i've read through some posts in the forums, and apparently some people have managed to recruit thorakitai for Makedonia. i'm very aware that the Makedonians only have until the thureophoroi for their recruitment pool, and the only other option is either to recruit the elite but relatively small unit of peltastai makedonikoi, or just throw out the javelins and content myself with classical hoplites or hypaspistai (which i don't want to do - i think the javelins help soften up enemies just before they charge my flanks). i generally dislike using elite troops (only exception would be argyraspidai) because of their enormous cost they require in training, upkeep, and retraining, so i go for more 'regular', albeit a little less effective, troops. i got excited because in my last campaign (seleukid), i had thorakitai instead of thureophoroi guarding the flanks of my phalanx, which for obvious reasons, receive fewer casualties per battle, which means less time needed for retraining, which means more ground covered for a campaign (especially against arche seleukeia).

so, my question is this : do the makedones have some sort of thorakitai-type after they get their reforms on the campaign map? i already have the hysteroi pezhetairoi (just so you know, i sent an army to southern italy, captured sicily, taras, rhegion, capua and arpi, added population through the console, upgraded capua and arpi into huge cities, and then gave the two cities back to rome as a peace offering [peace lasted for 1 turn :D]) so maybe there is another reform that is dependent on the year (much like the marian reforms)?

thanks for any replies. :)