Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Settlement [Concluded]

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Default The Settlement [Concluded]

The Settlement

Reading the Background story, Gameplay, Mechanics and Rules sections will help you to understand the game. The Acknowledgements section is not necessary to understand the game.

Background story:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Our people are a proud stock and many stories have been told about them! This is the story of the priest-king Reenk Roink and the unusual circumstances of his “tribe” if it can even be called that.

Reenk Roink was a young man of many talents: he honored the gods, he respected his people, he killed many enemy men, he loved many friendly women. He demonstrated his capability in all matters that are important to a priest-king distinguishing himself as a fearless warrior and brilliant tactician against his enemies and a responsible and benevolent ruler to his friends.

However, men like Reenk Roink were becoming increasingly rare in a world where the peoples grew more numerous and the lands grew smaller and the priest kings grew greedier...

The king of kings decided that young priest kings like Reenk Roink would not be able to rule over ever fragmenting pieces of the old lands anymore. They would have to venture out somewhere else, taking the many displaced with them.

And so Reenk Roink prepared himself to leave his palace before he could ever rule from its splendid court. He gathered the only belongings he needed - his sword, his shield, his armor, his horse, and, along with a group of his loyal Bronze Companions, Reenk Roink cut a path through his now dangerous homeland to the shores of the Sea of Wine where a ship waited to carry him to a new chapter of his life.

It was at the sandy beaches that, for the first time, he met the refugee people he was going to make a new life with - his new tribe. They came from all walks of life; what stories they had to tell! And yet Reenk Roink knew nothing about them. After examining their faces, obviously grizzled from the arduous journey they undertook, Reenk Roink asked the gods blessings for them. As he leaned on his sword hilt, watching them board the ship, Reenk Roink could not help but feel a great sense of admiration for these noble folk.

What a misguided sentiment he would soon realize it was!

Gameplay:
    This is a game in which all players have some role which gives them some abilities and some goals. Though each role is unique in some way, there may be classes of one of more players who share similar goals.

Note: For the purposes of the story, female players are men. No misogyny intended.

The settlers: Every player is a settler. The settlers are divided into two groups:

The men: The men make up the majority of the people in the settlement. They come from different backgrounds, have different lives, act different ways, and do different things. The one thing that unites them is the pact they made with the priest king Reenk Roink in which they pledged loyalty and obedience to his rule for a degree of influence in decisions.

The good men: The good men make up the minority of the people in the settlement. Like the men, they come from different backgrounds, have different lives, act different ways, and do different things, but they also possess two things in more quantity then the men, status and wealth. They also made a pact with the priest king Reenk Roink in which they pledged loyalty and obedience to his rule for a degree of influence in decisions - a greater degree of influence then the men.

All settlers have two abilities:

Voting: In every day period, the priest king Reenk Roink will hold a council to decide which settler to lynch.

Each settler may decide to vote or not vote (there will be no penalty for not voting).

The priest king Reenk Roink requests that settlers inscribe their vote (or have it inscribed for them) in the manner specified: Vote: [name].

The settlers may change their vote as many times as they wish.

The settlers may not vote no lynch. The settlers may abstain.

In the event of a majority of abstain votes, the matter is wholly up to the discretion of the priest king Reenk Roink.

The men will have a vote rating of 1 (their vote counts as one tally) while the good men will have a vote rating of 2 (their vote counts as two tallies).

The settler with the largest tally count will be executed.

In the event of ties, the matter is wholly up to the discretion of the priest king Reenk Roink.

Dueling: In every day period during the priest king Reenk Roink’s council, a settler may challenge one other settler to a fight to the death for whatever reason.

Each settler may decide to duel or not to duel (there will be no penalty for not dueling).

The priest king Reenk Roink requests that settlers inscribe their challenge (or have it inscribed for them) in the manner specified: Challenge: [name].

The duel proposal may be accepted by the challenged in which case it is added to the list of challenges or rejected in which case it is not added to the list of challenges. The list is handled in first come - first served order.

The list remains throughout the game.

The priest king Reenk Roink requests that settlers accept or reject a challenge by inscribing (or having inscribed for them) Accept: [name] or Reject: [name].

If a challenge is not responded to it will be considered as if it was rejected.

A settler may challenge at most one other settler each day period. A settler may be challenged more than once by several other settlers each day period and he may accept or reject as many of them as he likes.

No redundant challenges will be accepted (if player 1 challenges player 2 then player 2 cannot challenge player 1 while the original challenge remains on the list).

The fight will take place at dusk before the execution. There is only one fight each round.

Each settler will receive a battle rating in his role message based on his role background. The battle ratings of the combatants will decide the outcome of the fight.

If a settler who was to be executed is killed in a duel, then the matter becomes wholly up to the discretion of the priest king Reenk Roink.

The usurpers: Among the settlers are the usurpers. Very little is known about them aside from the fact that they exist.

The way the roles will be handled is as such. First the players will be grouped into the men and the good men. The list of each settler’s status (as one of the men or one of the good men) will be made public. Then the roles will be assigned. Some roles are only available to men, some roles are only available to good men, and some roles are available to both. Everyone will get a role message.

Mechanics:
    The day period will last anywhere from 20 to 30 hours usually. Whenever the day period begins, an announcement will be made as to the exact time of the end of the day period (Eastern Standard Time – military format). Any activity (votes or challenges) will be accepted up to the deadline inclusive (the Org time will be used). I will give an extension if three or more people ask for one. The deadlines will be staggered at different times throughout the day so that it is fairer to people from different time zones.

The night period will last anywhere up to 30 hours (hopefully shorter). I will allow a little more leeway for everyone to get their orders in, though I will end the night without all the orders if I have to. I will end the night as soon as I get all orders and finish the writeup.

There will be a punctuality system in place which will handle interleaving orders. It is thus in your best interest to get your orders in fast.

There is no penalty for inactivity in this game, I’d rather you join up and not be active then not join up at all! I hope the nature of the game will push you to be active in some way. Suicides will be granted only in exceptional cases.

I’m looking for the number of players to be in the mid twenties or more. More people are always easier to accommodate than less people.

Rules:
    You must:
    -Obey the rules of the Org and the Gameroom (laws and good manners)
    -Have fun

You must not:
    -Post screenshots of anything game related (private messages, quicktopics, the game thread itself, chatlogs)
    -Quote or forge any game related private messages once dead

You are allowed to do anything else (quote and forge private messages or quicktopics or chatlogs while alive, reveal your role while dead (as long as you don’t quote and or lightly paraphrase private messages), private message other players dead or alive, etc…)

Acknowledgements:
    Lastly but most importantly, I would like to mention some of the games (and their hosts) that have been most influential in making this one possible.

Of course, I have to start by mentioning GeneralHankerchief who brought Mafia games here. His original Mafia series had the story base which is the main reason I play and my game is story based.

Gotta have more Mafia by Sasaki Kojiro was the first game where many roles were added (I think). Since then, I have always liked games with a lot of roles and my game has a lot of roles.

Interficio quod Scrupulosa by Sir Moody was a monumental game in influencing me. Before that, I believe most games had similar (though richly detailed) settings based on modern towns. Interficio quod Scrupulosa was then the first uniquely “themed” game which really inspired me to roleplay and get into character. The game itself had a basic setup, but the immersion factor made it my favorite game. After playing Interficio quod Scrupulosa, I first seriously entertained the idea of hosting a game - this game (over two years in the making ).

That special place for Interficio quod Scrupulosa was soon to be joined by another game when Sigurd hosted The Midgard Saga. Sigurd had taken the idea of a themed game and ran with it. The immersion factor of The Midgard Saga was magnificent; every role was crafted in the setting of the game. Sigurd also introduced a new mechanic of dueling, the Holmgang, which I thought was brilliant, and is the clear influence of my own duel system.

Very recently, yet another game has arrived among Interficio quod Scrupulosa and The Midgard Saga – Whispers in the Night by YLC (with some design help from Sigurd). The setting was more modern and typical, but the immersion factor was again top notch. Whispers in the Night had the mechanic of the dead continuing as ghosts which was the first time I had encountered such a thing, and it influenced me as much as it entertained me.

Of course, the fact is, I have been greatly influenced by every game I have played and every player and host. I don’t mention everyone not because of lack of love, but lack of brains and large amounts of laziness.

Please post any questions you might have and thanks for playing.
    Last edited by Reenk Roink; 03-06-2009 at 05:00. Reason: added more voting information

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Settlement (sign ups)

Reenk, I've been waiting for you to host one for a long time.

In!
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

In!!!!!!!

in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink View Post
    Act all cool and stuff, only taka knows about your true noobness.
    Tainted Evil, Reenk's synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    taka points his finger at iskander and says "pew pew pew". He then points his finger at atheotes and repeats the odd gesture "pew pew pew". The other gunfighters look at him oddly.
    Gunfight at the O.K Corral

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

Reenk is hosting??....This is gonna be CRAZY FUN IN

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

I am in a couple mafia games which seem doomed to never begin. I have hosting duty coming up, and I'm in a complicated Ares game.

I could be a reserve player, if you want. Methinks I should take a break.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

In!
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Bastion of Sanity Member Captain Blackadder's Avatar

I'm in

Coming Soon to a Gameroom Near You

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

In...
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really should start getting rid of my pms.. But I realized I'm far away from the front in the que

And Reenks hosting it. I'm in

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

The Search for Beefy Member TheFlax's Avatar

In!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    TheFlax needs to die on principle. No townie should even be that scummy.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

In.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

In!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink View Post
    The Acknowledgements section is not necessary to understand the game.
    And guess what Andres reads first? Yep, the Acknowledgements section

In!

Makes mental note to read the rest later...
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

So close to being able to re Member boudica's Avatar
    Apon passing under the main gate:~ Turn right at the Blacksmiths' then pass by the Brewery ~ Head past the fish market, through the square and it's the big hall with the skulls nailed to the door.

IN IN IN!

Follow the sorcerous carnage HERE!
    Come get your NEW RE_SIZED! Council of the Magi Teaser Sigs here!

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Inz0r.
    BLARGH!

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

In exclusively because of the Godfather 3 Wanax write-ups. If you can do that for someone else's game, I want to see what you can do with your own.
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-04-2009 at 12:59.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

This should be a very interesting game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 03-04-2009 at 15:09.

My kingdom for a .

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Consider me in...

Time to try my hand at these Mafia games...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is there a limit to the number of duels per day? I didnt read one (In Midgard 6 challenges, 1 fight, yes? [I can't believe how long i called it Migard for])
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Status Emeritus

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post

Is there a limit to the number of duels per day? I didnt read one (In Midgard 6 challenges, 1 fight, yes? [I can't believe how long i called it Migard for])
    Great question, sorry I didn’t explain it in much detail. The way the duel system works is that the challenges go on a first come - first serve list and the list exists throughout the game (challenges made in earlier rounds that haven’t been gotten to yet stay on the list). I also should mention that if either party in a challenge dies, the challenge is removed from the list altogether. Lastly no redundant challenges will be accepted (so no player 1 challenges player 2 and player 2 challenges player 1).

And yes, only 1 duel each round.

I’ve added this information to the summary thread (in Gameplay).

22 sign ups already! Thanks! I was going to start this game on Friday or Saturday but if sign ups come to a stop I'll start sooner.
    Last edited by Reenk Roink; 03-04-2009 at 20:58.

INZ!

Blog Entries

Your still accepting sign ups yes!? I cannot miss one of your games, shun the non-believers, shun--nnn-nnn-nnn-a let me play ze tells you let me play :madzombiepawofdeath:

(sexy(my sign up line()))
    Last edited by Thermal; 03-04-2009 at 22:13.

Reenk practically insisted I join as a full player. Please excuse me if I am less active, but I will try not to be a lurker or something. I do have time, just... now I have a lot of games I'm in...

I will not be attempting much analysis this game, and I'll be implementing my "shut up" policy for myself this game.

Help me out fellows, and I should be much more bearable.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-04-2009 at 22:23.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Reenk practically insisted I join as a full player. Please excuse me if I am less active, but I will try not to be a lurker or something. I do have time, just... now I have a lot of games I'm in...

I will not be attempting much analysis this game, and I'll be implementing my "shut up" policy for myself this game.

Help me out fellows, and I should be much more bearable.
    ATPG lurker = Mafia = LYNCH HIM!
    BLARGH!

Game hasn't started yet.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Page 1 of 69 123451151 ... LastLast