Thread: Official: Empire - The first 24 hours

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Official: Empire - The first 24 hours

I grabed this from Shogun…

Official: Empire - The first 24 hours

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Dear All,

So Empire has been out just over 24 hours now and it's great to see so many people having fun and playing the game we've all been working on for so long, thanks again for your patience.

Naturally the first day has thrown up a few issues that people are concerned about and I wanted to take this opporutinty to address a few of those.

Steam:

Preloading - Steam preloading was unfortunately unavailable, this was addressed in a previous statement, but I wanted to pass on our apologies again that this didn't take place. This occured for technical reasons outside CA's control. We are looking into a way of repaying the faith of those that preordered a while ago, more will be communicated as it develops.

Downloading times and patches - These vary a great deal depending on your connection, location, and indeed the server you are downloading from. We deliberately kept the day one patch small (100MB approx) so as to remove too much additional download pressure on your connections. Overall the download times seem to have been good, and despite heavy demand Steam coped well although I know it was a tough wait initially for those of you downloading at first. Again, thanks for your patience.

Why Steam - There has been a lot of conjecture that we used Steam solely for copy protection means and that this placed unnecessary demands on our fans whilst the pirates still went ahead and copied Empire. Part of the decision for Steam was indeed copy protection, I'd be lying if I said that wasn‘t the case. However no copy protection method is foolproof and we do recognise that less casual pirates will still copy the game. Steam offers us a variety of excellent multiplayer facets, an achievment system a strong userbase, good support and automatic patching to every one of our players. These are the primary reasons we chose to use it. I realise there are those people who simply do not like Steam and never will, that's fair enough, from a developer perspective it was never intended to harm fans and we believe it offers a genuine advantage to our title, after a few rounds of seamless 18th century warfare agtainst friends, hopefully you will too.

Nvidia Graphics Issues:

A few people have reported problems with some Nvidia graphics cards when playing Empire. The latest Nvidia drivers, that is those released yesterday (Approximately) have not been fully tested with Empire, meaning we cannot guarantee their stability. We test as fully as we can but when drivers are released so close to our release date, there's simply no way we can put them fully through their paces before you guys get the game. Rolling back to older drivers seems to solve the issue in most cases, I can say we've tested driver version 7.15.0011.8206 on a huge range on Nvidia cards and had no significant problems. But we're still working to see if there's anything we can do.

As well as the driver work arounds one of our graphics gurus here recommends turning off volumetric effects for the time being, in case that's whats going wrong with the drivers. It might also be helpful to step through the other options too 'SSAO', VSync etc.

Canada

There appears to have been some fault in distribution or delivery of Empire in many Canadian territories. SEGA are investigating this and we'll get back to you as soon as we have any more news. Thank you to everyone who's going out looking for the game and trying hard to get it, we're doing all we can to get it to you!

Trade Route Problems

We've become aware of an occasional problem with the trade route system when shipping goods with some factions to some cities. This is being addressed currently and will be fixed shortly. Which brings me neatly to my final point...

Support and Patches:

We fully intend to support Empire consistently post-release. We're very appreciative to everyone thats bought the title and you deserve our continued support as a result. Therefore I can confirm that we are currently working on a patch that will be automatically rolled out via Steam, sometime next week.

This patch will address the gameplay issue above, fix a few stability problems and improve upon Empire's general performance.

There is a patch schedule that means regular patches will be appearing after this point. To that end, if you have any problems gameplay or otherwise please report them in a thread on the technical section of the forum giving your dxdiag information and as much constructive feedback as possible. We want to make Empire the best Total War experience to date and with your help we can continue to do that.

As always, many thanks for your patience and your continued support. We will do all we can to reward that and support the title you have bought for the future.

Kind regards,
    Kieran

hope everyone is having fun!

hope my game comes soon!
    Last edited by Fisherking; 03-04-2009 at 22:40.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Default Re: Official: Empire - The first 24 hours

Well if steam didnt fail on me when I had finished spending 3 hours getting the update to work I would be more sympathetic... and I'd make alot less unnecissaraly grumpy posts. But at least im not alone: Steam seems to have failed sega as well.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 03-04-2009 at 21:34.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

They did address some other issues and problems.

They said the kept the first patch small…wonder why some people took so long to get it downloaded…

And another patch next week!

That’s news.

Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Regular patches? Great!

Thanks CA
    "Après moi le déluge"

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Good post by CA.

Blog Entries

At least now I can direct my anger solely at Steam, rather than have the poor innocent bystanders at SEGA feel my wrath.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Glad to hear they will be releasing a patch so soon, not that I've even noticed any major bugs.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Actual post-release support! This is fantastic. Two patches within a week of each other is even more fantastic .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Oh man, problemos for Canadians??
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

never mind
    Last edited by Fisherking; 03-05-2009 at 09:36.

Mark Twain

All that info about why they are forcing fans to use a spyware infested crock of turd like Steam and they left out the main one... They're using Steam because Steam paid them a hell of a lot of money to do so, nothing more, nothing less.

The achievement system is ridiculous, 30 achievements and you get nothing but bragging rights. Well, you already have bragging rights if you win a battle with 1000 soldiers versus 4000 soldiers, you don't need a piece of text telling you so.

Automatic patching, never had a problem with downloading them manually myself so this is pointless, and i can't choose the website i download the patch from, i have to use Steam which will give me 2kbps.

Talk to your friends... Woo, MSN messenger does that.

Did i mention Steam is also loaded with spyware?

Excellent job on the support for the game though, a patch on the first day and another one coming before the week is out.

But forcing us to use Steam... i will never forgive you for that, CA.