Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Violent people

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Question Violent people

Lately I have been having a serious conflict with one of my classmates, which I will not discuss here in detail, but since I am out of ideas on how to deal with the person, I'm looking for alternative ideas, how do you guys take care of these interesting problems. Full out fighting would result in expulsion so i'm not even considering that.

So how do you handle it when you receive a punch in the face and then an honest "I don't regret at all what I have done" in your face afterwards? Note: this person does not understand what "leave me alone please" is.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 03-03-2009 at 15:17.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Violent people

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Lately I have been having a serious conflict with one of my classmates, which I will not discuss here in detail, but since I am out of ideas on how to deal with the person, I'm looking for alternative ideas, how do you guys take care of these interesting problems. Full out fighting would result in expulsion so i'm not even considering that.

So how do you handle it when you receive a punch in the face and then an honest "I don't regret at all what I have done" in your face afterwards? Note: this person does not understand what "leave me alone please" is.
    Any ideas?
    Wait for him outside school and THEN get into a fight.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Yes, a frontal punch right on the chin (90 degrees you have to slap the jaw back) will knock out everybody unless he's wearing a bit, brain can't handle it and just shuts down. Another precision instrument, when you give a push, push upward with your palms. You want the area where the arm and chest connect right under the chest muscles, won't be able to use his arms for a few minutes, practise with a friend so you will know the spot. 99% of martial arts is absolute nonsense, these two are a 100% victory no matter how big someone is, best way to deal with agression is being even more agressive

Full out fighting would result in expulsion so i'm not even considering that.

it wouldn't be much of a fight trust me.

And do you really think this guy is going to do the boohooohooo at the principles office?
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-03-2009 at 15:49.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Any ideas?
    If direct conflict is unworkable, I have only one word for you: Allies.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Boarding school, yes?

Shave his eyebrows and hair off while hes sleeping. Or mint toothpaste in his hair. I had that done to me at camp, it burns.

If you want to put him off you, in addition to Fragony's advice, I've always found a punch to the nose works. Eyes water up and you can just push him away and walk away while telling him to piss off or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Any ideas?
    make allies, avoid the guy, and fight outside school.

I had a run in with people like him; one encounter ended with the bully having a pen jabbed into his shoulder...

and if he attacks you in school, don't fight back, but get it to happen in sight of the teacher..you'll end up with a bruise, but you won't be kicked out for fighting-he will.

otherwise I really hate to fight, mostly because that kind of product is typical of a fight(blood)
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sneak into his room at night, when he's asleep.

Apply rubber cement all across his hands, then tickle his nose.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Sneak into his room at night, when he's asleep.

Apply rubber cement all across his hands, then tickle his nose.
    doch! why didn't I think of that

lot less bloody.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Yeah, I got the impression that direct physical violence was out of the question. This was the hint:

So as much fun as it is to bop a bully on the nose and send him home crying, that's not an option.

Once again: Allies.
    Last edited by Lemur; 03-03-2009 at 16:31.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    If you want to put him off you, in addition to Fragony's advice, I've always found a punch to the nose works. Eyes water up and you can just push him away and walk away while telling him to piss off or something.
    Yeah but that's not going to keep him away. There is nothing like flooring someone with a single hit he will think Edyz is Hercules reincarnation himself showing a mere mortal it's place in the way of things. Guy sounds like a complete asshole he probably does it to other people as well. Nothing like a bit of humiliation, never listen to your mother when it comes to MANLY issues.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Find an old Chinese man to teach you karate. Or alternatively, just snitch snitch snitch. Make him know if he touches you he'll be straight out the school.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

get mace.
    or brass knuckles with the engraving "haha" in it.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Yes, a frontal punch right on the chin (90 degrees you have to slap the jaw back) will knock out everybody unless he's wearing a bit, brain can't handle it and just shuts down. Another precision instrument, when you give a push, push upward with your palms. You want the area where the arm and chest connect right under the chest muscles, won't be able to use his arms for a few minutes, practise with a friend so you will know the spot. 99% of martial arts is absolute nonsense, these two are a 100% victory no matter how big someone is, best way to deal with agression is being even more agressive

it wouldn't be much of a fight trust me.

And do you really think this guy is going to do the boohooohooo at the principles office?
    Sorry Frag, but I consider this very bad advice. First of all, Edyz is completely right that a physical confrontation should be avoided unless completely necassary. Second of all, as a guy who has been in LOTS of pretty serious brawls with plenty of pretty able people, who has been a victim of random attack, and who has studied martial arts for years, I take offence with what you said about martial arts. Most martial arts are only as good as these three dependent factors:
    1. What they are meant for. If it is Taekwondo, then it is not gonna be good for selfdefense, it is a bloody combat sport for heaven's sake. If it is Hapkido, or Taijichuan, then it is gonna be good for practical situations and serious fights, but no good as a combat sport. Also keep in mind that most martial arts are above all a way of life.
    2. The instructor teaching them/the school in which they are taught. There are very few good and truely qualified instructors out there who teach martial arts for their true purpose.
    3. The student. If the student sucks, so will the martial art. If the student has misconceptions about the martial art, he will not be able to use it in an effective way.

Keep in mind also that martial arts just add tools to your tool box. You have to practice and be familiar with your tools, so that you know the right ones to use at the right times, and how best to use them. I do not mean to rag on you too much Frag, but such an umbrella statement is highly inaccurate. If you said combat sports do not adequately prepare one to defend onesself in a real life attack, then I would agree.

Any ideas?

Edyz, my best advice would be to avoid a fight if you can. A fight will probably only make things worse. On the other hand, if you need to defend yourself, do so, but only do what you need to defend yourself. When someone punches you in the face and you do nothing at all, then they think of you as a *****. Bullies have a very one track mind, and if they think that they can push you around, they will.
    I am not suggesting that you attack him, but from what you have told me, I think you have two options next time he tries that:
    1. Do not be afraid to report him, encourage witnesses, and even consider pursuing him legally. Bullies use people's fear of being called cowards to control them, the cruel irony being that they then become cowards under the bully's control.
    2. Physically do what it take to avoid the hit, get him away from, and let him know that he cannot attack you without consequences. If you are surrounded by his friends, you do not want to get into a physical confrontation with him. If you can ward his attack or counter with a crippling attack of your own, then tell him to **** off and leave you alone.

I would tell you as general advice to stop hanging around with, and try to avoid being in the same places as him if possible. Also, try to be around friends or aqquaintances of your own more. Also, if possible, stay in public areas and around authority figures.
    It is not being a coward Edyz, it is being smart. I have been in plenty of fights in my pretty short life, and got the better of most of them, but if I could change the way things happen, I would not have been in any. I have gotten smarter lately as I have taken martial arts more seriously, and haven't been in a fight for 2 and a half years.
    Last edited by Lemur; 03-03-2009 at 18:51. Reason: Profanity.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Hate is never conquered by hate.

Hate is only conquered by compassion.

This is an eternal rule.

-Siddharta Gautama

=================

Find an old Chinese man to teach you karate.
    Karate is Japanese >:| In any other case, just don't go into direct conflict; this won't change his opinion of you. It might end the conflict, at least temporarily.

EDIT: Vuk probably said everything I wanted to say.
    Last edited by Hax; 03-03-2009 at 16:58.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Hate is never conquered by hate.

Hate is only conquered by compassion.

This is an eternal rule.

-Siddharta Gautama
    Good luck with that.

@Vuk, the only martial arts I have found to be of any use is kickboxing because you need to be able to take a hit, I have a brown belt in jiu jitsu, failed for black and stopped trying it's useless it's a dance apart from the nasty stuff, and that nasty stuff needs no skill you just have to know where to hit. A kickboxer will absolutely annihilate anyone proficient in the oriental stuff unless they know judo and kickboxing, good combo but jiu jitsu is kinda judo where you get to hit people. If someone with a black belt in karate wants to take me on in a real fight, I wish him best of luck.

Good luck with that.
    Happens to be the only religion which hasn't caused any violence throughout its 2000+ years of history.

@Vuk, the only martial arts I have found to be of any use is kickboxing because you need to be able to take a hit, I have a brown belt in jiu jitsu, failed for black and stopped trying it's useless it's a dance apart from the nasty stuff, and that nasty stuff needs no skill you just have to know where to hit. A kickboxer will absolutely annihilate anyone proficient in the oriental stuff unless they know judo and kickboxing, good combo but jiu jitsu is kinda judo where you get to hit people. If someone with a black belt in karate wants to take me on in a real fight, I wish him best of luck.
    lol, a kickboxer is almost just like a Taekwondoist. They will both teach you to take a hit well, but they have the exact same problem, when a fight gets up close, they just cannot do anything. The same school here in Hungary that does Taekwondo also teaches kick-boxes (just to demonstrate the similarities), I may take some and see if I like it. You have to remember that kick-boxing was based heavily on the oriental Korean and Japanese kicking techniques, with only the punches coming from western fighting.
    The practical martial arts are the different styles of Gong Fu. Yang Style Taijichuan I have found to be the most useful and practical of all the Gong Fu styles. They teach you not how to attack someone else, but what to do if you are attacked. A good Taijichuanist would kick the ass of a kickboxer or a Taekwondoist. (actually, my Taijichuan instructor originally took Taekwondo, as did I :P) Common brawling techniques work, which is why they are used, but taijichuan not only refines them, but teaches your body how to use them and many more advanced techniques, and conditions your mind to respond in a real life situation. It is not like Taekwondo or kickboxing that you can get a working knowledge of in half a year though, Taijichuan takes years to learn.
    I think that you are caught up in the do a million fancy kicks and flips a second thing :P. Real martial arts (such as Taijichuan) teach you to use the simplist and most direct techniques whenever possible, but also have more advanced techniques for when they are not. A good Taijichuanist will simply push his opponent away and run if he has the chance.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Happens to be the only religion which hasn't caused any violence throughout its 2000+ years of history.
    lol, anyone can use any religion they want as an excuse for violence if it does not preach total and uncoditional peace even when being attacked. That does not mean that the other religions are wrong, it just means that they have been exploited by wackos.

lol, anyone can use any religion they want as an excuse for violence if it does not preach total and uncoditional peace even when being attacked. That does not mean that the other religions are wrong, it just means that they have been exploited by wackos.
    This is very much true and I said it in an awkward manner. What I meant to say that Buddhism hasn't ever once been used an excuse to attack other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    lI think that you are caught up in the do a million fancy kicks and flips a second thing :P. Real martial arts (such as Taijichuan) teach you to use the simplist and most direct techniques whenever possible, but also have more advanced techniques for when they are not. A good Taijichuanist will simply push his opponent away and run if he has the chance.
    Just before launching a chi-strike, but I like how you like to think big on people being beaten up

Taekwondo is the same as kickboxing in that it really really hurts, by, I quit hehe. But there is a difference in kickboxing when close you give low sweeps on the upper leg (ouch) and in Taekwondo short kicks (also ouch).

Learn Thai Boxing and then when he continues to give you grief floor him. Seriously Thai Boxing is perhaps the most powerful and useful fighting technique you can learn as well as serving its function as a strong all over body workout.

Obviously you want to avoid a fight if possible but if you genuinely feel threatened it may be time to fight fire with fire. Half the time these people talk the talk anyway but when it comes down to fighting they wont do anything.

Just let him know whos house it is..
    Last edited by tibilicus; 03-03-2009 at 17:55.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Just before launching a chi-strike, but I like how you like to think big on people being beaten up

Taekwondo is the same as kickboxing in that it really really hurts, by, I quit hehe. But there is a difference in kickboxing when close you give low sweeps on the upper leg (ouch) and in Taekwondo short kicks (also ouch).
    but I like how you like to think big on people being beaten up
    Hmm?
    Taekwondo's main defense up close is jumpback kicks, but for a variety of reasons they are normally impractical and do not work, even in controlled sparring.
    I have never taken kickboxing, so my knowledge of it is limited, but I have fought a kickboxer before. When I got up close to him, he put his hands over his head crumpled. :P Heck, even Taekwondo has better defenses than that. :P Seriously though, Taijichuan is as straight forward and brutal as any martial art could be, that is why it is most effective. It teaches anyone (even the weakest of people) to use their full body strength agains the localised energy of an assailant, and use it to defeat him. I am a big guy (265lb now, but I put on some weight. Probably 230-240 without it), and I got a lot of weight to throw around, but a boxing punch with my arm a little of my waist could not even hope of defeating a 150lb taijichuanist who is using his entire body plus my own weight against me.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Violent people

LOL martial arts eggsperts itt

Come disco, shall we fight?

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post

Nah, just people with a general knowledge and a little experience.

I would like to know why so many posters are ignoring edyzmedieval's stipulation that all-out combat is not an option. I take that sort of thing at face value, trusting others to understand their own situation better than I can.

Has edyzmedieval provoked the sleeping tiger of Frontroom marial arts? Why so few non-violent suggestions?

-edit-

And for the record, I studied Judo and did a fair bit of boxing in my time, and I've probably been in more real fights than a white-boy American should ever have gotten into. I've knocked others out and been knocked out myself. (A memorable experience, going to the emergency room afterward to get the splinters out of my scalp—I wasn't aware that ER docs were allowed to say, "Sorry, we're out of painkillers.") I'm no pacifist. But if a guy says "fighting is not an option" I take him at his word.
    Last edited by Lemur; 03-03-2009 at 18:07.

I am a big (265lb now, but I put on some weight. Probably 230-240 without it), and I got a lot of weight to throw around
    Ok I don't do wookies

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Nah, just people with a general knowledge and a little experience.
    Nah, just some really big egos and some good and really bad advice.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I would like to know why so many posters are ignoring edyzmedieval's stipulation that all-out combat is not an option. I take that sort of thing at face value, trusting others to understand their own situation better than I can.

Has edyzmedieval provoked the sleeping tiger of Frontroom marial arts? Why so few non-violent suggestions?

-edit-

And for the record, I studied Judo and did a fair bit of boxing in my time, and I've probably been in more real fights than a white-boy American should ever have gotten into. I've knocked others out and been knocked out myself. (A memorable experience, going to the emergency room afterward to get the splinters out of my scalp—I wasn't aware that ER docs were allowed to say, "Sorry, we're out of painkillers.") I'm no pacifist. But if a guy says "fighting is not an option" I take him at his word.
    lol Lemur, I gave him a nonviolent suggestion. I just said that if he has no choice and is attacked to stand up for himself if he can. I even said that if he is surrounded by that guy's buddies and that is not an option to avoid a physical confrontation. I too have been in much more than my fair share of fights (and I think I quite a bit younger than you too), that is where I have found that fighting is not the answer to everything. :P I got two teeth that are almost just stubbs that I had to have built back up, and have had quite a few injuries in my time.
    Ok I don't do wookies
    lol, it is not as good as it sounds, I am just really tall and have big bones, so I wiegh a lot more than I should. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post

Lemme alone, or do I need to kick you in the head? Solves all problems.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post

Too right.

Now to the main subject:

When in a forum we often forget various real world considerations...as for example age. Now prompting a 17 year old to pick up a fight...not good...more disturbing that some things I have seen in the backroom. Offering instructions on 'Zena-like' martial arts techniques...Potentially illegal.

Allies as people said. If that fails then you should consider talking to someone. Do not take abuse out of pride. Real life is not a film.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast