Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sooooo soon...

Default Sooooo soon...

Empire Total War will be coming out in only a few days now. They said that they would release a patch to fix the major problems in the game. In 3 days we will finally see if it is the biggest smash or the biggest flop of all time.
    I am not going to buy the game until I know for sure that these problems have been addressed in a satisfactorial way:
    Animations
    Ridiculous performance issues
    Random freezing

Who can I trust to honestly tell me how well these things have been addressed when the game comes out?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sooooo soon...

Me.

Its been said (Sir Beane) that the animations are better in the full game, that the demo was old code not optimised to use dual cores and random freezes? I havent heard anything about them.

You can ask me via PM about anything you want concerning the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Me.

Its been said (Sir Beane) that the animations are better in the full game, that the demo was old code not optimised to use dual cores and random freezes? I havent heard anything about them.

You can ask me via PM about anything you want concerning the game.
    Thanks Pever.
    It freezes half of the time at the beginning, freezes some times in battle, and freezes a lot at the end of the naval battles. It really made me mad. :P
    Last edited by Vuk; 03-01-2009 at 10:41.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, apart from the fact that its just a demo, im presuming you've checked your specs against minimum etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

It isn't just me that says the animations look better in the gold version, Monk agrees .

As for the random freezing, sounds like your processor isn't up to the task of running the game. You probably have the minimum or just above minimum specs?
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 03-01-2009 at 11:34.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Like John Paul Jones, I have not yet begun to fight.

AND IT'S FREAKING KILLING ME! Why can't it be Wendsday?

At least it's march, take what you can get.

Clearly you can't trust me. As soon as I have this game I will probably love as much as I loved RTW and MTW2, (Which apparently some people on this site hate)

So I am probably not the best source.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Hmmm, apart from the fact that its just a demo, im presuming you've checked your specs against minimum etc?
    Yeah, it should run fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Yeah, it should run fine...
    Have you tried updating your video drivers? It's amazing how much that can help sometimes.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    At least it's march, take what you can get.

Clearly you can't trust me. As soon as I have this game I will probably love as much as I loved RTW and MTW2, (Which apparently some people on this site hate)

So I am probably not the best source.
    lol, I loved RTW and M2TW too. :P I thought I was gonna like ETW, but if it is anything like the demo I am afraid that I will not. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Have you tried updating your video drivers? It's amazing how much that can help sometimes.
    I always keep up to date. I do not see why it should be running so bad and freezing on my comp, yet it runs great in all the videos. I can play BF2 with almost full graphics and no lag, so it is not like my comp is having trouble or anything. Maybe it is just cause it is a laptop.

Well I hate to say this but if your going up against Minimum specs your only dooming yourself.

Fact is game devs don't even consider minimum specs and rarely try them. Usually they try it out on recommended and then figure out what it could run on bare min without testing it.

So if your not sporting duo and 512 video card, tough luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    Well I hate to say this but if your going up against Minimum specs your only dooming yourself.

Fact is game devs don't even consider minimum specs and rarely try them. Usually they try it out on recommended and then figure out what it could run on bare min without testing it.

So if your not sporting duo and 512 video card, tough luck.
    I am, and 3 gigs of ram.

I am, and 3 gigs of ram.
    Well in that case you must be one of those (un)lucky few who are having problems running the demo for no good reason. I suppose all you can really do is wait to see what others say about the main game.

I hope they've fixed things and it works for you I was looking forward to your mods.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Yes sadly nothing you can do until 2 more days when the Orgah's reviews start rolling in.

That said, in mean time you'll just be sitting around and taking polls like the rest of us :)

Empire Total War will be coming out in only a few days now. They said that they would release a patch to fix the major problems in the game. In 3 days we will finally see if it is the biggest smash or the biggest flop of all time.
    I am not going to buy the game until I know for sure that these problems have been addressed in a satisfactorial way:
    Ridiculous performance issues
    Random freezing

Who can I trust to honestly tell me how well these things have been addressed when the game comes out?
    I am amazed you can slander a game thats due soon, havn't you read that plenty of people can play the demo just fine, so that automatically must tell you that it's your lap top, either it can't cut the mustard on the settings you selected, or it's got other issues, but it can't be CA's fault!

I was hoping more people would want to be more supportive of CA's hard work and cut them a little slack, particulary blaming the game for their own setup problems.

Lap tops are known to be poor gaming rigs.
    Last edited by Digby Tatham Warter; 03-01-2009 at 12:33.

Yes, it's important to be honest with yourself.

I can run medium but there is a slight lag I prefer not to deal with (and longer load times) so I run low.

I am fine with low, and have alot of fun but some people keep trying to run High and Ultra who clearly cannot run high and ultra.

The demo has some bugs, no doubt about it, but i'd wait to see the full 15 gig version before worrying on how the 2 gig version worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby Tatham Warter View Post
    I am amazed you can slander a game thats due soon, havn't you read that plenty of people can play the demo just fine, so that automatically must tell you that it's your lap top, either it can't cut the mustard on the settings you selected, or it's got other issues, but it can't be CA's fault!

I was hoping more people would want to be more supportive of CA's hard work and cut them a little slack, particulary blaming the game for their own setup problems.

Lap tops are known to poor gaming rigs.
    I wouldn't say it was slander. I've heard much worse coming from people on these forums, and often without any real justification. Vuk has genuine issues, and I think I would be annoyed if I couldn't run the game.

It isn't just him. There are many people who have not been able to run the demo despite having powerful machines. It's pretty hard to be supportive of a game you can't play because of a bug.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 03-01-2009 at 12:35.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    I wouldn't say it was slander. I've heard much worse coming from people on these forums, and often without any real justification. Vuk has genuine issues, and I think I would be annoyed if I couldn't run the game.

It isn't just him. There are many people who have not been able to run the demo despite having powerful machines. It's pretty hard to be supportive of a game you can't play because of a bug.
    Greetings Sir Beane,

Slander is the correct word, because it's not true CA's work is at fault if said lap top freezes. Also I feel the meaning of slander is lost on this modern generation, a new dictionary would prob state is as an outright lie, or unjustified claim, where as an old dictionary would have it as casting negative light upon something, whether it's true or not!

I am aware of some people's high end new rigs having problems(mines one to, although very slightly) and a brand new game may well cause the driver suites for ATi and Nvidia to requie some love, this is norm, surely. Look at all the new fixes the lastest driver address.

Now whilst I am sympathetic to VuK's plight, freezing up issues are clearly his problem, and the ignorant might well be put of from buying a game, that people say is bugged to the point it will make your PC freeze.

Lap tops are known to be poor gaming rigs.
    Calm the heck down, it is not slander. Sure it is a laptop, but it is a darned good one. Crysis is the only game that I cannot run smoothly on relatively good graphics. So yes, it CAN be CA's faul. I am not a CA hater, and I admire their hard work, but if a game has a problem, then it has a darned problem. CA should fix it, and I will buy their game if they do. If not, then I will simply not buy the game.

Also I feel the meaning of slander is lost on this modern generation
    Oh man did that make me laugh, clearly you have not met the modern generation

I'm lucky if the modern generation of americans can tell me who fought at bunker hill, let alone what slander means

In 3 days we will finally see if it is the biggest smash or the biggest flop of all time.
    Slight exaggeration when you consider the other games out there..

But more to the point I doubt anyone will be disappointed. So far it's received a meta score of 93 at metacritic.com which has placed it in the top 10 games for pc for now anyway.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Actually since I don't care for Dawn of War II and this is the only other solid pc only title coming out till June I can think of. This probably will be my game of the year for pc

Greetings Sir Beane,

Slander is the correct word, because it's not true CA's work is at fault if said lap top freezes. Also I feel the meaning of slander is lost on this modern generation, a new dictionary would prob state is as an outright lie, or unjustified claim, where as an old dictionary would have it as casting negative light upon something, whether it's true or not!

I am aware of some people's high end new rigs having problems(mines one to, although very slightly) and a brand new game may well cause the driver suites for ATi and Nvidia to requie some love, this is norm, surely. Look at all the new fixes the lastest driver address.

Now whilst I am sympathetic to VuK's plight, freezing up issues are clearly his problem, and the ignorant might well be put of from buying a game, that people say is bugged to the point it will make your PC freeze.
    Digby, I do not want to argue it with you. My PC randomly freezing with it when I have the latest drivers and can play every other darned game out there is a serious problem, and one that I do not see how can be mine. My computer should be able to run it fine, and should not freeze. And now I am getting the feeling that you are a shill...

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    Slight exaggeration when you consider the other games out there..

But more to the point I doubt anyone will be disappointed. So far it's received a meta score of 93 at metacritic.com which has placed it in the top 10 games for pc for now anyway.
    I was talking about relative to my expectations.

Blog Entries

Well I wouldnt worry about it unless the actual game freezes on wendsday.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Well I wouldnt worry about it unless the actual game freezes on wendsday.
    If the game comes out and it works, I will buy it first thing. I am just not gonna waste my time otherwise. I posted this thread to appeal to serious people to tell me if those things have seriously been addressed. (not screaming fanboys like Digby who seem determined say naught but praise whatever reality dictates to the contrary)

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Gentlemen,

While no one has yet quite crossed the line into flaming/personal attacks, there have been a few posts that have come close. Please dial it back a little.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

-=LotU=- Battalion Commander Member yankeefan05's Avatar

I cant wait for this to come out. Definitely it should be more "stable" than the demo.

If the game comes out and it works, I will buy it first thing.
    How are you going to determine that ETW won't freeze on your computer without buying it?

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D View Post
    How are you going to determine that ETW won't freeze on your computer without buying it?
    I was wondering that too. Perhaps you can post your full specs to see if people around here have something similar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast