Thread: Getai - Notable Heavy Infantry?

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Default Getai - Notable Heavy Infantry?

First off, yet another thanks to the EB team for such an amazing mod.

I am currently playing a Getai campaign, which has gone on for about 50 years now. I have gotten to the point where I have united the Thracian tribes and have conquered the Hellenes as well as taken a few Roman settlements in the west.

Mostly, I have been using my beloved drapanai to slaughter any armored opponents, which combined with komatai, komatai toxotai, and getikoi stratiotai, can form quite a potent force.

However, now I am trying to enact some "reforms" of my own, namely replacing my komatai and toxotai (to become garrison troops) with more "professional" troops to form a standardized field army.

My biggest need is in heavy infantry. Drapanai are just fine for flanking maneuvers, but they don't perform nearly as well in frontal attacks. The Dacian phalanxes do well to pin enemy troops, but lose more soldiers than they kill. And while conducting numerous tests in custom battle, I have discovered that the obvious choice, taxeis triballoi, can't defeat even Camillan principes, despite being about 750 mnai more expensive.

So, my question is, what heavy infantry are available for the Getai that can hold their own against other heavy infantry (meaning, dish out more damage than they receive), such as Roman legionaries (something to beat Polybian principes, perhaps)?

Sorry for such a long explanation for such a simple question, but that's my nature. Thanks in advance.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Default Re: Getai - Notable Heavy Infantry?

Thraikioi Rhomphaiaphoroi will chop anything at all into small pieces extremely quickly. They aren't heavily armoured (but they have a bit on, so they're not drapani) so screen them with longer lasting heavy getic phalanges for the longer haul.

Also the Orditon Agema (I think they are called) anyway the plainy dressed blue cloaked fellows you get from the level 5 MIC in the Getic capital will hold the line and kill a fair number of enemies, especially if you switch to the alt-weapon when attacking. Expensive -yes. Deadly-also yes.

I plyed a Getic campiagn with a "Northern army" from north of the Danube (Agema orditon, Ktstai, Tarabostes, Komatai agrianes, Getic phalanxes) fighting in Italy, and a "southern army" with the rohomphaiaphoroi, thrakian peltastes, thrakian prodromoi, triballoi etc in Asia minor.

The northern army could not be broken and suffered relatively few casualties (just as well, they were far from home). The southern army spilt heaps more blood, the enemies and their own.

Seriously, units vanish under the tender mercies of the Thraikioi Rhomphaiaphoroi.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Post Re: Getai - Notable Heavy Infantry?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Also the Orditon Agema (I think they are called) anyway the plainy dressed blue cloaked fellows you get from the level 5 MIC in the Getic capital will hold the line and kill a fair number of enemies, especially if you switch to the alt-weapon when attacking. Expensive -yes. Deadly-also yes.
    Yep, absolutely. They should always be the core of your infantry.

Komatai Thorakitai Stratiotai (Dacian Heavy Phalanx is another splendid unit, cheaper and more numerous (correct me if I am wrong) unit that has flaxes and spears. A lodi alternative to the previous choise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Seriously, units vanish under the tender mercies of the Thraikioi Rhomphaiaphoroi.
    Meh, they are marvellous attackers, but I would not use them in defence. With just 24 armour and 2 shield they are bit on the weak side when it comes to holding ground. Nothing can beat them attacking, however.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Thats... what falxmen do?

Seriously, you could just spam falxmen.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Thats... what falxmen do?

Seriously, you could just spam falxmen.
    Well, if you read the first post in the thread ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontline1944 View Post
    My biggest need is in heavy infantry. Drapanai are just fine for flanking maneuvers, but they don't perform nearly as well in frontal attacks. The Dacian phalanxes do well to pin enemy troops, but lose more soldiers than they kill. And while conducting numerous tests in custom battle, I have discovered that the obvious choice, taxeis triballoi, can't defeat even Camillan principes, despite being about 750 mnai more expensive.

So, my question is, what heavy infantry are available for the Getai that can hold their own against other heavy infantry (meaning, dish out more damage than they receive), such as Roman legionaries (something to beat Polybian principes, perhaps)?
    Then you would know why I did not put more emphasis on units other than the Elite Thracian Infantry. But yes, spamming them works just as well, if not better. However, it is not as interesting.

Oh, and to Frontline 1944: Cordinau Orca. The. Best. Sword. Infantry. In. EB.
    You can get them at Signidunum

Yes, indeed, I too have noticed the awesome killing capabilities of the rhomphaiaphoroi. However, one of my house rules is no more than one of these units per stack, simply because they slaughter everything. It's just as well, because I consider them more "shock" infantry than "infantry of the line".

You mentioned the Ischyroi Orditon. I tested them in custom battle (they're not available yet in campaign), and unfortunately, they performed below my expectations given their cost. However, they were always attacking with their overhand spears and not their longswords, despite my Alt + right-clicking.

EDIT: never mind my previous sentence. It seems that one must simply right-click to command them to attack with swords. Why do they carry spears, then, if swords are simply better?

In any case, they had difficulty beating Polybian hastati, and even lost to them in a few instances, so I can't really expect them to perform well against other heavy infantry head-to-head. And to have elites comprise my main line doesn't sit well with me (nor do the financial burdens incurred).

So, any more options? I suppose I just might have to rely on the Dacian heavy phalanxes, though they aren't exactly what I had in mind.

Aemilius Paulus: the best sword infantry, you say? And to think, I haven't even bothered to develop Signidunum because of ignorance. If factional troops won't supply my specific needs, I might as well turn to other resources.

I appreciate the replies. :)
    Last edited by DaciaJC; 03-03-2009 at 03:59.
    + =

I'm pretty sure Rhomphaiaphoroi have less than 24 armor. Unless they are elephants.

And I counter your Cordinau with Rycalawre and Lugians.

Get your hands on the Scorsidorsi swordsmen. Amazing infantry, though few in number and expensive. You find them like someone said earlier in Singidium.

Cordinau Orca are plain insane. I frequently use them as flankers for my Rhomps and I gotta say, they're tough as nails. Heavy Spearment are THE linesmen for the Getai. They'll hold up against pikemen allowing faster infantry to get behind them, they're also great in the west. 2 units you WILL want if you hit the west, Boii Cingetos and Taxeis Triballoi. Cingetos do more damage and move faster but Triballoi are nigh on unbreakable making them indispensable out west. They'll hold off Principes and Triarii (the reform that give them chain mail) for a long time and give more than they get.
    Conquering the world with the Getai

From Aurgelmir

While the CO's are tough, they are elites and I think what the OP is looking for is line infantry.
    The Lugians are absolute killers, but again, elites.
    What I've found works extremely well vs the Romans is using Thracian peltasts as line infantry and draps as flankers. The Thracians are basically pricipes with a high-lethality ap attack.

Heavy phalanx, taxeis triballoi, and Thracian peltasts. Sounds good!

Thanks to all.
    + =