Thread: Horses

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Horses

I have trouble with people who say horses are dumb animals.

Why, a horse can learn a trick and remember it after the first go round!

Try that with most dogs! Try that with some People!

People do spend years trying to train a horse to do a move just so, and I can’t help but think that the horses are just making fools of those people. (watch me make this guy mad when I do it this way)

Horses learn to open gates and doors. Will open stalls to let their buddies out to play. Open doors to get feed…how dumb it is that?

How many horses have been taught to bloat when a saddle girth is being tightened? Most of them do it though, don’t they?

Horses are a lot smarter than most of us give them credit for, and manage to outsmart most people at least some of the time.

What most people call bad habits, for a horse, are just little tricks they have learned to tick people off!
    Others are from mistreatment or tack that hurts.

My horse knows when I am coming and usually sees me a long time before I can pick her out of the herd. Then she either chooses to come and see me, or go and make her self more difficult to catch. (never much more than walking off a few feet, but she lets me know just the same)

This is no small accomplishment as people are always changing colors. Horses don’t even see the same way people do and their far vision is mostly sensing movement, but some how she knows.

We don’t teach horses very much. Heck about all we do is convince them it is easier to let us get on their back and ride around than what ever other choices they can have. It is a lot more work to buck someone off than it is just to stand there. We don’t teach them how to go forward, they already knew that. The same with backing up, going sideways, and turning.

I get a kick out of people trying to fool a horse. What ever the trick, it only works once. If the horse chooses not to go along with it, it is the last time it is going to work. It is amazing how fast a horse can be gone when some one brings out that halter they were hiding…

I don’t try to fool my horse. My wife surprised her with a trick once and I am still trying to work that out.

I am afraid horses are like most people, they need to be shown and convinced that it is ok to do it…

I guess the one thing that can be said for horses not been all that smart is that they have anything to do with humans at all.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Horses

Some people, for whatever reason, find it hard to accept that animals have intelligence. It's not just horses who get the brunt of this. I watched some insane documentary about whether or not animals have thoughts and feelings, with several well-educated idiots making the argument that a zebra can't possibly feel fear or pleasure.

My best guess as to why people arrive at this counter-factual conclusion is that they are nervous about their own place in Creation, and feel a need to dis all other life-forms in order to reinforce their own specialness.

It also goes back to the great chain of being, a profoundly medieval mindset that lingers on no matter how counter-productive and useless it may be.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." — Groucho Marx

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Had several horses in my life, and they are very smart animals. My full blooded english gave me a lot of airtime to the amusement of the spectators, I probably hold the dutch record for taking obstacles without a horse, and I have broken many a bone because of him, yep that was my favorite Murachi how I miss you. But I could put a small child on it and it would walk very very carefully. Awesome animal.

I saw something some time back about the Munich Zoo’s program to reintroduce Tarpans and the Przewalski's Horses to the wild.

I don‘t recall all of the details but people from the zoo‘s breeding program visited a group of the animals a number of years after they were set free.

The animals would think of humans as not safe to approach in the area where they were, but these people were able to get close and some of the horses seemed to remember them and made contact.

Yet you read other supposed experts and they say their memories only last a few days.

Obviously these experts have spent minimal time studying the subjects of their expertise…

Mark Twain

Yeah, animals forgetting... WARNING brace yourself this is EXTREMELY moving.

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1638...uffelaars.html

That is the good part!

I heard one guy say a mule will live a hundred years just to get even…

Ya know, I can believe it…never cross a mule…

Mark Twain

Theoretically speaking I could ride a Zebra like a horse right?

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    Theoretically speaking I could ride a Zebra like a horse right?
    If that would be possible the Africans would have figured that out, I heard zebra's are pretty bad-tempered.

My favorite breed:

The Frysian horse, black as the night and only the English Shire is bigger. Smart horses as well, they were formidable warhorses, but the problem was that they really got attached to their riders and would charge unless their buddy was sitting on them.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    If that would be possible the Africans would have figured that out, I heard zebra's are pretty bad-tempered.

My favorite breed:

The Frysian horse, black as the night and only the English Shire is bigger. Smart horses as well, they were formidable warhorses, but the problem was that they really got attached to their riders and would charge unless their buddy was sitting on them.
    It really breaks down to the animals social structure.
    In order for a species to be domesticated, it has to be able to recognize you as a master or leader over it.

Horses are difficult to break, but once broken, they are usually subservient. Zebras don't break.
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 03-04-2009 at 15:23.

My kingdom for a .

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    It really breaks down to the animals social structure.
    In order for a species to be domesticated, it has to be able to recognize you as a master or leader over it.

Horses are difficult to break, but once broken, they are usually subservient. Zebras don't break.
    Zebras can and have been trained but they have a nasty temper and are difficult to handle.

The are looked upon as nonedomesticateable. Several other equines fall into this also.

Zebras have a heard structure similar to horses so over a long amount of time it could be possible to domesticate them…but they are so nasty no one would really want to.

Breaking is a bad term…many animals won’t break but can be trained. They really aren’t big enough to ride like a horse and wouldn’t last long in that capacity.

Horses are always trying to improve their rank even with humans. Mine is very dominant but trying to make her do something is much harder than showing her how and getting her to cooperate. Just like it would be with people…sooner or later they will make a break for it. But if they are willing they will always stick by you.

Mark Twain

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Zebras can and have been trained but they have a nasty temper and are difficult to handle.

The are looked upon as nonedomesticateable. Several other equines fall into this also.

Zebras have a heard structure similar to horses so over a long amount of time it could be possible to domesticate them…but they are so nasty no one would really want to.

Breaking is a bad term…many animals won’t break but can be trained. They really aren’t big enough to ride like a horse and wouldn’t last long in that capacity.

Horses are always trying to improve their rank even with humans. Mine is very dominant but trying to make her do something is much harder than showing her how and getting her to cooperate. Just like it would be with people…sooner or later they will make a break for it. But if they are willing they will always stick by you.
    Well, that's it. Zebras don't break. You can train them, but like bears they won't break to you. And that is the term for it, at least as far a horses are concerned.
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 03-04-2009 at 16:29.

My kingdom for a .

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    Well, that's it. Zebras don't break. You can train them, but like bears they won't break to you. And that is the term for it, at least as far a horses are concerned.
    Just not used to it, they did some experiments with a fox, in just a few generations it was a pet. These Prezwalski's are the oldest known breed of horses, and some think that horses (and dogs) were already used for hunting even before the neolithical revolution, that's got to leave a mark.
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-04-2009 at 17:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Just not used to it, they did some experiments with a fox, in just a few generations it was a pet. These Prezwalski's are the oldest known breed of horses, and some think that horses (and dogs) were already used for hunting even before the neolithical revolution, that's got to leave a mark.
    Selective breeding is how we achieved almost all if not all of our current domesticated animals.

silver fox

Perhaps a horse is descended from the zebra...

But a zebra is not a horse.

The species in general doesn't tame well. Instead people make zebroids.
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 03-04-2009 at 18:25.

My kingdom for a .

... I could not keep away from this thread..

In Australia, horsemanship always becomes an argument between people. Argh!

But I must say, you will speak for yourself FisherKing when you say so generally that, 'we', do not teach our horses very much.
    And mine at least are not at all like people, for they have inexhaustible patience, and I would hardly care for them if they were humanoid - even in personality!

I believe the reason why horsemanship is such a violent topic among aspiring horsefolk is either because both parties are trying desperately to show they appreciate the horse more than the other, or because both parties are trying to force their insufferable wisdom upon the other.

Thus, I am always afraid of entering into a discussion about them - especially when it is to begin with a complaint about people.

In any case, I am glad to see a rider on the forums.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I wish I knew how to ride. I wish I could afford a horse to! I have to settle for a pickup and a dog! Gah. I envy the lot of you.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    ... I could not keep away from this thread..

In Australia, horsemanship always becomes an argument between people. Argh!

But I must say, you will speak for yourself FisherKing when you say so generally that, 'we', do not teach our horses very much.
    And mine at least are not at all like people, for they have inexhaustible patience, and I would hardly care for them if they were humanoid - even in personality!

I believe the reason why horsemanship is such a violent topic among aspiring horsefolk is either because both parties are trying desperately to show they appreciate the horse more than the other, or because both parties are trying to force their insufferable wisdom upon the other.

Thus, I am always afraid of entering into a discussion about them - especially when it is to begin with a complaint about people.

In any case, I am glad to see a rider on the forums.
    I am glad to see you joined in Glenn!

I won’t argue about their patience either.

All I meant by teaching a horse, is that the horses already know how to do most of it.

We just show them a cue so they know what we are asking for…

Have fun!

And SFTS… I can remember when you could pick up a horse for about $35 in Texas…

Times change and so does money. Pickups just don’t have that touch of personality that a good horse does.

Mark Twain