Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New French preview

Default New French preview

Some press thing in Paris. Report here: http://www.universtotalwar.fr/Forum/...showtopic=2294

New info:

- Trade agreements increase relations over time.
    - Scotland and Ireland will be prone to rebellion at the beginning, especially Scotland, and will be able to form new nations.
    - Trade routes colour coded to indicate status.
    - You can appoint generals from your most experienced units!
    - Infantry can use grapples for climbing walls.
    - The population of a captured city prefer that you didn't destroy it in the capturing.
    - Captured ships can be renamed.
    - Loading is much faster, except when there's a town involved.
    - They saw 4x4 multiplayer going on.
    - You can demand the surrender of a beseiged town before battle.
    - The lack of sound in the demo was due to a missing file ... but there won't be pipes or fifes.
    - They will be working a set of modding tools.
    - Rumours of an expansion based on Robert Lee's battles; speculation about a Napoleonic or a Civil War expansion.

Exclamation Re: New French preview

Except for the exclusion of pipes and fifes (), Nice!

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: New French preview

Y'know the French always make good stuff.

No, it doesn't work.

Anyways, this is cool
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Aww no pipes or drums. It doesn't surprise me to read that a possible expansion would cover Napoleon and maybe end with the US civil war. That would be roughly 50 or so years? Lots of room for new tech and factions. In any case, it might provide with a tiny peek at what a hypotetical modern TW game would look like, to use the survey that came out last month, a WW I game. I think depending on the popularity of Empire and the expansion might determine the fate of the future TW game and whether it moves into the 20th century or goes to ancient China, Greece or Japan as suggested by the survey, IMO.

What was going on in Europe during the 1860's? Were people drinking their tea and reading the newspapers and laughing at the Americans and their little war? The only global implication that I can up with off the top of my head is that instead of having one trading partner in the US, you'll have two, the USA and the CSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    Aww no pipes or drums. It doesn't surprise me to read that a possible expansion would cover Napoleon and maybe end with the US civil war. That would be roughly 50 or so years? Lots of room for new tech and factions. In any case, it might provide with a tiny peek at what a hypotetical modern TW game would look like, to use the survey that came out last month, a WW I game. I think depending on the popularity of Empire and the expansion might determine the fate of the future TW game and whether it moves into the 20th century or goes to ancient China, Greece or Japan as suggested by the survey, IMO.

What was going on in Europe during the 1860's? Were people drinking their tea and reading the newspapers and laughing at the Americans and their little war? The only global implication that I can up with off the top of my head is that instead of having one trading partner in the US, you'll have two, the USA and the CSA.
    Italian unification, publication of Alice in Wonderland.

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Y'know the French always make good stuff.

No, it doesn't work.

Anyways, this is cool

GAH! Not again.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    Italian unification, publication of Alice in Wonderland.
    German unification, and the Red River "Rebellion" in Canada's westward expansion. Ignore Mailman's USA-centrism.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 02-27-2009 at 03:35.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post

The first thing that popped into my head was the Crimean War, but thats in the 1850s, so i was a decade off. Can't really think of anything that happened in that decade.

Though I hope that if the American Civil War is portrayed in a comming xpack, it's done so as a relatively minor event, or one that would "close out" the expansion. Focusing too much on that conflict would be boring since there were only two major players, both American. At least IIRC.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-27-2009 at 03:46. Reason: formating for cleanliness

The Austro-Prussian War of 1866.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Does anyone actually know about the Red River Rebellion?

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    The first thing that popped into my head was the Crimean War, but thats in the 1850s, so i was a decade off.
    But thats perfectly fine, if the expansion starts with Napoleon, lets say 1800 and the US civil war ends in 1865, then that means we have 65 years of game play. It would be nice if they made each one their own seperate campaign, M2TW expansion style. It would really focus the action to one reigon or regions rather than worrying whats going on across the globe.

With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

There was plenty going on in Europe during the 1860s. At the beginning of the decade was the Franco-Austrian War (1859) in Italy that paved the way for the Kingdom of Sardinia (Savoy) to unify most of the peninsula the next year; The Second Schleswig War (1864) where Austria and Prussia annexed the southern territories of Denmark within the German Confederation. Two years later, Prussia kicked Austria out of German affairs permenantly in the Austro-Prussian War (1866), with newly consolidated Italy supporting Prussia. This war had the strange incident at the battle of Lissa, when the desperate Austrian admiral ordered his ironclads to close to point-blank range and ram the more powerful Italian warships, actually succeeding in winning the battle. At the end of the decade, Prussia, leading the new North German Confederation and their southern Allies invaded France in the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871), which ended in unification and creation of Second German Reich, the deposition of Napoleon III and the German annexation of Alsace-Lorraine. So, the 1860s were also quite exciting for Europe as well. These are just the major wars that involved the big powers within Europe. In the colonial sphere, in 1860, Great Britain and France launched an expedition against China in the Second Opium War. In 1861-67, a coalition of European powers led by France unsuccessfully attempted to install the Austrian Maximilian of Habsburg-Lorraine as the first emperor of Mexico, leading to his execution in 1867. In Asia, the Taiping rebellion finally ends in 1864 after 14 years with the fall of Nanjing; in Japan, the Meiji Restoration takes place 1866-69.

Chairman
    My balloons -

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman
    There was plenty going on in Europe during the 1860s. At the beginning of the decade was the Franco-Austrian War (1859) in Italy that paved the way for the Kingdom of Sardinia (Savoy) to unify most of the peninsula the next year; The Second Schleswig War (1864) where Austria and Prussia annexed the southern territories of Denmark within the German Confederation. Two years later, Prussia kicked Austria out of German affairs permenantly in the Austro-Prussian War (1866), with newly consolidated Italy supporting Prussia. This war had the strange incident at the battle of Lissa, when the desperate Austrian admiral ordered his ironclads to close to point-blank range and ram the more powerful Italian warships, actually succeeding in winning the battle. At the end of the decade, Prussia, leading the new North German Confederation and their southern Allies invaded France in the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871), which ended in unification and creation of Second German Reich, the deposition of Napoleon III and the German annexation of Alsace-Lorraine. So, the 1860s were also quite exciting for Europe as well. These are just the major wars that involved the big powers within Europe. In the colonial sphere, in 1860, Great Britain and France launched an expedition against China in the Second Opium War. In 1861-67, a coalition of European powers led by France unsuccessfully attempted to install the Austrian Maximilian of Habsburg-Lorraine as the first emperor of Mexico, leading to his execution in 1867. In Asia, the Taiping rebellion finally ends in 1864 after 14 years with the fall of Nanjing; in Japan, the Meiji Restoration takes place 1866-69.

Chairman
    Damn your eyes, you didn't mention the Red River Rebellion!

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Unfortunately, Canadian history usually gets forgotten when things go crazy. I bet you Amis don't even know who Louis Riel is.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Bah. They don't even know who the Metis are, and wouldn't even recognize the little flags of my nationality in my sig if the lives of their hot mothers were on the line.

*spits*

- You can demand the surrender of a beseiged town before battle.
    This will be very sweet as long as the AI actually will sometimes use the option at appropriate times.
    Presumably the player gets the option to surrender in defence too?

Hopefully the soldiers that surrender will be allowed to leave unmolested & join up with their side elsewhere, at least most of the time.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

- They saw 4x4 multiplayer going on.

I think Napoleon is the obvious expansion, as it should be. I would also like a Civil War campaign, but it would have to be re-worked a bit as it would primarily focus on the two countries. That would mean more internal management of the country and making each battle more pivotal. It could be done, and would sell well in America.

Considering the game ends in 1799, the year Napoleon became head of France, the expansion will probably be about him. Maybe they can throw the U.S. in as well for the War of 1812 and they could add another region in for trade.

It would be nice to see the 19th century campaign with an expanded world map. It would love to take part in the Meiji Restoration (or prevent it).

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

I'd like the expansion to add more stuff into the main campaign. The main campaign is what keeps me coming back to the game after all.

The expansion could add Africa, Asia and Australia, plus all of the factions those areas would need. It would be great to see China, Japan, the Zulu and other factions added in.

I wouldn't mind if it had a Napoleon campaign as well though .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Blog Entries

I would like something more like BI. Same map but more filled out with nice new features!
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

I would like the expansion to jump back 100 years from 1700. On the same campaign map, with colourful uniforms, pikeman, musketeers,
    drummers, curassiers, lots of flags and banners.

The ships (like the ones from 17. Century mucho mucho more) with plain sails (nice feature to olden the sails!) and lots of emblems ....

That's what i wanted b4 ETW was announced, now an expansion would be nice.
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Avatar made by Durango Signature made by 777Ares777 and proudly used by Marten!

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    I would like the expansion to jump back 100 years from 1700. On the same campaign map, with colourful uniforms, pikeman, musketeers,
    drummers, curassiers, lots of flags and banners.

The ships (like the ones from 17. Century mucho mucho more) with plain sails (nice feature to olden the sails!) and lots of emblems ....

That's what i wanted b4 ETW was announced, now an expansion would be nice.
    I wish Empire had started in 1600 and ran onwards to 1820. It would have been fantastic to see the technology progress. Ah well, maybe Empire 2? Or a mod possibly.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1860 was the Industrial revolution leading up to the first world war.

I would have thought the expansion would have been Asia.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiusBeskar View Post
    1860 was the Industrial revolution leading up to the first world war.

I would have thought the expansion would have been Asia.
    If CA go down the Kingdoms route then it could indeed by Asia, as well as the American civil war and Napoleon.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    If CA go down the Kingdoms route then it could indeed by Asia, as well as the American civil war and Napoleon.
    So, we'll get 2-3 expansions:

EMPIRE: REVOLUTION

With all the stuff from 1800 onwards; Napoleonic, American Civil War, Zulu Wars (African Wars) ...

EMPIRE: RENAISSANCE

With all the stuff i'd like to see ...

EMPIRE: TIDES OF ASIA

With the possibility to do some "Shogun2"?

Marten
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Avatar made by Durango Signature made by 777Ares777 and proudly used by Marten!

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    So, we'll get 2-3 expansions:

EMPIRE: REVOLUTION

With all the stuff from 1800 onwards; Napoleonic, American Civil War, Zulu Wars (African Wars) ...

EMPIRE: RENAISSANCE

With all the stuff i'd like to see ...

EMPIRE: TIDES OF ASIA

With the possibility to do some "Shogun2"?

Marten
    I hope so , but three expansions is a bit more than CA are probably prepared to make. Unless Empire makes incredible amounts of money.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Everbody buy ten copies of Empire and then burn 9 of them. Rinse, repeat. That'll get us more expansions!
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Everbody buy ten copies of Empire and then burn 9 of them. Rinse, repeat. That'll get us more expansions!
    We should all collect the other nine copies and then use them to build a giant Org mansion for the Mods and Assistant Mods .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

The friendly fire "bug" must have been fixed. This is information out of Germany and France now with no mention of it. I mean, if it was a big issue SOMEONE would notice it.

It was probably just a case of typical demo bugginess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast