Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Anabaseis of the Kings of Makedonia

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

Default Re: AW: The Anabaseis of the Kings of Makedonia

JOY!!! Let there be peace under Makedonian rule!!!

ALL HAIL MAKEDONIA

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: The Anabaseis of the Kings of Makedonia

Good chapter. Good beginning for a powerful empire.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: The Anabaseis of the Kings of Makedonia

Thanks for commenting. The next chapter will cover the Kalabrian War.

Nice work, enjoying this so far. Great pictures!
    "Insipientis est dicere, Non putarvm."

"It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought."
    -Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio Africanvs

Lives: Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio (A Romani AAR)
    Lives: Alkyoneus Argeades (A Makedonian AAR)

Part 3 – The Kalabrian War (263 – 257 BC)

The Second Epeirote War (263 – 259 BC)
    In the same year the Epeirotes signed the final peace treaty, an alliance with the thriving power of Roma was achieved. The belligerent inhabitants of the central Italian city had had their share of problems with the Aiakid ambitions as well. Pyrrhos had campaigned against them, but failed to bring them to his knees at Asculum. The Romans had ambitions in Sicily, and therefore agreed to a peace treaty with the Aiakides. As their efforts on the island proved to be leading nowhere, the Romans shifted their attention to the Greeks in the south of their peninsula again.

In 264 BC, the Makedonian heir to the throne Alkyoneus set sail for Rhodos and captured the island, a cunning deed that brought him the title Νικησας Ροδου (Nikesas Rhodou), but deprived of the Ptolemaic allies, the island had become an easy prey for the Makedones. The treaty with the Pharaoh of Alexandria had brought the Antigonids nominal control over every island in the Aigaion, but to make it reality, Alkyoneus had to go to Kreta and subjugate the inhabitants. At the same time, roughly two years after the First Epeirote War had ended, the Aiakides sent out a fleet with an army to Aitolia. Undoubtedly, their intention was to regain a foothold on mainland Greece. The συνεδριον (Synedrion) of the Aitolians, after a long and heated debate, asked Antigonos for help. They didn’t trust the northerner very much, but feared the Epeirote forces too much to venture the stand on their own.

The Kolossos of Rhodos, visible sign of Makedonian humiliation, was torn down.

The Aitolians were by no means weak. Often had they taken up arms against Makedonia. Nevertheless Antigonos prepared his army once again and marched south, fearing the efforts of the last war could have been made in vain. And indeed, when he arrived in Aitolia, news reached him that the Aiakid forces had abandoned their siege of Thermon and were instead marching towards Ambrakia! Now angered, the King decided that the time had come to teach the Aiakides a lesson once more. North of Ambrakia, the two armies confronted each other. The Epeirotes brought Tarantine horse and Samnite élite infantry to the field and loudly chanted for liberation of their homeland, something Antigonos could not permit to be heard. Not much is left to us from the battle itself, but the losses were quite high, especially the phalanx and the ιππεις θεσσαλικοι (Hippeis Thessalikoi) suffered greatly, but in the end the enemy was expelled from Greek soil.

Tarantine Cavalry near Ambrakia.

The King was content with this achievement and didn’t want to engage in a war in Italia, especially since the Aiakid dynasts were again at war with the Senate of Roma. Contrary to Pyrrhos, Antigonos was a careful diplomat and knew that interference in the Roman sphere of influence could only be detrimental to the new alliance. Furthermore, his loyal Strategos Euchrous of Mytilene was campaigning in Thraikia to bring the lands of the Dardanoi under control, a region directly bordering the Makedonian homeland. As Alkyoneus had just starved out Kydonia, the chief city of the Kretans, word came that the Epeirotes had taken Arpoi, a rural town on the Italian peninsula, and control of Apulia now lay in their hands as well.

Alkyoneus decided to take the war to the Aiakides. Not caring for his father’s policies, he sought further glory and wanted to add a new outpost to the Makedonian Kingdom. With 12,000 Phalangitai, 3,200 well equipped Hoplitai, 4,200 Psiloi and 700 Hippakontistai, he sailed to Kalabria and disembarked at Brentesion at the very edge of the Peninsula. When the Molossian king Alexandros in Taras heard of the invasion, he called for his trusted General Antikras Tiaios and the troops under his command. The Epeirote had 1,000 Hippeis, 4,600 Hoplitai, 3,000 Phalangitai, 1,600 each of Θουρεοφοροι (Thureophoroi) and Peltastai, 2,000 Ligurians and almost 5,000 Bruttian infantry under his command.

When the day of battle had arrived, the armies met each other on a plain a day’s journey east of Taras. Alkyoneus deployed his troops on a slightly rising slope and the Epeirotes attacked: the phalanx at the centre, the Bruttians at the Makedonian right and the Hoplites at the left. The Greek cavalry made a charge but was beaten by the Prince’s own guard. In the meantime, Alexandros and his Strategos circumvented around the right flank and threatened the Makedones from behind. The Hippakontistai countered the attack but were inferior to the heavy Molossian guard, who dealt them heavy casualties. Just in time, Alkyoneus managed to reach the fight, decide it and kill Alexandros. The Epeirotes were broken and turned to flee to Taras, but were cut down mercilessly by the Makedones. More than 22,000 Epeirote casualties stood against only 2,000 Makedonian dead. The victory was so overwhelming that even Antigonos could not deny his son the deserved praise.

Before the battle.

The Bruttians attack the Makedonian right wing.

Cavalry melee.

Alkyoneus' Hetairoi charge the Bruttian infantry.

The next day, Alkyoneus reached Taras. Kalabria was now firmly under Makedonian control, but the populace was unhappy with their new overlords. The city was prosperous despite the ongoing wars, and so the Prince decided to relocate over 70,000 Italiotai to Makedonia to colonise her scorched earth. The final end of the Epeirote state had come. It was said there was still an Aiakid prince in Arpoi, but his loyal retainers kept his existence secret for the moment. The Senate of Roma shifted his attention again to Sicily for a short time, where small skirmishes between Romans and Carthaginians took place. The Italiotai made a proposal: If Roma would grant them protection instead of fighting them, they would obey loyally to Roma, govern themselves in the Roman way, pay tribute and provide troops for the war against the Carthaginians. Since the Senatores thought the Aiakid dynasty to be extinct and the foe defeated, they agreed and made the Italiotai their protectorate, similar to the other socii of Italia.

The First Roman War (259 – 257 BC)
    Alkyoneus knew very well that his hands were tied. Any further pursue of power on the peninsula would lead to a war with Roma, and that was something that neither he nor his father wanted. Antigonos had agreed to the alliance to grant the Kingdom a stable and prosperous future instead of being torn apart by rivalling powers. Nevertheless, Alkyoneus wanted to secure his Italian foothold. The diplomat Quintus Caecilius Metellus was not only a leading figure within Roman nobility, but also at the negotiations with the Italiotai. His premature death would be a severe ordeal for the relations between the Romans and the Italian Greeks.

Excerpt from Quintus Fabius Pictor: Historia Romana, liber XVII:
    “Q. Caecilius Metellus was guest in the house of Antikras Tiaeus, Legatus Legionis Apuliae and former Strategus of the King from Epirus, who had fallen in the great battle of Tarentum. They had just laid down for dinner, when suddenly a servant came into the hall and warned Caecilius not to drink from the Falernian wine that his host had just served him. Outraged, Antikras asked how he would dare to insult him in such a way, but the servant explained that it was the Macedonian Prince Alkyoneus that tried to poison his guest. Having heard that, Antikras demanded the servant to prove his claims. In worry for the future of his people, the servant drank Caecilius’ cup of wine and died immediately. Now convinced by the selfless deed, Caecilius headed for the city and convinced his fellow Senatores of a war against the Macedonians.”

And so came it that in 258 BC, the Romans attacked Taras with a weak force, but failed in their attempt to drive the Makedones into the sea. Antigonos, who was outraged at his son’s imprudence, ordered Alkyoneus back to Greece. The Aitolians had broken the alliance with Makedonia, and the Prince’s army was needed to take care of them. However, Alkyoneus ordered four regiments of militia hoplites to be levied, 6,400 men who were ordered to shield the Makedonian retreat. The next year, the Legatus Legionis Titus Cornelius Scipio attacked Taras with a legion and a large number of allied light troops. The defenders were all but slaughtered, and Taras fell. Immediately afterwards, the Romans sent an envoy to Pella and sued for peace, a proposal that Antigonos gladly agreed to. In 256 BC, the alliance with Roma was finally re-established, albeit against the strong resistance of the gens Caecilii Metelli.

Romans conquering Taras.

So ended the Kalabrian War, which was actually comprised of two. A clash with the powerful Romans was largely avoided, but to the price that western expansion was halted. In the following six decades, no Makedonian soldier would set his foot on Italian soil. From now on, the Basileis of Makedonia would shift their attention towards the north and, first of all, the east.
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 04-02-2009 at 02:16.

Nice chapter.

I see you tore down the Colossus. I thought of doing that in my campaign, but figured what the gods had done was enough (the earthquake). Besides I don't like tearing down buildings I can't rebuild.

I was wondering. This is an old campaign, right? How do you remember what you did and when for something you played so long ago? I have trouble remembering the details of some battles in my AAR that I played a month passed.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Excellent chapter, I actually felt my hair stand on their end when I read about the fate of the Makedonian-controlled polis of Taras (Tarentum, ha!).

Maion
    ~Maion

Great last chapter :)

Glad to hear you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios
    Excellent chapter, I actually felt my hair stand on their end when I read about the fate of the Makedonian-controlled polis of Taras (Tarentum, ha!).
    There will be revenge, my friend. This consciousness surely helps you to bear the unbearable. The Italiotai are the real scum. Becoming Romans for the sole laughable purpose of surviving, ha! Good that true Makedones rule Hellas now.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    I see you tore down the Colossus. I thought of doing that in my campaign, but figured what the gods had done was enough (the earthquake). Besides I don't like tearing down buildings I can't rebuild.
    I don't like either, but what had to be done, had to be done.

I was wondering. This is an old campaign, right? How do you remember what you did and when for something you played so long ago? I have trouble remembering the details of some battles in my AAR that I played a month passed.
    Well, at first I make a note for every battle and what I did with the town in case of a conquest (population displaced or enslaved / massacred, usually followed by the reason, for example was Lilybaion reacently sacked because the inhabitants threw stones on the Makedones (Apeleutheroi from the walls)). Then I take screenshots pre-battle and post-battle and mostly midst-battle as well, and also of important buildings and events. Then, when I'm really clueless what to do, I go through the notes and screenshots and write down what happened in that particular year. Much much later, I print this and write my chapter. I like the historical overview I get this way. I can decide which battle is important or not and what leads to which.

Nice chapter
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Nice!

Thanks.

I have added a Table of Content to my post #1, so that you can click there on the respective chapters and directly jump in medias res.

The next chapter will cover the late period of Antigonos Gonatas' rule and the campaigns in Thraikia.

Part 4 – Hegemony (256 – 246 BC)

In 257 BC, Alkyoneus had sailed to Aitolia and put the city of Thermon under siege. His army’s morale was low. The soldiers felt that the retreat from Italia was dishonouring. They didn’t understand why Alkyoneus, who had won such a tremendous victory with them, now simply withdrew from Italia. If they were able to crash the army of the mighty King of the Aiakides, why should they run away from those barbarian Romaioi? To make it worse, the Aitolians blocked the mountain passes in Alkyoneus’ back, all supply had to be shipped from Epidamnos. When autumn hit, another bad news reached the army: the Makedonian fleet was sunk by pirates! Mutiny was in the air. The Prince had to react, and so he ordered to storm the city. The walls were easily torn down, and immediately the Makedones flooded into the city. Massacre ensued, and out of the eleven thousand Aitolians who defended the polis, not a single one survived. Although the Makedones had lost almost three thousand, the victory tasted sweet and gave the soldiers back their self-confidence – and the belief in their leader.

Tarantine Cavalry at Thermon.

The Makedones brake through.

Alkyoneus enters the city.

The Thraikian Conquests
    Already some years earlier, when the Prince campaigned in Megale Hellas, the King’s loyal Strategos Euchrous of Mytilene had led a campaign against the Dardanoi that inhabited the north of Makedonia. Often had they committed raids into the Kingdom, and frequently alongside other Thraikian people. But now the tides of war had changed: Makedonia was now at peace with the mighty Confederacy of the Getai, and both sides had an interest to grow it into an alliance. The Thraikians on the southern side of the great river had fallen between two stools.

The campaigns of Alkyoneus, Euchrous and Perseus 256 - 246 BC.

Having taken Serdike, the chief city of the Dardanoi, Euchrous led a campaign against the Keltoi, who called themselves Odrysai and lived to the east of the Dardanoi, and laid siege to their capital Tylis. When winter approached, the army was beginning to run low on supplies. The sparsely populated country didn’t reward the foraging parties of the Makedones much food, and a supply train could not be maintained through the wilderness. Euchrous decided that Tylis had to be taken before the first snow would fall and let the settlement be stormed. The Odrysai, themselves for the greater part foreigners in their country, fought bravely, but in the end could not hinder the Makedones on their way to victory. Unlike the country of the Dardanoi, which was incorporated into the Makedonian homeland, the Odrysai were allowed to continue their existence as a state. Euchrous appointed a particularly willing man of the local aristocracy King of the Odrysai – a decision right after King Antigonos’ own taste. In the future, the Odrysai would send their most fearsome and capable warriors to the kings of Makedonia and fight decisive battles in all parts of the known world.

Makedones at Serdike.

Hoplites hold their ground against the Thraikians.

Toxotai Kretikoi at Tylis.

Thraikian Riders attack the phalanx.

When Alkyoneus left Thermon, he also appointed a local noble to preside over the Aitolian League. But unlike the Odrysai, the Aitolians were forced into the Συμμαχια Ελληνων (Symmachia Hellenon, the Hellenic League), an alliance created by Antigonos. The King believed that it was best to leave the government of subjugated peoples – especially if they were civilised like the Greeks – to these. Furthermore, it brought the advantage of not having to establish a Makedonian administration. On the other hand, the garrison that was left in Thermon was prone to create an anti-Makedonian atmosphere among the populace. Nevertheless, the Hellenic League seemed like the perfect way to force the Greeks under Makedonian sway without having to invest too much in the country, especially since the Kingdom’s coffers were empty. Veterans of Alkyoneus’ recent campaigns found a new home in κατοικιαι (Katoikiai), ready to draw their sword any time when needed and cut down everybody who would dare to call for Aitolia’s liberty.

The next logical steps in Antigonos’ policy of expansion lay on opposite sides of the Balkan peninsula: to the west, the farther Illyria, and to the east, Lower Thraikia and the city that controlled the Thraikian Bosphoros: Byzantion. Euchrous marched west with his 26,000 men, among these almost 6,000 Illyrians and 3,000 τοξοται κρητικοι (Toxotai Kretikoi), the archers of great renown from the island of Krete. Alkyoneus marched east and, after replenishing his troops in Makedonia, laid siege to the famous polis of Byzantion. Both Strategoi completed their tasks in 252 BC after having starved out the respective populations. Byzantion was too important to allow it self governance, since Makedonia and Greece as a whole depended greatly on the grain that used to be shipped through the narrows that were controlled by the city. Illyria, on the other hand, was poor and primitive. The locals could not be trusted to set up the extensive mining business that the King planned to run. For these reasons Satraps were appointed for Lower Thraikia and Illyria, trusted members of the Royal Family.

Aitolian Problems, the Death of a Prince and the Rise of Another
    Alkyoneus had a younger brother called Demetrios, and Antigonos loved him dearly, especially since Alkyoneus disappointed the father in Italia. Demetrios was the first prince of the Royal House of the Argeades who underwent the famous αγωγη (Agoge, the Upbringing) of Sparte. Krateros, Antigonos brother who had already passed in 259 BC, had not slaughtered all of the Spartans. There were still men of the original population left that had sworn loyalty to the Argeades and promised to teach and instruct every Makedonian prince who wished so in the Spartan way of life and combat. It is easy to imagine that no prince at all wished to do so, but over the time it became a tradition to send the young princes to Sparte. The Agoge later became enriched with studies at an Akademia, and famous scholars from all over the Greek world came to Lakonia for teaching. Less and less harsh became the instructions, and more and more emphasis was put on the more academic virtues, but until then it was still a long way by 256 BC. That year, Demetrios was the first Makedonian prince to complete the traditional Spartan Agoge.

After staying some years in Athenai for further studies at the famous Akademia, the young prince was entrusted with the difficult task of commanding the garrison of Thermon. To be the garrison commander in a garrisoned state meant to be the unofficial ruler of the state, since the local, official ruler had to carefully ask the garrison commander, as the official representative of the King of Makedonia, what wishes the King in Pella might have. The garrison in Thermon only consisted of a regiment (roughly 1,600 men) of militia hoplites. Demetrios had just begun to grow into his new task when a man called Thalysios of Ithaka assembled a force of brigands and attacked the city. To his men, criminals mostly, he talked of loot and riches, but to the populace he talked of liberation from Makedonian yoke. He had 5,800 men under his command, a thousand Greek riders amongst them. When he attacked, Demetrios ordered his Hoplitai to block the road to the agora of the city. They killed almost 4,000, but in the end they were overwhelmed by the great odds. Demetrios fell as the last of his men on the agora, and Thalysios proclaimed himself King of Aitolia.

The Makedonian garrison fights vigorously.

Demetrios, surrounded by the foe.

Upon hearing the news, Antigonos fell into an unprecedented rage. Usually known for his calm character, his family and underlings feared for the King’s health. Demetrios had to be avenged, and the King wanted his grandson Perseus to venture the honourable deed. Perseus had underwent the same Agoge as Demetrios had, and Perseus too studied at the Akademia at Athenai, a good deal of time alongside Demetrios who was only a few years older. When news reached him of his uncle’s death, he was not only sad but at the same time felt that the fate of being the Κλερονομος Βασιλειου (Kleronomos Basileiou, the inheritor to kingship) was now inevitable. After a brief period of shock, Perseus was eager to recommend himself as a great leader, and headed for Thermon. With 5,000 men under his banner, the odds were now in favour of the Makedones. After a brief siege, Perseus entered the city and slaughtered the brigands. Thalysios was killed. His head was cut off and first skewered onto a δορυ (Dory, an infantry spear) and showed publicly in Thermon, then sent to Pella.

Encouraged by Thalysios’ venture, a man called Philisstes had gathered men himself and controlled the Pindos Range between Aitolia and Epeiros. With 4,000 militia hoplites, 1,200 Sphendonetai and 1,000 Illyrian Riders, Perseus marched up the mountain range. Philisstes awaited him, together with almost ten thousand brigands who wore the simple, but sturdy gear of militia hoplites. Instinctively, Perseus lined up his soldiers on an open slope. Philisstes, who had many experiences as a robber, but none as a general, ordered his men to charge the Makedonian line. Perseus’ slingers started their hail of lead, and a great deal of Philisstes’ men lay dead on the ground before they even reached the Makedonian line. Though having numerical superiority on their side, the brigands had to fight uphill and were already tired and lost morale quickly. Perseus and the Illyrians circled around the flanks of his line and charged in at the back of the robbers. That was the moment the battle was won. Perseus shouted the order to slaughter anybody moving, and his soldiers obeyed their lord. Soon the bodies of 9,500 men lay scattered about the hillside. All at once, Perseus had made himself a name as a great general, to the extent that some made fun of him, calling him Αλεξανδρος Βεληνεκους Πινδου – “Alexandros of the Pindos Range”.

The Makedones line up at the hillside.

The brigands charge Perseus' line.

The line is held.

The battle is won.

Perseus now had tasted the sweetness of victory and fame. In 249 BC, Euchrous of Mytilene died in Dalminion, having only half completed the works on the new Makedonian administration. Perseus rode north and, with Antigonos’ consent, took over the command of Euchrous’ forces. With over thirty thousand, among them 1,700 horse, the largest Makedonian army in the reign of Antigonos, Perseus marched northward and put Singidunum under siege, the chief city of the Celtic Skordiskoi, situated at the confluence of Istros and Savus. When scouts reported that the defenders were already weakened by frequent attacks by forces of the Getai, Perseus ordered the oppidum to be stormed. The Skordiskoi fought bravely, and each thousand Phalangitai and Illyrian Thureophoroi fell, but at the end, the Prince obtained another great victory. The Skordiskoi were granted to keep their state institutions, and an influential nobleman was chosen to start a new Skordiskian dynasty in a strong alliance with Makedonia. Lesser tribes of the Skordiskoi even had their home turf on the northern shores of the great river, and Perseus was the first Makedon ever to set foot on these lands.

The Makedones fight Skordiskian nobles in Singidunum.

Fire rains upon the Skordiskoi.

Bastarnoi cut down the Skordiskoi.

But there was still a Thraikian region left that was neither part of the dominion of the Getai nor of that of the Makedones: Upper Thraikia, the land that extended between the Haimos Mountains and the Istros, inhabited by the fearsome Triballoi. With that region under control, Perseus would set up the great river as a border between the world of the Greeks and that of the Getai, with the exception of the region around the mouth of the river that was already subject to the Getic king. Two years after the conquest of Singidunum, Perseus marched his army east and took Naissos, the capital of the Triballoi by force and repeated what had already proved to be an effective strategy. The Triballoi and the other tribes became a kingdom allied to Makedonia.

Mikra Asia: New Horizons
    Around 250 BC, Antigonos had reached the age of 70 and was by every means an old man. The death of his son had struck him severely, and although one of his mistresses gave birth to another son, Leon, he would never recover from the loss of Demetrios. The country though had recovered much, although great parts of Makedonia were still depopulated. As soon as Byzantion was taken, a royal road was ordered to be build, from the city straight along the coast to Pella, and even further to Ambrakia were a naval harbour was to be built, almost as great as the giant shipyards in Rhodos, necessary to construct the vessels needed to guarantee θαλασσοκρατια (Thalassokratia, the reign over the seas), at least for the Aigaion.

Around the same time, the problems of the Seleukid allies in the region increased. Having been at war with the Ptolemaioi for a long time, the Seleukids had problems to hold all their possessions in the far west of their empire. The Bithynioi had been forced under the Basileus’ yoke again recently, but the troops needed to keep the inhabitants obeying were needed to ward off the troops of the Pharaoh. Ennomos of Pergamon was a persistent threat to the Seleukides’ western holdings around Sardis. Realising this, King Antigonos sent an envoy to King Antiochos. His treasury was bursting, and so he gave Antiochos 500 Talents of silver [30,000 Mnai] and further promised to release the Seleukides from the burden to keep Bithynia and the Kingdom of Pergamon in check: the territories would be administered from Pella, not from Seleukeia any more. Antiochos was not totally content with this proposal since it meant he had to give up claims on those two satrapies for the time being. But after all, the decision was a fairly easy one. The war against Ptolemaios was not going to his pleasure. Syria was in Ptolemaic hands since more than a decade and a half. In fact, Antiochos thought the proposal a good opportunity to tie Antigonos stronger to him and even to lure him back into the war with the Ptolemaioi. For the moment, he accepted the treaty.

And so, the first possession in Asia came into the hands of the Makedones. Alkyoneus crossed the Bosphoros and started to set up Makedonian administration for Bithynia. Antigonos in Pella ordered twelve thousand πεζεταιροι (Pezhetairoi) to be levied. The first time since anybody could remember, the Makedonian phalanx should be made up of more than humble φαλαγγιται δευτεροι (Phalangitai Deuteroi), equipped with a strong Thraikian cap and a bronze shield. The deepened mining operations in Makedonia easily provided the funds for the new army. Alkyoneus, with more than 24,000 foot and 4,000 horse, headed for Pergamon and put Ennomos’ residence under siege.

But at home in Pella, dark clouds were gathering. Antigonos’ health state worsened every day. His mental functions were suffering. The King’s increasing religiosity was beginning to have an influence on his decisions. He ordered a temple to Zeus to be built in Pella, claiming to have witnessed a sign from the god in his sleep. In winter, the old King suffered from pneumonia. One day in 246 BC, the 38th year of his reign, he did not wake up again. Antigonos Επανιδρυτης [1] was dead.

[1] Epanidrytes, the Re-founder.

Pella in 246 BC, at the death of Antigonos II. Epanidrytes.
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 04-02-2009 at 02:12.

What a great chapter! I love the way you work the greek in with the rest. It's not too much but just enough to give it that something extra. I love the way that Greek font looks as well. It makes me want to learn to read and write it. You really have the names of everything down as well. I try but it is difficult for me to use the proper words for everything. I usually end up saying king instead of Basileu, Aegean instead of Aigeoi (or whatever it is).

I can't believe Demetrios died in such an inglorious way, killed in battle yes, but by a pitiful band of rebel scum. Excellent chapter Centurio!

NOOOOO!!! Demetrios!!!

At least your Antigonos II lived longer than mine.

A good read. Time to head eastward!

Excellent read, a little sad to see Demetrios die. The pic showing the moment before his death has a certain element that makes it looks very dramatic, and at the same time epic as hell. So a balloon for that:

Maion
    ~Maion

Default AW: Re: The Anabaseis of the Kings of Makedonia

Quote Originally Posted by Africanvs View Post
    What a great chapter! I love the way you work the greek in with the rest. It's not too much but just enough to give it that something extra. I love the way that Greek font looks as well. It makes me want to learn to read and write it. You really have the names of everything down as well. I try but it is difficult for me to use the proper words for everything. I usually end up saying king instead of Basileu, Aegean instead of Aigeoi (or whatever it is).

I can't believe Demetrios died in such an inglorious way, killed in battle yes, but by a pitiful band of rebel scum. Excellent chapter Centurio!
    Thank you very much. Yes, I think I have found a good way of adding a little flavour to it, but not inundating or disrupting the text too much. But Maion is the one who provides me with the correct words!

NOOOOO!!! Demetrios!!!

At least your Antigonos II lived longer than mine.

A good read. Time to head eastward!
    Thank you too. No Megas Demetrios... no Demetreia... no Demetrids...

Back in 0.81 I had Alkyoneus killed in Naissos. So Demetrios became King. I didn't like him very much, he had some pretty dark traits. Perseus was a complete moron that could not be trusted to do anything more than administering Thermon... But in the current campaign, I have been incredibly lucky (besides Demetrios and Alexandros, of course). Perseus is a pretty good general, and he will have a son called Antiochos which will be an even better general...

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios
    Excellent read, a little sad to see Demetrios die. The pic showing the moment before his death has a certain element that makes it looks very dramatic, and at the same time epic as hell. So a balloon for that:

Maion
    Thank you too.

Have a balloon for your translations:
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 04-02-2009 at 17:40.

Default Re: AW: Re: The Anabaseis of the Kings of Makedonia

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus View Post
    Thank you too. No Megas Demetrios... no Demetreia... no Demetrids...

Back in 0.81 I had Alkyoneus killed in Naissos. So Demetrios became King. I didn't like him very much, he had some pretty dark traits. Perseus was a complete moron that could not be trusted to do anything more than administering Thermon... But in the current campaign, I have been incredibly lucky (besides Demetrios and Alexandros, of course). Perseus is a pretty good general, and he will have a son called Antiochos which will be an even better general...
    In my AAR campaign Megas Demetrios II surpassed even Megas Alexandros III because his empire stood. I grew so attached to him that it is a shame to see him die even if it is completely different character (different starting traits). Too bad after he died, his line was filled with failures.

Since Alexandros died off in your campaign too, there will be no family line that leads to my Pyrrhic Dynasty that replace the Demetriids.

In my AAR campaign Perseus was average but did a couple important acts. His first act was to push the border up to the Istros (Danube), so I found it interesting that you did the same with him in your AAR. Perseus was also the one who took away southern Hellas' autonomy (Type4s -> Type2s). Neither he nor his brother had any sons so the line of Alkyoneus ended early. It will be interesting to see where the line of Alyoneus takes Makedonia in your AAR!

Default AW: Re: AW: Re: The Anabaseis of the Kings of Makedonia

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    In my AAR campaign Megas Demetrios II surpassed even Megas Alexandros III because his empire stood.
    That's Antiochos in my campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    Perseus was also the one who took away southern Hellas' autonomy (Type4s -> Type2s).
    Exactly the same! 219 - 217 there was a rebellion, and Perseus ordered Satrapies to be installed there (though he didn't put down the rebellion personally).

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus View Post
    Thank you too.

Have a balloon for your translations:
    Thanks dude! I HAS BALLOOON!

Maion
    ~Maion

Brilliant read. Poor Demetrios, he was a good guy.

This is really, really good stuff, I hope to see more of it. Let's compare our Anabaseis!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Default AW: Re: AW: Re: The Anabaseis of the Kings of Makedonia

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Brilliant read. Poor Demetrios, he was a good guy.

This is really, really good stuff, I hope to see more of it. Let's compare our Anabaseis!
    Haha, thank you very much!

Expect the next chapter for the weekend. It will cover Alkyoneus' initial time as Basileus and will feature the most elaborate map ever made by man (at least for an AAR).

Anabasis Alkyoneos (246 – 230 BC)

Introduction – A Momentous Treaty

In the winter of 246 BC, Alkyoneus was campaigning in Mysia. He had set up camp within sight of the palace of Pergamon, the residence of the thriving Attalid rulers of the old and beautiful polis, when one day a messenger arrived. The following passage gives a good account on how it most likely happened, although the author might have exaggerated a bit.

Excerpt from Phylarchos of Athenai: Historiai, Book 12:
    (16) The brave but unhappy Alkyoneus was in a melancholic mood when he laid siege to Pergamon. He felt this not to be his war. After all wasn’t it Antiochos who wanted to see the polis fall? On behalf of his old father, whom he hoped to follow soon on the throne in Pella, he fought this war instead of fighting his own. Against the polis of the twin wolves he wanted to march, that was his urge and that was what burnt in his heart. (17) Then one cold day a messenger arrived: “What dost thou want, herald?” the Prince asked. “Ο Βασιλευ,” responded he. “It is your father that hath died. I bow before you, Basileus Makedonias, and present you the compliments of the noble Synedrioi of Lower and Upper Makedonia.” (18) Upon hearing the news, Alkyoneus’ officers gathered at the King’s tent. “All hail to the Basileus! All hail Makedonia!” shouted they, and upon hearing the shouting, the Pezhetairoi and all the other soldiers gathered at the camp’s agora. Alkyoneus left his tent and mounted a wooden stand to address his troops: “Φιλοι! Εταιροι! Πολεμισται! [1] I stand before you as your Basileus. My father Antigonos hath died, and a greater Herakles hath yet to follow. But I shall continue my father’s work. Tomorrow, with daylight’s advent, we will storm the city of the Attalides!” And the soldiers greeted their king’s bravery with cheering and chanting, not knowing how many lives the day would cost.

[1] Friends! Companions! Warriors!
    In traditional Makedonia, the question of royal succession was often solved with violence, and not seldom with civil war. The Diadochoi serve as a prime example. Alkyoneus knew this too, and his decision to storm Pergamon is best understood bearing this in mind. From a pure military point of view, his decision is bravado at best, but politically, it makes perfect sense. Underlining his newly gained kingship with a victory, and coming home ahead of twenty thousand loyal soldiers would leave no room for questions about Antigonos’ succession. However, the King’s decision would cost 5,000 Greeks and Makedones their lives, among them 3,000 Pezhetairoi at the least.

Alkyoneus’ plan was it to attack the city from two sides. One half of the Pezhetairoi, assisted by Thureophoroi, would attack the northern gate, whereas the other half would attack the western gate above the sea, within line of sight to the Makedonian island-stronghold of Lesbos. They were supported by ιππεις ταραντινοι (Hippeis Tarantinoi) with their javelins and Hoplitai. The Makedones at the northern gate were confronted by militia hoplites and εκδρομοι οπλιται (Ekdromoi Hoplitai). The ones at the western gate also had to fight these light hoplites, but additionally Thraikioi Peltastai that Ennomos had hired. The Thraikioi, as mercenaries in general, did not have to expect any mercy from the victors and fought determined. So many Pezhetairoi, who could only use their swords against the falxes, were killed, that Alkyoneus sent the Greek Hoplites in. Only through overwhelming odds did they manage to win against the Thraikioi.

The Greek Hoplites march unto Pergamon, the Makedonian fleet in the background.

The Tarantine Cavalry supports the assault with javelins.

In the north, the hoplites are no match for the Makedones.

At the western gate, the Pergamenoi put up fierce resistance.

However, it should get even worse when the Makedones had once overcome the initial resistance at the gates and advanced into the streets. Mercenary Phalangitai and Ennomos’ experienced personal cavalry managed to attack the phalanx at their vulnerable flanks and kill many. Eventually Ennomos’ horse was stabbed. The τυραννος (tyrannos, the tyrant) fell to the ground, where a Makedon took care of him and cut off his head. By midday, the battle was over. Seven thousand Makedones and Greeks were laying in the streets of Pergamon, and five thousand would not recover from their wounds. Alkyoneus had his triumph.

The phalanx advances towards the agora.

Many good Makedones meet their ancestors this day.

As soon as the favourable winds of spring blew, Alkyoneus set sail for Thessalonike, accompanied by a good deal of his army. Cheered by the masses, they marched into the Makedonian capital Pella. All members of the Argeades and all the nobles from all parts of the country gathered and honoured Alkyoneus. The last respects were paid to Antigonos, whose cremated remains rested in a golden λαρναξ (larnax, a small sarcophagus) proudly bearing the Vergina Sun. Then he was brought to Aigai, the old capital of Makedonia, most holy site and spiritual centre of the country, where he was finally buried in a traditional Makedonian tumulus, just beside Philippos’ one. Back in Pella, the Κοινον Μακεδονων (Koinon Makedonon, the general assembly) was held and Alkyoneus formally acclaimed as Basileus Makedonias.

Though Phylarchos states that Alkyoneus heart longed for revenge against the Romans, the historical evidence can neither support nor deny this. The assembly had not yet parted again when an envoy of Antiochos reached Pella. They too honoured the new King, but now urged for more direct support against Ptolemaios. Alkyoneus lamely responded that he would need a land border with the holdings of the Pharaoh in Asia to act effectively. The Seleukides instead offered free access to Lydia. Phrygia was unfortunately under the control of the Kingdom of Pontos that had increased his might at the expense of Antiochos and the Galatians. Their standing army threatened the lands of the Seleukides from the north. Alkyoneus knew this well and offered his allies a deal: he would go to war against Ptolemaios and against the Pontikoi and relieve Antiochos from the pressure of two fronts. Additionally, he would support him with more than 800 Talents of silver [50,000 Mnai or 21 tons]. In return, the Seleukides would cede Lydia and its capital Sardis to the Antigonids. Further, every territory acquired by the Makedones would stay in their hands – nothing would be returned to Antiochos.

It is not known to us what the King in Seleukeia actually thought of that proposal, whether he really accepted it, or whether he planned to strike back once the tides of war would have turned in his favour once more. One could well see Alkyoneus’ proposal as blackmailing, but in the end Antiochos accepted the proposal. His coffers were empty. His troops were fighting Parthoi, Pontikoi and Ptolemaioi alike, whereas the satrapies on the far banks of the Oxos river were either separating or being overrun by steppe peoples. After a brief year in Makedonia, Alkyoneus returned to Mikra Asia with fresh troops and set up administration for Lydia as a Makedonian satrapy.

A map of the Central Mediterranean in 244 BC. Capital letters indicate independant subjects. B. = Basileion (Kingdom).

In the end of 244 BC, Alkyoneus had already recruited two ταξεις (taxeis, regiments) of militia hoplites in the city. Additionally, twelve thousand former slaves and other urban rabble were at his disposal. They were useful in keeping the population in check and should soon be replaced by real soldiers. The King’s son and inheritor Perseus was only a week’s journey north with fresh forces, among them γαλαθραικες (Galathraikes) and κελτοελληνικοι οπλιται (Keltohellenikoi Hoplitai), recruited amongst the recently subdued peoples of eastern Thraikia. The allied general Alexandros Syriakos, the former Seleukid governor of Sardis, had set up camp just a few miles south of the city – with 6,600 Gallic and Hellenic mercenaries under his command – when he was attacked by a 25,000 strong army of the Ptolemaioi.

The enemy had recognised the good opportunity. His troops consisted of more than 17,000 Phalangitai, κληρουχοι (Klerouchoi) mostly, but also Pezhetairoi and the élite κληρουχικων αγημα (Klerouchikon Agema). They were supplemented by Galatian mercenaries, Toxotai and troops native to Karia which were called Uazali. Alkyoneus was first reluctant to enter the fight, since his troops were so humble, but he surely couldn’t afford not to. The urban rabble occupied the Egyptian élite for a while, whereas Alkyoneus and his σωματοφυλακες (Somatophylakes, the bodyguards) proved their bravery and managed to kill many of the lower ranked enemies. He brought more than 15,000 to the field, but only 4,000 returned to Sardis. From Alexandros’ 6,500, few more than 500 survived. But although the Ptolemaioi could hold the field and win the battle, in truth they were the losers. Only 13,000 troops were left, and laying siege to Sardis was rendered impossible. So began the Ptolemaic War, and it should last for 29 years.

Alkyoneus charges the Karians near Sardis.

The Uazali are given no quarter.

Alkyoneus and Alexandros fight Galatian mercenaries from two sides.
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 04-13-2009 at 01:41.

Beautiful chapter! I really liked the map too

Maion
    ~Maion

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

one glimpse at the map...ALL HAIL MAKEDONIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Nice chapter. That's an amazing map.
    A new king but how long will he rule? He doesn't seem to be THE main character...

Thank you for commenting, my most thruthful followers!

I worked myself into GIMP specifically to be able to create maps like that.

Phylarchos of Athenai and also Q. Fabius Pictor are both historical persons. I just hope they don't bother me "abusing" them for my AAR.

Yes, Alkyoneus is not really standing out. How did you know?

Great update! What a beautiful map.
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

Ever seen this? I didn't know even that it existed!

Warning, you can see the world in 168 BC below.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That's my Basileus there btw.
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 04-15-2009 at 17:16.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Very cool aar. Your mans are very interesting. Its like reading a history book with pictures. (my favorite type of books). Oh, and no I have never seen that. Very cool find.

4x
    1x

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast