 1 x 59-pin DMS-59 Display
    • Operating System: Windows Vista Business
    • Color: Alloy Metallic
    • Case Style: Convertible Mini-tower
    • Dimensions: 17.7" Height x 6.6" Width x 17.9" Depth, 17.7" Height x 6.6" Width x 17.9" Depth
    It was pretty cost effective (well under 1000 bucks). + When I upgrade to windows 7 in september I will add some more ram, up the sound card, and then put in a step up graphics card to a 512 one and they should have come down in price by then.

I should get this on the 3rd and get the game on the 4th... my wife is going to kill me when i dissapear for the first few weeks at night to my 'home office' to play Empire.
    Under 1000 bucks? How much "under 1000 bucks"? And what are bucks? You mean US dollars?

Excuse me Jerome, but i wouldn't buy it. You buy a new system and it is outdated on the first day and it is not even cheap.

For 299,00 EUR you get here a E7400 Dual Core, 320 GB Harddrive, 2 GB RAM, Asus P5 MB, DVD-Writer and Gforce 7100 (not the best graphics card for sure). And if you change the graphics card to a 9600 GT (90,00 EUR) you'll get a good system for "Homeoffice" and ETW (will do it on "high" i guess). And this for roundabout 400,00 EUR -> 520,00 $?
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Avatar made by Durango Signature made by 777Ares777 and proudly used by Marten!

Once again, thanks for the advise, but maybe I need to explain something. When I say this computer is less than 1000, for me it is actually free because my company is getting it to replace my last home work computer which crashed.(Company always pays more than they should for computers but they do so because our IT people do a great job) If I made the computer any more 'gaming' oriented, it might start to raise eyebrows by the people paying for it. So what would you recommend I upgrade on it using my own money once I get it? I think the processor should be fine and the 2 Gig of ram is maxed out until I get Windows 7 in september and upgrade the ram to 4. The only thing that really is lagging is the graphics card I beleive(let me know if I am wrong on this). I know I can get the 512 version of the NVidia graphics card for a hundred to two hundred dollars. If I got a better graphics card would this system be ok?

Thnx

Sorry if I sound like a shill for Dell, but if anyone's looking for a new high powered machine and don't want to pay full price, I got my new machine from the Dell Outlet website (http://www.dell.co.uk/outlet - and I think there's an equivalent in the US). It's where they sell all their returns, misorders etc, and while you have to be quick (it's first come, first served, so the best machines might only be on offer for half an hour or so before they're snapped up), you can get some real bargains. My machine cost 1500 incl Vat, and when I priced the machine on the normal Dell site it added up to around three grand. It runs the demo on everything Ultra and max AA etc.

Well I dont know if you're still willing to buy a computer for $1200. But I had recently built a computer for a friend of mine that came out to about 1100 without the monitor. If you'd like the specs I'd be more that happy to send them to you.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Once again, thanks for the advise, but maybe I need to explain something. When I say this computer is less than 1000, for me it is actually free because my company is getting it to replace my last home work computer which crashed.(Company always pays more than they should for computers but they do so because our IT people do a great job) If I made the computer any more 'gaming' oriented, it might start to raise eyebrows by the people paying for it. So what would you recommend I upgrade on it using my own money once I get it? I think the processor should be fine and the 2 Gig of ram is maxed out until I get Windows 7 in september and upgrade the ram to 4. The only thing that really is lagging is the graphics card I beleive(let me know if I am wrong on this). I know I can get the 512 version of the NVidia graphics card for a hundred to two hundred dollars. If I got a better graphics card would this system be ok?

Thnx
    Hmm, from your list above I can´t see what kind of motherboard you have. But if you´re lucky, it comes with a second PCI Express Slot. In this case, if I were you, I´d simply buy another graphics card (from my own money) that is better suited for gaming purposes (a GF 9800 for example).

Thnx
    Now i understand. I had the opportunity to choose my next laptop a while ago. I marked a very fast and expensive one ... the only answer i got from our IT was: "Our network doesn't support COD4" But i finally got it 2 weeks later.

With a better card like the GF 9600 it should run ETW on Medium / High (Customized) fine. I don't think the PSO in this PC will be able to deal with a 9800 or higher. Imho the 9600 is a nice compromise. Don't forget: You need 15 GB (unpacked maybe much more) on your Hard Drive!

Marten
    Last edited by Marten; 02-27-2009 at 18:58.
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Avatar made by Durango Signature made by 777Ares777 and proudly used by Marten!

Is the GF 512 a better option than the Nvidia 512 card? I didnt know if Empire's makers put out which works best with the game?

Sorry what I meant to ask was the Gforce 512 card better than the quadro 512 card.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Moved to the Hardware/Software forum.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Default AW: Any recommendations for next comp to run Empire on

Depends.

The Quadro is optimized for CAD and stuff. This card simply isn´t made for gaming. Look here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd285359.aspx

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you´ll find a list of benchmark results of the Quadro. It shows that the Quadro is even weaker than, for example, a GF 8400 GS when it comes to 3d games. And even a GF 8400 GS would be a terrible choice for a brand new gaming PC by todays´ standards.

Therefore: From a gamer´s perspective, you´ll want a Geforce 9600 or better, like Marten said. All of these cards have at least 512 MB video RAM, some have 1 GB. But the amount of video RAM doesn´t mean a lot by itself. More important are the quality of the GPU (Quadro < GF 8400 GS < GF 9600 < GF9800) and the quality of the video RAM (DDR2 < DDR3 < DDR5).

I've got a Quadro FX 4600 with 768MB and I'm running the demo on all ultra settings, with AA etc up to max. Haven't checked the fps, but it looks perfectly smooth. It runs other 3d games (like Far Cry 2) fine as well.

It comes with a dual quad core Xeon E5420 @ 2.5GHz and 4 gig of ram. I'm not arguing that it's a better card for gaming than the others you've mentioned, just that it seems to run Empire fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridgebadger View Post
    I've got a Quadro FX 4600 with 768MB and I'm running the demo on all ultra settings, with AA etc up to max. Haven't checked the fps, but it looks perfectly smooth. It runs other 3d games (like Far Cry 2) fine as well.

It comes with a dual quad core Xeon E5420 @ 2.5GHz and 4 gig of ram. I'm not arguing that it's a better card for gaming than the others you've mentioned, just that it seems to run Empire fine.
    Alright, but a graphics card that costs easily more than € 1000 should excel in every aspect.

But the OP here has a Quadro NVS 290 that is sold for a modest price of € 120.

Ah yes, but if you see my earlier post, you'll see I got the whole lot from Dell Outlet - so the whole machine cost less than 1,500! :)

I built my own computer with parts from newegg.com

I have an Intel E8400 (3.0GHz) processor and GeForce 8800 GT (512MB) vid. card, and I was able to run the Demo on "Ultra" (I used the auto button) with no problems in frame rate or anything else.
    Marines never die, they just go to hell and re-group.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

What do you guys think of this?

[SPOIL][
    *BASE_PRICE: [+539]
    CAS: Hot !!! Apevia X-Telstar Junior 420W Case w/ Temp Display and Fan Control (G Type Black Color with Side-Window)
    CASUPGRADE: NONE
    CS_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan [+3] (2 x Fans [+3])
    CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 810 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+106]
    CD: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
    CD2: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER [+27] (BLACK COLOR)
    CABLE: None
    FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
    FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
    FREEBIE_RM: None
    FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE (BLACK COLOR)
    FREEBIE_OS: FREE! (Microsoft® Flight Simulator X Deluxe) Game
    GEAR: Logitech Extreme PC Gaming Headset [+14]
    HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+10])
    HDD2: NONE
    IEEE_CARD: NONE
    KEYBOARD: PS2 MULTIMEDIA INTERNET CONTROL KEYBOARD (BLACK COLOR)
    MOUSE: Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (BLACK COLOR)
    MODEM: NONE
    MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor
    MONITOR: 22" TFT Active Matrix LCD Display [+178] (Generic 22inch WSXGA TFT LCD Display)
    MONITOR2: NONE
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M3A78-T AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard [+79]
    MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
    NETWORK: Intel Pro Gigabite 10/100/1000 Network Card [+34]
    OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 [+104] (64-bit Edition)
    PRO_WIRING: None
    PRINTER: None
    PRINTER_CABLE: None
    POWERSUPPLY: STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY
    RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
    SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers
    TEMP: THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER [+12] (BLACK COLOR)
    TVRC: TV Tuner with FM Stereo + Remote Control (watch and record TV on your PC) [+99]
    USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    UPS: (Recommended) OPTI-UPS VS575C 575VA/345W Uninterrupt Power Supply [+46]
    USBHD: NONE
    VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 3850 PCI-E 16X 512MB Video Card [-41] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
    VIDEO2: ATI Radeon HD 3850 PCI-E 16X 512MB Video Card [+90] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)
    VIDEO3: NONE
    VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
    WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card [+19]
    _PRICE: (+1322)
    _view_: detai
    /SPOIL]
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast