Thread: Austria

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Austria

Austria is one of the 12 major factions available for play.

Default Re: Austria

• Technology & Construction
    • Austria (especially the Eastern regions) is rich with farms, so develop the agricultural technologies first to upgrade them and rake in the big money.
    • Develop road technology and build the latest roads everywhere as soon as possible, as you have a huge territory to defend and marching armies from one spot of your empire to another could take years.
    • Austria has no colonies at the start, so focus on land military. Don't bother researching too much naval techs / building a large fleet.

Diplomacy
    • Always keep an eye on Prussia, they are far more dangerous than the Ottoman Empire and will attack Silesia in about 10-15 turns if you don't station a powerful garrison there.
    • Hungary tends to revolt and become a minor faction, so it's a good idea to keep half a stack of infantry there.
    • If you keep on good terms with the polish you wont have to keep much of an army in the north. A star fortress with ten infantry units can hold of quite a lot, plop one down in northern Silesia if you don't want to invade Prussia.
    • Make trade agreements with the United Kingdom and Marathas.

Early conquests
    • Put your hand on Venice as soon as possible, it is not hard to conquer them with a full-stack.
    • You should decide where to expand: north (Prussia), south (Ottomans), east (Poland) or west (Northern Italy or Germany). You can't expand your empire in all directions, as upkeeping more than one offensive army (consisting of 1-2 full-stacks) will sweep out the national budget.
    • Ottomans have no considerable allies at the start, so Serbia and Bosnia seem like easy targets, but beware, as they are relatively poor regions and converted to Islam. If you conquer them, exempt the population from taxes and don't recruit new units there to prevent local revolts and ensure growth. If you annexed these territories, consolidate them for a few turns and fortify your positions, as the Ottomans will probably launch a counterattack. Once you get to Istanbul you may well find yourself stuck, they seem to like placing a lot of ships there.
    • Spain's holding in the mediterranean can be easy pickings.
    Screenshots from the game

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Carpathian Basin

Declaring war on the Ottomans

Images about the Habsburg Empire

Historical development of the Habsburg Monarchy

Austrian dragoon:

Austrian Officer:

Austrians owned by Prussians in the 7 Years War

Austrian Infantry in the 7 Years War

Austrian Dragoons in the 7 Years War

Austrian artillery in the 7 Years War

Austrian artillery in the 7 Years War

Austrian artillery in the early Napoleonic Wars (around 1806)

Austrian artillery in 1809 (Aspern)

Austrian artillery in the late Napoleonic Wars

Austrian supply troops in the late Napoleonic Wars

Austrian infantry in the early Napoleonic Wars

Austrian infantry in the early Napolenoic Wars

Austrian Fusiliers in the late Napoleonic Wars

Austrian Grenzer in the late Napolenoic Wars

Austrian cuirassiers

Austrian light cavalry in the early Napoleonic Wars

Links:
    Wiki article on the Habsburg Monarchy
    Last edited by PowerWizard; 03-08-2009 at 21:25.
    Life is full of surprises and you never know what you're going to get until you get it; always expect the unexpected.

My own information, I have beat victory conditions on Long but not actually gotten beyond 1746 the current year.

M/M

The map:

Early on you will notice you are in a spot that is possible to be conquered from every angle. While you can expand in all regions (eventually) as the other poster mentioned you should focus somewhere at the start. You can play the game out as you want but sooner or later everyone will attack you, your biggest immediate threat is Venice, probably followed by Poland or the Ottomans depending on who you piss off more.

One easy way to ensure your people are more and less happy very early on is to make 75% of your towns into catholic churches and tech them up. This gives a conversion bonus, happiness +, and a priest unit. This will slow you down in the tech race, but will ensure that you can stay a monarchy for a long time, in a wide strech, with no real fears and keeps taxes around medium. (read more about priests under agents)

The Wars: (This is my wars with these nations, each player could have different situations)

German Protectorates, Wurt, Saxony, Hanover, etc. :

These states may look easy, small numbers of troops, one city,and financial gains. Be wary though, and check diplomacy before you engage. Almost all of them have a Protector at the start or ally. If you don't feel like starting wars with the Dutch or England feel free to make one or two a procetorate and collect 50% of thier profits until you can afford to take them out.

The Italian States:

The only one of real concern is Venice, the others may build up quite drastically (in my game Savoy takes out Paris) but by and large Venice is the only one who will go to Austria looking for war. They build up fairly quickly, and have a gigantic navy.

Prussia:

Prussia will offer you trade rights and usually you start war before they do. You can wipe them out but I left them do to not wanting to deal with borders with Poland, Russia and Sweden at the time. Usually if you take out the two provinces of the start, they will move to Courland and set up shop. Do not under any circumstances let them gather a large army, they tech up military fast.

Poland:

Waring with almost any of the german states early on will make you declare war on Poland. You can wipe them out, or save that for later game but they will never let you be, as the easiest city to take is Warsaw thier capital and they get desperate to take it back. They arn't to bad, if you've teched up.

Ottoman Empire:

You will probably go to war with them. The easiest way I've found to do this is during your war with Venice, finish venice off by taking southern greece. Give yourself enough to time to replenish then springboard up from Greece to Istanbuhl. Once they loose Istanbuhl you can get some rather lucrative items in a peace treaty.

Crimerai Khanate: When you face Ottomans these guys will also declare war on you, they have a big navy and will kill your sea trade. March a army north and wipe out the one small city they have.

Russia:

Russia is large but not nearly as intimdating as it looks. This is do the fact that by the time you face them you have taken out Poland. Moscow is fairly easy to get to, and the war with Sweden will have greatly weakened them. Be wary though, Russian and Slavic lands will almost never be happy with you, even with taxes fully expempt. Be prepared to keep a army to the north.

Rebels and Rebel Factions: Former Ottoman and Russian lands will rebel from time to time. The easiest way to handle this is to send in enough priests to make the population mostly catholic. 2 or 3
    provinces will get more and more and more restless as time goes on but that's just do to the techs.
    Remeber to wipe out the slav rebels quick, or other slavic nations will join them.

Diplomacy:

Dutch:

They start of your ally and more or less stay your ally. They have no real reason to attack you and you have nothing they really want. They do offer good trade routes though do to colonies, keep this open.

France and Spain: These two start off indifferent but usually turn hostile towards you.

England:

They can start a ally but sooner or later will force you to choose between them and a protectorate.
    In my case this ended the alliance.

India Factions (Mugals and Marthas):
    Oddily enough you can stay friends with these two a long time. I guess do to fact you own nothing in that region.

Sweden:
    A major power house, you want them as a friend at worst a ally at best.

Trade:

This is really up to you, but I found sea trade quite lucrative (7-9k florins per turn in sea trade) now over time your taxes will swallow that figure (35k in taxes per turn) so it depends on what you want.

Do get your sea fleets into trade spots early on though as they do fill up very very fast. If you don't have a Indianman ship in first 10 turns it's uphill.

Colonization:

You can colonize but this is a very curious cat and mouse game. Do to the wars in Europe you will at times have a variety of lucrative lands that other nations will want. Spain will offer new world territories for Venice so they can take control italy with Milan. France, will want some of the german states and offer you just about anything from Northern New France, to south american territories. Be wary though, Quebec will become a free state early on.

The new world is not as lucrative as you might think, total I only earn 2k a year from 2 capitals there. Still if you want a new world territory just for sake of having it you can. India is harder but similiar deals can be struck with dutch and english for land.

Sadly taking a army over and conquering is just not in your interest. You need most of your armies back home in Europe, even when you conquer quite a bit.

To follow this I now rule every island in the Carribean with the exception of Hisponala. This was all do to trading, I didn't have to take any of them. Sometimes techs, sometimes land. A very good if somewhat sneaky tactic i've found is you call sell away far off Russian lands that rebel quite often to the French, English, and Spainish in return for the islands. France seems fairly good at holding it's new holdings as do the dutch. However the spainish and english were quickly kicked out by locals and I simply retook the provinces. It dosn't make you any friends, but it works.

If you decide you want the souther lands of New America, to go with your carribean island trade empire (as I did) you will be facing the Pueblo and the Cheeroke who both field VAST armies, multiple stacks, even on medium who are not afraid to run down and take your cities which are undefended.

You can choose to take mexico and south america but those held little interest to me.

If you take Georgia and Florida you will probably have to take Kentucky as well. The english will Tenn, then you sit and wait to see who starts the New England v New Austria war first. The iriquois should keep it from happening until you want it to. As should the french if they are still around.

War of Sucession:

You have a king, he will die, a war will occur. Be prepared.

Agents:

Rakes:

Use your rakes wisely, I may write a agent guide later. Rakes are very very useful, if used correctly. They can sabotage which is a good way to keep smaller nations from building to much to quickly.
    Also they are useful for seeing the build up of a army before you invade a settlement.

Gentlemen:

While many say they are best for pushing tech forward I found them quite useful in stealing tech. France and England will out tech you, (Do to AI's anti tech trade policy only towards you.)

Priests:

This unit is not used enough honestly. As a catholic nation a great deal of who you fight is not catholic but rather Protestant or Muslim or Orthodox (Russia, Ottomans, Prussia, etc.) By building churches you get happiness without the annoyance of schools clamour for reform. You also get priests which will convert a percentage of the population to your faith every turn they sit in a city. You get four priests in a city this can be as large as 5%. 5% of 1.8 million is quite a few parishoners each turn, and more and more people that will not rebel against you.

Ministers:

Your ministers are by and large a mixed bag. All of mine got mistresses, no idea why. The other players are right, if they get below 2 stars, boot them.
    Last edited by Polemists; 03-10-2009 at 08:31.

hi is it just me or are Austrian line infantry weaker than other countries like prussia

Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
    hi is it just me or are Austrian line infantry weaker than other countries like prussia
    They are. The have lower accuracy, reload skill,melee, defense, and morale then Prussia. But they get 30 more infantry (120 vs 150 on medium unit size).

thanks thoght it was just me

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

They get 25% more men per unit, in all difficulties.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

My thoughts on Austria, VH/H:

As others have pointed out, you start in a tricky position; almost landlocked, and surrounded by strong factions most of whom have some form of historical grievance with you. Your empire initially looks quite large, but aside from Vienna, most of your provinces are quite poor and undeveloped.

One would expect the main enemy of the Austrians to be the Ottomans, but in fact I found they seemed like fairly good neighbours, being preoccupied with war against the Russians, and in fact I would argue invading them would be more trouble than it's worth anyway: Other than Istanbul most of their European provinces are pretty worthless, will be difficult to hold, and will take years to convert to Catholicism. It is also a dead end; building a fleet from scratch to contest the Bosphorus with the Ottoman navy will cost a fortune for little reward. Meanwhile leaving your homelands undergarrisoned will practically be rolling out the red carpet for the Poles, and there's no reason to deprive the Russians of such as convenient distraction.

As others have suggested Venice is probably the best place to expand early; it's not too hard to take, quite wealthy, and will reduce the Venetians to a rump state in faraway Greece. At this point in my campaign I was attacked by Poland-Lithuania, and withdrew my armies northward to deal with their raids, however I would suggest you do not; when I did this, I was then attacked by the Italian States, who attacked in strength on land and seized Venice, while at the same time sinking my nascent fleet and blockading my trade port. This together with the Polish raids put me in a very sticky economic position; I would suggest that when you take Venice, you take the opportunity to push on and capture Rome, eliminating the Italian States. This will make life in Italy much easier for you; the only remaining threats south of the Alps are puny Genoa, and the impoverished Spanish holdings of Milan and Naples, leaving you with three ports and a much safer position.

Regarding Poland; it is by far better if they attack you first. This will make it less likely that their allies Russia, Saxony and Couland will come to their aid. In my game they raided Silesia, Hungary and Austria quite extensively, causing a lot of economic damage. However, leaving a reasonable garrison in Transylvania seems to be sufficient to ensure all their incursions will come west of the Carpathians. This is good, since the narrow front line means you can mass your forces there and use your greater economic strength to overwhelm them. After dealing with their raiders, I pushed on and took Warsaw and Gdansk, before agreeing to peace with them so I could deal with the Italians. I then traded Gdansk to Prussia, a move I would later come to regret. Warsaw, meanwhile will be very rebellious and will take a long time to pacify.

Poland may look beaten at this point but as long as they still hold Lithuania they are still dangerous, as I found out when the war restarted a year later; I found myself in a very sticky situation when they simply bypassed Warsaw and went straight for my homelands, taking Pessburg and very nearly taking Vienna, which just goes to show why fighting a two-front war as Austria is not at all desirable. I eventually repelled the invasion, and after a few more tricky battles I annexed their lands entirely. This will leave you with a long land border with Russia, who will be none to pleased with you expanding at the expense of their ally; hopefully they will be to busy against the Swedes and Ottomans to worry about you but just to be safe I gave the a state gift and made a trade agreement which seems to be keeping them happy.

After this I turned to deal with Prussia before they got any more dangerous, an enemy who proved a lot more difficult than the Poles. Prussia definitely seems to be the superpower of Eastern Europe, able to spawn endless huge stacks of high tech troops who will quite comfortably outgun your more numerous but inferior line infantry one on one. I found it best to start by taking Konigsberg, its strong defenses proving useful to me in repelling the Prussian counterattack. There then followed a long and bloody struggle of attrition through West Prussia to beat the Prussians back to the gates of Berlin, a struggle which could have been made much easier had I not ceded Gdansk to them earlier. Knocking out Courland before attacking Prussia might also be wise, in my game they attacked from the rear, took Lithuania from me and forced me leave a strong garrison in Konigsberg.

That is the current state of my campaign, in around 1720; the Prussians are surrounded and on the brink of defeat in Berlin. My next move will probably to finally take the offensive against the Ottomans, to take Rumelia and thus fulfil the short campaign victory conditions.

Regarding troops, Austrian line infantry are significantly weaker than normal in accuracy, morale and melee ability, but have 150 men per unit rather than the usual 120. This means that your line will generally be longer than the enemy's, but also brittler. Thus it will be easier for them to outflank and enfilade the enemy, but you will definitely have to do so and make it count before your center collapses. My battles usually tend to take a rather odd form, with the enemy generally succeeding in breaking through my center, but being enveloped and overwhelmed on the wings, leading to a last stand in the center of the map with my troops closing in from both sides. Early on, Pandours are pretty useful to use to enfilade the enemy; the greater range, coupled with small unit size to form up in line quickly, help a lot with making your greater width count. I have also had good results with firing grapeshot down the length of the enemy line, devastating if you can pull it off. Alternatively you could opt to match the length of the enemy line and keep a tactical reserve to plug gaps; either way though, large battles are going to be very costly in men. I have yet to find a tactic which delivers victory without heavy losses in the center of the line.
    Last edited by PBI; 03-12-2009 at 14:54.

This will make life in Italy much easier for you; the only remaining threats south of the Alps are puny Genoa, and the impoverished Spanish holdings of Milan and Naples, leaving you with three ports and a much safer position.
    Be careful of this. Genoa is quite weak it is true but Savoy is not. I took over the Italian states and Venice completely. (even in greece) However I left Savoy and Milan alone. Later on Savoy developed in such a military power they marched on Paris. They beat the French and took Paris.

The smaller states can become quite powerful without compeition. Just be aware of it.

Good advice. I never had any further trouble in Italy until I took Milan from Spain in a succession war; my ally Savoy attacked me almost immediately, closely followed by Genoa.

Hence why it is a good idea to keep the Spanish in place as a buffer for as long as possible; the minor factions will be reluctant to attack them, but the Spanish themselves will be too occupied elsewhere to be interested in expansion.

My advice is to shoot for a republic soon after you aquire important provinces of enemy nations surrounding you.

I found it almost impossible to keep Poland under control even with a large military force stationed inside. Same issue with Hungary. A large part of the discontent was caused by the clamour for reform, since I am a tech freak and austrian is so stuck in the mud :)

1. Prussia will come. Sooner rather than later. Capture Berlin, move priests to start converting ppl to catholicism. Ask for peace. If they agree, replenish your army, rebuild and go after them. If they don't agree, replenish your army enroute to your next city target. Wipe them out asap.
    2. Poland - in my game they were a constant nuissance by declaring war on me, raiding various sites and accepting peace after i captured something. At some point, their allies decided to join and almost threw me into bankruptcy by cancelling the trade agreements with their allies.
    I destroyed them but was shocked to find Poland region rebelling every 2nd or 3rd turn. University there plays a role in this but I hate destroying schools, college, unis just to make room for brothels and churches so I let them rebel and crush their rebellions - financially wise is a disaster :)
    Together with Poland I waxed Saxony (allies of poland).

Constant riots, rebellions and wars drove me to the point of bankruptcy again. Noticing that my capital's hapiness started going down rapidly I set the lower classes taxes to high, moved away the garrison and waited :)
    Viva la revolucion!!! In 3 turns I sided with the rebels and Austria was a republic! TBH, a republic is the best thing that can happen to Austria. Judging from the +13, +14 happines I see in my cities, austrians are living in a constant orgasm ;)

First military act of the new republic was to capture Venice and make peace immediately with the venetians. Istanbul is the only province i need to finish the game but i am in 1737 or so and there is a lot of waiting till '50.

El Presidente is hated by most monarchs in Europe (well after I saw the little move with the succesful revolution, I can understand them:P ) so every now and then gifts go to some foreign royal courts (those who have relevance that is ).

Economy is running at full steam, science as well that translates into the ability to maintain a very large and modern army and still making 15-17k gold per turn. Yes, nothing - and i mean NOTHING - can prevent me from winning this one ;)

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default Re: Austria: Pandours

Despite their seemingly low stats, in an early Austrian game I'd suggest using Pandours extensively as a support force for the main line.

1) They are cheap/disposable with low upkeep (a very important economic consideration for a country with minimal sea trade opportunities).
    2) They can move on the battle map while hidden.

As noted before in this thread, flanking is critical given the weakness of Austrian line. Pandours make excellent flankers since they can move to the needed position without being noticed by the AI. One just has to be careful not to lead them into open meadows; they become visible to the AI on those, but on all other terrain they retain their stealth.

Taking advantage of Pandours' stealth I have also successfully used them to annihilate enemy's artillery without any reprisal.
    Last edited by Slaists; 04-13-2009 at 14:59.

In my Austrain Campaign, I've found very little resistence in the north with Poland, and the lands in the Bulkans, held by the Ottoman Empire are quite easy to take, quick to convert, and can make a lot of money if you focus on ag rather then anyother resource. The only provinces i'v had trouble maintaining the capital and the outlying lands in the middle east. Recently i've had some rebellions close to home and have had to pull back to take down the rebels. I sold some of my middleeastern provinces to Georgia, as they were to hard to maintain, and they didn't make much.

My first attempts to capture a terrioty in America have failed greatly. The indian melee infantry beat the crap out of my lines and I can never seem to get my pikemen to stay long enough in battle. The two engagements i've had with them have been very bloody, but i have won them, but only just. i decided to sell my conquered provinces to Great Britain to make a profit and then i bought territory from France in North America.

For now, its 1735, and i control most of Italy, I pretty much own the German states (they are my protectorates) and i control all of the Bulkans. Im at peace with every European power except Spain and France. They both have been badly bloodied by my allies Britain and UP, so there armies are meager at best, full of mobs and mitla. Its going to be rough outside the European theatre, but i think once Europe is stable, i will move my armies into America.

The Austrian units:

The line unit:

Compared to lines of your neighbours you have an advantage in numbers but a disadvantage in quality. I usually tend to use them in the same way as other line units, making my line long and relative brittle. Best use horse and grenadiers or pikes and line as reserve, ready to countercharge.

Pikes

Given the little amount of cavalry used by the other factions - expect in NA, at least in my games i don't use them much. Rather efficient as reserve and in sieges.

Grenadiers

The parliament has a nice thread about their uses. As Austria they are far more important than for a faction like Prussia, which has far higher average morale and better melee. Great specialized units, even if Guards are on the whole the clearly better solution.

The mighty lights:

No other faction has such a great combination of lights. Use them.

Pandours

Slaists already pointed out their importance in the Austrian game. A unique, efficient and historical addition to your ranks. Not as good as your generic lights but sneaky uniques. Even later one I use them for special tasks.

Jaegers

Amazingly cost-efficient units for a firefight, the are only very slightly weaker than Riflemen in this regard but are far cheaper to buy and to keep. My mainstay lights.

Grenzer

Another very interesting unit. A devastating unit which will outshoot any line and guard with ease with their two-barreled musket and large ammo poaches. Great in combination with the Jaegers, Pandours and Windbuechse Jaegers. As steady as the usual riflemen in a melee fight.

Winbuechse Jaeger

The marksmen with the best guns in the game. Their accuracy and rate of fire coupled with the usual loose skirmish order will outshoot anything. Their small size allows for devastating concentration of fire. Against opponents with no rifles you may use them in pairs and trios and in a close formation to concentrate your fire against a specific target, like a Guard unit or General unit.

Cavalry

I use a relative large amount of cavalry with mostly Skirmish cavalry (Light Dragoons and Carabineers) and Hungarian Hussars featuring prominently. This has to do with the large amounts of lights in my armies which need speedy protection against enemy cavalry and sometimes line. Cavalry capable to shoot from the horseback is a generally IMHO the best choice, because you can both support from close and far range your many lights. This cooperation was sometimes also used in the Napoleonic wars by Austria.

Artillery

I use relative few artillery units with Austria in open battles, but have a good siege train. This is because I like a large amount of lights which in turn need a good cavalry support. Later on artillery becomes more and more important.
    Last edited by Oleander Ardens; 04-19-2009 at 08:34.
    "Silent enim leges inter arma - For among arms, the laws fall mute"
    Cicero, Pro Milone

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

playing my own austrian game has been really interesting, really I can only impress upon what others have said.

Farms are extremely important. they are cheap way to increase both income and population, which in turn leads to more tax income. getting agricultural technology is a high priority, as early on you can not rely on trade to get you your cash.

the game started very early by the venetians blokading my only port with their navy, (right after I got trade rights with a ton of nations....) it was at this point I decided that sea trade wasnt worth it in the early game, I had spent quite a bit of money trying to create a trade fleet, only to have many of my indiamen get destroyed by the barbary states. I ended up with only one trade spot, and because my port was blockaded I was unable to even do anything with it.... , in all I think I wasted far to much resources on trade spots, only to have it come to naught. I sent an invasion force to take venice, it worked, and I now had control of a very lucrative port. I made sure my relations were high with the italians and moved my army north. the prussians had declared war on me very early, but had never actually attacked. There mistake. I launched an attack on berlin, but I had never researched any military tech and I lost the battle after inflicting heavy casualties. this was one of my biggest mistakes, I had neglected to even get basic bayonet techs. I did so, and launched another attack, which was sucsessful. it was at this point I decided to have a revolution, set taxes high in my capitol and well la! the republic of austria was born. it was helpfull, and severly increased tech speed, but I didnt see to dramatic a increase in hapiness levels, just enough to keep people happy.

also very helpfull was the revolutionary army, which I used to launch an attack on serbia, bosnia, and bulgaria. I took them all in 2 turns, and went to the ottomans for a peace treaty, I got 1000 gold, moldovia, for a peace treaty and Bulgaria. I asked for moldovia because I thought it would give me a port in the black sea, I was wrong, no ports for me..... I finally built up a big enough fleet to take out the ventians, and was finally able to take in the luxury of sea trade! The United provinces declared war on me, which was a WTF??!!! moment because it said on the diplomacy screen I betrayed them, which I didnt.
    I was still at war with the krimean khanate, so I decided to take that, I gave it to the russians in the hope that I could get a valuable new trading partner. they declared war on me two turns latter.....

well I am now dealing with this double cross, and At the same time trying to industrialize my country. I have a large empire, and a invasion force on the way to take Dutch and french Guyana (benefit of war with UP)

ohh and to point out something, I say sea trade is unimportant, land trade is a valuable resources to be exploited as much as possible even in the early game! I have numerous land trade routes all of which are just as valuable as much of my sea trade, it is very important, heck I only invaded the crimean khanate to get a land trade route with russia.
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 04-30-2009 at 23:27.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Can anyone tell me what the main differences are in austria's line infantry compared to other nations?

they have more men, but lower accuracy, and morale
    for example, on normal unit size line units normally have 120 mee, austrias unit has 150 men.
    Micheal D'Anjou

hey great posts just started my first campaign as the Austrians. with in the first 5 turns Prussia declared war on me but did't do anything. Poland declared war and moved in on the norhtern border, i took out the militias with 4 units of Pandours they are the best. and i also took Venice with my army near Vienna. I used the war with poland and took warsaw and demolished everything. next i took west Prussia and eld it with a few LI and militias, I sold the Useless warsaw to Poland for peace hoping that puts them out of action for a while next tun Prussia took West Prussia but lost a major army in the process. so i reduced the threat of invasion for the north and will focus on the south

Alright, some things have changed. first of all the north is in utter disarray, because I took Berlin the Prussians had to expand from east Prussia, they started a war with Poland and they now have west Prussia as well. Speaking of Poland, Lithuania rebelled from them, meaning they are very fractured, so I have no fear from a attack to the north.
    I sent my army into Russia, and took Ukraine, Crimea, and Moscow. Unrest was really big so I had a idea, why not sell it to minor German nations in return for Protectorates. I know am making quite a bit of money from my protected states (Bavaria, Savoy, Westaphalia, and Wurtemmburg). It is extremely helpful and means I don't need to keep a huge border in the east. I built up my shipyard, and have started building up a better navy. and my invasion force to America has ended well, French and Dutch Guyana are mine, but my ships were sunk so I have no way to bring the troops home... I have worked a lot harder at converting the population, and so now most of my empire is catholic. I have started tearing down churches to build smithies and weavers. tech is going well, I have mainly been focusing on enlightenment techs, so now I am shifting to the other two types. Got a peace treaty from Russia (after I owned them completely of course) they now are stuck at the maps very fringes, I have nothing to worry about from them. my diplomatic rating took a huge drop from all my conquest, so I think a bit of peace is in order.

really once you get your footing Austria has a very stable position. the Balkans may not be very wealthy, but they are pretty stable. give them time and they will flourish
    Last edited by Cultured Drizzt fan; 06-16-2009 at 21:15.
    Micheal D'Anjou