Thread: A dumb idea or not?

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Default A dumb idea or not?

So I'm getting a new laptop. I want to improve airflow around it, so I got the (potentially) dumb idea of taping/gluing the caps of waterbottles to the bottom of the laptop to improve airflow for the vents on the bottom.

Like so.

| |
    | |
    | |
    o======= <---- Air
    (before)

| |
    | |
    | |
    o======= (after)
    5 5 55

^ air can get through from the bottom.

Will this work, or will it just destroy my laptop?
    Last edited by DemonArchangel; 02-27-2009 at 20:49.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Default AW: A dumb idea or not?

Might help a little bit. But I┤d suggest instead that you put a piece of sheet metal under your laptop, if you want additional cooling. Sheet metal┤s thermal conductivity is far better than that of air. Ideally the sheet metal should be significantly larger than your laptop because the heat, that the sheet metal absorbs, has to go somewhere.

| |
    | |
    | |
    o======= <---- Air
    MMMMMMMMMMMM<--- sheet metal

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Default Re: AW: A dumb idea or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Haudegen View Post
    Might help a little bit. But I┤d suggest instead that you put a piece of sheet metal under your laptop, if you want additional cooling. Sheet metal┤s thermal conductivity is far better than that of air. Ideally the sheet metal should be significantly larger than your laptop because the heat, that the sheet metal absorbs, has to go somewhere.

| |
    | |
    | |
    o======= <---- Air
    MMMMMMMMMMMM<--- sheet metal

Erm... I hope this is a joke. If it is then "ha ha!"

If it's not, then do NOT do this. The sheet metal would actually do the opposite and cause worse heat problems, because it would absorb and retain the heat. A liquid is actually the best method for heat transfer.

Putting the bottle caps on your laptop won't hurt anything, and it'll make a negligible impact on the airflow, but it definitely wouldn't hurt it.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: A dumb idea or not?

There are alot of laptop cooling products out there in the $20-$30 range, bit I never bothered with any of them. I think the easiest thing to do is just make sure your laptop is on a hard, flat surface whenever you're operating it in a hot environment or doing something that would be taxing on the hardware (or just all the time). Most laptops are designed to get enough airflow underneath via just the little rubber nubs they come with. Just be sure you're not blocking the vents with anything.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Default Re: A dumb idea or not?

Thanks guys. It's just that the rubber nubs on my last laptop fell off, so I got the bottlecaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.