Thread: Sharks

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Sharks

I am curious why they didn't put sharks to eat people after a boat sinks.

That's like the first think that I would have brought up at the meeting about naval battles after the whole "we should finally make naval battles so people don't keep whining about them" thing.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Default Re: Sharks

in one of the video interviews it was stated that sharks were in game, what role they will play is unknown my guess would be eye candy to follow fleets

cheers Knoddy

ps i think it was the G4tv vid preview with the guy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I didn't see them in the demo. I was a little disappointed!

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

You can't rescue sailors.... :(
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

maybe they could be in as a retainer/trait of particularly blood thirsty admirals.

"bloodthirsty" - has sharks following his fleet due to the excessive number of casualties +1 dread or something hehe

"plank walker" - likes to make prisoners walk the plank, his enemy dont like it but the sharks sure do +1 dread

:D :D

i guess we have to wait and see heh
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Sharks are in as a researchable unit. You attack a steam powered drill to their heads and send them after enemy ships .

Sharks will probably just swim around underneath ships looking menacing. It would be nice to see more than one species to, rather than just your standard 'Great White'.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

When the USS Indianapolis was torpeadoed in WW2 out 880 that wnt into the water only 300 odd survived with many being picked off by Sharks.

God that must have been so scary!
    ...whoever commands the ocean, commands the trade of the world, and whoever commands the trades of the world, commands the riches of the world, and whoever is master of that, commands the world itself..

"... it is a good thing to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." Voltaire, Candide.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006556106

Quote Originally Posted by batemonkey View Post
    When the USS Indianapolis was torpeadoed in WW2 out 880 that wnt into the water only 300 odd survived with many being picked off by Sharks.

God that must have been so scary!
    It was the biggest shark attack on record. The sailors formed circles to try and keep the sharks at bay but they swam underneath and yanked men down out of the circle and into the water. Apparently all night you could here screams as people were dragged under, and you floated and shivered and wondered if it would be you who felt the teeth next...

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

I watched Jaws when I was about 10 and it's given me the fear ever since - so I for one will be happy not to see a single pixel-shark during my campaigning!

Just thinking about the theme tune when swimming in the local pool used to be enough to get me out of the water in record time!

Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    I watched Jaws when I was about 10 and it's given me the fear ever since - so I for one will be happy not to see a single pixel-shark during my campaigning!

Just thinking about the theme tune when swimming in the local pool used to be enough to get me out of the water in record time!
    Sharks are probably the most terrifying creature in nature. They even look evil. Theres just something about that toothy smile and evil black eyes that reaches down into old instincts and makes you shiver. It only makes it worse that they operate in water, and no human can swim well enough to outrun them.

Sailors in the 18th century must have been utterly terrified of them, since most cuoldn't swim and sea battles filled the water with blood...

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Blog Entries

I cant help but think that all the explosions and chaos of the naval engagements would scare away the sharks not attract them.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I cant help but think that all the explosions and chaos of the naval engagements would scare away the sharks not attract them.
    Amazingly they don't much care about all the noise and fire, they probably realise they are reasonably safe under water. And once a shark gets the scent of blood they will swim for miles to find the source. Eventually you end up with hundreds of sharks circling an area, and once they attack it's known as a 'feeding frenzy' for very good reasons.

The worst part is that sharks are pretty smart. It takes a lot to scare them off when they know you can't really do much to hurt them.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Blog Entries

I guess it doesnt help that they are the top of the food chain and probably wouldnt fear you atomatically even if people could harm them easily.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

That depends on what type of shark they are.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Never mess with any predator that hasn't evolved for hundreds of millions of years.

Especially if they're armed with fricken' laser beams.

It's eye candy I can do without to be honest, but if sharks are modelled, I demand to see dolphins!

Steller's Seacow would be nice too. Wild life in general woudl be awesome in TW games especially birds flying off when soldiers get near.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

don't sharks NOT like to eat humans? I thought that was the case and most surfers are eaten because they are mistaken from seals from under the water....clarification please?

Yeah, we aren't considered usual prey for sharks. They have no real intention of eating us, but if there is blood everywhere, they will come and eat.

Just saying, sharks today bite less people than New Yorkers.

Serious.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post

Serious.
    Hey most of those reports are probably us New Yorks giving love bites!

Sharks would be very interesting to see but it'd be very disturbing to see them go after the sailors. Maybe a shark fin or two going around the map will be their only presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Sharks are probably the most terrifying creature in nature. They even look evil. Theres just something about that toothy smile and evil black eyes that reaches down into old instincts and makes you shiver. It only makes it worse that they operate in water, and no human can swim well enough to outrun them.

Sailors in the 18th century must have been utterly terrified of them, since most cuoldn't swim and sea battles filled the water with blood...
    Sharks used to follow slave ships also....and they are known to follow big ships because of the garbage thrpwn overboard...but...has any of you been near a lion...without any bars between the 2 of you...i can guarantee you that its the scariest thing i have ever experienced.

Anyway...since Portugal isnt playable I still have a deep and secret feeling that a shark faction will be playable

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Some fins in the water. We can probably mod the ocean skins to put some wildlife in it.

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Yeah, we aren't considered usual prey for sharks. They have no real intention of eating us, but if there is blood everywhere, they will come and eat.

Serious.
    It depends on the shark species. There are only 4 you generally have to worry about. Great White, Tiger Shark, Bull Shark and the Oceanic White Tip. Some of those have been known to be man-eaters. Most other sharks will stay well away from humans unless they mistake them for a seal of some kind, or a turtle. It's often surfers, because the surf board distorts the silhouette.

Sometimes a curious shark might take a bite, realise you are human and leave. It doesn't really help the guy who is now missing a huge chunk of his leg though...

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

It is interesting to know that sharks were not feared so much during this time.

I have even read scientific debates regarding whether sharks would attack people.. I think it was the late 1800s or even early 1900s before it was regarded that they attacked humans and became feared.

One branch of my family did have an intriguing letter written after making the Atlantic crossing in I think the 1820s. It was written in German, and it said that sea swine followed the ship awaiting someone to die.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
    don't sharks NOT like to eat humans? I thought that was the case and most surfers are eaten because they are mistaken from seals from under the water....clarification please?
    I think you are right, but in the case of the Indianapolis and many other wrecks / sinkings where shark attacks are reported they happen far out in the ocan. Pelagic sharks, or deep sea sharks, can't be beggars, there is suprsingly little to eat right out in the middle of the oceans.

Plus, as has been mentioned blood would definitely put them in a another state of mind. Many of the accounts of battles of this time mention blood litterally running down the sides of ships...
    Cheers,
    The Freedom Onanist