View Poll Results: How should the Battle of Edessa be fought?

Voters
18. This poll is closed
  • Abbreviated Tabletop Battle

6 33.33%
  • Tabletop Battle

12 66.67%
  • AI Battle

0 0%

Thread: The Battle of Edessa

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default The Battle of Edessa

Andronikos Komnenos (woad&fangs) and Theophylaktos Petzeas (Ibn-Khaldun) have met and a PvP battle will now occur between them. woad&fangs does not prefer a multiplayer battle. Accordingly, as per the rules, the players as a whole will determine which kind of battle will be fought. Please vote in the above poll. The option that gets the most votes will be used. Votes are not weighted.

This poll will be open for 24 hours, until 13:00 GMT on Friday, February 27th.

Please use this thread for discussions on this issue as well.

For convenience, this is the rule that describes each type of battle:

5.4 – PvP Battles: Whenever two hostile armies enter adjacent squares, a PvP Battle will occur, even if the armies have movement points remaining. If both players agree, the battle will be fought via multiplayer, with econ21, TinCow, or anyone they choose acting as umpire. The umpire will determine the map and the precise composition of the armies. If the battle is not fought via multiplayer, there will be a 24 hour voting period to determine how the battle will be fought. The voting options will be (a) Tabletop Battle (b) Abbreviated Tabletop Battle and (c) AI Battle. All players may vote, even those not involved in the battle, all votes will be unweighted, and the option that receives the most votes will be chosen. Tabletop Battles will be in the style of the Battle of Bern and the Battle of Trent and will be umpired by econ21, GeneralHankerchief, or anyone they choose. Abbreviated Tabletop Battles will be identical to a Tabletop Battle, but will be 1 turn in length. Players will determine their starting positions and outline a general strategy for the battle. The umpire will then play out the battle and determine the victor. The umpire may allow a maximum of 1 or 2 additional turns beyond the starting turn if they so choose. The Abbreviated Tabletop Battle will be run by econ21, GeneralHankerchief, or anyone they choose. AI Battles will be custom battles in the TW engine in which the AI will control all units on both sides. AI battles will be umpired by econ21, TinCow, or anyone they choose. The umpire will determine all settings to be used in the battle, including the map and the precise composition of the armies. Regardless of the type of battle chosen, the umpire must attempt to have the battle replicate the in-game state of affairs to the best of his ability. Regardless of the type of battle chosen, the umpire will determine the results, including, but not limited to, units to be disbanded as casualties, avatars to be killed off as casualties, and changes in the control of provinces. Console commands may be used to implement the results.
    An estimate of the time it takes to complete each type of battle:
    AI Battle - A few hours, likely completed the same day this poll closes
    Abbreviated Tabletop Battle - A few days
    Tabletop Battle - Approximately 1 to 2 weeks, give or take a few days
    Last edited by TinCow; 02-26-2009 at 14:29.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Battle of Edessa

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs
    btw, my preference for the PvP battle is to have a tabletop or abreviated tabletop battle.
    I would choose them as well. I don't like AI battle because player can always find a way to defeat AI in a battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    I would choose them as well. I don't like AI battle because player can always find a way to defeat AI in a battle!
    Please note that in an AI Battle, the AI controls BOTH sides. Thus, they will both be equally inept.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gah! In that case, tabletop please!!

Full Tabletop is the chosen system. The Battle of Edessa will be umpired by GeneralHankerchief, who will determine pretty much everything and anything to do with it. Please be patient, as full tabletop battles take a while to fight. I would expect this to take 1 to 2 weeks to resolve.

For those that are new to this type of play, the following battles were all done in the same format:

The Battle for Rome (WotS)
    The Battle of Bern (KotR)
    The Battle of Trent (KotR)

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Excellent, I'll have this started in about a day. For the record, Zim will most likely be my assistant Igor throughout the whole process. Stand by.

"I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

"it's pronounced 'eye-gor.'"
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The actual battle is going in a new thread for aesthetic reasons. Please refer all discussion of the battle to the OOC thread. Thanks.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.