Thread: Plasma Destruction

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Plasma Destruction

Plasma Storm threatens to disrupt World Electricity

It sounds ridiculous. Surely the sun couldn't create so profound a disaster on Earth. Yet an extraordinary report funded by NASA and issued by the US National Academy of Sciences (NAS) in January this year claims it could do just that.
    Carrington Event
    The solar storm of 1859, also known as the Solar Superstorm[1], or the Carrington Event[2], is the most powerful solar storm in recorded history.

From August 28 until September 2, numerous sunspots and solar flares were observed on the sun. Just before noon on September 1, the British astronomer, Richard Carrington, observed the largest flare[3], which caused a massive coronal mass ejection (CME), to travel directly toward Earth, taking eighteen hours. This is remarkable because such a journey normally takes three to four days. It moved so quickly because an earlier CME had cleared its way[4].
    The Carrington Event could happen again and cause our own destruction, and proposed by the aforementioned article.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Default Re: Plasma Destruction

I can only imagine what the guys who wrote this said about y2k...

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

There's always an Arquillian battlecruiser, or a Corillian death-ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they do. not. know about it.

My thoughts? Que sera sera.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Quite sensationalist and not a bit of fearmongering, BUT what these solar storms can do to our infrastructure is very real. Large power grids are very sensitive to this, and some inadequately shielded satellites can be outright disabled/destroyed. Astronauts can also get lethal doses of radiation if outside of spacecraft.

Cats and dogs.. living together. MASS HYSTERIA!!!

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Only to add a bit to the hysteria The magnetic field is weakening in preparation for the potential geomagnetic reversal, making the electronics on earth more sensitive to solar flares.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED