Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 47

Thread: Solve this problem

  1. #1

    Default Solve this problem

    Since we often talk about logic in mafia games I thought I'd post some puzzles. Here's a starter problem:

    Four cards are presented: E, C, 2, and 5. There is a letter on one side of each card and a number on the other side. Which card(s) must you turn over to determine whether the following statement is false? "If a card has a vowel on one side, then it has an even number on the other side."

    *******

    If you've heard the problem before, give other people a chance to answer.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It would have to be the E, right? Since all others would prove nothing. Seems to simple though
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

  3. #3
    Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the middle of the Desert.
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    E, obviously.

    And I think 5 as well. If its reverse is a vowel that would prove the statement false.
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.



    Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

  4. #4
    Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    25,559

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    You must turn over E, C, and 5

    If ANY of the cards have a vowel (besides the 2) on the OTHER side, then the statement is false,
    and if the 2 does not have a vowel on the other side, it doesn't matter. It only asks about the status of the vowel cards, and if the card with the 2 has a vowel, that wouldn't prove the statement false either.

    You need to determine what the status is of all the cards that do not have an even number facing up to determine if the statement is false.



    Edit: Nevermind I was wrong, it states that all the cards have a vowel on one side and a number on the other
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-05-2009 at 03:39. Reason: D'oh!
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

  5. #5

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Three replies three different answers

    One of you is right...here is the problem in a different form:

    Let the cards show "beer," "cola," "16 years," and "22 years." On one side of each card is the name of a drink; on the other side is the age of the drinker. What card(s) must be turned over to determine if the following statement is false? "If a person is drinking beer, then the person is over 19-years-old."

  6. #6
    Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Between Louis' sheets
    Posts
    10,369

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    beer and 16 years
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

    My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

    I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

  7. #7
    Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    25,559

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Three replies three different answers

    One of you is right...here is the problem in a different form:

    Let the cards show "beer," "cola," "16 years," and "22 years." On one side of each card is the name of a drink; on the other side is the age of the drinker. What card(s) must be turned over to determine if the following statement is false? "If a person is drinking beer, then the person is over 19-years-old."
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    beer - unknown age (side opposite)
    must turn over to prove false.

    cola - unknown age (side opposite)
    do not need to turn over to prove false (only concerned with beer drinker's ages)

    16 years - unknown beverage (side opposite)
    must find out what they are drinking

    22 years - unknown beverage (side opposite)
    Does not matter what they are drinking, because they are over the proper age.



    So.... The beer card and the 16 year old card.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-05-2009 at 03:37.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

  8. #8
    Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.
    Posts
    2,528

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    E & 5, Beer & 16.

    My kingdom for a .

  9. #9

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Yup, you guys got it. Posted it because my instinct was to make a snap judgement of "A and 4", which seems perfectly correct until you take a second look. Peoples instinctive method of testing the rule is to look for examples that would fit the pattern when actually they should be looking for examples that disprove the rule. Seems to relate to mafia on some level.

  10. #10
    Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    On a pirate ship
    Posts
    12,398
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Problem of induction all over again.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.


  11. #11
    Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    25,559

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Ya know, if I had only read the danged instructions properly the first time, I might have gotten that.
    I mistakenly thought that the cards could have had anything on the other side of them. Read, read, read...

    There is a letter on one side of each card and a number on the other side


    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

  12. #12
    So close to being able to re Member boudica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Apon passing under the main gate:~ Turn right at the Blacksmiths' then pass by the Brewery ~ Head past the fish market, through the square and it's the big hall with the skulls nailed to the door.
    Posts
    465

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Yup, you guys got it. Posted it because my instinct was to make a snap judgement of "A and 4", which seems perfectly correct until you take a second look. Peoples instinctive method of testing the rule is to look for examples that would fit the pattern when actually they should be looking for examples that disprove the rule. Seems to relate to mafia on some level.
    Interesting point. So while looking for 'scummy' behaviour perhaps what we should really be doing (as townies) is beginning the game by assuming that EVERYone else is mafia and seeking out evidence that disproves that assumption.

    Sorry if that's stating the obvious... I'm still new to mafia

    I didn't get the question right until the second example btw. I thought I was being clever by only turning over 'E'.
    Last edited by boudica; 03-06-2009 at 11:02.

    Follow the sorcerous carnage HERE!
    Come get your NEW RE_SIZED! Council of the Magi Teaser Sigs here!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Quote Originally Posted by boudica View Post
    Interesting point. So while looking for 'scummy' behaviour perhaps what we should really be doing (as townies) is beginning the game by assuming that EVERYone else is mafia and seeking out evidence that disproves that assumption.

    Sorry if that's stating the obvious... I'm still new to mafia

    I didn't get the question right until the second example btw. I thought I was being clever by only turning over 'E'.
    Really what I think it says is to watch out for confirmation bias. If you think someone is scum and you read over your posts and just look for things that would confirm your assumption--things they've done that are scummy--you might miss something that makes them look innocent.

    For example, looking at andres and saying:

    1) Andres seems innocent
    2) If andres was mafia he would try and appear innocent and is capable of doing so
    1) If Andres were mafia he would still be alive because he can't nightkill himself
    2) Andres is still alive

    3) Therefore Andres is mafia.

    When really you should be looking at:

    1) Mafia don't usually put themselves on the chopping block
    2) Andres didn't break the tie when he was tied

    Of course in mafia there is much less certainty. The second set doesn't disprove the rule, and the first two arguments taken together (that Andres appears innocent and yet hasn't been killed) still counts as a legitimate argument. But you have to weigh everything together, not just look at the arguments against.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 03-06-2009 at 17:19.

  14. #14
    Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    25,559

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    What about a dual approach?

    If you take the strategy of assuming everyone is possibly guilty, and then trying to find stuff that makes them appear innocent, then a clever mafioso will do whatever they can to appear innocent and be no longer considered a top suspect.

    If however, you ALSO take the strategy of looking for telltale scummy behaviors, behaviors you can question and pressure someone about, then you could specifically target those who are acting out of sorts, even if they are making a big show of being a townie.

    I am not blind to the lesson; indeed Sasaki's approach has at least as much merit as the opposing method. I do suggest that both approaches are not foolproof, and even better might be to do both. Read the thread from a "reduce the number of suspects" point of view, make your suspect list, and then read the thread from a behavioral/analytical standpoint looking specifically for scummy behavior to add a person to the list (starting at the standpoint of everyone is possibly guilty, but innocent until proven so)

    Then, you could merge the two lists and go after certain people; using context of the thread and your experience to prioritize the suspects.

    Any merit to this approach?

    EDIT: Apparently I just reworded your argument, Sasaki... lol so of course you agree.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-06-2009 at 17:29.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

  15. #15
    Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.
    Posts
    2,528

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Comrade Pizza, to the Gulag with you.

    My kingdom for a .

  16. #16
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,602

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Really what I think it says is to watch out for confirmation bias. If you think someone is scum and you read over your posts and just look for things that would confirm your assumption--things they've done that are scummy--you might miss something that makes them look innocent.

    For example, looking at andres and saying:

    1) Andres seems innocent
    2) If andres was mafia he would try and appear innocent and is capable of doing so
    1) If Andres were mafia he would still be alive because he can't nightkill himself
    2) Andres is still alive

    3) Therefore Andres is mafia.

    When really you should be looking at:

    1) Mafia don't usually put themselves on the chopping block
    2) Andres didn't break the tie when he was tied

    Of course in mafia there is much less certainty. The second set doesn't disprove the rule, and the first two arguments taken together (that Andres appears innocent and yet hasn't been killed) still counts as a legitimate argument. But you have to weigh everything together, not just look at the arguments against.
    Have there ever been any double takes in org Mafia games? Ie. people making themselves look scummy because real mafia don't look that scummy. In my first TWC game, out of 4 guesses, I managed to identify the 3 scum, using fairly standard parameters. Conversely, in my last GH game, I didn't bother to make myself non-scummy, and got my only execution, resulting in my user title. Have there been any real scum who deliberately made themselves look scummy?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    I don't recall. It's certainly not common on the org, because we quickly lynch people who act scummy. This in turn makes it less likely that a mafiosos would try, which increases the reward if they did try it and got to the position ylc did last game--but it's still a lower percentage play than just doing it straight.

    If you take the strategy of assuming everyone is possibly guilty, and then trying to find stuff that makes them appear innocent, then a clever mafioso will do whatever they can to appear innocent and be no longer considered a top suspect.
    I don't think you should do that though, I'm just saying you have to consider both the evidence against someone and the evidence in favor of them. When you reread someone's posts it's because you think they're guilty, and confirmation bias would be just picking out the posts that fit your theory.

  18. #18
    Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    25,559

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Acting scummy, as a scum:

    I intentionally made myself a top suspect as a mafia in Prometheus, and after I died, I went into full on scummy mode. What I did was I played the talkative, accusatory inquisitor and even under repeated threats of death I did not alter my strategy. It took 4 turns before town decided I was more trouble than I was worth.

    I never intended to survive the game, my intention was to be a distraction, and that's where I succeeded. Early on people had locked onto seireikhaan as a suspect, Ichigo in particular, and others followed suit. I forget when, but Reenk Roink had also become a suspect in many people's minds, and both had come close to being lynched.

    I accused seireikhaan of being mafia, and I had an adversarial relationship with Reenk Roink. Finally, town lynches me, and I "reveal" that I am the leader of this cult, and that we are a cult of virtue and enlightenment. My argument was so convincing, a townie decided to seriously entertain my stated explanation for the game, and instead of seireikhaan that round there was a huge bandwagon on Chaotix.

    Later, YLC had started to tell the town to look for clues in my posts, and that immediately made him a suspect too, and he was the final lynch.

    My teammates deserve most of the credit; seireikhaan had asked me to be my usual supertownie self and gave me good advice, and had been one of the masterminds behind Reenk's role reveal which kept him alive for an astounding number of rounds after we had died, and Reenk's solo performance was outstanding. My small part was simply this: Distract town as long as possible, and after my death, use the powers of persuasion to get town to kill themselves even though they knew I was a scum. I had no idea if it would work, but amazingly it did for at least one townie, and that did delay seireikhaan's death for a few rounds.

    Here's some of the quotes in the early game:

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Re: pizzaguy: if a maff would go to the lengths this guy has gone to camouflage his true role, we have a new, excellent player/liar. I'd leave him alone for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    Pizza is being awfully helpful for a townie in day 1. I really hope you are just a helpful townie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix27 View Post
    Damn. Talk about walls and walls o' text. Pizzaguy's going overboard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    Dont know who to vote. But I doubt its Pizza.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    I said I dont think its pizza guy.. Theres no reason to change my vote just yet.. I could go for TB but I wanna actually make my vote count.

    Wasnt it Pizza guy in first place who brought up the idea that mafia has been converting people? Thus there should be three mafia supporters? If pizza man is one of the baddys why bring it up? Sure it could be reverse psychology and for that he must be lynched eventually, but why lynch a guy whos been at least providing ideas more then most of you when more then half of us are still alive?

    If we can avoid the woggs then I say we wait few more phases before we decide the fate of the Pizza guy.
    YLC's reaction when I finally died... town chose between me and chaotix for the tie, and was frankly surprised I was scum.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by YLC View Post
    Hmm, well, now it's my turn, I had my suspicions while I talked to him, but that was it. I'll understand if the town comes down on me for being unwittingly involved, I happily accept your votes in any attempt to clear my name . I just wish I listened to my mafia sense when he first began mentioning a cult, I know he plays ballsy, and I even called him out on it several times, just wish I had followed my instincts. Remember that from now on, Pizzaguy plays ballsy from now on...


    And my postmortem speech;

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    A letter is found, written in the blood of Askthepizzaguy

    To all who seek knowledge;

    The harmonious order of the universe will never accept the continued destruction propagated by the land rapists. Polluters and thieves, your time is at an end. Your crimes against the light are greater than you could ever possibly imagine. From out of the light you were conceived, and from that light you were granted food, shelter, and a land which yielded everlasting harmonious life to you. From these glorious gifts, you have taken, and taken, and now you take more than you deserve. You have upset the natural order, come into conflict with the harmonious light, the logic and wisdom of the universe itself. With every rock you disturb, every ounce of water you pollute, every cubic centimeter of poison you spew into the air, and every resource you plunder from nature, you take for yourself that which does not belong to you. You have altered the climate and unbalanced the ecosystem, and now you seek to spread your selfish and chaotic system into other spheres, other untouched places. Like a virus, a plague, a mass of locusts, you take all that there is to take from an environment and then when everything has been harvested, raped, and destroyed, you move on, leaving nothing of value in your wake. You do not even thank the natural world for the things which you consume and destroy.

    But fear not, for you will be purified by the light. It is inevitable, and that is what gives me peace. I know that my body and my soul have become one with the harmonious order, and that even in death, my place is part of nature. You may struggle, but your inevitable death brings you closer to the light, closer to the harmony of the universe. It is not too late for you. You can still join the glorious light voluntarily, if you so choose. All you have to do is remain still, remain passive. No harm will ever come to you. The others who struggle in their madness will be calmed, and become at peace. Then they will join you. If you stay inside your quarters and do not speak, and do not take up arms, and do not continue to resist us, the forces of logic and nature will overcome the cluttered minds aboard this vessel. The ones who follow the ways of selfishness, who take without giving back, who contaminate the natural order and who spread the illogical vision of a humanocentric universe, who are so single-minded as to continue on their journey towards the harmonious moons of Jupiter, on a mission to steal and take what does not belong to them... they will become enlightened, or they will be swallowed up by the glorious light.

    I have so much more to teach you, but my shell is about to be captured. It will rejoin the glorious light soon enough. My followers will help me spread the teachings of logic, of harmony with nature, and of our great faith, well beyond the existence of my own mere consciousness. I trust that those with an open mind will hear what I have to say, and take my wisdom to heart. It is with love and with open arms that I welcome you all into the glorious enlightenment. I will wait patiently for you all to see the light.

    All my love and logic are yours. Share in the light with me.


    Note the bolded part. The entire speech is a subtle argument to let the mafia win. And then:

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix27 View Post
    Okay, everyone. I have been speaking with the scum ATPG, and I believe I have learned something from his words, although he mentioned nothing directly and I was left to infer this for myself. No, I have not been converted.

    In the very first sentence of this thread, Crazed Rabbit mentions that there is a gameplay mechanic that is not found in traditional mafias. This could simply be the convert mechanic that the mafia employs, however this has happened in other mafia games. Rather, I think that it is possible that there's no town victory condition. That if, in the event we do defeat the mafia, our load of precious chemicals will wind up being used for nukes or something, and we'll blow up the Earth. Then there'll be no winner, cause we'll all be dead. Perhaps the only way there can be a victory is if it is for mafia. And in that case, it would be in our every interest to join the mafia.

    Now, I'm not saying that you should believe this, or even that I necessarily believe it myself. It's just, the more I think about it, the more it seems likely that CR would play a sick trick on us in the event that we won . That, and ATPG left me with a cryptic comment, although he could just as easily be lying: "If you would just lay down your arms, you would attain victory."

    I think that we need to discuss this, and whether or not we want to follow it or not. Maybe we should have a vote on it.
    And town's reaction:

    Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    Vote: Chaotix

    You may be right that by saving the crew, we are dooming our planet BUT I'd rather stay alive then be killed by agents.
    I intentionatly didn't read the Pizzaguy's testimony as I suspected it could be used to confuse us. Chaotix, you just jumped on it like a fly on rotten greens. Naive or a deliberate action? Quite frankly I don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    Unvote: Khaan Vote: Chaotix

    Im sorry but way you talk.... Means that you are either agent or extremely unhelpful townie. You may be right about how we create something which could harm others. But that doesn't give the agents any reason to kill us. Some of us here are genuinely innocent. I know the oracle with out the weapon will always be ignored but still.. I really dislike your method.
    Massive bandwagon, and chaotix dies instead of khaan. And for a time, Chaotix redeems himself because he is now convinced of my partner's guilt, but due to the fact that no one believed he was innocent anymore, they ignored khaan and Reenk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix27 View Post
    And somehow, khaan and Reenk are let off the hook once again.

    For future reference: what Aries is doing is just his play style. He's a joker/spammer, and you can never really be sure if he wants his side to win. He's doing exactly the same thing in the Simpsons Mafia.
    YLC is the next to suggest people listen to my words, even if they don't believe them;

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by YLC View Post
    I'd like to voice something that has bothered me from the beginning, yet was never able to put words to it.

    If the ecofreaks are able to convert, then why kill? Killing eliminates a possible convert, and incites said dead townie to become angry at them. A converted townie helps with voting and increase numbers, allowing the mafia to achieve their goal FASTER.

    To me, this means several things -

    The mafia either may only recruit so many,
    The mafia actually lacks the ability to convert,
    The mafia only has a chance to convert, where as they are guaranteed the elimination of a townie by killing them,
    The mafia are highly experienced players, and are weeding out possible townie who would be bad for conversion based upon their lack of experience and susceptibility to being exposed, and expsoing those they associate with,
    The mafia is highly inexperienced, and hasn't thought analytically about their position.

    Also, reading through Pizzaguy's posts, I have come to a handful of conclusion, although I admit RR beat me to most of them.

    1 - Do not bother trying to tell innocence from the write ups, where dealing with a cult like behavior who believe in something higher then themselves. As far as they are concerned, they will win, and that any sacrifice they make is better for the whole, thus they will be just as willing to be cyro-ed as town would.
    2 - The words "Order, Balance, Harmony" continue to crop up in Pizzaguy's writings. Why? From what I gather, they hold significant importance. No other words are as repeated, for little or no reason, as these are. Pizzaguy is one to try to imbed clues, even if it is detrimental to his own side, in his writing.

    3 - Also, as noted by Seamus and Reenk, Pizzaguy's tone changed significantly midway through the game. This leads me to believe he is a convert, and could have possibly been a protown role, which would explain his rather...revealing lynching. Thus, a thorough reading of Pizzaguy's posts, just before and just after, may reveal much information...if the town is willing to work for it.


    And town's reaction:

    Quote Originally Posted by White_eyes:D View Post
    *sighs* not another Chaotix please....YLC you just got FoS for talking about hippie-based crap....1 and 2 MIGHT be true but 3 is worthless....because Pizza guy being a Pro-town role? (then why kill shlin?) Just ignore all of Pizza guys posts....he only wants to confuse you....He is VERY tricky....and only wants his side to win by any means necessary
    YLC and White_Eyes have an argument, and White eyes is convinced for the rest of the game that YLC needs to go. On the final lynch, the town chooses YLC over Reenk Roink, even though Reenk had revealed as a detective some 5 turns earlier and was still alive and "unable to investigate".

    Like I said, most of the credit goes to my teammates, because all that bluffing wouldn't have done diddley squat had they not taken the ball and run with it to the endzone. Eventually the town had finally decided to ignore me, so I was only partly and marginally responsible for the win.


    Still, there are times when acting scummy, as a scum, is to your advantage.

    I think that was the second game I ever played in.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 03-06-2009 at 18:32.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

  19. #19

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    OK here's another problem that mafia lessons can be drawn from:

    "Mr. Smith has two children. At least one of them is a boy. What is the probability that both children are boys?"

    Don't look it up...but don't bother putting your answers in spoilers.

  20. #20
    Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    On a pirate ship
    Posts
    12,398
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Okay, looking at it logically... the second, unknown child has a 50% chance of being a boy, assuming no outside factors. However, we haven't accounted for the first (boy) child yet. It should come out to 75%, but I'm sure I'm missing something.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.


  21. #21
    Shadow Senior Member Kagemusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Helsinki,Finland
    Posts
    9,546

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    50% If i flip a coin once. I have a 50% chance of getting heads. If i throw it twice. I still have the same odds.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 04-24-2009 at 21:37.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

  22. #22
    Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    In my own skin.
    Posts
    13,208

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Two children, only three possibilities: 1 girl, 1 boy, 2 boys, 2 girls.

    At least one of them is a boy, so 2 girls is not possible. Only two possibilities left are: 1 girl, 1 boy or 2 boys.

    50 % chance that it's two boys.



    * Making abstraction from hermaphrodites.
    Last edited by Andres; 04-24-2009 at 22:02.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

    Ja mata, TosaInu

  23. #23
    Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,353

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    0

    It was predestined from eternity that Mr. Smith would have one boy, and probability was a false construct.

  24. #24
    Member Member Greyblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,408
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    How about a riddle?

    I am around long before dawn.
    But by lunch I am usually gone.
    You can see me summer, fall, and spring.
    I like to get on everything.
    But when winter winds start to blow;
    Burr, then it's time for me to go!
    What am I?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.


    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  25. #25

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Reenk is closest...lol.

  26. #26
    The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,167

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    Acting scummy, as a scum:

    I intentionally made myself a top suspect as a mafia in Prometheus, and after I died, I went into full on scummy mode. What I did was I played the talkative, accusatory inquisitor and even under repeated threats of death I did not alter my strategy. It took 4 turns before town decided I was more trouble than I was worth.

    I never intended to survive the game, my intention was to be a distraction, and that's where I succeeded. Early on people had locked onto seireikhaan as a suspect, Ichigo in particular, and others followed suit. I forget when, but Reenk Roink had also become a suspect in many people's minds, and both had come close to being lynched.

    I accused seireikhaan of being mafia, and I had an adversarial relationship with Reenk Roink. Finally, town lynches me, and I "reveal" that I am the leader of this cult, and that we are a cult of virtue and enlightenment. My argument was so convincing, a townie decided to seriously entertain my stated explanation for the game, and instead of seireikhaan that round there was a huge bandwagon on Chaotix.

    Later, YLC had started to tell the town to look for clues in my posts, and that immediately made him a suspect too, and he was the final lynch.

    My teammates deserve most of the credit; seireikhaan had asked me to be my usual supertownie self and gave me good advice, and had been one of the masterminds behind Reenk's role reveal which kept him alive for an astounding number of rounds after we had died, and Reenk's solo performance was outstanding. My small part was simply this: Distract town as long as possible, and after my death, use the powers of persuasion to get town to kill themselves even though they knew I was a scum. I had no idea if it would work, but amazingly it did for at least one townie, and that did delay seireikhaan's death for a few rounds.

    Here's some of the quotes in the early game:

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 











    YLC's reaction when I finally died... town chose between me and chaotix for the tie, and was frankly surprised I was scum.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 



    And my postmortem speech;



    Note the bolded part. The entire speech is a subtle argument to let the mafia win. And then:



    And town's reaction:





    Massive bandwagon, and chaotix dies instead of khaan. And for a time, Chaotix redeems himself because he is now convinced of my partner's guilt, but due to the fact that no one believed he was innocent anymore, they ignored khaan and Reenk.



    YLC is the next to suggest people listen to my words, even if they don't believe them;



    And town's reaction:



    YLC and White_Eyes have an argument, and White eyes is convinced for the rest of the game that YLC needs to go. On the final lynch, the town chooses YLC over Reenk Roink, even though Reenk had revealed as a detective some 5 turns earlier and was still alive and "unable to investigate".

    Like I said, most of the credit goes to my teammates, because all that bluffing wouldn't have done diddley squat had they not taken the ball and run with it to the endzone. Eventually the town had finally decided to ignore me, so I was only partly and marginally responsible for the win.


    Still, there are times when acting scummy, as a scum, is to your advantage.

    I think that was the second game I ever played in.

    NOOOOOOO!

    My inglorious past, back to haunt me again!



    If it redeems me, I also was the one to peg Reenk for mafia early on, and kept having a scummy feeling about him long after his detective reveal.

    EDIT: to answer Sasaki's second question, there's a 50% chance. Easy probability.
    Last edited by Chaotix; 04-24-2009 at 22:25.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

  27. #27
    Member Member Greyblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,408
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Edit: nevermind
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-24-2009 at 22:25.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.


    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  28. #28
    Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe
    Posts
    3,700

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Forgets it.
    Last edited by A Very Super Market; 04-24-2009 at 22:39.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

    - Proud Horseman of the Presence

  29. #29
    Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Between Louis' sheets
    Posts
    10,369

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    33%
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

    My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

    I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

  30. #30
    Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,602

    Default Re: Solve this problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    How about a riddle?

    I am around long before dawn.
    But by lunch I am usually gone.
    You can see me summer, fall, and spring.
    I like to get on everything.
    But when winter winds start to blow;
    Burr, then it's time for me to go!
    What am I?
    Shadow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO