Thread: Hitting the armory

Blog Entries

Default Hitting the armory

You can probably guess what this is about but ill tell you anyway
    About 10 minutes ago i was partaking in a skirmish naval duel between a British sloop(me) and a Prussian galley. I thought ot would be a simple but fun game so I used the sloop to cross the T and opened fire. At the same time the galley fired it 2 main guns and while I was inspecting the damage my rake had done I heard a great Bang!

When I looked to see what had happened my sloop was a burning, sinking, dismasted wreck. I guess that the cannon balls had hit the powder room. Either way it was one heck of a shock! Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 03-05-2009 at 17:09.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Hitting the armory

That sounds pretty awesome. Never knew about that...
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I don’t have the game yet, but for some reason I think galleys had their guns firing forward and not from the side.

They could always point the ship with the ores… In such case it is better to attack from the rear and sides…

As to Bang! It is a thin ship and galleys carried big guns to shoot up front…at least historically…that is why I pointed out my game has not come yet.

edit:
    in the demo I had one ship burn while stuck to a French ship and one of mine was passing by...It burned and exploded taking all three ships along.
    Last edited by Fisherking; 03-05-2009 at 17:17.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I was mopping up the remains of a fleet - they had one ship left, and I was considering boarding it to add it to the fleet.

Bang!

One of my minor sloops explodes. The funny thing is, it was close enough to the enemy ship that its sails caught on fire, spread to the hull, and then sank it without me firing another shot.

just desserts, I say

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    I don’t have the game yet, but for some reason I think galleys had their guns firing forward and not from the side.

They could always point the ship with the ores… In such case it is better to attack from the rear and sides…

As to Bang! It is a thin ship and galleys carried big guns to shoot up front…at least historically…that is why I pointed out my game has not come yet.

edit:
    in the demo I had one ship burn while stuck to a French ship and one of mine was passing by...It burned and exploded taking all three ships along.
    Galleys have four guns, which fireforwards so as not to destroy the oars. They are also pathetically weak ships and pretty easy to mow down with cannon.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Galleys have four guns, which fireforwards so as not to destroy the oars. They are also pathetically weak ships and pretty easy to mow down with cannon.
    Well now we know for sure…Do Not Cross the T of a galley!!!

Danger, Warning!

We know how the magazine went up now any way, don’t we…

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I had an entertaining 7 vs 9 (AI) ship engangement where the AI's admiral was unlucky enough to have his magazine ignite. It's quite the sight. But it wasn't a first lucky shot, think it was the 4th broadside on the him that did it.

Yikes, it's like being on a floating Ford Pinto all the time, never knowing when it's gonna explode

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Actually in-game thats not comepletely true. In my experience the hull is so low down most ammo overshot and miss completely. Also it blew the magazine of a sloop so it isnt that bad a ship.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Actually in-game thats not comepletely true. In my experience the hull is so low down most ammo overshot and miss completely. Also it blew the magazine of a sloop so it isnt that bad a ship.
    I can't say I used them much, but it's nice to know they aren't useless .

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------