Thread: Official Support info

Default Official Support info

Hi,

We have set up a thread on our official forums to update you with the latest support information for Empire: Total War.

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/46422

Thanks,

Mark O’Connell
    The Creative Assembly
    Last edited by Martok; 03-13-2009 at 08:08. Reason: Edited link

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Official Support info

Excellent stuff, thanks Sensei!

Your welcome.

Moderators - can you please sticky this thread? Many thanks.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They would have by now, but they are all too busy playing this darn wonderful game!

I apologise on their behalf.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Great!

Sticky Ho!

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiTW View Post
    Your welcome.

Moderators - can you please sticky this thread? Many thanks.
    Thanks, please be sure to update us all on that Valve "hot-fix".

I just hope that CA is kicking the crap out of Valve for these issues.
    "Après moi le déluge"

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Excellent . It's great to see the level of support CA seem to be commiting to.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Geez. I guess no "hot fix" today, huh?

OK - here is my deal with Steam. The game sticks on "Updating 100%" FOREVER - and my folder size is 14.6 Gigs - so I am missing files. But...I can launch the game - and quickly found that some units are missing textures.

And all of this after 16 hours of downloading.

Nice going Valve. Great way to handle the downloading process.

I will NEVER go digital again, that is for sure.
    "Après moi le déluge"

This link might need to be stickied: http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2009/...ics-work-shop/

Looking forward to regular patches :)

I for one can report flawless installation from DVD (have already been using Steam since HL2)
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Finally got a full install via a method someone hit on from the Center. It did take another 5 hours (!!!) tho'. Well, at least I can play.

Steam? Feh!!
    "Après moi le déluge"

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Five hours is REALLY short.

My download took over a day, and HL2 took around a day as well!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Five hours is REALLY short.

My download took over a day, and HL2 took around a day as well!
    Oh, that was ANOTHER 5 hours - on top of the original 16 hours.

Glad that is over.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Updates from Kieran posted today:

Dear All,

Please allow me to address a number of issues that seem to be repeating. For some there are standard fixes, for others the process is more taillored to your individual machine:

i. Save game bugs: This is being urgently looked at by CA. If you can post in the tech thread with this error and as much information on reproducing it as possible we can do all we can. We thoroughly tested save games before putting Empire out, this is a big part of our testing schedule. Less than 1% of users are currently reporting problems, but this does not make the issue less important. Again, please provide as much info as possible to the technology thread and we'll get this looked at as soon as possible (Programmers are working this weekend on known issues).

ii Steam - Update pauses or hangs: We've had word from Valve that the new Steam update is about to become/ has become (Depending on timezone) available that will notify you of the FAT32 drive problem. This problem is caused by Steam trying to download a file from Empire's install that is larger than 4GB, a size which FAT32 drives cannot handle. The conversion process for users on XP and Vista is fairly simple, but it is recommended you back up data first. This one is our issue and we're looking at ways to fix it as soon as possible, but for now the fix is drive conversion. Apologies for those of you having this problem with FAT32 drives, we weren't aware of this until release.

iii. Steam - Update / install takes ages and resets: Vavle have just given Empire more 'priorty' as far as its bandwidth and servers are concerned. This will make these instances much less regular and should solve them for most people. Download speeds are still dependent on your connection too however.

iv. Misc graphics issues: We're still locking these down. The combination of different cards, driver versions and individual PC setups make this one of the hardest set of issues to debug. These are issues that we've ironed out for most but need to fix for you all before we're happy. So we are looking at all the info coming in and trying to reproduce everything thats reported.

We've been watching this thread and identfying key repeated issues (Like graphics or savegames) and are doing everything we can where it looks like there is a problem with Empire code. Where there is an issue with Steam we immediately contact Valve and to their credit, they have responded very quickly giving Empire players the priorirty they deserve at this stage.

Again, thank you all for your patience and persistance. I know the majority are installing and playing Empire with no issues, but that makes it no less hard or annoying for those of you who can't. We're taking this seriously and are pushing every measure or fix as fast as we can.

All I can ask is that you stay with us while we get to everything.

Kind regards,
    Kieran
    "Après moi le déluge"

Today's update:

Dear all,

A note on the steam update. If it is not being applied automatically (Steam will say 'Updating Steam client' with a progress bar) when you start, then run Steam and go to:

File-->Check for Steam Client Updates.

This should give you a dialogue box that shows two of the issues regarding install and play are fixed.

The save game bugs are being looked at in the context of end turn crashes and any AI move issues, for those of you worried we have missed your issue, please don't be. We're looking at everything thats been raised and working out any correlation between them.

We know how many of you are frustrated and angry and our thanks goes to those of you posting your issues in a polite and patient way.

We're looking at all issues as a matter of priority for patching and have every intention of continuing our support for Empire and all its fans.

Kind regards,
    Kieran
    Last edited by Barkhorn1x; 03-08-2009 at 15:36.
    "Après moi le déluge"

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

From the Sega Support center

1) Nvidia Drivers.

a. After the game was finished, Nvidia released a new set of drivers which we were unable to test before release. Unfortunately this has caused some incompatibilities with the game. We recommend that you roll back to the previous drivers until this is resolved (located here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_182.06_whql.html)

2) STEAM installation issues

a. There are a couple of known issues with STEAM that occur when the servers get very busy.

i. Sometimes downloads will pause whilst downloading from the STEAM servers, the download should eventually restart. However you can force restart the download by selecting pause and then restarting the download using the right mouse button and selecting the appropriate option.

ii. After STEAM downloads the game, sometimes the game cache doesn’t update. In such circumstances, simply quit and restart the STEAM client. This restarts the process and allows the installation to complete.

iii. After a complete installation, sometimes the activation will fail due to the servers being very busy. Usually waiting 5 minutes and trying again solves this issue. If that doesn’t work please close STEAM and restart the client.

iv. Despite having a boxed version, Steam appears to be downloading the whole game. Answer to this here on Customer Services http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=kn...16&nav=0,6,165

STEAM have identified a fix that will correct the majority of problems here that will be implemented ASAP today. In the meantime quitting and restarting STEAM is the best way to resolve these issues.

3) FAT32 (Portable Hard Drive/Old Hard Drive)

a. Due to the large size of the game, FAT32 will not work with the title. You are unlikely to have a FAT32 drive unless you have an old hard disk which you have installed STEAM to, or are using a portable drive. You can fix this problem by converting the hard drive by using any partition tool such as Partition Magic or the Microsoft Tool found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881. We recommend backing up any data on your hard disc before using any partition tool.
    Link: http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=kn...17&nav=0,6,165
    Tosa Inu

Old news.

Here's new news from CA:

Hi guys,

We will be rolling out the first of a series of updates later today with a variety of fixes for Empire: Total War, including:

Fixed Alt-Tab issue which prevents players from switching away from a full screen window
    Fixed text rendering for certain resolutions
    Fixed localized font overrun issues.
    Fixed a variety of crash and memory leak issues
    Fixed a variety of multiplayer client lock
    Fixed trade nodes for those nations with resource in home region which caused unprofitable trade theatre routes eg: Sweden and Marathas.

There is a constant support program in process which is using your feedback as well as our own testing. We are currently working on the next update which will be available early next week.

Thanks,

Mark O'Connell
    (aka SenseiTW)
    http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic...formation.html
    Last edited by Barkhorn1x; 03-10-2009 at 17:54.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

For reference, steam will show updates for ETW here:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?...s&appids=10500

the opening post - the link does not work.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggley View Post
    the opening post - the link does not work.
    Gah! You're right.

I edited the OP and put in the correct link.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

thats not a very good support thread - there is some help with the OP - but the rest of the pages are ppl with problems, that dont seem to be answered - is someone meant to be helping there or is it a black hole? not that ive searched the pages, 24+ for the fix to my problem or anything.

it would be very useful if we were informed at when exactly the support line is open for calls, anyone know?!

Today's CA Update (03/13):

Dear All,

I'd just like to add that we're watching all the threads reporting bugs and issues and feeding these into our own testing and patching process.
    As we said recently another patch will be released early next week, which addresses several critical problems and more are planned beyond that point.

The reason we dont list every detail a patch will cover is because some problems, when investigated, turn out to require longer to fix and get moved into the next patch cycle.
    Therefore we don't list ahead of time everything that will be fixed. Equally sometimes smaller issues get fixed very quickly and are included at the last minute.

Again, our thanks to those of you who are highlighting issues with politeness and patience, we're working hard not only to correct outstanding problems but to expand Empire's playability too.

Kind regards,
    Kieran
    http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic...n.html?page=22

Hey, I am up for a patch a week just as long as all the issues get addressed eventually.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Indeed, ETW will be pretty stable and streamlined by the time it's nice and cheap.

just called the sega suuport line and found out some information - from a very helpful football manager support person.

The support line for ETW is open Monday - Friday.

9 a.m - 5 p.m

there is an email address - help@sega.com

hope this helps some ppl!

hi
    i installed empire total war

but when i start the game by loader, it says app not installed correctly, reinstall

but when i start the exe it goes to the first screen, the one with courtesy of national maritime museum

after that it crashes to desktop

i am really harrowed,
    appreciate any help

sys reqs are

processor- p4 3.0 ghz
    graphis- 512mb nvidia geforce8400gs
    ram- 512mb

Quote Originally Posted by m_1512 View Post
    hi
    i installed empire total war

but when i start the game by loader, it says app not installed correctly, reinstall

but when i start the exe it goes to the first screen, the one with courtesy of national maritime museum

after that it crashes to desktop

i am really harrowed,
    appreciate any help

sys reqs are

processor- p4 3.0 ghz
    graphis- 512mb nvidia geforce8400gs
    ram- 512mb
    I don't believe you computer is powerful enough to handle this game.
    System requirements are posted here.
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 07-22-2009 at 08:00.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this whole thing. I enjoyed looking through all your trip reports. Great pics!

Good post. I appreciate it.
    Many thanks to ur post. I love it.