Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SW: The lands of Asai Sukemasa

Default SW: The lands of Asai Sukemasa

The lands of Asai Sukemasa circa 1467

The year is 1467 and all of Japan has been torn apart by civil war. There are ambitious Daimyos intent on unifying all of Japan and those that are focused on holding on to what they have. Sukemasa is one of the latter... for now.

The following year my emissary is successful in sealing an alliance with Lord Hosokawa. Let us hope that this holds for a while.

Lord Oda has requested an alliance. I have some forbodings... though for now such an alliance could be advantageous.

Hisamasa-chan comes of age. I have my reservations about sending him out into battle so soon.

(It's early days yet but I'm going to see how this one goes for a while.)
    Last edited by caravel; 03-01-2009 at 17:59.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Default Re: SW: The lands of Asai Sukemasa

Very nice.
    A difficult starting position. Good luck.

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

challenges will abound.
    Difficult position.
    I am most interested to see how it turns out.

The lands of Asai Sukemasa circa 1482 - The war with the Sanada

It wasn't long before some treacherous Taishos began whispering against the Lord Asai...

The treacherous Sanada clan invade... there is no option for the Lord but to retreat to the castle.

The following year Hisamasa relieves the siege.

Sukemasa now has the superior force and seizes the high ground, the enemy are soon routed...

The great lord has fought his last battle. He passes in his sleep this year. Hisamasa is now Daimyo...

The Sanada on hearing of the great lords death seize the opportunity. It now falls to Hisamasa.

Hisamasa sensibly makes for the high ground and the woods...

The enemy pursue but are driven off with great slaughter...

Hisamasa returns to the castle to confer with the Taishos on their next move. News arrives of the fall of Hoki province to the Mori and of the death of a great rival...
    Last edited by caravel; 03-08-2009 at 21:12. Reason: noticed yet another typo

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

I echo the sentiments of R'as al Ghul and Fagar - looks like a tough start.

I look forward to following this campaign as it unfolds!

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eeeks.

Good luck, Asai is a tough start.

Also serves as a reminder to get my own Honda update posted...
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Eeeks.

Good luck, Asai is a tough start.

Also serves as a reminder to get my own Honda update posted...
    Hello seireikhaan,
    I had completely missed your Samurai Warlords campaign and checked it out this morning.
    It's very nice to see people actually playing the campaign and having fun.

R'as al Ghul

Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Very nice, Agamasa! I look forward to seeing how your clan does in the struggle to come.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Just don't lead your army into an Oda ambush....
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

The lands of Asai Hisamasa circa 1492 - Trouble with the Mori

Our shinobi start a rebellion against the Mori in Hoki. The young Nagamasa travels to Hoki with his retainers and 120 Nodachi to lead the loyalist rebels. After winning in Hoki, Nagamasa razes the province and pulls the army back to Inaba. The following year, he invades Harima and the Sanada flee...
    Last edited by caravel; 03-08-2009 at 21:14.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul View Post
    Hello seireikhaan,
    I had completely missed your Samurai Warlords campaign and checked it out this morning.
    It's very nice to see people actually playing the campaign and having fun.

R'as al Ghul
    No, thank you for the work on a splendid mod. Easily a top mod for MTW.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

The lands of Asai Hisamasa circa 1514 - The war with the Sanada

Several years pass and Nagamasa grows weary of his father, the Great Lord's, reluctance to make war. The Great Lord has been busy establishing trading links and has had a great many of the Ashigaru busy constructing ships. The Sanada attack Harima again hoping to regain their old lands. The resentful Nagamasa to whom it has fallen to defend this province, readies his troops for war... again.

Despite facing Lord Sanada himself with four units of his hatamoto and his heir, Nagamasa and his men win the day.

The Lord Asai sends orders that Nagamasa should strengthen his position and hold out until more money, troops and supplies arrive. Nagamasa is disgusted but reluctantly returns to the castle. His trusted retainers urge that he levy more Ashigaru and press on to Kawachi as their enemies grow stronger by the day, but Nagamasa has other ideas, "We await the old man's money and then we press on to Tamba. The Oda scum are our biggest threat. Lord Mori and Lord Sanada are fools."

Word arrives from Inaba the next day that two lower ranking Taisho's have been found dead. Lord Sanada is suspected, but Nagamasa suspects that their killers are closer to home. "The Great Lord seems troubled...?"

To summarise: Wow I've turtled this one. On turtling scale we're talking "hibernating turtle". In all honesty though it's been a struggle from the start. I have had to execute disloyal generals and my Heir Nagamasa has 0 loyalty, but is the best general I have! If my neighbours decide to attack en masse I'm pretty much done for as I've little money to support any more units. At the moment I'm concentrating on establishing trading links to try and get the money rolling in.
    Last edited by caravel; 03-08-2009 at 21:16.

Iapan sheems verri carowded!

Thank you for making this effort Caravel! I would not win in such a position as that, and I shall be reading!

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

Wow! Life is sure not getting any easier in central Japan! Talk about a fine line between glory and defeat!

Possibly stupid question: Why is this is the MTW forum?

OK, worked it out. Sorry.

Nothing to see here.

That is indeed a hairy situation you're in. I commend you for even surviving this long!

Out of curiosity, what is your net income anyway? Just a couple hundred koku per year?

The lands of Asai Yoshimasa circa 1514 - The end of the Sanada

And so the Great Lord passes on.

His successor is a simple man with none of the great qualities of a leader.

Nagamasa, enraged at the news of Yoshimasa's succession as Daimyo prepares to revolt. His plans are cut short when the Sanada invade once again.

Nagamasa's men deploy around the temple, knowing that the somewhat fragile friendship with the Buddhist Monks there could end at any time.

The enemy prove to be no match and are driven off quickly.

Over the next few years Yoshimasa surprises his critics by proving that he is good for one thing at least...

News comes from Harima that Nagamasa has passed on. According to Imai Sokun, his most trusted retainer and friend. The lord died in the fits of a fever brought on by a wound he received while out hunting. In his last moments he raged and cursed at those who would bring ruin to the Asai Clan.

The Lord Imai has little time to get comfortable in Harima when orders come from Lord Yoshimasa ordering him to Inaba immediately. "This Daimyo is no fool" mutters Imai as he and his retinue leave the castle.

The late Nagamasa's younger brother, now in his 50's, is deployed to Harima with reinforcements. His order are to crush the Sanada once and for all.

Katamasa shows his worth as he outmanoeuvres and utterly destroys the Sanada army.

After a long siege, word comes that the Lord Sanada is dead and that his clan is no more. Katamasa's men enter the castle and begin restoring order. They meet little resistance is it turns out that Lord Sanada was not well liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is your net income anyway? Just a couple hundred koku per year?
    That's about it. It's slowly increasing with trade. I've had a few ships sink which have basically put me back in the red. Without the trade income I'd be in big trouble. They're a very difficult faction indeed, in a poor position and with low income provinces.
    Last edited by caravel; 03-08-2009 at 21:18.

Congratulations on your elimination of the Sanada! That was well done.

A pity to hear your namesake died, though. He defended Harima long and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    That's about it. It's slowly increasing with trade. I've had a few ships sink which have basically put me back in the red. Without the trade income I'd be in big trouble. They're a very difficult faction indeed, in a poor position and with low income provinces.
    Not having played SW extensively (at least not yet), how is the trade income overall anyway? Is it still ridiculously lucrative like in vanilla MTW/VI, or has it been substantially reduced?

I haven't looked into the trade income in any great detail, but it is significantly less as far as I can tell. It seems balanced in that you're always quite stretched. Battles are also very well balanced. I've take some stupid losses in some battles because I've overestimated the power of Monks and Nodachi. In STW/MI they would cut through YS like anything, in this mod they're not as effective, especially in the case of No Dachi which are best used to attack from the flank. YS and especially Naginta are better for engaging the enemy from the front (note I said "engaging from the front" and not "frontal assaults", which are sheer folly). Training/building costs are, I think, as they were in the original STW, which is a very good thing indeed.

Originally posted by Asai Nagamasa
    I've take some stupid losses in some battles because I've overestimated the power of Monks and Nodachi. In STW/MI they would cut through YS like anything, in this mod they're not as effective, especially in the case of No Dachi which are best used to attack from the flank. YS and especially Naginta are better for engaging the enemy from the front (note I said "engaging from the front" and not "frontal assaults", which are sheer folly).
    Precisely - ND are flanking units in SWs although they will still beat YS decisively with the charge.

Naginata work best in hold formation/position - even when they attack. Its imperative to use them in formation and in conjuction with other units a bit like the YS, despite their good morale.

YS have low moral (although this might change at late SP campaign stages due to the bonuses) and so they are optimally used sandwitched between other units (in order to feel secure in the flanks and not low in spirits by the outnumbering penalty).

Melee units in general work well if employed together in a line 4-5 units wide, with a staggered arrangement of YS and either ND,WM or NA - or any combination of the last three. In this way if charged by HC/NC (that can chew the swords) the spears will also engage and if with enemy melee units (ND,WM,NA that can rout the spears) the swords also will - getting the best out of both - strength in unity. Its also good to engage the melee line at once to maximise frontage impact and outnumbering penalty but remember to use the grouping/sub grouping available in order to regroup the melee line while the enemy routs (in case they have more forces or are too fast to catch so they ll eventually come back and might caught you piece meal).

Ideally once you brake the enemy in the main melee, let the cavalry loose with the infantry following in formation and in walking pace in case rallying pockets of enemy resistance form.

Nice AAR.

Last edited by gollum; 03-06-2009 at 20:46.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    I haven't looked into the trade income in any great detail, but it is significantly less as far as I can tell. It seems balanced in that you're always quite stretched. Battles are also very well balanced. I've take some stupid losses in some battles because I've overestimated the power of Monks and Nodachi. In STW/MI they would cut through YS like anything, in this mod they're not as effective, especially in the case of No Dachi which are best used to attack from the flank. YS and especially Naginta are better for engaging the enemy from the front (note I said "engaging from the front" and not "frontal assaults", which are sheer folly). Training/building costs are, I think, as they were in the original STW, which is a very good thing indeed.
    Dang, I suddenly want to play this again! Too many games I want to play right now....

OT: When you say the WM and ND have been reduced in effectiveness, do you find it to be a positive change overall? Or have they been nerfed too far?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    OT: When you say the WM and ND have been reduced in effectiveness, do you find it to be a positive change overall? Or have they been nerfed too far?
    To throw my in on the matter, I think the WM are incredibly mighty warriors in melee- they are easily the most technically efficient warriors in the game. They will tear apart any other infantry in the game. Of course, they get utterly shot to pieces by arrows, and a gun/cavalry combo can effectively crush them as well. Really, any cavalry can cause them a lot of harm if they get an effective flank. Personally, I think the monks are nicely balanced.

The ND, however, I have yet to get the hang of. Personally, I think they are a tad weak for the price- they simply die too easily to justify the 600 koku to train them. However, that said, they can absolutely be battle winners if they are kept in good reserve or hidden through forests.

Just a quick note, we did at some point redesign the province income as it turned out that the campaign was too difficult for the southern and middle clans to get by in contrast to the very rich northern clans.
    However, this fix/ redesign didn't make it into any release yet. It's a simple adjustment which I can dig out for you guys but I'm not sure that it can be used in a running campaign.

R'as

P.S.: Enjoying the story so far.

From my perspective I'm finding the incomes to be quite balanced. Being streteched is a good thing. With the added trade dynamic this forces the southern and middle clans to trade. If shipping were to be removed again however, increasing farm income in those provinces would be necessary. STW had income from alliances and the ports and trading posts income. I think this would have made a big difference to those clans situated in those regions of poor agricultural output.

Last edited by caravel; 03-07-2009 at 13:10.

The lands of Asai Nagamasa circa 1555 - The war with the Oda

Another Great Lord gone to meet his maker.

His Heir is seen as a careless and uncouth man. But in truth Nagamasa is a thinker and like his ancestor of the same name, he has ambitions.

Three years later after much preparation, Nagamasa initiates the most daring and potentially disastrous strategy yet...

The Oda No-Kami of Tamba peers outside one morning to see the bright banners and tents of Asai troops camped outside his castle. The castle hold out for 2 seasons and then falls. Nagamasa now earns some much needed respect from the Taishos.

Next mustering his forces together. Nagamasa places them under the command of his most able general Asakura Kagetoshi. Kagetoshi leads the army to Wakasa to meet the army of the grizzled veteran Oda Yurakusai. Kagetoshi has been placed in an impossible position by Nagamasa. With the bulk of the army and the survival of the clan resting on his shoulders he has no option but to win or perish in the attempt.

The battle is a bloodbath and all of Kagetoshi's retainers fall. At times the great Taisho himself can be seen dueling with the enemy, then for a time the men lose sight of him. The battle continues and it is a apparent that the Asai Teppo Ashigaru are having the desired effect on the enemy. Lord Oda's Crossbowmen and Yari Ashigaru begin to waiver. The Asai Teppo let off yet another barrage - the enemy flee. As the smoke clears some of the heavy cavalry can be seen chasing the enemy Taisho himself... but they lose sight of him. He must live with his own dishonour.

Finally the Oda realise that their Taisho has deserted them and fall away. The province is in the hands of Kagetoshi.

There were many slain and many good Samurai lost. Kagetoshi cleans his sword and mounts his horse, his only words: "prepare to lay siege"...

The besiegers are no sooner encamped when Kagetoshi rallies his troops to prepare for the counter attack. Yurakusai leads the enemy force with reinforcements from neighbouring Oda provinces.

Kagetoshi orders his troops to take up positions on the high ground. Knowing their strengths he positions the Ikko Ikki in the woods. The Teppo he orders to the front with the Yari Samurai and Ashigaru protecting their flanks. From the outset the Teppo score many hits, but Yurakusai is determined not to see a repeat of his last meeting with them. He orders his men to advance. The ensuing fight is a massacre, with huge losses on each side.

Eventually Yurakusai is surrounded in the woods by the Ikko Ikki and brought down. The remnants of the enemy run. Kagetoshi and a mere handful of the Ikko Ikki make their way to the castle to rejoin the rest of the wounded men and Ashigaru. It was a close battle indeed.

Meanwhile news comes from Kawachi that Katamasa has taken the province! Defeating a band of rebels that had been bought off by the Oda, Katamasa was now preparing to rebuild the fortifications.

Seated in the castle in Inaba, Nagamasa ponders his next move...
    Last edited by caravel; 03-08-2009 at 21:20.

Whew! Relatively speaking, that was almost an orgy of expansion, especially after turtling for so long. Assuming you can hold onto your new possessions (no guarantee, I realize), I hope your income situation has now improved somewhat.

Some nicely-fought battles, by the way. It's those close ones that make a campaign exciting (albeit nerve-wracking for the player)!
    Last edited by Martok; 03-08-2009 at 22:13.

Nagamasa,

I humbry besheesh you to prace more fannatashtic shtories here for ush to read-a them..

Blog Entries

Wow...

You are obviously more skilled than I- I have major doubts about my ability to win an attack like that with so many teppos.

YS, ND and WM are identical to STW stats, and tests show that the performance of these units, except for the turning speed, is the same in SW and STW. The YS is different in STW/MI only in that it has one additional point of armor, but this wouldn't affect melee performance. The perceived difference in performance in SW might be due to bonuses or penalties from the vices and virtues which wasn't a feature of STW or STW/MI.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

The lands of Asai Katamasa circa 1598 - The war with the Oda

Nagamasa passes on. His son Katamasa is now Daimyo. Katamasa's first move is the ill fated attempt on Yamashiro.

Kyogoku Tadamasa leads the attack. The battle is a close one with the Oda fielding a lot of archers it soon turns unpleasant. Eventually, despite turning the tide of the battle, Tadamasa is surrounded by the enemy and has difficulty rallying his men. The result is a rout with Tadamasa in the lead. Katamasa is enraged to learn of this great dishonour. There is some suspicion that Tadamasa may have partaken of a beverage or several before heading into battle...

The following year it falls once again to Asakura Kagetoshi to salvage his clans honour and mend the harm that has been done. Knowing of Kagetoshi's reputation the Oda army in Yamashiro pull out.

In a classic move, knowing full well that Kagetoshi has left Wakasa undermanned and vulnerable, Oda Nobumasu lays siege. The small garrison, outnumbered by at least one thousand men, retreat to the castle.

Leaving the young general Asai Ietsuna with 900 men, Kagetoshi heads back to Wakasa with 500 of the best. Once again the Oda retreat before his advance.

Puzz3D, thanks for the info and a great mod.

Last edited by caravel; 03-21-2009 at 01:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast