Thread: Have several questions

Question Have several questions

1. Is there a cheat (via console code) to force Augustan reforms?
    2. I'm confused by the numerous factions...which faction is "Persia" (Darius, Xerxes, etc. al)?
    3. Which faction fields Spartiatai Hoplitai when playing a single player campaign?

Thanks in advance for replies.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Default Re: Have several questions

1. No there isn't
    2. The game starts in 272 BC. When Alexander the Great died in 323 BC he already had conquered Persia, so this faction does not exist in the form you seek. The Arche Seleukeia, who is one of Alexanders Successor-States, covers a great part of the former persian empire.
    3. The Koinon Hellenon. I'm not sure, if the Makedonians and Epeirotes also can field Spartiatai Hoplitai after having conquered Sparta and installed a type IV governement.
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

No, only the KH has elite hoplites of anywhere. Syracusans, Massalians, Spartans are exclusive.

Persia is long gone by the time of the mod, but Hayasdan arguably has the most links to it. But you're a beginner, and Hayasdan is ridiculously hard, so don't try it. AS is also pretty hard for a beginner. Actually, you shouldn't be fighting Horse Archers anyways, so stick with Rome or Carthage for now.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

isn't Pahlava's aims to rebuild something of the eastern parthian empire? doesn't that kinda qualify? hmmm....probably not. i always considered pahlava and hayasdan to qualify as the quasi-remnants of the persian empire...

dear kolossos - you've been a member of these forums for quite a while - i assume you've read the faq and know about activating the script, etc...??
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

Is there even an Augustan reform? I thought it was just Polybian then Marian, because the game ends in 14AD, by which time the only military difference between Marian times and 14AD, when Augustus died, was that there were a hell of a lot more veteran cohorts, but almost identical equipment, or at least identical enough not to merit yet another reform.

Yes, there is an Augustan Reform. I consider it more of a Easter egg for all Roman players how makes it that far. Its a great challenge - and the Augustan Reform is a great reward.

Its probably much easier to force the Marian Reform. I guess all you need to do is to change to number of provinces needed to like 10.
    Last edited by Lovejoy; 02-26-2009 at 12:18.

read the faq. there is.
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

In my Roman game it is now 203 BC and one of my spies has found 3 units of Spartan Hoplites in Carthaginian service, where they shall soon perish!!!
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

There were slight equipment changes over time. The Augustan legions are not entirely identical to the Marian ones. Though, the main benefit of the Augustan reforms are auxilia infantry and ala cavalry.

There is no single cheat to get the Augustan reforms, unless you count editing the script a "cheat".

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Have several questions

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    No, only the KH has elite hoplites of anywhere. Syracusans, Massalians, Spartans are exclusive.
    I am sorry, but that is wrong on several counts. Massalians can be recruited by the Aedui and Averni as well. They are IIRC also available as mercenaries. Neither they nor the Syracuseans are elite: they are rank-and-file units. The KH is the only faction that can train Spartan hoplites, however the Carthaginians can use them as well, by bribing them or by a scripted event that allows them to recruit the Spartan mercenary general Xantippos. However, Carthage obtaining three units of Spartans is probably a bug.

There are also two elite regional hoplites available to factions other than the KH: the Bactrian Indohellenic noble hoplite and the Saka Agema Hellenikon.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Sorry, I didn't mean "elite" in that way. Maybe unique. Anyways, I got it wrong. Too much time playing Maks for me.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kολοσσός View Post
    1. Is there a cheat (via console code) to force Augustan reforms?
    2. I'm confused by the numerous factions...which faction is "Persia" (Darius, Xerxes, etc. al)?
    3. Which faction fields Spartiatai Hoplitai when playing a single player campaign?

Thanks in advance for replies.
    Greetings Spartan!

1. There is no cheat, but you can get the Augustan reforms by changing the .txt file located in "EBfolder"/EB/Data/scripts/show_me/EBBS_script and then change the Augustan conditions to like own 1 province.

2. Persia has been conquered by Alexander the Great before the game began. The faction that posesses most of the Persian lands is Arche Seleukia (vanilla Seleucid Empire). The factions with most Persian cultures are the Hayasdan (vanilla Armenia), the more nomadic Pahlavans (vanilla Parthia) and the Pontic people have Persian influence and claim to descend from the Persians. These are all hard factions, so I suggest to start with another first.

3. Only the Koinon Hellenon (vanilla Greek cities) can recruit the famed spartans. I don't really know how it works but the Qarthadast (vanilla Carthage) can get Spartans too. I am not sure how this work but probably someone else posted how this works in this thread.

ALWAYS ACTIVATE THE SCRIPT if you didn't notice yet.

The Recruitment Viewer also helps if you want to know who can recruit what where

Also I suggest that you read the FAQ, which is very helpful and very simple to find what you want.

Good luck with your campaigns!
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 03-01-2009 at 15:46.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hayasdan Reforms: Introduction
    The first Persian Empire was that of Cyrus the Great, the Achaemenid. With the fall of
    Darius III Codomannus, the Achaemenid Empire was no more.
    The second Persian Empire was that of Arsaces I, and it was known as the Arsacid Empire,
    or the Parthian Empire. These Parthians, who were once nomads, carved out an empire that
    lasted twice as long as the Achaemenid Empire.
    But the Arsacid kings were not inheritors of the Achaemenids by blood, but by tradition. The history of the
    Achaemenid Empire had been lost and was replaced with myth and tradition - the relief at Bisutun was already
    being wrongly attributed to the legendary Queen Semiramis by the 4th century BC.
    There were, however, survivors of the old dynasty of the Achaemenids , who could claim
    lineage to Cyrus, Darius and Artaxerxes - and, more importantly, who had the power to do
    so.
    The Orontid dynasty (Yervanduni) of Hayasdan were one such family. Descended from
    Orontes I (Yervand), satrap of the 13th satrapy, and then later the 10th as well, in the 4th
    century BC. Orontes I was reportedly of royal Bactrian blood, but had also been wed to the
    daughter of Artaxerxes II, Rhodogune.
    Orontes' power and respect at the Persian Court was enough to have himself pardoned of treason when he led a
    satrapal revolt against the Persian King.
    In 272 BC, the kingdom of Hayasdan, still beneath the rule of the Orontid dynasty, was not
    the homogeneous kingdom that would later mark its rise to power in the Caucasus. Whilst
    able to withstand the political pressure of Arche Seleukeia from within her mountain
    fortress, the disparate tribes of Hayasdan could not pose any threat beyond the confines of
    that self-same fortress.
    But, perhaps, had these peoples of Hayasdan been united sooner, beneath one king, the star
    of that kingdom in the Caucasus would have risen before the Parthians could fall upon the
    Hellenic Empire and claim Persia for themselves. And with the might of the Caucasus
    behind them, perhaps just perhaps, the second Persian Empire might not have been called Arsacid - but
    Orontid!
    Taken from the Guide to the Hayasdan reforms on the EB homepage.

And as mentioned before, the Seleucids own most of Persia at the start of the game. They are however not a Persian faction but a Hellenistic faction with a lot of Persian units.

The first round of the tournament has started. Who's going to prevail?

Gladius or Sarissa, Scutum or Aspis?

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Yes, Kardhastim can bribe spartans... look in EDU file...

The 3 spartans in the Kardhastim service maybe Xantthiphos's friends, or maybe the Kardhastim bribe them? The H campaign ai seems very fond of bribing my armies, why they didn't bribe the spartans as well?

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC