Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flanking Revisited

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Obake...Your observation is SO logical it is almost certainly correct. The center of the unit ...(sigh, guess it was a reach)
    Black Ship...Tis my good fortune to have no olfactory mods on my computer...

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Burp!

all this info is giving me wind

Eating and enjoying thx all

------------------

Keep you exits clear and your neddles clean

Keep you exits clear and your needles clean

Another drawback of the long, thin line: it won't take the attacker long to wipe out your men in the center. His troops then turn to meet the men on the far ends of your line, who have barely arrived by that point. If the attacker has four lines to your two, the center of your unit will be outnumbered in the initial charge, and killed pretty quickly. By the time your "flankers" arrive, the enemy will be ready for them.

-- B)

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Banzai... Greetings to a fellow Islander!
    My practice is to back archers with foot and
    counter charge. I try to time it so my charging foot meets theirs before it hits the archers. The archers can continue to shoot, if not depleted, or be thrown in and acquire the flanks as I described. With a elevation advantage they do well against anything but monks. If my counter-charge arrives late I get the advantage of charge while his is dissipated against my archers.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

I LIKE CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Honour to Kenchikuka, may
    the Gods have mercy for those who fight against us!

Many thanks for these infos Lonjohn2 !
    La mort n'est rien mais vivre vaincu et sans gloire c'est mourir tous les jours

Methabaron wasup? my roomate lives in Dhahran Saudi Arabia just saying hello to a fellow Saudi

This Thread is one of the most important ones that I have ever read.. And for all that contributed, I sincerly appreciate all the good info.

I had to re-read this today as I have been getting my but kicked alot lately and have gotten so depressed. It seems that I was "not giving a damn anymore" and it showed on my playing skills expecially last night.

I have one question that I am confused on and I hope you will give me some insight please.

I have seen a good tactic from players using WM's to attack my main line. Now using Naginatas, WM and YS as my main center defence, I still get brutalized by the WM. What troops would you recommend to fight the WM? The YS dont do crap and the Naginatas are so so. I used my WM against there WM and it seems that whosever has higher honor WM prevails.
    Is there a good counter troop against the WM?
    Or am I using my Naginatas wrong? Instead of Melee attacks maybe they should be in hold formation. or visa versa.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

------------------

Clan "No Fear At All"
    "The rivers will flow with blood from thy enemy"

"The rivers will flow with blood from thy enemy"

WOW alot of post here

------------------
    Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.
    Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

Gifted Dilettante Member DragonCat's Avatar

Range units decimate warrior monks and no dachi - BUT they must be used wisely and protected. The monk rush is a fearsome thing unless you have nerves of steel and the right men in the right place. I can't give away all my secrets, but I have survived the monk rush and it takes skill, timing and a little luck doesn't hurt.

To counter the monks you have to use ALL your advantages wisely, including in no particular order, right men for the job, range units, height advantage, the correct unit orders (fire at will, hold position, etc), flanking, creating local advantages (you may have same number of units, but if you can get local 2or3x1's while some of his troops are unengaged (ie useless)), charge bonuses, etc.

Good hunting!!

------------------
    DragonCat
    "On the prowl . . . ."
    DragonCat
    . . . on the prowl!

Ai-jin:
    Naginata are great defenders, so they work very well at Hold Formation, and maybe Hold Position if you want them to hold onto a hilltop. Have the second HtH unit (Yaris or ashigaru) held in reserve. When the Monks hit your line, send your second unit around to flank them. The nagi's should hold the monks in place while your yaris hit them from the side. You'll lose men, but you should be able to throw them back. But yes, honor-level makes a BIG difference! Otherwise, shoot them from a distance. Cavalry Archers are ideal for this - they'll fire away, then fall back, then resume firing, and they run much faster than archers or monks.

ShaiHulud: Aloha! Finally, someone else in my time zone! I'm getting cable modem soon, so maybe we could kill each other some time? Or start up a Pacific Rim clan.....

-- B)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12