Thread: Icon History

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Post Icon History

I just thought I'd post a couple of the old icons here as part of the TEN YEAR celebrations.

Most of these I designed and never actually used on the site, but some might be recognised. Originally the icons were 50x50 and the awards were on the actual icon rather than in a seperate space below like nowadays.

Top Row

#2 on the first row is interesting; those nine white dots were originally going to be the award for Code of Honour.

#5 on the first row featured the award for a yearly tournament winner. This was Dark Phoenix's icon.

Bottom Row

#1 on the second row has the award for the Admin of another totalwar site. At the time all Admins of other totalwar sites got custom icons with that red award attached.

#2 on the second row was maybe my favorite icon of all time. I never used it though, I might see if I can get Tosa to hook me up one day. ;)

#3 on the second row was probably the first custom icon ever at the org; it went to maltz (or was it Ditz?) for winning a story contest.

# 4 on the second row was my Admin icon when M:TW was released. I took a lot of kidding for that one and the icon was affectionately dubbed "the pizza box" by the org patrons.

#5 on the second row was my Admin icon when S:TW Mongol Invasion was released.

Top Row

#3 on the top row was Dan's Admin icon.

#4 on the top row was the original icon for all moderators; many brave men have worn this one!

Bottom Row

#2 on the bottom row was Magyar Khan's custom icon.

#3 on the bottom row was probably the only ever annimated icon on the org. It was Magyar Khan's Cham.

#5 on the bottom was Hosakawa Tito's icon (first draft).

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kurando; 03-26-2009 at 06:52.
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Icon History

Hmmmmm, looks nice Kudo!

Post Re: Icon History

Before there were custom icons this was the original "rank" structure of the .org

At the time it was inconceivable to me that anyone could ever get above 1000 posts, but I sort of added the last icon just incase. Hehe, I think the first person to do it still holds the Kensai Rising Sun icon to this day... Anyone care to guess who?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icons.JPG 
Views:	945 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	54  

Truly fascinating stuf Thanks for posting this Kurando. Could that ancient notorious spammer be JAG, but he is from 2001, so maybe it is someone else?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Talking Re: Icon History

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Could that ancient notorious spammer be JAG, but he is from 2001, so maybe it is someone else?
    Hehe, I was thinking of someone even more ancient, but slightly less notorious. I bet JAG probably got to 1000 posts faster than anyone else in that era though. ;) Actually it makes perfect sense that JAG would have taken it over. ...I was thinking of old ShaiHulud, but now that you mention it I believe ShaiHulud eventually changed his icon to something else.

Good stuff Kurando! Keep it coming!
    This space intentionally left blank

Talk about a trip down memory lane. Oh boy.

Great stuff BTW.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Thanks for sharing these, Kurando! I'm really having some flashbacks now.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    Talk about a trip down memory lane. Oh boy.

Great stuff BTW.
    A trip down memory lane indeed! I vaguely recall having that Ashigaru avatar, as I was mostly a lurker here my first 6-9 months. It's incredible to think how long ago that was -- it simultaneously seems like it was both yesterday and eons past....
    Last edited by Martok; 03-15-2009 at 18:59. Reason: gah
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Amazing post :)

Thanks (although I feel old)
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Icon History

Quote Originally Posted by Kurando View Post
    Hehe, I was thinking of someone even more ancient, but slightly less notorious. I bet JAG probably got to 1000 posts faster than anyone else in that era though. ;) Actually it makes perfect sense that JAG would have taken it over. ...I was thinking of old ShaiHulud, but now that you mention it I believe ShaiHulud eventually changed his icon to something else.
    Interesting stuff indeed. Didn't JAG eventually get his own icon: a Kensai with "spammer" written in the background?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Interesting stuff indeed. Didn't JAG eventually get his own icon: a Kensai with "spammer" written in the background?
    I think he had that until very recently actually.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.