Thread: Sleep Trouble

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Sleep Trouble

Lately I've been having trouble sleeping all the way through the night. Take last night for example.

Went to bed at 10 (I was tired)

Woke up at 2:39
    Woke up at 4:23
    Woke up at 6:02

Then I finally woke up for good at 6:45

I'm pretty tired during the day and it takes everything for me not to take a nap. Tips? Suggestions?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Sleep Trouble

Don't go to bed at 10, midnight is a nice time if you have to get up at 6, 8 hours of sleep is silly. Don't drink any alcohol 2 hours or so before you want to go to bed, when drunk you will fall asleep faster but you will sleep less deeply, UNLESS it's Fragony's knockout punch it has almost no alcohol and you will sleep like a baby, mint tea, tiiiiiiiiiny bit of wiskey, some honey. When in bed, read a book until you are tired, a good book is a nice way to clear the head, when I have trouble going to sleep my brain is a maelstrom of completely incomprehensible thoughts reading helps.
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-03-2009 at 14:41.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Lately I've been having trouble sleeping all the way through the night. Take last night for example.

I'm pretty tired during the day and it takes everything for me not to take a nap. Tips? Suggestions?
    I think it'll go better if you'd let Louis sleep on the couch.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Tips
    1. Try to go to bed at the same time every night. This helps condition your body to sleep during the sleep phase of your biological clock. Once this happens, your emotional disposition will greatly improve.

2. Cut back on coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Most colored soft drinks contain enough caffeine to keep you awake. Clear soft drinks such as 7-Up and Sprite contain no caffeine.

3. Avoid eating large, heavy meals before going to bed.

4. Deep physical relaxation can greatly enhance your ability to fall asleep when you want and to stay asleep once you are there. Follow these directions and you will become deeply relaxed. Lie down and get comfortable. Close your eyes and do some deep breathing to get rid of your surface tension. Next, visualize or imagine that you have tiny faucets at the end of each finger and at the end of each toe. The faucets are all turned on and all the stress and tension in your body is draining out through these faucets. Feel it happening as you watch the stress and tension running out of the faucets. Now, concentrate on your feet and imagine that the muscles of your feet are becoming as loose and limp as a cooked piece of spaghetti. Spend a few minutes focusing on your feet and let them relax. Don't try to make it happen. Focus on that cooked piece of spaghetti and just let your muscles go. They will relax. Next, concentrate on the muscles of your calves. Spend a few minutes there and let them relax. Then focus on your thighs and let them relax. Work up your body letting each part relax. Relax your buttocks, stomach, chest, back, shoulders, arms, hands, neck, head and face. As you relax each successive part of your body, the next part will become easier to relax. Don't rush yourself. Focus on your muscles becoming just as loose and limp as that cooked piece of spaghetti. As you do, your body will drift into a deep state of physical relaxation. If you are not already asleep, you will be able to drift asleep at this point.

5. Have a glass of warm milk about 30 minutes before bed-time. Milk contains L-tryptophan and that boosts the serotonin in your brain. The serotonin causes you to become sleepy and to fall asleep easily. L-tryptophan is also abundant in turkey and it's believed to be the culprit responsible for that post-Thanksgiving dinner drowsiness.

6. Don't use your bedroom as a place to work. It conditions your body to become alert and stressed instead of relaxed.

7. Avoid alcoholic drinks in the evening. Alcohol may help you fall asleep easily but it leads to erratic sleep that is not restful and may also lead to early morning wakefulness.

8. Listen to calm, soothing music that will transform your mind and body into a deeply relaxed state. There are all kinds of cassette tapes and CDs geared to help you relax and sleep. Try some and find the ones that work for you.

9. Take a warm bath before bedtime. It will relax your body and prepare it for sleep. Research indicates that cold or very hot baths tend to energize and wake you.

10. Buy a comfortable mattress and pillow. Being physically uncomfortable can lead to serious wakefulness.

11. Practice deep breathing exercises. It will help you be calm and stay relaxed all day and will help you fall asleep and stay asleep at night. Try this exercise. Lie down on your back and close your eyes. Lay your hands on your stomach -- between your ribs and naval. Now inhale deeply so it feels like your stomach is filling with air. As you inhale, your stomach and hands should rise. This is breathing from or through your diaphragm. Once you have filled your body with clean, fresh air, exhale and let the air flow out naturally. Don't try to force it out. Now get into the rhythm of inhaling and exhaling at a relaxed pace. Continue for five or ten minutes. Your whole body should relax and sleep should come more easily. There are some people that recommend you inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. It doesn't appear to really matter so do whatever feels most comfortable for you.

12. Avoid naps if they interfere with your normal sleeping.

13. Moderate exercise on a daily basis appears to help with normal sleep patterns. Just don't exercise within an hour before going to bed. The exercise will stimulate your adrenaline and will wake you up.

14. If you are still awake after 30 minutes, get up and do something until you feel sleepy and then try again. Staying in bed while you feel awake conditions your body as well as your mind to associate your bed with wakefulness and/or anxiety.

15. Once you are in bed and comfortable, visualise that you are someplace very peaceful and safe. You can go to what I call your inner sanctuary. To do this, you visualise or see in your mind's eye, someplace you consider safe and relaxing. It can be someplace real or someplace you just imagine. It can look anyway you want because it's your fantasy place. Now visualise that you are there and allow yourself to let go and relax. As you do, you can allow yourself to feel relaxed, to feel safe and you can visualize or imagine yourself drifting into a deeply relaxing sleep.

16. Establish a bedtime ritual before going to sleep in order to key your body to relax. Follow the ritual every night. This helps to condition your brain to sleep at a specified time.

17. Sleep in a well-ventilated room with the temperature cool enough to cool your body (60 -- 65 degrees is considered best for restful sleeping). Temperatures that are too warm interfere with normal, restful sleep.

18. Keep your bedroom dark. Light coming through our eyelids interferes with our normal sleep cycle by sending signals to our brain that its daylight and time to wake up. If you can't keep your bedroom dark, you can accomplish the same thing by wearing a mask over your eyes.

19. Don't watch TV, read or do any other mentally stimulating activities before going to bed. Anything that stimulates your mind should be avoided prior to going to bed unless you want to lay their thinking about what you saw or read.

20. Research indicates that sleeping on your back is the best position for relaxing. It allows for the deepest, restful breathing. At the same time, avoid sleeping on your stomach. It causes pressure on your lungs and results in shallow breathing. The deeper you breathe, the greater the relaxation.
    Tips you say?
    Last edited by naut; 03-03-2009 at 15:19.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

You're going to bed too early, I never sleep if I go to bed before about half twelve.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    That feisty frog

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

one word: chloroform
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

I don't have any tips, but let me just take a moment to sympathize.

Last night was the first time in two months that I've gotten more than four hours of sleep (About five and a half). I have no idea what's wrong with me. I bounce out of bed in the morning most days anyway, not feeling tired or anything. If I go to bed at midnight I'm up at 4 trying not to wake the wife up by rolling around. Eventually I have to get up and do something.

This happened to me in high school as well, but that was a long, long time ago. It went on for years then and all I could do to sleep more was exhaust myself utterly.

I have a daughter now, so I can't do those kinds of things anymore. I get plenty of excercise, don't take any drugs, don't drink, don't smoke. I cut out caffeine, which I never use much of, for about ten days and things actually got worse. I don't want to take anything to make me sleep, I've tried those things before and they're destructive and habit forming IMHO.

People are trying to tell me it's stress, but I don't feel stressed. I wouldn't really care except that it is definitely affecting my ability to concentrate and think clearly.

Good luck.

That one is easy you have ADD probably.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

From what I've seen it may be diet and/or alcohol related...

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Obviously this man needs more pork fat and beer in his diet.

My kingdom for a .

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post

simple: just count sheep
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

That still leaves the 4 women we picked up that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon View Post
    More Snack Packs?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Strike face it you're becoming an old man. The one thing you haven't told us is that you had to balance your humors each time you woke up. Consider getting a catheter, though that's a rather painful way to get a good night's sleep.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Could be sleep apnea, stress from school or work, medications or dietary supplements, etc... If it's becoming a problem see a doctor.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*