Thread: Hands on day report (Shireknight)

Default Hands on day report (Shireknight)

Hands on day report by ShireKnight on yuku:

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/44444?page=1

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Default Re: Hands on day report (Shireknight)

Nice! Good find Lusitani

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

By all means...it was a question of time anyway .

I asked Shireknight about prisoners and he said he didnt see any....kinda dissapointed with that, I mean not the end of the world but still......

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Here's an interesting quote:

While Mark was showing me out he also pointed out a wicked new trailer that is coming out shortly that is going to knock your socks off guys, he then went on to say that even though Empire is technically finished it isn't finished yet as CA are currently working on new downloadable content for the future that will bring even more depth to the game woo hoo!!
    Downloadable content? I wonder if it will be free or not.

EDIT: Ships can take ports. Fisherking will be pleased.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 03-03-2009 at 01:50.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

While Mark was showing me out he also pointed out a wicked new trailer that is coming out shortly that is going to knock your socks off guys, he then went on to say that even though Empire is technically finished it isn't finished yet as CA are currently working on new downloadable content for the future that will bring even more depth to the game woo hoo!!
    First a day one patch, now DLC? I'm starting to think CA is crazy! They are setting up some crazy expectations. Its becoming harder as the hours tick away to remain objective. And lest us not forget the promised MP campaign! Release day will be a crucible for my expectations... I do hope they survive.

Hang on guys. I gotta get some popcorn.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Here's an interesting quote:

Downloadable content? I wonder if it will be free or not.

EDIT: Ships can take ports. Fisherking will be pleased.
    Maybe they're gonna make Portugal playable (yeah right...) ...or the sharks lol.

Ok seriously...hmm maybe battles and stuff...dunno.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

The addition of South America would be nice.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    The addition of South America would be nice.
    I don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but possible DLC - Expanding on the Trade theatres and filling them with provinces?

Maybe this deserves its own thread: Theories on DLC possibilities?
    Last edited by Monk; 03-03-2009 at 04:46.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

I don't quite understand the need for South America. The vast majority of it was dominated by Spain and Portugal, and covered in jungle. There are no more native groups in South America to speak of, and Spain and Portugal were both not fighting.

Africa would be a much better choice.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Agreed. Africa is really the prime location for the nations duking it out and will inevitably lead to ww1 in some respects.

So I think that would be more interesting myself.

Well, maybe not interesting for those who are playing as England, but definately interesting for those of us who are playing as Spain, the Netherlands, or Portugal (when we learn how to mod it in )
    Marines never die, they just go to hell and re-group.

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

I am not playing as England. In fact, I am playing as the Dutch (After some Prussian world-domination).

My point is that SA is covered in rainforest. I don't see how you could possibly fight in that.
    Essentially, Portugal has a natural barrier against Spain.
    The Dutch also have a natural barrier against Spain.
    Both Spain and Portugal are at peace with each other, while the Dutch would have a single province.
    It would also heavily overpower Spain or New Spain, which already has a boatload of territories.
    There are no more native groups, all wiped.

Africa would be empty. Well, mostly empty, but the Portugeuse were there too. It would be a land grab, which is always interesting.
    Zulus. That is all for native groups
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

You know, despite the fact it's nice he gave a report was I the only one who found it pretty lacking in info?

I don't know, I guess the battles were really in depth described but I've heard about battles all the way since E3 of last year.

I'd much rather hear campaign turn reports similar to the AAR's or Sweden report.

With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

Sir, I must disagree with you concerning the "native" peoples of Africa in this time period. There were quite a few major powers in the "Dark Continent" during this period.

Ethiopia: Portugal had several tangles with them earlier in the 16th and 17th centuries before the fall of Portugese territories to the Dutch.

Benin: a powerful state on the coast of what is modern Nigeria (actually you can add to that Dahomey in Togo, Yoruba also in S Nigeria).

Asante in modern Ghana.

Segu in Mali as the successors to the powerful Songhay state that existed c. 1500.

The Hausa city-states in N. Nigeria.

Morocco was still and already a power, though not as much as at other times, but with great potential.

There were numerous other smaller (relative word here) nations and peoples who could put up a stiff fight if given the provocation.

Though it is unlikely that CA could or would do them justice.

Chairman
    My balloons -

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

That was a good read!

Nice info too…

I will do my speculating in the DLC thread

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Yes and if you are the British I'm fairly certain you will soon have something brewing with the Zulu (i saw that movie once)

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    I don't quite understand the need for South America. The vast majority of it was dominated by Spain and Portugal, and covered in jungle. There are no more native groups in South America to speak of, and Spain and Portugal were both not fighting.

Africa would be a much better choice.
    Actually ...South America is not just jungle...theres plenty of savanah like areas, not to mention mountains. There were some important indigenous groups like the Guarani and others that were a constant headache to both spaniards and portuguese. It is also during this century that most of the borders of portuguese and spanish South America got defined... and that means in most cases armed conflicts with plenty of natives supporting both sides. The 18th Century sees also the growth of seccessionism in South America, specially in what are now Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay...but not only...that will lead to their independence in the 1st half of the 19th Century...and by the way the brits were a constant presence in these conflicts. Just to point out that South America wasnt just a luxurious green "desert"

By opening Africa...and even though the major colonising efforts in this continent are a 19th Century thing...CA could easily get a few major potentates as well a an important muslim presence on the eastern coast. And no...no Zulu's yet...at least not worth mentioning, but the Dutch had a colony in the Cape and while there is the presence of several european trading posts, specially in the Guinnea Gulf, Portugal controls most of the african coast mainly through strategic locations.

Now Asia proper is of course a must, at least in what comes to trade. The same goes to what is now Indonesia where The Netherlands and Portugal had the strongest presence.

V.

Common, who wants to see Australlia as a gaint penal colony? You know you do

I noticed that they used The Command of the Ocean by N. A. M. Rodger, this is the book i recomended reading in the books thread.

It really is one of the best books i've ever read. (In fact the first quote in my sig is the introduction to the book)

it also fills me with hope that TW taht the naval side will be just as emersive as the land battles (even if they are a bit arcadey)
    ...whoever commands the ocean, commands the trade of the world, and whoever commands the trades of the world, commands the riches of the world, and whoever is master of that, commands the world itself..

"... it is a good thing to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." Voltaire, Candide.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006556106

I didn't mean that Africa had no native groups. That would be a bad thing. I meant that it was mostly devoid of European settlers, and would offer far more dynamic gameplay than two-superpower slugfest.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    Common, who wants to see Australlia as a gaint penal colony? You know you do
    I'm looking forward to it. Its part of my mod plans!
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

I didn't mean that Africa had no native groups. That would be a bad thing. I meant that it was mostly devoid of European settlers, and would offer far more dynamic gameplay than two-superpower slugfest.
    I didn't meant that you said that either, sorry if you understood it that way. There were plenty of strong kingdoms in Africa. And of course there weren't that many europeans other than at the restricted areas of settling. The major move to Africa happens in the 19th Century.

V.

What amuses me is how he says the game is a RTW beater. For me Rome was the weakest of the whole series so I would certainly hope it was a RTW beater!!!!
    Old warriors know more tricks!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Esteban View Post
    What amuses me is how he says the game is a RTW beater. For me Rome was the weakest of the whole series so I would certainly hope it was a RTW beater!!!!
    Interestingly in the gaming press Rome is often held up as the pinnacle of the series. Personally I would have said that was MTW however.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitani View Post
    I didn't meant that you said that either, sorry if you understood it that way. There were plenty of strong kingdoms in Africa. And of course there weren't that many europeans other than at the restricted areas of settling. The major move to Africa happens in the 19th Century.

V.
    Tropical areas should only be included if they are a grave yard for european factions. Imagine your once mighty invasion fleet halving in size due to disease in a turn. (really this should happen to your armies in the carribean as well)
    ...whoever commands the ocean, commands the trade of the world, and whoever commands the trades of the world, commands the riches of the world, and whoever is master of that, commands the world itself..

"... it is a good thing to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." Voltaire, Candide.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006556106

Quote Originally Posted by batemonkey View Post
    Tropical areas should only be included if they are a grave yard for european factions. Imagine your once mighty invasion fleet halving in size due to disease in a turn. (really this should happen to your armies in the carribean as well)
    Sure but neither South America or Africa are just jungle. And by then there were several european settlements in plenty of tropical zones.

V.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Interestingly in the gaming press Rome is often held up as the pinnacle of the series. Personally I would have said that was MTW however.
    Shows what the press knows. I think it's because Rome was the first 3d game. They love graphics and novelty. I'm with Don Esteban. I thought Rome was the worst and the only Total War game I didn't buy any expansion for. The game had so many balance problems galore (hi, overpowered cavalry in an infantry dominated era).

I'm with MTW as well. MTW2 wasn't that bad as well but still had some of the glaring problems of RTW. Interestingly, a lot of the gameplay frustrations I had were campaign map related and ETW seems to have overhauled it.

My point is that SA is covered in rainforest. . I don't see how you could possibly fight in that
    During the 18th century, there were a lot of frontier wars between the Portuguese, Dutch, Spaniards, and French, in the north and south of Brazil.

Brazil wasn´t an uncivilized jungle. :)
    On the contrary.
    18th century, some facts:
    1-By 1776, Brasil was the most populated colony in Americas.
    2-Brazil received more European immigrants in its colonial era than did the United States of America
    (700,000 Europeans settled in Brazil, compared to 530,000 in the United States)
    In 1700, the largest city by population in Brazil was Salvador, with 25,000 inhabitants.
    In the same year, Boston was the largest city in NAmerica with 6,700 inhabitants.
    Brazil wasn´t uncivilized:
    The domination of cultural transfer from Europe was almost absolute during the first two centuries of Portuguese America: the settlements followed European prototypes in structuring urban spaces and functions;in the principal centers of the coastal area: in Salvador, Recife, Olinda, and Rio de Janeiro, we can easily follow the development of arts from the end of the 16th century forwards.

By the way, the first military school in Americas was established in Brazil.-The Real Academia de Artilharia-in 1792. (West Point was established by Thomas Jefferson in 1802); one of the ten largest libraries in the world (eight according to Unesco) is the 18th century National Library of Brazil.

Tropical areas should only be included if they are a grave yard for european factions.
    Brazil wasn´t a graveyard for the european colonists!
    In Brazil, by 1700, the European population was estimated at 300,000 people and the North America population was estimated about 250,000.The Portuguese America was scene of mass migration in a succession of waves from the mid- 1690´s onwards.
    Read above.

Imagine your once mighty invasion fleet halving in size due to disease in a turn...
    Not at all, not in Brazil.
    During all the 17th century, expeditionary brazilian troops fighted against the Dutch in Africa. For instance, the well known armada of Salvador Correia de Sá in the reconquest of Luanda.
    Last edited by Lucidus; 03-04-2009 at 02:55.

French, Spanish, Dutch and Portugeuse.

That just sounds like a wetter and warmer and treeier Europe. No offense to any of you guys, but I think Africa should be made first if they even make the map bigger.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

French, Spanish, Dutch and Portugeuse...but I think Africa should be made first.
    Well, we are talking about empires/global empires, and the "usual suspects" are the British, Portuguese, Spaniards, French and Dutch.
    In Africa,South America, India, and FarEast.