Thread: i gave blood today

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default i gave blood today

it didnt hurt very much. only when they inserted the needle. in fact, when they pricked my finger beforehand, it hurt more. plus i got a cool tshirt and a bunch of free nutter-butters. free is better, right?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Default Re: i gave blood today

Right. Good boy. Blood donors get +1 stamina and +4 defense against vampires afaik.

srsly, giving blood is a good idea. They need it everywhere and all the time and in large amounts. You save lives giving your blood. Not only in theory but physically.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

The best part about giving blood is the cheap drunk you get when you go out drinking later.

(Used to donate myself, but am on the blacklist now, due to the British and their crazy cows...)
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

mmmm nutter butter.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Last time I gave blood in college, my friend and I had a "race" to see who could fill up the bags the fastest (I won!). I ended up almost passing out, and then ate an entire 14" large pizza and drank about 16 of those little orange juice containers that they were offering as 'free' incentive.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

I gave blood for the first time a couple weeks ago. At the end I was burning up, had blurry vision, tingly fingers, o joy

And to top it all off I was one of the last people to go through that day so all they had left for treats was a few lousy "sandies" cookies.

Supposedly first time donors and light donors usually get the worst symptoms and I fit into both categories.

Still, I think our school has another blood drive around prom time and I'll probably donate again.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I admire anyone who givese blood. If I wasnt so scared of needles, I'd be out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    I admire anyone who givese blood. If I wasnt so scared of needles, I'd be out there.
    My father is utterly terrified of needles and I generally keep my distance from them. However, these fears can be overcome by the simple knowledge that you are potentially saving the lives of not just one person, but multiple people. It could be someone you know who needs blood next.

I've donated blood almost 10 times and I try to get to the donation drive as often as I am allowed to (After the minimum period elapses).
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

They can have a kidney as long as it doesn't involve any needles, I would be shaking too much to find an artery anyway I HATE NEEDLES. I already disliked them but after I tore of a finger and had a local sedation GAWDDAMNIT TEH PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN straight into the wound "this is going to be somewhat painful" DAMNED STRAIGHT it's painful alright.

No. more. needles.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    No. more. needles.
    Support that.

I keep having to get toenail cut out from in my toe. I refuse the needles to numb the toe and watch the blade slice into my toes. It hurts like #$*^&)$^&)$#^) but its better than a needle.

Being shot gives me less fear than a needle.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

I cannot give blood.

I faint when I see my blood. Surprisingly I have no problem when I see other peoples' blood and 100% able to help someone severely injured. Since I go into a state of shock when I see my blood the doctors do not allow me to even try to give blood.

But I wish that I could because it is a great thing to do.

When I cut myself, even a little bit, I gotta sit down and relax or else I go down. So next time donate some blood for me too
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Ouch pever. Ouch.

I can't here, since I might have mad cow or something...
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I take comfort in the knowledge that within 30 years they will be synthesizing blood.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: i gave blood today

I faint upon hearing my own heart beat. On the other hand, one of the smaller calibres for vacunation into the arm is quite pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    I cannot give blood.

I faint when I see my blood. Surprisingly I have no problem when I see other peoples' blood and 100% able to help someone severely injured. Since I go into a state of shock when I see my blood the doctors do not allow me to even try to give blood.

But I wish that I could because it is a great thing to do.

When I cut myself, even a little bit, I gotta sit down and relax or else I go down. So next time donate some blood for me too
    I'm the same way. I almost passed out at the Doctor's office when they made me give blood for a test.

I'd love to get blood, but would definitely faint if I tried. I also loathe needles.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Ouch pever. Ouch.
    What no ouch Frag ouch? Do you think a teared of finger is pleasant? It's not, it hurts like hell. Well it doesn't really, oddly enough it doesn't hurt, bloody and messy yes, but not painful. But that local sedation DEAR GOD SCREW YOU I HAVE NINE LEFT. Happy with having ten though.

lol, I do not understand people's fear of needles. What is the big deal? In my experience they do not hurt at all. I once had to take a pair of pliars and stick a red hot pin into my toe nail to relieve the pressure of a bloodblister. If I could have had a needle stuck into me to numb the pain, I would have done it!

Oh well, it does not matter anyway, because we are all DOOMed.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Try one where your finger should be and tell me needles don't hurt FFS they do

Try one where your finger should be and tell me needles don't hurt FFS they do
    But with a torn off finger, I would imagine that anything would be painfull. I have had quite a few serious wounds in my days, but have been lucky enough to hold onto all my body parts so far. How did you lose your finger?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    But with a torn off finger, I would imagine that anything would be painfull. I have had quite a few serious wounds in my days, but have been lucky enough to hold onto all my body parts so far. How did you lose your finger?
    We were moving a fridge, I was holding the upper part, friend the lower part, the idiot slipped. Fridge janked it right of. You don't feel anything really, it doesn't hurt at all. UNTILL THEY SEDATE YOU. It works perfectly fine now except my nail grows odd and I can feel it when it's about to start raining no kidding, that fridge made me a superhero.

We were moving a fridge, I was holding the upper part, friend the lower part, the idiot slipped. Fridge janked it right of. You don't feel anything really, it doesn't hurt at all. UNTILL THEY SEDATE YOU. It works perfectly fine now except my nail grows odd and I can feel it when it's about to start raining no kidding, that fridge made me a superhero.
    Ouch, how many fingers were you holding it by? I am happy you have it back at least. You gotta love modern technology.

There was this whateverit'scalled at the back, some machinery, other fingers just got cut.

that's the prick right there. The fridge ---^
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-08-2009 at 12:15.

There was this whateverit'scalled at the back, some machinery, other fingers just got cut.

that's the ***** right there. The fridge ---^
    Ouch, I am gonna be carefull next time I move a fridge, lol. Again, I am glad you got it back though. Would have stunk to have lost it for good. I almost lost a toe once, but through a miracle I still have it. :P I was moving ******* huge stones from the broken in foundation of my old barn, over to a pile where a friend was gonna come pick them up so that he could use them. I had my foot on one massive boulder as my brother and I were prying the one on the top off. The rock my brother was on slipped and he went sliding backward, and the rock smashed down onto the tip of my toe. It completely crushed it, shattered the bone and all. They had to remove bone fragments and stuff. I had been working in my boots all day, so they were really gross inside, and the skin had ruptured and stuff, so it is a wonder I did not get an infection. Then to make it worse, I had to 50 yards to the truck, and when I got to the hospital, the sock was clinging to the foot and toe, so they had to cut it off. They ended up cleaning, removing bone fragments, wrapping it up really tight, then putting my foot into a splint. I was told that I was extremely lucky it was not amputated, or worse, got infected and spread. I honestly cannot remember if they gave me anything for the pain or not, but it did not hurt much. I couldn't feel anything in my foot at all. Later on when I got home it started hurting though. :P I am very thankfull I still got it though, cause my Taekwondo days would be over otherwise.

It's funny you don't feel anything nature has it's ways. I had gotten into a fight (stupid me trying to end a fight), felt a hit on my back, turned out I was stabbed. Not very deep thankfully, but I didn't even notice a few minutes later or so people pointed out that I was bleeding.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

that's the prick right there. The fridge ---^
    It is a Smeg mate.

I would give my left te... a thumb for a Smeg .Cool fridges
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Now there is someone who knows classy when he sees it.

Took quite some time to turn this hellhole into something decent enough to live.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Talking Re: i gave blood today

Hmmm, Niceplace Fragony. it your's right?

Anyway, as for blood, I could care less about needles, but I am selfish and I have lower-than-normal blood pressure. So I am hoarding all my blood. I need it. So says my doctor too.

Seriously, those blood donation people are too overeager. They would suck the last bit from you if they could. I have seen people give blood despite all advice against from their doctors.

My blood is just too noble for most peasants in this world. If you want it, confirm your noble status and I might just donate it to you. Or sell it.