Thread: Miscellaneous Thoughts on Empire Eve!

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States, Earth

Default Miscellaneous Thoughts on Empire Eve!

Tomorrow's the day. Release day. I've had a bit to drink and am simultaneously bored (no ETW to play) and excited (soon ETW to play), so I hope yall don't mind me rambling a bit.... but....

I can not stop thinking about this game. I only hope I am not over-hyping it in my head. I am taking off work later this week in anticipation of a few marathon sessions. I thought about putting a new computer on my credit card just for this game (though recent tweaks and a bit of overclocking have enabled me to play the demo smoothly on medium settings... which I suppose will do... for now... especially since the full game is reported to be more optimized than the demo and thus run smoother... but for those that are curious: current is AMD64 3500+, 4gigs, 7900GT... almost pulled trigger on a Core i7 920, 6gigs, GTX260).

I swear I was playing M2TW a while ago, and was thinking how awesome it would be with a TW game focused on a later era with muskets, even doing the American Civil War.. and then they announced ETW! My jaw dropped. It's not the ACW, but it's damn close enough, and probably better... Especially the more I found out about all the changes, and especially the naval battles and the Road to Independence campaign. I am reallyreallyreally looking forward to dominating the seas with my... uh... seamen.

The reviews are all great so far. The few bad points in them seem to be subjective ones that I would consider good points (usually when a reviewer mentions something being overly complex I am instantly drawn to it like tornados to trailer parks). My only concerns (pathfinding in naval battles; and the effect of wind, or lack thereof, on naval tactics; the reinforcements system seeming like a step backwards; minor factions not being unlockable; some of the confusion regarding the logistics of this release, like the pre-order units) are greatly outweighed by the positives I read and see, and can be easily patched and/or modded post-release.

CA seems dedicated to providing post-release content. My mind reels at the thought of the expansion possibilities. Maybe small incremental expansions? Geographical ones, like a true South American theater that replaces the current Brazil trade theater? An era-based expansion into the mid-1800s, bringing with it new technology and tactics? Faction expansions, fleshing out some of the countries currently listed as minor ones (Like a fleshed out Portugal to go with a full South American theater, or bringing eastern factions such as China and Japan in to go with an era-based expansion into the 1800s and opening up Asia, or even the whole pacific including western US as full theaters)? Maybe they will go the Kingdoms route, and bring us the American Civil War and/or Napoleonic Wars?

The improvements to the AI so far sound incredible, from the content of the reviews, to hands-on reports such as ShireKnight's. Will VH/VH finally prove to be a worthy challenge through more intelligent play and not just production bonuses and sheer numbers of full stacks?

The new strategic options and conundrums due to how the campaign map is now structured, with outlying structures such as farms and ports that are independently vulnerable. Revolting states bringing about the dawn of new factions. Conquered regions joining together to form new factions (Like Prussia becoming Germany, etc). All the things that were read about in Kieran's Prussian Campaign Report (a must read if you haven't done so already! So well-written, and in his words, "no artificial ingredients"!). The campaign just seems like it will be so much more of a fluid and dynamic experience now!

That this is the "revolutionary" title akin to how Rome was to Medieval I, and, before it, how Shogun revolutionized the genre (or some might say even established a new genre). There's going to be so much new stuff in the full game that we haven't even heard about yet due to the limited hands-on time of the people who have played it so far! I love surprises.

The modding possibilities courtesy of the great TW community and CA's support of that community. Imagine a Rome conversion with all the new elements in this engine. Raiding countryside improvements, ramming ships in the Mediterranean, researching ancient technologies... the possibilities are endless, and drool-inducing. Or maybe a fantasy caveman mod, with mammoth riders, spear-chucking neanderthals, and log canoe navies!

I can't wait! Tomorrows the day! Are you as excited as I am?!? Do I need to add more exclamation points or do you understand how excited I am!!!

Share some of your miscellaneous thoughts, on this glorious Empire Eve!!!

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Miscellaneous Thoughts on Empire Eve!

Nothing more to say than I am very excited as well.

Also, I vote that this thread entail an instant promotion of Dogfish, for how well-though out it is!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

CA seems dedicated to providing post-release content. My mind reels at the thought of the expansion possibilities. Maybe small incremental expansions? Geographical ones, like a true South American theater that replaces the current Brazil trade theater? An era-based expansion into the mid-1800s, bringing with it new technology and tactics? Faction expansions, fleshing out some of the countries currently listed as minor ones (Like a fleshed out Portugal to go with a full South American theater, or bringing eastern factions such as China and Japan in to go with an era-based expansion into the 1800s and opening up Asia, or even the whole pacific including western US as full theaters)? Maybe they will go the Kingdoms route, and bring us the American Civil War and/or Napoleonic Wars?
    This was the biggest surprise to me personally. I'd heard rumors when ETW was picking up steam (as in gaining momentum, not the service! ) that DLC was a possibility, it looks like those rumors were dead on. I'm not sure what they have planned. New factions? New units? New provinces? The questions are limitless, and answers are few! The one that is most important I think is will it be free, and how much will they release at once?

The improvements to the AI so far sound incredible, from the content of the reviews, to hands-on reports such as ShireKnight's. Will VH/VH finally prove to be a worthy challenge through more intelligent play and not just production bonuses and sheer numbers of full stacks?
    I can't doubt that the strategic AI is improved. If the two CA campaign AARs are any indication at all what we're going to be facing then I can say I'll be very happy. Tactical-wise, well its good to hear from reviewers that it seems improved but I won't be satisfied until I get in game and try it myself. That's just the way I am. I desperately want this game to be good, but I have to at least try to remain objective.

That this is the "revolutionary" title akin to how Rome was to Medieval I, and, before it, how Shogun revolutionized the genre (or some might say even established a new genre). There's going to be so much new stuff in the full game that we haven't even heard about yet due to the limited hands-on time of the people who have played it so far! I love surprises.

The modding possibilities courtesy of the great TW community and CA's support of that community. Imagine a Rome conversion with all the new elements in this engine. Raiding countryside improvements, ramming ships in the Mediterranean, researching ancient technologies... the possibilities are endless, and drool-inducing. Or maybe a fantasy caveman mod, with mammoth riders, spear-chucking neanderthals, and log canoe navies!
    Clumping these two together.

I whole-heartily agree. No matter where the AI is (all indications point that it is a step up from M2, even if it isn't better than VI's.) the series has taken a turn for the better. I hope this AI is at least on par with VI's, it doesn't need to be better, I just want that kind of challenge again. CA has had an extra month to iron out the details, let's see what they did with it.

My copy unlocks (according to steam) In 29 hours. The curiosity and anticipation is killing me.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-03-2009 at 05:15.

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Random Thought: Really hoping the expansion is Kingdoms style. I want the American Civil War, Napoleonic Wars, Mexican War of Independence, maybe something in southeast Asia, etc.

I don't think i will be able to sleep tontie! its all i can think about right now!!....On a side note: I would also like to see a Kingdom style expansion( American Civil War, Napleononic Wars, Zulu Wars etc.)..i think an expansion lke this would please everyone.
    "Nations arent made by setting examples for others, they're made by making examples of others"

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Nothing more to say than I am very excited as well.

Also, I vote that this thread entail an instant promotion of Dogfish, for how well-though out it is!
    Seconded. Imagine the posts he can make while sober!

I was a bit disappointed with RTW, actually, now that I think about it. I had that free RTW from preordering on Steam sitting around and found that I couldn't bring myself to play it.

And I have a feeling I'd be a lot more productive and less prone to Empire-fantasising if you lot weren't around :)

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I pick mine up thursday morning...but I've promised to spend all thursday with a lady.

NOOOOOOOOOO.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Ladies are nice...but so is ETW such tough choices :P

I've been waiting for this game since MTW2 ended.

I was there when the magazine wrongly said it was coming out last march....that stung.

I was there when it got delayed.....(also stung)

I was there as we aited for demo....(owies)

It has been a long, long wait, I am glad it is finally here.

As for DLC, i'm just going to say what no one wants to hear. You probably have to pay for it. Every game company is going this way now. It's a easy way to add revenue with limited work. Once companies like Bethesda realized they could add small graphical and informational downloads and make money from it, it was good.

My question is how big or small will they be.

Is it going to be like 50 new units for 10 bucks? or is it going to be like the Napolean Download for 15-20? Full with new maps, units, factions, time, etc.

I mean they can do something as silly as Oblivions famous horse armor mod, or something as in depth and deep as the GTA or Mass Effect DLCS.

It will be something to keep our eyes on, and at least it lets us know this game will get more before the expansion comes out a year to year and a half later.

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States, Earth

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    Seconded. Imagine the posts he can make while sober!
    hahahaha

Thanks yall... I'm not sure though, lack of sobriety might help... maybe I should do more research.

Quote Originally Posted by quadalpha View Post
    I was there when the magazine wrongly said it was coming out last march....that stung.

I concur with these statements! But I think the wait will be well worth it. If CA thought they needed more time for their vision to be realized, then so be it.

As for the downloadable content, I have no qualms about paying for it, I'm confident CA would make it worth it. It'll be interesting to see if they leverage Steam to do more numerous smaller expansions, and charge smaller amounts for them, like $5 or $10 for each new campaign. They seem to be taking this approach with patches this time around... no more waiting months for the first patch!

I had to go make me a signature image in celebration of this night!

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polemists View Post
    Ladies are nice...but so is ETW such tough choices :P

I've been waiting for this game since MTW2 ended.

As for DLC, i'm just going to say what no one wants to hear. You probably have to pay for it. Every game company is going this way now. It's a easy way to add revenue with limited work. Once companies like Bethesda realized they could add small graphical and informational downloads and make money from it, it was good.

My question is how big or small will they be.

Is it going to be like 50 new units for 10 bucks? or is it going to be like the Napolean Download for 15-20? Full with new maps, units, factions, time, etc.

I mean they can do something as silly as Oblivions famous horse armor mod, or something as in depth and deep as the GTA or Mass Effect DLCS.

It will be something to keep our eyes on, and at least it lets us know this game will get more before the expansion comes out a year to year and a half later.
    I'm thinking most companies learned their lesson from the Horse Armor debacle. Mostly what it resulted in was a lot of negative publicity for Bethesda, and not a lot of downloads. CA will probably be keen to avoid a similar situation, and will hopefully offer reasonable content for reasonable prices.

The potential inherent in DLC is fantastic though. All of the things the game was missing could be inserted (hopefully starting with a Playable Portugal and an expanded map).

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

In honor of the fact we have one more day to wait, and the Empire Total war time frame. A little song from Les Mis which is amusing and a good listen. Plus some lines like One more day to revolution, fit quite well :)

Here are the lyrics but feel free to go watch it on youtube while you wait.

It's called

ONE DAY MORE

VALJEAN
    One day more!
    Another day, another destiny.
    This never-ending road to Calvary;
    These men who seem to know my crime
    Will surely come a second time.
    One day more!

MARIUS
    I did not live until today.
    How can I live when we are parted?

VALJEAN
    One day more.

MARIUS & COSETTE
    Tomorrow you'll be worlds away
    And yet with you, my world has started!

EPONINE
    One more day all on my own.

MARIUS & COSETTE
    Will we ever meet again?

EPONINE
    One more day with him not caring.

MARIUS & COSETTE
    I was born to be with you.

EPONINE
    What a life I might have known.

MARIUS & COSETTE
    And I swear I will be true!

EPONINE
    But he never saw me there!

ENJOLRAS
    One more day before the storm!

MARIUS
    Do I follow where she goes?

ENJOLRAS
    At the barricades of freedom.

MARIUS
    Shall I join my brothers there?

ENJOLRAS
    When our ranks begin to form

MARIUS
    Do I stay; and do I dare?

ENJOLRAS
    Will you take your place with me?

ALL
    The time is now, the day is here

VALJEAN
    One day more!

JAVERT
    One more day to revolution,
    We will nip it in the bud!
    I will join these little schoolboys,
    They will wet themselves with blood!

VALJEAN
    One day more!

M. & MME. THENARDIER
    Watch 'em run amuck,
    Catch 'em as they fall,
    Never know your luck
    When there's a free for all,
    Here a little `dip'
    There a little `touch'
    Most of them are goners
    So they won't miss much!

Students (2 Groups)
    1: One day to a new beginning

2: Raise the flag of freedom high!

1: Every man will be a king

2: Every man will be a king

1: There's a new world for the winning

2: There's a new world to be won

ALL
    Do you hear the people sing?

MARIUS
    My place is here, I fight with you!

VALJEAN
    One day more!

MARIUS & COSETTE
    I did not live until today.

EPONINE
    One more day all on my own!

MARIUS & COSETTE
    How can I live when we are parted?

JAVERT(overlapping)
    I will join these people's heros
    I will follow where they go
    I will learn their little ---- Secrets,
    I will know the things they ------ know.

VALJEAN
    One day more!

MARIUS & COSETTE
    Tomorrow you'll be worlds away

EPONINE
    What a life I might have known!

MARIUS & COSETTE
    And yet with you my world has started

JAVERT(overlapping)
    One more day to revolution
    We will nip it in the bud
    We'll be ready for these

Schoolboys

THENARDIERS(overlapping)
    Watch 'em run amok
    Catch 'em as they fall
    Never know your luck
    When there's a free-for-all!

VALJEAN
    Tomorrow we'll be far away,
    Tomorrow is the judgement day

ALL
    Tomorrow we'll discover
    What our God in Heaven has in store!
    One more dawn
    One more day
    One day more!

Damn the game was lying on the ocunter of a games shop here, but they just wouldn't sell it yet

But hey, I wouldn't be able to play anyway
    My Balloons:

Playing as the Republiek der Zeven Verenigde Nederlanden

The actual UP flag

Blog Entries

They might not be allowed to sell it yet anyway. Thats what I'm guessing.

I dont get mine until thursday.

Yeah, but these guy actually knew someting about games, most of the time there are older women behind the counter and they don't know anything about games....

I problably could have gotten one if that guy wasn't behind the counter
    Last edited by Wausser; 03-03-2009 at 14:59.
    My Balloons:

The actual UP flag

Blog Entries

Really?

All of the game store employees around here are gamers...you'd think theyd have to know something to be able to recommend what games/consoles to get.

Well it's a toys store not a specific games store, we have 2 stores in town were you can buy games, one toys store and one music/dvd/games shop
    My Balloons:

The actual UP flag

Blog Entries

Ah, bummer.

I have ebgames (owned by game stop, australian only franchise) and a new one Gametraders. They have lots of old games, going back to and past SNES and NES.

Beats where I'm at, we only have one store that sells games and they still have Shogun on the shelf as a new release (no i am not kidding you)

So thus I go with amazon

Lol I saw Shogun too in the Toys store, but then as a part of a box with STW, MTW and RTW
    My Balloons:

The actual UP flag

Blog Entries

Total War: Eras?

I saw Medieval 2: Total War Kingdoms slashed by $60 at Game Traders. I enjoyed the sight of it so much I actually took a picture!

No no, not ERA's, Shogun:Total War Gold Edition, in box. Seriously I am tempted to buy 5 and e-bay them as a collectors item :P

It's there along with games no longer made like Caesar 2 and Lords of the Realm 2

Along with the original Command and Conquer (not read alert, the one before that.)

They have every new x-box 360, ps3 and wii game that comes out but pc gets shafted.

I one time asked them if they get extra copies of anything. The conversation went like this,

ME:"So do you get any new games?"

Them:"Huh?'

ME:"New games....you know new." *Hand gestures*

Them:"Oooh...we get Warcraft expansion."

ME:"Anything else?"

Them:"What else?"

Which shows you the state pc gaming abroad these days.

Share it please

it was this one

I saw M2TW gold edition too in a sale with 2 games for €15 so M2TW+another game for only €15
    My Balloons:

The actual UP flag

Blog Entries

Yup thats about what I would have been paying.

I was talking to Wausser though Polemists.

Is it wrong to assume everyone is talking to me?

Shogun in my store sells for 30 american dollars.

It's a high priced new game

Blog Entries

Wow...thats surprising. Maybe you should go in and tell them that the world is past Pentium 2.

Blog Entries

My only thought this eve "Is that a chip on my shiney new monitor?"
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

I wish I still had Barry Lyndon on DVD to get in the mood.

YouTube will have to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfvCjLgbpy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30PGeCGLlC4

Even as an American who's really looking forward to Road to Independence, I just love "The British Grenadiers"

I hope I will see text in game. I didn't in the demo. I suppose I can't expect too much with a Dell XPS laptop, but it was strange to be able to have decent enough graphical performance, but no text.